Harry Potter

Hogwarts House Cup Championship (New Thread Link pg 150)

Minionite thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

*clears throat*

I am Professor McGonagall.

Now that everyone is done acting like a bunch of babbling baboons, it is time to proceed to your first challenge of the year. Before you can begin learning Transfiguration, you need to prove that you have the mental capacity to take it on.

This round is the toughest as it tests your mental knowledge. There will be no need for the entire house to spend their time on this round. I expect house prefects to announce the 2 people that will be representing their houses. You can either post the names of the two members in this thread or PM them to me. Those people will receive the 10 questions that will test their mental knowledge and bring their house points.

The questions will revolve around geography, Harry Potter, politics, and history. Choose your representatives wisely.

House representatives will get the 10 questions and are free to use any online source they wish. They can only ask their houses for help on two questions!

If you have not already added me to your FB/other site chats or sent me links to your chatting sites here on IF please do so. THERE ARE SPECIAL BONUS POINTS TO BE WON FOR LEADERSHIP SO YOU WANT ME AROUND TO SEE THE LEADERSHIP!!!

Points will work as follows:

For every right answer, your house will receive 10 points.

For every wrong answer, your house will lose 5 points.

If a house is suspected or caught cheating, they will be disqualified and be docked 100 points.

If the 2 representatives are suspected or caught asking their house or anyone else for assistance on more than 2 questions, the house will again be disqualified, and the house will lose 100 points.

Some questions will list if there are bonus points to be earned. Bonus points may be awarded as I see fit outside the listed ones.

Answers are to be PMed back to me by August 5th 11:59 PM IST. Note I only need one person from the two to send me the answers. (Just thought I would clarify.)

Results and the next round will be posted within 24 hours of this deadline. If I get the answers from all 4 teams back before the deadline, then I will simply push the next round up.

Edited by Minionite - 3 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Minionite thumbnail

Prefect: GrimReaper

House Members:

Billi_Bangalan

altgr

Koeli

Guruvishva

LotusPetals

ItsJustHrideyy

Leenaaa

Briti1107

heavenlybliss

guy3

TeluguChokri

TheMinion

Bhatakti_atma

23Diya

beingaditij

Soanz.19

Bucky

Prefect: WildestDreams

House Members:

ErumMalik

awida

reel_real

Zeal17

opsora2090

FingerFetish

Alexia_Wilson

...WitchGrave...

priya185

HateSober

Maroonporsche

Leprechaun

Shaon

ShiriFictionPen

ZanduBaaM

blackhole

Home786

Prefect: EXOL

House Members:

TrickyMind

Firebolt

-Obsessed-

Lazybird_Silpa

sarah24998

Confused_Soul

Tris007

Harley_Quinn

Renee.Clare

LittleBeasty

Nahiinnn

RoshniMenon88

himani_692

Columbus_Crew

bhshre95

hope4u

Buttercup25

Prefect: S_H_Y

House Members:

TC_FA

MishtiRyous

ProfMcGonagall

Ennuyi

SoniRSippu21

asmaanixx

NitaReid

Wistfulness

Mannmohanaa

_._shibani_._

Beautyful_Mess

hbkrocks

proteeti

atvfan

guenhwyvar

togepe30

Peek-A-Boo

Minionite thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Minionite

You are a very eager bunch of students.

As a reminder, note that the bonus points will not be the same each round. In fact, I will rarely repeat any bonus points. Do not play your next round based on the previous round(s)’ bonus points. Each round I will announce the number of surprise bonus point categories that can be won. Like this round it was 6.

For this round I want to congratulate Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws…you’ll find out why in a few minutes. smiley2

Now to the questions and answers.

Question 1 was “which European country shares a border with Brazil because of one of its “oversea”departments”?

The answer is France due to French Guiana. 

Q2: 4 US presidential candidates share one distinction in common: they won the popular vote but lost the electoral college vote. Name any 2 of the 4 candidates. You received bonus points if you named all 4.

