B R Chopra's Mahabharat

Pradymuna and rukmavati - Page 2

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

This content was originally posted by: Chiillii

Parikshit was the last strong king of Hstinapur. His son janmejaya started the needless sarpasatra and depleted quite a lot of the wealth and Hastinapur's influence as the seat of empire in India.

Then another blow came in the form of change of course of River Ganga in the time of Janmejaya's grandson. Whole Hastinapur and the developed syrrounding areas were destroyed completely. Like what happened in dwarka. The capital had to be moved to Koushambi. This destroyed any remaining influence Hastinapur and its rulers had. They became small kings and continued for few more generations before being swallowed by Magadhans.

Magadha on the other hand started rising soon after yadava fratricide. Sahdev, Jarasandh's son had died in the war but his son somapi ruled after him. They had 10 or 12 more descendents who were called Vrihadrathas (named after jarasandh's ancestor) each very strong and able who took advantage of weaker kings around them and consolidated the power at Pataliputra. Then came 5 generation of Pradyota kings most likely from son in law of last Vrihadratha king . The last king was overthrown by his minister. And this became a pattern. There were 10 sisunagas follewed by 5 or 7 Nandas. Then 10 Mouryas. Greatest of whom was Asoka....Then there were sungas after them and so on. Till pratihara rajput kings and chouhans moved the control back to Indraprasth, now known as Delhi..

Janamejaya's sarpa yagna was done to get justice for the killing of Parikshit.  Historically, Dr RC Majumdar speculated that Janamejaya actually went to war against the Nagas, and ultimately that ended in a stalemate.  However, from what I have read, the Puru capital moved back to Indraprastha once Hastinapur was destroyed.  Not Koushambi.  It switched a couple of times before settling back to Indraprastha. 

Vajra was only crowned at Indraprastha, but moved back to Mathura.  Note that the Yadava coalition was broken up by Arjun to prevent future fratricides: Satyaki's son Asanga got a kingdom on the banks of the Saraswati, where the Satwatas settled.  Vajra got Mathura, and Bali - Kritavarma's son who was married to Rukmini's daughter Charumati - got Martikavat, where the Andhakas settled down w/ him.

Btw, where is it that the Nandas were descendant from Jarasandha, since it was they who made Magadh dominant again?  Also, Ayodhya too saw a resurgence under Prasenjit, who may have been a Brihadbala/Kush descendant, and who interacted w/ Buddha.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9

This content was originally posted by: .Vrish.

One thing about this: Pradhyumna had a wife called Mayavati, who was actually Rati in another form (since Pradhyumna was Kama reborn, after trying to distract Mahadev into noticing Parvati).  When he was reunited w/ his parents, Mayawati was w/ him, as his wife.  So how is it that there were no sons from this couple?  Or did Vajra actually belong to them, rather than to him and Rukmavati?

I don't know vajra s parentage is confusing. Vayu puran states him to be suthanu and bhanu s baby mb only calls him as krishna s grandson parents are not mentioned. While i don't but most probably sb mention Anirudh and his wife to be vajra s parents that makes him pradymuna s grandson.  

Chiillii thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Vrihadrath of Magadha were one family of which Jarasandh was most prominent. They continued for nearly 12 generations after him. Then Magadh was ruled by 5 generations of Pradyoth family. Pradyoth was mosy likely the son in law of last descendent hence Vrihadrathas rule was over here.

Pradyoth's last deacendent and his children were killed by his prime minister. This guy started the sisunaga dynasty and they continued for 10 generations. Till one of the servants of the last guy named Mahapadma nanda killed him and his fanily and took over Magadha. His fifth descendent dhanananda was killed by chandragupta maurya... And so on.

Ikshavaku's didnt rise to prominence. They just xontinued to rule in Ayodhya for quite a while peacefully. Till I guess Nandas came

Coming to pradyumna. Mayawati is barren. That is why sambara apparently lets her raise pradyumna as her son. So no sons from her.

Now coming to Vajra and Aniruddha.

Aniruddha was definetly pradyumna's son born to rukmi's daughter. That is why Rukmi loved him and gave him hia granddaughter happily.

Vajra however i believe was actually Bhanu (satyabhama's son) and Yudhishtir's daughter Suthanu. Primary reason why he brings him back to IP. While leaves krishna's other grandson whose father Bali Bhoja, the one named Asanga at mrittikavati. 

In my opinion Krishna had one daughter charumati who married Kritaverma's son Bali and had a son asanga who finally settled and ruled mrittikavati.

Eventually he has a son with satyabhama most likely the son was born very late in life. 

Pradyumna was a cousin he adopted as his own from his uncle Gandusha. And he most likely was younger to him by 5 years are so. This pradyumna had a son Aniruddha eventually, who may have had again a daughter. So he adopts from Bhanu his uncle's son as his own. Just like Krishna did with his father. This Bhanu and Suthanu's son was Vajra who gets back to mathura eventually.

Samba was most likely Balram's only son. He may have had a daughter as well

If you are not blinded by faith and devotion you can see how illogical is Krishna having 16108 wives and 10 sons from eaxh wife. Balram having only sons. Vasudev having 14 wives and nearly 50 sons but only 1 daughter. Pandavas themselves sons with no sister and they having wives left right and centre all bearing only sons.

Kouravas being 100 brothers with no sister.

No that is just not possible biologically or logically. Being venerated as Gods and the associated patriarchy that wanted to prove them as alpha males...made this convuluted story of only sons being born 

Child and infant mortality as well as maternal mortality is real. Its dangerous even now to bear children. This happened more in the past too.

FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

[QUOTE=Chiillii]

Thankyou Chiilli so is this Vajra not anywhere related to Pandavas?

What about HV saying Vajra was Suthanu's son n Yudhishtir/Draupadi grand son

Edited by FlauntPessimism - 3 years ago
FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

This content was originally posted by: CaptainSpark

Could you tell us more about the rise of Magadh? I have read much about the prominence of Magadh in post Mahabharat age. Want to know how this came about. The last I heard Jarasandha was defeated, ans then post MB I have read about Nanda kings. Dhanananda who eventually was defeated by CGM. I am sure lot came in between which we don't know much about

Before Nandas there were Bimbisar, Ajadshstru and Uddyan(Bhasa's Swapnvassavdatta is on his love story) we know about predominance of Magadh since around 500 BCE, it definitely was no match to CGM or Ashoka but was at par with the likes of Parikshit since then

But assuming Mahabharata happened around 950 BCE, they definitely increased Their strength in next 500 years

Saying that jab Magadh central power hota hai to sab theek hota hai, even Alexander returned without attacking. Jab Delhi/UP center of power hota hai tab massacre hota hai Mahabharata, Islamic invasions, Taimur massacre etc