Posted: 3 years ago

So I was wondering, how do you guys judge the success of a film? What is your parameter for the same? 

Is it the box-office? Acclaim by critics? Or just your own instincts?

Do you feel that box office is the best judge of a film's merit? Because I know so many films which garner 300 crores yet are considered forgettable and trashy. For example-- Houseful 4. I haven't heard a single person praising that film, despite the amount of money it has made.

The Sky is Pink didn't do that well, but I know a lot of people who have watched it loved it.

For me, I love movies which can detach me from my world for at least 2 hours, sucking me into its labyrinth of dreamlike stories, the unique characters, their universal ambitions, their sorrows, and entwining my dreams with its unreal reality.

Discuss.

Edited by mintyblue - 3 years ago

Houseful 4 was also the most watched BW movie this year in Television and Hotstar, so yeah, it is successful. just because it didn't get in the list of the best movies, doesn't mean it isn't successful.

The Sky in Pink, flopped in theaters, and 100% sure it will flop in tv and OTT too.

A movie must be seen by a large numbers of people in some format, to be considered a successful venture.

Critics or film schools praising it, will mean it is only discussed in some film school or critics discussions, that isn't a success.

Core thing is box-office 

Baki u can twist things all one can want

Originally posted by RegressiveThug

Houseful 4 was also the most watched BW movie this year in Television and Hotstar, so yeah, it is successful. just because it didn't get in the list of the best movies, doesn't mean it isn't successful.

The Sky in Pink, flopped in theaters, and 100% sure it will flop in tv and OTT too.

A movie must be seen by a large numbers of people in some format, to be considered a successful venture.

Critics or film schools praising it, will mean it is only discussed in some film school or critics discussions, that isn't a success.

So you think box-office is the yardstick for success? That's what I'm asking...everyone can have their own opinion...

Originally posted by mintyblue

So you think box-office is the yardstick for success? That's what I'm asking...everyone can have their own opinion...

Yes box office is absolutely the most practical measure of a movie's success. After that its success in television or the recent OTT formats.

And remember the movies which are remembered for long time by majority of normal audience also tend to be movies which are huge hits.

A normal person hardly knows about Pyaasi(a movie which is great and loved by cinephiles) or Lamhe, but most of them remember Sholay. Citizen Kane is not known by many English movie watchers, but Star Wars or Jaws or Titanic is still remembered.

I never go with Box Office Success until and unless my friends or family force me to watch those movies in theatres with them. 

First of all, I go with the trailers. Trailers contain the best scenes of the movie  ,if it clicks to me then only I crave to watch that movie . Then I don't care whether others suggest me whether it's good or bad movie, that's why I end up liking many underrated movies. I know my taste might be different than others so  no point in asking or going with others's choices until someone tells me or gives me some hint of how good a movie is. 

For example, I had watched the trailer of Hindi Movie Notebook in hall when I went to watch some other movie, I liked the trailer and loved the movie later. Same, is with October movie which again is a flop. 

Hyped movies I only go to watch with my friends and family in theatres just to hang out with them. Otherwise, it's mostly because of the trailers.

I didn't like the trailer of Sanju and hence never watched it and it's not even in my bucket list. I couldn't tolerate that 2 minutes trailer of that movie, so, I really don't care about BO to be honest ๐Ÿ˜‚

And talking about Success of the movie, it can be anything. No one knows the exact formula. Sometimes many mediocre films get successful and sometimes very good movies don't earn much. So, the question should be what should be the parameter of a good movie? Box Office results  in itself means success. 

Edited by Renee.Clare - 3 years ago

Box Office hi SACH hai 

sab paisa laga ke movie banate hai profit ke liye aur agar profit nahi matlab aapke maal main locha hai ๐Ÿ˜‰

project start hone se pehle Staelite music OTT sab decide kar lete hai profit ke liye but agar movie flop to sab decision zand .

Originally posted by Renee.Clare

I never go with Box Office Success until and unless my friends or family force me to watch those movies in theatres with them. 

First of all, I go with the trailers. Trailers contain the best scenes of the movie  ,if it clicks to me then only I crave to watch that movie . Then I don't care whether others suggest me whether it's good or bad movie, that's why I end up liking many underrated movies. I know my taste might be different than others so  no point in asking or going with others's choices until someone tells me or gives me some hint of how good a movie is. 

For example, I had watched the trailer of Hindi Movie Notebook in hall when I went to watch some other movie, I liked the trailer and loved the movie later. Same, is with October movie which again is a flop. 

Hyped movies I only go to watch with my friends and family in theatres just to hang out with them. Otherwise, it's mostly because of the trailers.

I didn't like the trailer of Sanju and hence never watched it and it's not even in my bucket list. I couldn't tolerate that 2 minutes trailer of that movie, so, I really don't care about BO to be honest ๐Ÿ˜‚

And talking about Success of the movie, it can be anything. No one knows the exact formula. Sometimes many mediocre films get successful and sometimes very good movies don't earn much. So, the question should be what should be the parameter of a good movie? Box Office results  in itself means success. 

I completely agree with you. If a trailer piques my interest, I'll go and watch the movie n theatre. But I also go for the actor sometimes. For e.g. -- I didn't like the trailer of Chapaak, it was underwhelming to me, but because it was Deepika's movie, I watched it first day first show. So sometimes my liking for a star trumps over content ( and I feel guilty about acknowledging this).

Box Office is ultimate and you'll see the offers of these people dry up when their box office gets worse 

Originally posted by mintyblue

I completely agree with you. If a trailer piques my interest, I'll go and watch the movie n theatre. But I also go for the actor sometimes. For e.g. -- I didn't like the trailer of Chapaak, it was underwhelming to me, but because it was Deepika's movie, I watched it first day first show. So sometimes my liking for a star trumps over content ( and I feel guilty about acknowledging this).

For me it's different, I don't care who the actor is if I find the trailer good or bad. This actually works in favour of me because I never have any permanent favourite actor or actress. Lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ Keeps on changing. For me content matters the most..

Though, one thing is there with me that if I like any actor or actress, I do try the trailer of that particular actor or actress, that's one thing. ๐Ÿ˜‚