Anjalika01 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

There's been a lot of posts on here recently about regressive/sexist scenes and storylines in Bollywood films...

I'm very surprised that Namaste London has never been mentioned in these discussions (especially when even DDLJ and a lot of fairly inoffensive comedies have been brought up in that context)... and it's not even just on this forum, NL is generally well loved (hence it became a blockbuster), but I find the story and overall message (which is way more important than one song or scene imo) EXTREMELY regressive for it's times...

Does anyone else on here agree?

Edited by Anjalika01 - 3 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Stella_001 thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Agreed .. the way people in Jazz’s life criticised her lifestyle and used to preach about so called culture like wtf !! She did nothing wrong but lived her life on her own terms .. and ending of the movie creeped me out like why should jazz leave her life and career behind and settle down somewhere else ?! Why couldn’t they show Arjun settling down in London ... 

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

How was it regressive ?  

Veni-Vidi-Vici thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

100 percent regressive. I feel for Katrina's character 

Originally posted by: 2RsFan

How was it regressive ?  

It justified forced marriages, showed it was wrong for a woman to live life on her own terms, and finally showed that she gave up her career and dreams to settle as a housewife in some village.

Also, it showed that Indians were preachy hypocrites who cared only about their image and nothing else. And that "iNdIan WoMen sHoUld aLwAys mArRy OtHeR inDiAnS"

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Mahisa22

It justified forced marriages, showed it was wrong for a woman to live life on her own terms, and finally showed that she gave up her career and dreams to settle as a housewife in some village.

But Akki’s character never forced her for anything, it was  completely her decision at the end 

Originally posted by: 2RsFan

But Akki’s character never forced her for anything, it was  completely her decision at the end 

That looked unnatural and it ended up justifying her father's bone-headedness and regressive mentality. It vindicates his decision in the end.

The movie is made from a typical chauvinistic Indian POV: wE cAnNoT leT GoRaS TaKe oUr WoMeN

zehreeli.kheer thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

The only watchable Katrina movie so i will let it be😆

PangaNaLe thumbnail
Own Your Stories Participant 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Yes, it's regressive. The reason people don't care to mention it is because people don't care about Akshay like they care about SRK.