Ans: There are actually 5 names. If you named any of these 5, you got your marks. The 5 are Andrew Jackson against John Quincy Adams in 1824, Samuel Tilden against Rutherford B. Hayes in 1876, Grover Cleveland against Benjamin Harrison in 1888, Al Gore against George W. Bush in 2000, and (hopefully the most obvious) Hillary Clinton against Donald Trump in 2016.

Andrew Jackson’s loss was considered invalid as the results were inconclusive and contingent elections were held. Hence, why I didn’t ask for 5 names.

The next 3 questions are Harry Potter questions.

Q3 – The Philosopher’s Stone is known widely for producing the Elixir of Life. What is the other thing that it can do?

Ans: It can turn metal into gold. Any metal.

Q4 – Who was born first: Fred or George Weasley? As a bonus provide the order of birth for all the Weasley children.

Ans: Fred Weasley was born first. The order of the Weasleys was Bill in late 1970, Charlie in 1972, Percy in 1976, twins Fred and George in 1978, Ron in 1980, and Ginny in 1981.

Q5 – During her time at Hogwarts, Umbridge passed many Educational Decrees. Which one of these is not one of her Decrees? You got bonus points for correcting it.

Ans: C. The correct decree is actually “any student found in possession of a spell-check charmed quill will be severely punished”. The other decrees were all correct.

Once we passed Harry Potter, you had to answer, “which king died childless in 1066 which then led to the Norman Conquest?”

Answer: Edward the Confessor

Question 7 asked you to name the country with the most landmass from the 3 options and then rank the 3 countries. The 3 countries were (A) Indonesia, (B) Mexico, and (C) Sudan.

Answer: Mexico has the most landmass at 1,964,375 km squared. This is followed by Indonesia at 1,904,569 km squared, and then Sudan at 1,886,068 km squared.

Question 8 had you go back in history to tell me which year did Octavian defeat Mark Antony in a sea battle. You then had to name the sea battle for bonus points.

Answer: 31 BC in the battle named Actium.

Question 9 asked for the capital city of Paraguay, which is Asuncion.

Finally, the last question asked who discovered America.

Answer: Technically, Aboriginals lived in America for centuries, but the first documented “discovery” of America was a Viking. Leif Erikson discovered Canada around 1000 CE. Christopher Columbus came around 500 years after him in 1492. His name is the more popular one, used in media, entertainment, books, and even in your basic history and geography courses.

The correct answer here would be Viking Leif Erikson or Aboriginals.

This content was originally posted by: Minionite

Okay so a few people asked for it, so here they are. I posted the answers in the order I received them. The answers underlined are the wrong ones.

1) Which European country shares a border with Brazil because one of its “oversea” departments does?

H: France because of French Guiana

G: France shares a border with Brazil because one of its “oversea” departments does.

S:  The country is France {And the Overseas department is French Guiana which borders Brazil to the east and south.}

R: French Guiana 

It  is an overseas department and region of France on the northern Atlantic coast of South America in the Guianas. It borders Brazil to the east and south and Suriname to the west. French Guiana is the only territory of the mainland Americas to have full integration in a European country. With a land area of 83,534 km2 (32,253 sq mi), French Guiana is the second-largest region of France (it is more than one-seventh the size of Metropolitan France) and the largest outermost region within the European Union.

2) 4 US presidential candidates share one distinction in common: they won the popular vote but lost the electoral-college vote. Name any 2 of the 4 candidates. (10 bonus points if you can name all 4.)

H: Hillary Clinton, Samuel Tilden, Grover Cleveland, Al Gore

G: Hillary Clinton, Al Gore, George W. Bush, Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison

S: - Samuel Tilden in 1876 lost to Rutherford B. Hayes; 

- Grover Cleveland in 1888 lost to Benjamin Harrison; 

- Al Gore in 2000 lost to George W. Bush; 

- Hillary Clinton in 2016 lost to Donald J. Trump.

{Between Andrew Jackson and John Quincy Adams too Jackson won the popular vote but still lost but its invalid as the results were inconclusive and Contingent Elections were held} 

R: Hillary Clinton and Al Gore. 

following are the names and years of election of all 4.

