Ishq Mein Marjawan 2

As #Navratri2020 goes virtual TV celeb share their memories

Lunamovas thumbnail
Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail Anniversary 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 3 years ago

It’s that time of the year when serpentine queues outside shops selling Navratri outfits and accessories are common, and you know that the nine-day dance festival is just around the corner. But this year, the COVID-19 pandemic has dampened the festive spirit and all large-scale celebrations have been cancelled as a precautionary measure. While some are gearing up for virtual celebrations, we spoke to some TV actors about their fondest Navratri memories, and also how they plan to usher in the festive season.

I have been a fan of garba ever since i got introduced to it: Dheeraj Dhoopar

A few years back, I was introduced to dandiya nights in Mumbai and since then, I have been a fan. But my fondest memory has to be the first time I went to a garba night with some friends, as I was stunned by the grandeur of it. This year, festive celebrations have to be low-key. I will be shooting during Navratri and will have low-key celebrations with my family.

I have won prizes at various garba competitions as a kid: Rashami Desai

My fondest memories are from my childhood days, when I would win prizes at garba competitions and always keep up with the new fashion and dance trends. But once I started working, I hardly got any time to play garba. As a Gujarati, Navratri holds special importance for me. We will have a small puja at home. It’s fine if we miss playing garba this year and focus on our safety. We can celebrate next year.

I remember doing garba all night: Sharad Malhotra

I’ve always been astounded by the grandeur at the garba venues. I have also enjoyed dancing all night during Navratri and even if one isn’t familiar with the steps, the energy around helps you to shed all your inhibitions and dance freely. While I will miss it all, cancelling garba events is the need of the hour. This year, my nani (maternal grandmother) and my pet Musky passed away, and I was tested positive for COVID-19. We will have a simple puja

and make some bhog at home.

I used to take a day off and fly to Vadodara to play garba: Shrenu Parikh

During my school days, I used to go to the Navlakhi Ground in Vadodara every year for playing garba and won a few prizes too. I would also insist on buying nine new outfits every year. Later, I became a loyal fan of musician Atul Purohit and couldn’t even think of going anywhere else. I also remember taking a day’s off from shoot and flying down to Vadodara from Mumbai just to celebrate the festival.

I would enjoy dandiya nights and pandal hopping in Mumbai: Ridhi Dogra

What I will miss the most is the coming together of so many cultures. I hail from Delhi, where the celebrations are majorly about organising jagrata and Ram Leela. But in Mumbai, I have enjoyed dandiya nights and pandal hopping. This year, the best celebration will be to look after our health and take all precautions till a vaccine is found. I’m looking forward to being a part of virtual parties and starting my next project. That’s the best way to usher in Navratri 2020.

I loved sari shopping and dandiya nights: Devoleena Bhattacharjee

My fondest festive memories include saree shopping before the festival followed by pandal hopping with friends, feasting on the sumptuous prasad at pandals. Over the years, I have also enjoyed dandiya nights. This year, I will be shooting for Saath Nibhana Saathiya 2 and will be playing garba on the sets while shooting for a festive track. This time, I may have to opt for virtual celebration.

I would ask for a 7 am shift so that I could play garba: Aneri Vajani

Diwali se zyada Navratri important rahi hai mere liye. Before signing a TV show even at the beginning of my career, I would ask for a 7 am shift during Navratri, so that I could pack up early and play garba. Initially, I would dress up differently on each of the nine nights but soon, I switched to denim and kurtis. My wow moment was when I was doing Nisha Aur Uske Cousins, and I was called on stage at my all-time favourite garba venue. Virtual garba matlab actual garba ki tauheen hai, so I will just listen to Falguni (Pathak) and dance a little at home.

I will miss dancing on Gujarati folk songs this year: Jay Soni

I really enjoy dancing on traditional and folk songs. My fondest memory was when I had just started playing garba and wasn’t well-equipped with the dandiyas. We were all playing and a girl hit my hand so hard that my fingers started to bleed. However, I am not keen on being a part of virtual garba events.

Used to play garba till wee hours, gorge on food every Navratri: Helly Shah

Be it school’s garba events or playing with friends till wee hours and then gorging on delicious food, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Amdavad’s Navratri. From shopping for chaniya cholis and jewellery almost every year to travelling to Vadodara and Rajkot, I’ve done it all. After moving to Mumbai, I hardly got time to play garba due to work schedule.

I usually balance pandal hopping & dandiya nights: Shantanu Maheshwari

I am from Kolkata and Navratri means balancing pandal hopping and dandiya nights. Usually, I am in Kolkata during Navratri, alternating between pandal hopping and playing garba with friends and family. For me, the celebrations this year will be virtual - I will just look at pictures and videos of venues sent by my

relatives and friends.

— TOI