Debate Mansion

Bollywood has spoken, because Modi selfies aren’t really helping - Page 2

Stella_001 thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

This content was originally posted by: rkisnothot

What are you even talking about? BLM is an irrelevant topic for India so nobody cares what anyone says on it. I don't remember DP saying anything which already shows what a non-impact it had. Commenting on American issues is just easy virtue signaling - look woke and cool without any ramifications. These starlets all jump on things like this because it gives them something cool to post about on instagram since they crave activity everyday.

Regarding mental health - it's good she spoke up but that's not a violent political issue the way Dalit murders are. In that case, even others speak about causes like acid attack victims. Whatever she said about mental health has gone down the drain anyway after the SSR bots took over. 

And that’s exactly my point they can all speak about blm to look cool or woke but not about issues of their own country and that’s exactly why I am calling them spineless 

Again discrimination against Dalits isn’t a political issue , it’s about basic human rights ! 
and isn’t that what I am saying they should use their platform for other issues as well ... 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

hotchoco thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

This content was originally posted by: Stella_001

And that’s exactly my point they can all speak about blm to look cool or woke but not about issues of their own country and that’s exactly why I am calling them spineless 

Again discrimination against Dalits isn’t a political issue , it’s about basic human rights ! 
and isn’t that what I am saying they should use their platform for other issues as well ... 

You're missing the point completely. "They all" is the falsity you keep repeating. As I said, it's only a handful of starlets who posted about stuff like BLM to look cool. That is not the industry. Maybe you can campaign to Kareena, Priyanka, Deepika and Sara Ali Khan to make them speak about Dalit murders. 

Discrimination of any type shouldn't be a political issue but that is the reality. We don't live in an ideal world. Speaking about Dalit deaths in any state will have the entire political machinery of that state and even the central government gunning for whoever speaks out. Then filthy anchors like Arnab will spend days attacking the celeb and incite boycotts and hatred. Nobody speaks up when their livelihood is threatened. There is no comparison here with HW celebs the way you kept doing.

Manavi_kesari thumbnail
IPL 2023 Participants 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 12 Thumbnail + 4

They are anti elements in bolly industry who want to destroy bolly . Bolly ppl who make noise on everything must speak on drugs , me too n anti elements in bolly . Not cover up , don’t normalise , don’t glamorise , don’t endorse anti elements . clean up n save bw . bw stars are below law of land Bharat , period .

BollyPC thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8

Flop uncles like SRK are too scared of everything now. Sad state 

YoursTrulyOne thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Harley_Quinn

Not really on topic, but it's sad how everyone from media to people stopped caring (government never cared) about Hathras gang rape case. No latest updates or anything. Is it because the victim was a dalit woman or because it happened in BJP ruled state? I suppose both.

the incident went out from the public memory fast , people actually outraged more on that  tanishq ad than this 

filmykeeda thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Can modi stop stealing bollywood's thunder? And it's too long to read. Whatever.. 

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

India is not like America or any western country  . We have seen how actors have been targeted for statements they did not even make in the past 

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Kya freedom of expression in America? 

In America and maybe rest of the west there’s a heavy price to pay for going against the liberal mob and their ever changing mores

A slight disagreement and they demand your head in the platter

P.S  Last time I posted something similar I got PM filled with galiyan

Edited by BettyA1 - 3 years ago
TotalBetty thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: JackSparrowcraz

Bollywood was safe, till it wasn’t

Bollywood actors’ apolitical and rather spineless character is fairly well-known. Most of them do not speak about political or social matters outside the purview of well-organised NGO-type events. Unless of course, it is an international movement that warrants an unavoidable Instagram post. One cannot let go of opportunities to garner international woke credits, na?

“We’re all here for love, girl,” to quote Priyanka Chopra’s (not) iconic line, is basically the principle that actors espouse. This can also be translated to: ‘I don’t want any trouble’. The actor was questioned by a Pakistani woman at an event for having supported India’s military action against Pakistan despite her being a United Nations Goodwill Ambassador.

And this business of steering clear of any backlash from the political class and the general public, made several people in the industry believe that they were safe from most the untoward events, which they were for the longest time. In the past few years, no massive controversy has surrounded Bollywood as an industry. Perhaps, Modi’s selfie magic works after all.

However, I am fairly certain they did not know that the Modi ‘magic’ had an expiration date. The moment actor Sushant Singh Rajput committed suicide, the entire Hindi film industry got embroiled in the eye of a rather unexpected but massive storm. Suddenly, Bollywood was the subject of every news channel’s prime time debate with discussions on prevalent nepotism and lack of opportunities. And as everyone knows, it soon devolved into mud-slinging and vitriolic hate.

All of this was combined with a drug probe into some of the industry’s biggest stars like Deepika Padukone and Shraddha Kapoor. Actor Rhea Chakraborty was arrested and spent a month in jail.

Speaking out as self-preservation

But the industry was fairly quiet for all these months, except of course those who are already known to be vocal about relevant issues. There was also quite a bit of noise from a certain actor who took the trait of ‘making everything about herself’ to the next level. The least said about Kangana Ranaut the better.

Now, however, the cream of Bollywood has decided to take matters into their own hands. Their own rather selfish hands at that. When someone comes for your livelihood and your space, you are liable to speak up and this is exactly what this defamation suit proves.

Recently, India witnessed the tragic death of a 20-year-old Dalit woman who was allegedly gangraped and brutally assaulted. However, not many of those from the film industry, with their millions of followers or outreach, chose to speak up.

But when the noose gets too tight to breach the comfort, there is little to do but take action. They didn’t speak up when Rhea Chakraborty was getting brutally vilified, nor when Kangana Ranaut peddled hate against everyone. This privileged lot of Bollywood chose to speak up only when there was a threat to their movies and their businesses.

As political analyst Zainab Sikander tweeted, “They (Bollywood) only speak up when they’re in danger of going out of business since everyone wants to boycott them. Till now, they were silent spectators to all sorts of bullying to different sections of society.”

The timing of this legal action is also interesting. It was filed three days before cinemas reopened after being shut for seven months due to the Covid-induced lockdown. Now, that cinema halls are back in business and several big-budget films of these A-list actors are lined up (Akshay Kumar’s Laxmmi Bomb and Ranveer Singh’s 83 to name a few), no wonder a spine was found somewhere in all that apathy.

In all of this, it is important to remember their silences. Bollywood may have found a voice now, but it is a selfish one, and only for itself.

Bold & Bold - Is this another SSR vs Rhea topic disguised as a non SSR vs Rhea topic

Edited by BettyA1 - 3 years ago
TotalBetty thumbnail

There was no selfie culture, smartphone during Sonia and her family’s rule... It became widespread and part of everyday life only in this decade