Posted: 3 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O2qXZuV8Ks

This interview made me question whether OTT platforms can actually upend the traditional hierarchies and make way for something more equitable? Do you guys think it is a possibility?

I will watch the video later, when get time. But superstar system was already collapsing somewhere recently. Now, people don't watch movies just for the superstars or stars in my opinion. Shahrukh's movies aren't doing well lately, Salman's ones also are getting affected , let's see what's with other movies. Even stars like Ranveer has one Simmba, rest most of his movies are either Biopic or periodical. Thugs of Hindustan, people already know the fate despite two big stars, Kalank, Panipat, didn't do well. Tiger's movies are exception but till when that's to be seen. I agree that with movies moving on OTT platforms, it might be difficult to attract the audience just on the basis of stardom as those movies are made for theatres only and most of the people watch those movies in theatres. 

Edited by Renee.Clare - 3 years ago

I don’t think so. We have to wait to see once this pandemic is over and cinemas open 

OTT platform or not....the superstar system was going to end anyways...the 3 Khans, Akki, Hritik and Ajay D are the last of the superstars we have and there won't be anymore after them.

Originally posted by blue-ice.1

OTT platform or not....the superstar system was going to end anyways...the 3 Khans, Akki, Hritik and Ajay D are the last of the superstars we have and there won't be anymore after them.

What about Ranbir and Ranveer?

Originally posted by mintyblue

They are not now nor have ever been as big as Khans or Hrithik. They are maybe a bit below them. 

It’s changing. The definition of a star is different today. I don’t think I am knowingly comfortable calling the new generation of actors stars for some reason- just because they have become so much more accessible. today, actors are more regarded as either successful or not. Our perception of them changes every Friday. 

Originally posted by mintyblue

nope....like I said no more superstars.....superstardom is related to the crazy fandoms and the connection between a star and a fan....for good or bad...that s not there anymore....

Originally posted by blue-ice.1

Exactly. Hrithik was the last male superstar, and I think when it comes to actresses, Katrina can be said to be the last. 

But as long as they last, they're going to bring audience to the theatres whether one likes it or no. N if they really want to do movies with/opposite outsiders, the latter will go out on their limb & a half to do it. That's the way it is. Simple. 

I think it's too simplistic to say so and so were the last superstars.

Superstars are going to be there in every era. Simply because times have changed and content-driven films are doing well, one can't say that superstars will cease to exist.

As much as I don't like him, cannot deny the fact that Tiger is a superstar in the making. His movies work regardless of content, even despite trashy content.