Gulzar's movie Libaas - will we ever get to watch it

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 3 years ago

https://www.hindustantimes.com/bollywood/gulzar-s-unreleased-film-libaas-to-finally-hit-the-screens-29-years-after-being-made/story-qQ7HMNyGkfNXQUM5Jfdu6J.html

Have you guys heard silli hawa choo gayi!!! That song is from Gulzar's unreleased movie Libaas. The movie had a lot of other hummable songs too. 

The movie faced problems with the censor board because the female lead played by Shabana Azmi has an affair with her husband (naseeruddin shah's) buddy played by Raj Babbar. I don't know why the movie was banned as that wasn't the first time such a thing was shown in Hindi movies - Guide was based on such a theme... Shabana's character in Ankur also does something similar. Other movies had men do the cheating part. I know the story as I have read the short story it is based on - seema. I loved it

Maybe the censor board objected to the fact that both the estranged husband and wife are shown to be happy in their new lives.. The erring woman didn't 'pay the price'. 

I have searched everywhere for the movie but could get only a trailer online. Every now and then some article crops up telling that the movie will be released but nothing happens. The movie got a good response in film festivals.. Hope ordinary people like me get to watch the movie too. 

https://scroll.in/reel/692226/the-curious-tale-of-gulzars-libaas-made-in-1988-and-never-released

This is a different story.. Talks about a spat between Gulzar and the producer... Good that Gulzar didn't bow down to the demands by distributors to change the ending 

Yes and I love love love that song, the lyrics are gold

They can release it on YT. I saw a weird and unfinished movie by either Hrishikesh Mukherjee or Basu Chatterjee, starring Zeenat Aman, on YT. Searched for the whole movie couldn't find it. 

What does libaas mean? ðŸ˜•

Originally posted by heartbleed

What does libaas mean? ðŸ˜•

Urdu word for clothing

Originally posted by Lulzbolly

Urdu word for clothing

😲

With clothing as the title of the film, I wonder what kind of a pathetic film it must be. 

Edited by heartbleed - 3 years ago

Originally posted by heartbleed

😲

With clothing as the title of the film, I wonder what kind of a pathetic film it must be. 

Only if English could be capable enough to maintain the Essence of Urdu & Hindi. 

Libas must be a metaphor to represent multiple partners IMO, haven't seen it

Originally posted by Veni-Vidi-Vici

https://www.hindustantimes.com/bollywood/gulzar-s-unreleased-film-libaas-to-finally-hit-the-screens-29-years-after-being-made/story-qQ7HMNyGkfNXQUM5Jfdu6J.html

Have you guys heard silli hawa choo gayi!!! That song is from Gulzar's unreleased movie Libaas. The movie had a lot of other hummable songs too. 

The movie faced problems with the censor board because the female lead played by Shabana Azmi has an affair with her husband (naseeruddin shah's) buddy played by Raj Babbar. I don't know why the movie was banned as that wasn't the first time such a thing was shown in Hindi movies - Guide was based on such a theme... Shabana's character in Ankur also does something similar. Other movies had men do the cheating part. I know the story as I have read the short story it is based on - seema. I loved it

Maybe the censor board objected to the fact that both the estranged husband and wife are shown to be happy in their new lives.. The erring woman didn't 'pay the price'. 

I have searched everywhere for the movie but could get only a trailer online. Every now and then some article crops up telling that the movie will be released but nothing happens. The movie got a good response in film festivals.. Hope ordinary people like me get to watch the movie too. 

That's a beautifully sung song. I have the version of song where Gulzar praises lata ji in the beginning.

One of my fav song of mood when I wanna stay alone