Samuel Tilden 1876

The election is also the only race in American history which the victor initially won both fewer electoral votes and fewer popular votes than his opponent.Ultimately, the electoral college vote was decided to be 185 to 184 in Hayes’ favor, with Tilden winning 254,000 more popular votes.

Grover Cleveland,1888

Harrison, whose campaign was better organized, was able to capture Indiana, his home state, even though it had gone to Cleveland in the previous election. Cleveland captured nearly 91,000 more popular votes, but lost the electoral college to Harrison with a vote of 168 to 233.

Al Göre 2000

In 2000, Vice President Al Gore took on George W. Bush, the governor of Texas and the son of the 41st President. Bush won 271 electoral votes to Gore’s 266 votes, but Gore won 500,000 more popular votes.

Hillary Clinton. 2016

In an election that surprised many political experts and pollsters, real estate mogul Donald Trump defeated former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, taking in 304 electoral votes to Clinton’s 227 votes. However, Clinton took in 2.8 million more popular votes.

There was 5th instance in 1824, where both the candidates running for presidency failed to get the required majority both in the popular and  in the electoral college vote. this Presidency was finally decided in the house.

3) The Philosopher’s Stone is known widely for producing the Elixir of Life. What is the other thing that it can do?

H: turn any metal into gold

G: Philosopher's stone can transform metal into pure gold.

S: Transform any metal into pure gold.

R: This is the general property of the Philosophers stone. However, in the Harry potter books, the Philosophers stone is mentioned to have the property of turning any metal into Pure GOLD only. 

As the Question is not clear whether it concerns the book only or General Knowledge, we have included both the answers.

4) Who was born first: Fred Weasley or George Weasley? (10 bonus points if you can provide the order of birth for all the Weasley children.)

H: Fred Weasley. Bill in 1970, Charlie in 1972, Percy in 1976, Fred and George in 1978, Ron in 1980, and Ginny in 1981.

G: Fred is older than George. Arthur and Molly had Bill in late 1970, Charlie in 1972, Percy in 1976, twins Fred and George in 1978, Ron in 1980, and Ginny in 1981.

S: Fred was born first.

William Arthur Weasley {29th November 1970}

Charles Weasley {12th Decembar 1972}

Percy Ignatius Weasley {22nd August 1976}

Fred Weasley {1st April 1978}

George Weasley {1st April 1978}

Ronald Bilius Weasley {1st March 1980}

Ginevra Molly Potter nee Weasley {11th August 1981}

Next Generation Weasley

1}William's Children

Victoire Weasley {2nd May; early 2000s}

Dominique Weasley

Louis Weasley

2}Percy's Children

Molly Weasley II

Lucy Weasley

3}George's Children

Fred Weasley II

Roxanne Weasley

4} Ronald's Children

Rose Granger-Weasley

Hugo Granger-Weasley

Ginevra's Children

James Sirius Potter

Albus Severus Potter

Lily Luna Potter

R: Fred Weasley was born first. This was never mentioned in the books but was confirmed by J. K Rowling herself in 2015. 

Weasley Children in order

William Arthur (Bill) Weasley

Charles (Charlie) Weasley

Percy Weasley. Full name Percy Ignatius Weasley. This is mentioned in Harry Potter book 5, during Harry's trial. "Court Scribe, Percy Ignatius Weasley.”

Fred Weasley

George Weasley

Ronald Bilius Weasley

Ginevra(Ginny) Molly Weasley.

They are the children of Arthur Weasley and Molly Weasley, whose Maiden name is Molly Prewett. ( We know this because on his 17th Birthday, Harry receives a watch that was once owned by Molly's brother Fabian Prewett.) 

5) During her time at Hogwarts, Umbridge passed many Educational Decrees. Which one of these is not one of her Decrees? (10 bonus points if you can correct the incorrect decree.)

A) Teachers are hereby banned from giving students any information that is not strictly related to the subjects they are paid to teach

B) Any student found in possession of sweets from unauthorized suppliers will be expelled

C) Any student found in possession of any quills not authorized by the Ministry of Magic will be severely punished

D) No student organizations, societies, teams, groups, and clubs may exist without the knowledge and approval of the high Inquisitor

H: C (Any Student Found In Possession Of A Spell-Check Charmed Quill Will Be Severely Punished

G: B) Any student found in possession of sweets from unauthorized suppliers will be expelled.

