Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

IPKKND Color Analysis (Khushi's outfits)

ItsRain thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

These wonderful analysis posts have inspired me to publish a post I had made on tumblr a few years ago! Here it is đŸ˜Š

~

While re-watching episodes from the Payash Wedding track, I noticed something significant about the colors Khushi Kumari Gupta wears, and the symbolism behind each color along with the events that follow during that particular time. 

Each day, starting from the sangeet ceremony up until the actual wedding, the various colors she adorns seem to reflect the graph of her relationship with Arnav, be it the positive highlights or the eventual negative, post the wedding.

1. The sangeet ceremony

Khushi wears a striking emerald green sari for her last performance, and we see her wearing this while Arnav steps in to dance with her (meanwhile killing us all with the sequence GAH). This gesture feels foreign to her, as she is used to him being  the ‘I’ll-act-like-I-don’t-care-about-you-Arnav’ instead of the Arnav that is dancing with her because he wants to, not because he has to. This Arnav is different - his eyes are speaking words she has never felt before, and although she is confused that it feels different, she knows it is a good different.

Green, the color of renewal, harmony and growth. Their past is forgotten as of now and they are one step closer to mending what is broken. For the first time they are together and in sync, effortlessly dancing their way into a new and better phase in their relationship. They are not two heads clashing against one another at all times, but two hearts trying to know and feel each other.

“The expression “greener pastures” and “grass is greener” are used in reference to something newer or better.”

2. The mehendi ceremony

Khushi adorns a beige colored anarkali with bright pink works on it, the bright pink being the main focus of this beautiful outfit. The slight nok-jhoks, Arnav’s teasing and Khushi’s heartbeats all create a light hearted mood in place of the usual tension, intensity and angst. Khushi is branded with an â€˜A’ on her mehendi filled hands, and tries her best to cover up for it while Arnav is amused at this and confronts her about it, for the first time, in a playful way. The voice-mail he received where she said she was worried for him, to touching her hand in the water by the poolside, to finally daring her to do what she couldn’t have imagined doing - I see the ultimate flirt in Arnav, constantly finding excuses to be with the girl he is so helplessly drawn to.

Pink, the color of playfulness, romance and charm. Arnav holds her dupatta and pulls her close like a bollywood hero, while Khushi’s cheeks turn laal seconds after his kiss that will invade her mind for hours on end afterwards. Both smitten, everything feels warm and fuzzy all around.

“Passion and power from the color red, softened with the purity and openness of the white color completes pink… The deeper the pink color, the more passion and energy it radiates.”

3. Akash and Payal’s havan

Wearing a vibrant yellow anarkali along with an orange dupatta, Khushi mirrors the emotions she is feeling at that point in time. Her heart leaps whenever her eyes meet Arnav’s, yet she is still not sure of her emotions and what they mean.  Arnav fruitlessly searches for Khushi, worried out of his wits for her, wondering if she is safe. Running after an ambulance, screaming her name in vain - all because she had come to mean way too much for him, too much for him to even think about existing without her.  

“Too little yellow causes feelings of isolation and fear and insecurity.”  This lines up with the lack of Khushi’s presence building an immense amount of fear in Arnav.

When she was finally in front of him, he yells like a mad man, holds her face and says, â€œWhat if I lost you?”. The first thought in his mind, the fear of losing her. Later on we see him gifting her a set of bangles, which again reflects his change of heart. She wears it with utmost joy, but cannot believe that Arnav Singh Raizada would be the sender of the beautiful bangles. When she asks him to tell her if he was really the one who bought it for her, he declares the truth, saying yes. 

Yellow, the color of joy, hope and clarity. The joy of that came with gifting Khushi the bangles and seeing a smile on her face warmed Arnav’s heart, while the joy of receiving them from the one person her heartbeats belonged to made Khushi beam with happiness. It plants a seed of hope in her, hope that this sudden change of heart will forever remain. Arnav realizes his love for Khushi on this same night later on as he stands by the french doors in his room, thus bringing a sense of clarity in his life, a definite revelation. 

