Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

A Suitable Boy: Ishaan Tabu Randeep Hooda etc

SriDevi89 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

I've just finished watchingthe BBC adaptation of the book A Suitable Boy. The book itself is a favourite of mine so any adaptation would be welcomed by me but also met with some apprehension. I was skeptical of some of the casting decisions but more on that later. 

I found that despite it being a very long and intricate book the series adaptation was able to capture the essence of the book and the characters.  

My favourite plotline in the series was that involving Maan Kapoor/Nawaabs and Saeefa Bai. I must say Ishaan Khatter has done a brilliant job at playing the wayward Maan obsessed and in love with Saeeda Bai llayed by Tabu. I was skeptical of this pairing but they worked incredibly well together. Tabu was ih her comfort zone as the ostracised tawaif with a heart. Ishaan was playing something much different to what I've seen him in before but did a great job. 

In the book my favourite family were the Chatterjis and despite Meenaskhi (shahana goswami) having a an affair with her husband's friend (Randeep Hooda) I still liked her character. The Chatterjis are a very colourful and entertaining family but the way they are portrayed in the series doesn't quite capture that. I found them annoying and far too snooty whereas in the book they came across as more jovial and extravagant but not snooty. Also the character of dipankar was missing who was by far my favourite character in the novel. 

Ram Kapoor plays the politician's role incredibly well. 

I have more thoughts will add as I remember them 

Has anybody else seen the series? Any thoughts? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Twinklingmoon thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Waiting for its Netflix series. Ugh that accent in the trailer was terrible. Couldn't HBO find people who could smartly dub?? 

SriDevi89 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

I felt like Lata was the weakestlink in the series. 

Whise accent do you refer to? It would've flowed better had some characters spolen entirely in urdu and hindi. 

Tinah thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Haven't seen it yet but my mother is currently watching it ðŸ˜†

SriDevi89 thumbnail

Anybody seen it yet??

briahna thumbnail

where did you see it? is it on Netflix, Amazon, Disney, zee?

SriDevi89 thumbnail

It's on netflix right now

Lulzbolly thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Ishan is actually a pretty decent actor. In the right director's hands, he acts well. Proven by this show and his first film which was an art house indie thing.

SriDevi89 thumbnail

I agree I have found him to be a revelation having only seen him in dhadak before this. He's definitely talented.

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9

Have not watched the show but read the books. One of my all time favourite. I love vikram seth s writing. Chaterjee are love. There dynamic are one of the best parts of the book. 

Praan and haresh are my personal favourite character. They are simple kind hard working passionate for their goal kind of people. Absolutely my kind of people. At the end of the day i would say lata made the right choice. The guy she ended up with was the guy she knew the most among all her suitors. So yeah there was a  understanding a base was there a strong base on that. 

Maan is probably the character who undergoes most development throughout the course of the story.

Tasneem s story is what i wanted to be explored in more depth. 

Firoz was true friend. 

In short i love all the characters  and there ending.

It was satisfying read.