Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

khamosshhh thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 3 years ago

Watched the movie with low expectations as was underwhelmed by the trailer, but wow, the movie was so good and beyond my expectations.

Vidya was just brilliant. Any lesser actress, and Shakuntala Devi would have ended up as a caricature. Vidya made her endearing and charming. Sanya was the perfect foil for Vidya n Kudos to her for holding her own against Vidya. Loved all the relationship dynamics showed, but especially the husband-wife and mother-daughter one.

Also I'm so glad a mother-daughter relationship was explored, with all its complexities, which is so rare in BW.

Btw logged into IF after ages, as couldn't help but post about the movie. Will watch it again. 😀

sg1217 thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Nice movie! Vidya brought depth to the character of Shakuntala. You could see her genius as well as her flaws. Sanya did well and I really liked Amit Sadh and Jisshu Sengupta! Some costumes and sets were also really nice. It was a good first film for the director... Only downside for me was there was too much melodrama with the mother-daughter fight, but other than that the movie was very positive and uplifting. Glad I watched this 👍🏼

sg1217 thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: khamosshhh

Watched the movie with low expectations as was underwhelmed by the trailer, but wow, the movie was so good and beyond my expectations.

Vidya was just brilliant. Any lesser actress, and Shakuntala Devi would have ended up as a caricature. Vidya made her endearing and charming. Sanya was the perfect foil for Vidya n Kudos to her for holding her own against Vidya. Loved all the relationship dynamics showed, but especially the husband-wife and mother-daughter one.

Also I'm so glad a mother-daughter relationship was explored, with all its complexities, which is so rare in BW.

Btw logged into IF after ages, as couldn't help but post about the movie. Will watch it again. 😀

Have you seen Secret Superstar? That also shows a mother-daughter relationship really nicely!

ammil thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sg1217

Have you seen Secret Superstar? That also shows a mother-daughter relationship really nicely!

Yes, SS did show a little bit of that but the one I found very similar to this one is Unishe April (19th April) by Rituparno Ghosh, a Bengali movie ...there also we have a famous mom/not so famous daughter pair...only difference, it was a work of fiction and the focus was mother-daughter relationship.

khamosshhh thumbnail

Originally posted by: sg1217

No I haven't and it's weird, but I tend to download a lot of movies and not watching them n yesterday itself I came across this movie on my computer, which I must have downloaded ages back. 😂

Will hopefully watch it now.

khamosshhh thumbnail

Originally posted by: ammil

Yes, SS did show a little bit of that but the one I found very similar to this one is Unishe April (19th April) by Rituparno Ghosh, a Bengali movie ...there also we have a famous mom/not so famous daughter pair...only difference, it was a work of fiction and the focus was mother-daughter relationship.

I remember watching Unishe April when it was released, but don't remember it much. One of the very few Bengali movies that I have watched.

khamosshhh thumbnail

Originally posted by: khamosshhh

Btw forgot to mention the actor playing Poritosh Banerjee! How charismatic is he! Googled him n realised he's a Bengali actor. 😊

Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

This is the real Shakuntala Devi. 

https://youtu.be/MGBTHb0FigI

Sarika12 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Btw was her husband really a homosexual? In the movie she says it's fake but some articles mention it as true..

briahna thumbnail

i enjoyed the movie!! yup there are flaws....but a pleasant watch!!

and vidya.....there will never be another Balan .....TOP!!

the lady always fascinates with her performance.

👍🏼