4. Morning/afternoon of the Wedding Day

Khushi wears a rich, deep orange colored suit. The vibrancy of the color almost makes it look red, but it is more of a bold orange which lacks the brilliance of true red. There is now something gentle about the way they look at and regard each other. They have gazed at each other for endless moments many times before, but this time they did so with a smile on their faces that radiated warmth. Arnav even becomes a waiter for her, swallowing his leftover ego which has since reduced to almost nothing - all because of her. She has already changed him to be the man he is today. A man with love pouring out of his soul, waiting to be expressed.

“Orange will help a person recover from disappointments, a wounded heart, or a blow to one’s pride.”

Arnav Singh Raizada is a man with a wounded heart, but his decision to declare his love for her is a reflection of the color on Khushi. 

Orange, the color of change, passion and expression. The possible confession of love will bring significant change in their relationship, one that both Arnav and Khushi look forward to. The tension between them is evident, but it is not suppressed anymore, rather it is professed and conveyed. Emotions are felt and expressed, whether by words, actions or looks. Simple gestures go a long way now. Voices lower to almost whispers.

“Khushi, main tumse…” A sentence left unfinished, yet Khushi knew how it ends.

“Aap… humse,” She said, a half uttered question. Waiting to hear it from his lips.

5. Evening of the Wedding Day

Khushi is still wearing the orange suit, anticipating the arrival of Arnav on the terrace, waiting for him to tell her kyun farak padhta hai. Overwhelmed by her emotions she waits, a soft smile playing on her lips.

Then, reality is changed when Shyam shows up, revealing his vile intentions.

Once again - Orange, the color of change. The change could have been the start of newfound love for Arnav and Khushi, a new beginning. But the change turned out to be the beginning of the end. Arnav opens the terrace door and witnesses Shyam hugging the woman he loves, listens to her telling his brother in law to leave his sister. Every ounce of hope shatters.

“Dark orange may represent deceit and distrust.”

6. Night of the Wedding

Khushi changes into a blood red and royal blue colored lehenga for the actual wedding ceremony. The damage has already been done at that point, Khushi’s desperation to talk to Arnav after the terrace incident went in vain as he didn’t even want to face her. She is now wondering about the cause of his sudden change in behavior - why were his eyes cold and distant? The man who made her heart race with passionate gazes, why were his eyes pierced with rage?

Red, the color of anger, violence and danger.

Although red is a telltale sign of love, in this case it represents fury. Seething anger and upcoming danger. 

“Red represents power and courage.” Arnav Singh Raizada’s power to make Khushi do what he demands, the power to manipulate her for what he deems the only right option. The courage needed to not only decide to marry her for the sake of his sister, but to actually carry it out. The courage needed to not only accept his demand, but to sacrifice herself for the sake of her sister. The courage needed to face their families, to endure the blames, the questions, the pain.

Blue, the color of sadness, trust and loyalty. The shadow of pain and sadness that has engulfed everyone at this point in time was foreshadowed with the deep blue color on Khushi’s lehenga. Trust, a component that is missing in their relationship and will continue to, months after the wedding. Loyalty, something that Shyam lacks, witnessed by Arnav just a few hours before. Loyal, something he does not see Khushi as. He thinks of her as disloyal and untrustworthy, and it disgusts him. 

“The phrase “true blue” stands for someone who is loyal, trustworthy, and faithful.”

The blue in her lehenga represents that she is in fact loyal, a reminder of her trustworthiness and honesty. The fact that she was and will always be only his, not anyone else’s.

“The terms “feeling blue” or “getting the blues” refers to the extreme calm feelings associated with blue, such as sadness and depression.”

Pain and sadness have become the two ruling emotions.

“The expression “into the blue” means entering the unknown or uncertainty, not knowing what you’re walking into.”

