Radha Krishna

Subhadra - Her Origin Story

Beyhadhh thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

In the show, it is not explained how Subhadra is Krishn and Balram sister, when she was born, etc.

Leaving the show aside for a moment, I would like to know Subhadra origin story. Is she born to Vasudev-Deviki ? (That's most likely not possible since both of them were in jail and children were killed by Kans)

My mythology knowledge is not very good so I would love to hear your perspective/stories on this topic.

Edited by Beyhadhh - 3 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

HearMeRoar thumbnail

She was born after Kansa's death to Vasudev and ROHINI, not Devaki. 

Subhadra was half-sister to Krishna as Balram was half-brother. 

The origin stories about her being the child exchanged for Krishna are only from Odissi folktales. THAT child was born same day as Krishna and supposedly lived in Mathura and is presented as a separate person by Harivamsa. Her name was Ekanamsa, and she was supposed to be Nidra avatar. MBh also says Ekanamsa was a child of the Angirasa clan called Kuhu.

Subhadra was more than 11 years (per text) younger than Krishna and Ekanamsa. In reality, 17 years or so younger. Subhadra was not Ekanamsa/Kuhu/Nidra.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago
ScorcherOfFoes thumbnail

This is how Krishn introduces Subhadra to Arjuna-

O descendant of the Bharata lineage! The one with the eyes of a lotus smilingly spoke these words, “How is it that the mind of one who lives in the forest is agitated by desire? O Partha! She is my sister and from the same womb as Sarana If your mind is set on her, I can speak to my father myself.”

- Mahabharata, Volume 2, translated by Bibek Debroy

Sarana was probably Rohini's son. So Subhadra is her daughter and Krishn's step sister.

According to Harivamsa, She was named Chitra at birth and later was renowned by the name Subhadra.

dhun.laagi thumbnail
Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

She was born after Kansa's death to Vasudev and ROHINI, not Devaki. 

Subhadra was half-sister to Krishna as Balram was half-brother. 

The origin stories about her being the child exchanged for Krishna are only from Odissi folktales. THAT child was born same day as Krishna and supposedly lived in Mathura and is presented as a separate person by Harivamsa. Her name was Ekanamsa, and she was supposed to be Nidra avatar. MBh also says Ekanamsa was a child of the Angirasa clan called Kuhu.

Subhadra was more than 11 years (per text) younger than Krishna and Ekanamsa. In reality, 17 years or so younger. Subhadra was not Ekanamsa/Kuhu/Nidra.

Thanks for sharing ❤️

Originally posted by: ScorcherOfFoes

This is how Krishn introduces Subhadra to Arjuna-

O descendant of the Bharata lineage! The one with the eyes of a lotus smilingly spoke these words, “How is it that the mind of one who lives in the forest is agitated by desire? O Partha! She is my sister and from the same womb as Sarana If your mind is set on her, I can speak to my father myself.”

- Mahabharata, Volume 2, translated by Bibek Debroy

Sarana was probably Rohini's son. So Subhadra is her daughter and Krishn's step sister.

According to Harivamsa, She was named Chitra at birth and later was renowned by the name Subhadra.