Questions on Ramayan - Page 4

Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by FlauntPessimism

I think during those days it wasn't possible to go completely against the set norms. He did have his responsibility towards the citizens too

Saying that many people claim that Uttar Kand isn't real. They say it wasn't a part of the original Ramayana but was added later to malign it. They give multiple proofs for it. 

Although I don't think that the entire Kand could be later addition, but many portions certainly is. Shambuk killing definitely doesn't seem to be a part of the original Ramayana since it doesn't go with Ram's character at all

What is the store of Shambuk killing? Also why is it interpolation.. ? 

Originally posted by CaptainSpark

What is the store of Shambuk killing? Also why is it interpolation.. ? 

As per Uttar Kand, a Brahmin's son dies young, he reaches out to Ram and says that it is because a Shudra Shambuk is reciting Vedas that there is Akal Mrityu in the state

Ram reaches out to him and gets impressed by the way of recitation, he reaches out to Shambuk and asks if he is a Brahmin or a Kshatriya to which he replies he is a Shudra. Ram immidiately kills him and the Brahmin's son is revived

Now Ram was someone who was happy and impressed to see Hanuman speaking Sanskrit and having Vedic knowledge, he was happy to visit Bheels, had Nishadraj as his best friend, does it match the character that he would actually kill Shambuk just for reciting Vedas

See this video guys exactly what I was saying these people make unnecessary claims

https://youtu.be/4BIPhASrTu8

Will do. But what species were they then? Maybe just humans? 

But what's with the TAIL. 

As per Uttar Kand, a Brahmin's son dies young, he reaches out to Ram and says that it is because a Shudra Shambuk is reciting Vedas that there is Akal Mrityu in the state

Ram reaches out to him and gets impressed by the way of recitation, he reaches out to Shambuk and asks if he is a Brahmin or a Kshatriya to which he replies he is a Shudra. Ram immidiately kills him and the Brahmin's son is revived

Now Ram was someone who was happy and impressed to see Hanuman speaking Sanskrit and having Vedic knowledge, he was happy to visit Bheels, had Nishadraj as his best friend, does it match the character that he would actually kill Shambuk just for reciting Vedas

Oh my god. This is so horrifying and casteist. Thankfully you told me this is interpolation most probably. Because this would make me HATE Ram. Oh heaven. 

Will do. But what species were they then? Maybe just humans? 

But what's with the TAIL. 

They were humans in highest probability, tail thing could either be an interpolation (it has importance only in Lanka dehen which as it seems improbable to me in reality/practicality)

If the event is historic then it could be that they were some tribal system rulers/soldiers and didn't have tails. Lanka dehen is completely fajey

If it's fiction then you could take it as any soscues

They were humans in highest probability, tail thing could either be an interpolation (it has importance only in Lanka dehen which as it seems improbable to me in reality/practicality)

If the event is historic then it could be that they were some tribal system rulers/soldiers and didn't have tails. Lanka dehen is completely fajey

If it's fiction then you could take it as any soscues

Exactly. Lanka Dahan is very much interpolation. But what about jumping across ocean or bringing whole mountain. If they are interpolations, alot change. 

Is it probable that whole of hanuman going to lanka is interpolation. Because the ocean think is impossible

Exactly. Lanka Dahan is very much interpolation. But what about jumping across ocean or bringing whole mountain. If they are interpolations, alot change. 

Is it probable that whole of hanuman going to lanka is interpolation. Because the ocean think is impossible

Even in Mayan era there were ships in the sea. There were trades that was done over sea route since pretty ancient times. 

In fact I read that some of the Australian aboriginals which were till pretty recent times considered Completely aloof from rest of the civilization, were found to have mythological stories similar to Mayan and Indians. It was not possible unless they came to us via seamv

This was not so much there in India because Indian philosophies had for some reason were against crossing seas, even till British time, the people who returned from abroad were asked for Shuddhikaran, hence that system didn't become popular in Indian civilizations. 