Neither of them know what to expect from this marriage that will bind them together. They are now walking an uncertain path - once again entering a new phase in their relationship.

Quoted sentences and color meanings courtesy of the internet.

Note: I don’t know whether this has been written about before; I just wanted to document my own thoughts! I may continue this series of analyzing how IPK has brilliantly used color to convey character growth and depth in the future. As always, let me know your thoughts and what you think of Khushi's outfits during this track! ❤️ - Rain

My original post: https://myloveforstuff.tumblr.com/post/164612348280/ipkknd-color-analysis

Edited by ItsRain - 3 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ssttuuttii thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Hello!

This is such a well thought out post. I like the way you have used sentences from color symbolism and then tried finding that in the given situation.

And having the pictures alongside is a bonus. (Although I remember all the outfits as clear as day. This is my favorite track and the one during which I started watching IPK regularly) â¤ď¸

I would love to read other such posts! Please do continue this series! đŸ˜ƒ

Love,

Stuti

P.S. Might be back later to edit this post if I feel like adding any observations from my side. It's 3 in the night here and I'm too sleepy to think deeply right now.

bubulswt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Oh my god really deep analysis I never gave a thought to the colors of Khushi's dress 

this is some thing very different but very much related and well explained

ItsRain thumbnail

Originally posted by: ssttuuttii

Hello!

This is such a well thought out post. I like the way you have used sentences from color symbolism and then tried finding that in the given situation.

And having the pictures alongside is a bonus. (Although I remember all the outfits as clear as day. This is my favorite track and the one during which I started watching IPK regularly) â¤ď¸

I would love to read other such posts! Please do continue this series! đŸ˜ƒ

Love,

Stuti

P.S. Might be back later to edit this post if I feel like adding any observations from my side. It's 3 in the night here and I'm too sleepy to think deeply right now.

Hi Stuti!!

Thank you so much! â¤ď¸ I'm so glad you liked the idea. 

And yesss some of my MOST favorite outfits KKG wore were from this track! These episodes, man 

Will post more in the future for sure and would love to hear any observations you might have as well! 

Hope you had a good night's rest,

Rain

ItsRain thumbnail

Originally posted by: bubulswt

Oh my god really deep analysis I never gave a thought to the colors of Khushi's dress 

this is some thing very different but very much related and well explained

Yayyy I'm so happy you liked it! Thank you lovely đŸ¤—

coderlady thumbnail
Most Comments (2023) 1 Thumbnail Most Comments (July 2023)  1 Thumbnail + 8

Great job analyzing the color combinations and their significance to the story line.

ItsRain thumbnail

Originally posted by: coderlady

Great job analyzing the color combinations and their significance to the story line.

Thank you so much!! đŸ˜Š

Savera84 thumbnail

That was a super thought out post, Rain.

Khushi looked amazingly lovely in all those outfits and your analysis has given it another dimension.

They are not simple dresses, they have a deep meaning to them.

The only dress I did not like was, that Red and Blue combo when the disaster struck.

Who was the costume designer?  That was a job well done. đŸ‘đŸź

Cheers......

Ipkknd_test1 thumbnail

Really liked all the costumes and must say Sanaya carried them off beautifully..

This was such a beautiful phase in IPKKND ... :-)

ItsRain thumbnail

Originally posted by: Savera84

That was a super thought out post, Rain.

Khushi looked amazingly lovely in all those outfits and your analysis has given it another dimension.

They are not simple dresses, they have a deep meaning to them.

The only dress I did not like was, that Red and Blue combo when the disaster struck.

Who was the costume designer?  That was a job well done. đŸ‘đŸź

Cheers......

Thank you Raji đŸ¤— 

Sanaya/Khushi can pull off any outfit with such ease! I think my favorite out of these would have to be the gorgeous green saree â¤ď¸

I just searched it up and couldn't find the costume designer or anyone from the costume team on IPK. If anyone knows or can find out, please mention it in the replies - I would love to know as well!