Any student found in possession of the magazine The Quibbler will be expelled is the correct one.

S: C) Any student found in possession of any quills not authorized by the Ministry of Magic will be severely punished.

This is not a decree passed by Dolores Umbridge.

The correct Decree was this:

Any student found in possession of a spell-check charmed quill will be severely punished

{As per the Movie there were hundred and thirty-six decrees passed which by the end of the year covered an entire wall outside the Great Hall but as per the book it was twenty-eight.}

R: C. Is incorrect. The correct educational decree is as follows. 

Any student found in possession of a spell check charmed Quill will be severely punished. 

6) Which king died childless in 1066 which then led to the Norman Conquest?

H: Edward the Confessor

G: Edward the Confessor is the king who died childless in 1066.

S: Edward the Confessor

{He died on January 5th, 1066. The Norman Conquest was launched by William the Conqueror.}

R: Edward the confessor. Died on January 5th 1066.  

The Norman Conquest of England, led by William the Conqueror, was carried out between 1066 and 1071 CE. The conquest saw the death of King Harold II at the Battle of Hastings and the replacement of the Anglo-Saxon elite as William redistributed land to his fellow Normans. Crowned William I (r. 1066-1087 CE) on Christmas Day, the new regime would take five years to fully control England, seeing off several invasions and rebellions, but once established, it would oversee profound changes in all areas of society. These changes included a restructuring of the Church, innovations in military and religious architecture, the evolution of the English language, the spread of feudalism and a much greater contact with continental Europe, especially France.

7) Which country has more landmass? (10 bonus points if you can rank all 3 countries in terms of landmass.) - Note that on page 46 I've put total land area numbers, not total landmass numbers. I will correct this, but the ordering is the same.

A) Indonesia

B) Mexico

C) Sudan

H: B – Ranking them it is Mexico, Indonesia, Sudan

G: A) Mexico

B) Indonesia

C) Sudan

S: Mexico has the most landmass among the mentioned three

The correct order in terms of the landmass is:

A) Mexico = 1,964,375 sq km

B) Indonesia = 1,904,569 sq km

C) Sudan = 1,861,484 sq km

R: Mexico  has more land mass. The 3 countries ranked on land mass are as follows. 

1.Mexico: Land Area 1,943,950.0 sq. kms.[total area is 1,964,375) - Ranked 13 in the world.

2.Indonesia: Land Area : 1,811,570.0 sq.kms.(total area is 1,910,931)- Ranked 14 in he world.

3.Sudan: Land Area: disputed/undetermined. ( total area is 1,861,484). Ranked 15 in the world.

We have checked multiple sources and the standard data from world bank and other reputed sites mention Sudan as disputed and undetermined. Hence Sudan ranks third in terms of land area. The unofficial data from certain unverified sites places Sudans Land area at 1,765,048 sq.kms but since this is not verified by world bank, this cannot be relied upon. in either case, Sudan ranks third, Indonesia second and Mexico first.

8) In what year did Octavian defeat Mark Antony in a sea battle? (10 bonus points if you can name the sea battle.) - I was dying to give bonus points here because every team said 2nd Sept...hint it's my birthday. smiley36

H: 2nd Sept 31 BC (Actium)

G: In 2nd September, 31 BC Octavian defeated Mark Antony (with Queen Coleopatra) in the Battle of Actium.

S: 2nd September 31 BC

The battle's name is the Battle of Actium.

{This battle was a naval battle fought on the Ionian. It took place in the last year of Roman Republic}

R: September 2, 31 BC. The battle of Actium.

The Battle of Actium was a naval battle in the last war of the Roman Republic, fought between the fleet of Octavian and the combined forces of Mark Antony and Queen Cleopatra of Egypt. It took place on 2 September 31 BC in the Ionian Sea near the promontory of Actium in Greece. 

9) What is the capital city of Paraguay?