I think Hanuman went to and fro in a ship, just that was changed later

Hey guys. I have recently started reading up about Ramayan and have a lot of questions. My questions may look repetitive, but I am new to this. I hardly have much knowledge about Ramayan except the basic story line. I haven't read the real epic. Feel free to clear my misconceptions. Thought y'all well be able to explain things to me :) 

1. Why didn't Ayodhya or Mithila help Ram when he went to battle with Ravan? I know Janak was not a king per say but more of the head of a farmer community, but still, I guess they could provide some help. No excuse for Ayodhya though. 

2. Hanuman went to Sita in Ashok Vatika and met her. Why couldn't he have brought her back? 🙈😂 

3. What was the reason for Manthara's strong hatred for Ram? Was it just because she came from Kekaya and wanted Bharat hence? That seems strange. 

4. How is beating up Manthara like that justified - I have read that Bharat and Shatrughan beat her up later. She technically was just looking out for the queen from her kingdom. Is beating her up justified? 

5. Why did Dasharath love Ram more than others? 

6. Is it true that Vibhishan married Mandodari after he became King? 

7. How is Meghnath's death justified? Laxman was unable to defeat him if he would have finished Nikulbhila Yajna. But why couldn't Ram have taken up arms and fought with him? 

8. It's a known fact that Ram asked Sita to go through agnipariksha. How is this justified and why did he do this? (Appease subjects is not reason enough IMO) 

9. Who managed Ayodhya while Ram was away? Bharat with Ram's slippers? 

10. What's Shatrughan's role in the whole epic? 

11. Why did Lakshman cut off Surpanakha's nose and ears like that? This was wrong at least as per my understanding. There's nothing wrong in asking a man's hand in marriage as polygamy was common? 

12. Did Ravan ever show any romantic interest in Sita? I haven't heard of any, but still asking. What was his motive? To keep Sita as a prisoner forever? I mean how did he want to take revenge for Surpanakha? 

I'll add more as and when needed 🙈 

Answer 1 - The millitary forces of Ayodhaya and Mithila did not fight against Ravana because, Lord Rama was in exile, away from Ayodhaya and he can't take help from the armies of Ayodhya.

Answer 2 - Becuase Goddess Sita can't touch any other man...

Answer 3 - People like this have been there from a long time ago. fut dalna kuch logon ka kaam hota hai. Yes it was because Manthra distiguished between the sons of kakeyi, Kaushlya and Sumitra.

Answer 4 - There was nothing like this.

Ans 5 - Not too much difference. Dashrath ji loved all his kids equaly but lord ram a little more because Lord Rama was the eldest of all.

Ans 6 -  Not at all.

Ans 7 - Because Lord Lakshman wanted Lord Rama to leave Meghnad over to him.

Ans 8 - Lord Rama made Goddess Sita go through agnipariksha because u wouldn't be knowing it but the one whom Ravana kidnapped was not actual Goddess Sita. It so happened that Lord Rama, who being an avtar of Vishnu ji knew everything about the future kidnap, he handed goddess Sita over to agni dev and during her return she gone through fire so that actual Sita mata can come out..

Ans 9 - It was Bharat.

Ans 10 - It's a big role. He was Lord Rama's brother and an avatar of Lord Vishnu's Sudarshan Chakra.

Ans 11 - She was cheating them. And in front of goddess Sita she asked Lord Rama for marriage who was maryada purushottam.

Ans 12 - Did Ravana ever show romantic interest in Sita ? Please don't ask there type of questions, however the answer is no.

ans of question 12 next part ( What was his motive? To keep Sita as a prisoner forever? I mean how did he want to take revenge for Surpanakha?) - Ravana's main motive was to get death by the hands of Lord Vishnu's avatar, Lord Rama. The story stands that Ravana and Kumbhakar,  both were an avatar (can't be stated as an avatar exactly but can be told as a human form came to complete a curse ) of gatekeepers of Lord Vishnu.