Was Kabir Singh's popularity a result of the rebel act?

Posted: 3 years ago

I was just thinking Kabir Singh received a lot of flak - and rightfully so- because of the toxic masculinity embedded in the character's veins. But what we have to take into account is he was also a rebel - that too, one without a cause! - and that kind of led to his popularity among the youth.

Kabir’s misplaced angst and agony which simply left me cold, did find a lot of takers. A rebel who finds himself at odds with society's norms has always been a popular motif in literature and cinema, and usually the youth identifies with such characters. 

So, do you think the popularity of the film stemmed from the protagonist's self-conscious 'rebel' act rather than the toxic masculinity?

Just penning my random thoughts here. Do give your opinions!

Edited by mintyblue - 3 years ago

Wasn't it based on Arjun Reddy, the Telugu movie? Arjun Reddy was popular because it was the first of its kind in the Telugu movie industry, with explicit sex scenes 😆 So yes, people wanted to see the movie for its boldness, and it did appeal to a certain mentality. 

Originally posted by ChinChinChooo

Wasn't it based on Arjun Reddy, the Telugu movie? Arjun Reddy was popular because it was the first of its kind in the Telugu movie industry, with explicit sex scenes 😆 So yes, people wanted to see the movie for its boldness, and it did appeal to a certain mentality. 

Arjun Reddy had explicit sex scenes? Kabir Singh mein to kuch nahi tha. Damn. Dhokha hai ye to

Kabir Singh had a blend of everything to appeal to the public. Shahid's career best performance, an engaging and entertaining screenplay, a romantic yet passionate relationship story, a beautiful heroine and most importantly a great sound track, filled with excellent romantic songs and that damn background music, 50% credit you should go that background music.

Plus as they say first impression is the last impression, and Kabir Singh teaser was EPIC.

Edited by RegressiveThug - 3 years ago

Originally posted by FreeTheNipple

Arjun Reddy had explicit sex scenes? Kabir Singh mein to kuch nahi tha. Damn. Dhokha hai ye to

Lmao...I shouldn't have said explicit. But iny defense, I haven't watched either of them. However, Arjun Reddy was a big deal mainly because it was bold by Tollywood standards. 

Kabir Singh or Arjun Reddy is the ultimate fantasy for Indian male. Everyone literally worship him in the movie and everything swept under the rug because he is good in academics. Even at the end, he got happy ending. I am convinced if the ending is different the movie wouldn't have done such a great feat.

I thought it played around with the bad boy turned devdas concept. I also wanted to dismiss the movie for its stalker-ish way of courting the girl and sexist/misogynistic elements it had. But Shahid is immensely talented and a treat to look at and so is the girl, so that also worked in their favor. 😆

Honestly if he was a socially awkward, scrawny guy without the stature he had in his school, his way of creepy stalking and calling dibs on the girl would have been exactly that--CREEPY.

But unlike the usual damsel in distress characters that go with "bad boys," the girl here was a strong character too, and I liked that.

Kabir singh is ultimate male and female fantasy 

Handsome, rich, good at academics, genius at his job, confident bordering on arrogance,honest , soft with his girl , fight and defend his girl physically against other guys and family.

That's why he got popular with females and males also sympathise with lost love devdas but with brilliance routine.

Banger music , great acting , an equally strong female Kabir singh as heroine.

No wonder it did what it did at box office

Ultimate indian male fantasy 

I do think a large part of its success was how well it portrayed suffering and angst. crying over not getting what u want may sound childish and immature but it’s something most adults struggle with too. Which is why breakups are hard. Most ppl find it hard to move on atleast for a few years because they had envisioned a life with the other person.

Add bekhayali to this and most ppl identify themselves with it. 😏

I do think the film technically was top notch, camera work, visuals,  sound ,performances, screenplay etc, it’s messaging is debatable and polarising. But it was slickly made. 

And I agree the film wouldn’t have done as well if the lead was an unattractive guy. Casting a good looking bloke for the title role did make the character weirdly attractive and fetishising for many.