H: Asunción

G: Asunción is the capital of Paraguay

S: Asunción

{Its also the largest city of Paraguay in terms of population and is located on the left bank of Paraguay River}

R: Asunción

Asunción, city and capital of Paraguay, occupying a promontory and descending to the Paraguay River near its confluence with the Pilcomayo. The city lies 175 feet (53 metres) above sea level.

The city was so named when a stockade was completed there on the Feast of the Assumption (August 15) in 1537. When Buenos Aires was evacuated in 1541 after an attack by the Pampa Indians, the inhabitants fled to Asunción. It was the headquarters of Spanish colonial activities in eastern South America for nearly half a century before Buenos Aires was refounded.

10) Who discovered America?

H: Viking Leif Erikson 1000 CE

G: Christopher Columbus discovered America

S: Christopher Columbus

{He discovered America in 1492}

R: The accepted answer since centuries is that Christopher Columbus discovered America. He set out find a route to China by sailing west out of Europe and reached the American Shores on August 3rd 1492. This has been presented as a fact until it was discovered quite recently that it was infact the vikings, and specifically a viking named Lief Erikson Set foot on the continent of America nearly 500 years before Columbus. Nordic legends recount Erikson reaching Newfoundland and later Labrador around AD 1000. in 1960,  archaeologists unearthed artefacts from New Foundland and Labrador that were of viking origin dating back to 1000 AD, further giving impetus to the claim that Lief Erikson discovered America. 

Going further back, the first humans arrived in the Americas during the last ice age by crossing over from Siberia. This migration happened between 13000 and 24000 years ago. In this sense, the people who discovered Americas were the ancestors of the native Americans who migrated from Asia and Europe and colonised the Americas. Indeed , genetic finding corroborates this since the native American population of the Americas are found to be genetically distinct from the Asian and European populations, proving that they remained isolated over thousands of years. 

In short, although Columbus is widely credited with being the one who discovered America first, there is enough evidence which dispute this claim and its now largely believed that it was infact Lief Erikson. Going furtherback, every time Columbus, Erikson or any other explorer reached the Americas, indigenous people were already there to welcome them who had discovered and colonised the continent thousands of years ago. This is a hotly debated topic where any of these can be accepted and considered as the correct answer, although Columbus remains the official answer.

Minionite thumbnail

Based on the answers provided and the bonus points awarded, here is the table of points:

As can be seen, both Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws tied with top marks!!!

Minionite thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: WildestDreams

If the 2 representatives are suspected or caught asking their house or anyone else for assistance on more than 2 questions, the house will again be disqualified, and the house will lose 100 points.

Just to be sure...when and if members house help is asked, all the members can help or do we need to let you know beforehand the names?smiley23

Anyone can help from the house. You don't need to tell me. smiley1

If you ask anyone else outside the house or you ask for help on more than 2 questions, only then will you be disqualified.

This content was originally posted by: EXOL

What do you mean by only person need to send the answers ? Does that mean these two players can work together ? 

Yes. Both players work together to answer the questions and then one of them sends the answers in.

The true answers by the way. This isn't sheep game. smiley36

This content was originally posted by: Harley_Quinn

I would like to make a request to Professor McGonagall as Neville Longbottom.

Umm Professor, uh...could you please...If you don't mind...also post all details of other rounds?...I mean, uh... it'll help us students to be sure to play which round.... since we can't play all of them....you know, I'm really not sure.... which round to play... details will really help me...and others too...prefects would be able to send best players for each round from their house....if you don't like this idea then uh...I'm really sorry....umm please don't tell professor Snape that I gave you this idea.

No sorry. Those are going to be hidden. But I will clarify right now that I will not limit who can play. If you want to play all 7 rounds, you absolutely can.

SoniRita thumbnail

Yayy super excited for round 1. Bring it on we are ready

WildestDreams thumbnail

Slytherin House is here!🐍

ProfMcGonagall thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail + 2

Lol we can't use our teams but we can use Google. Probably because you can't track our online use right? 😂

Amphitrite thumbnail

I guess this is good like seriously good

Minionite thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: ProfMcGonagall

Lol we can't use our teams but we can use Google. Probably because you can't track our online use right? 😂

Yeah something like that. What am I going to do? Subpoena your Google searches? 😆