How many times is 'Writing' Mentioned in MB&SBh?

Posted: 3 years ago

I can remember two clear times in the entire story:

1. Ganesha writing MB while Vyasa narrates.

2. Rukmini sends a letter to Krishna (I know that's in SBh but still)

Now, was writing mentioned anywhere else?

Also, if they could write letters, why was so much of an emphasis put on messengers/dootas?

If we are adding SMB, then before Rukmini Swayamwar, Rukmi/Jarasangh writes to Shishupal about their plan of having a fixed Swayamwar of Rukmini

The messenger or Doot wasn't only to cascade the message, they served the same purpose what the ambassadors or diplomats serve today. They were mouthpiece of the native state. Aside they could explain the message in a more rational way. 

Originally posted by proteeti

I can remember two clear times in the entire story:

1. Ganesha writing MB while Vyasa narrates.

2. Rukmini sends a letter to Krishna (I know that's in SBh but still)

Now, was writing mentioned anywhere else?

Also, if they could write letters, why was so much of an emphasis put on messengers/dootas?

Ganesha part was removed from CE as interpolation IIRC. Rukmini is not part of MBH

2 major reasons why writing was not common. 1. Paper had yet to be invented. 2. Lapiz lazuli was used for writing. It was a metal which had to be mined and was pretty expensive. Actually, Panchali sends Bheema after saugandhika gem and lapis lazli and that so-called flower episode. 

I think Lord krishna write letter for gopis and send letter through udhav ji 

And I think writing was less then in. Comparison to oral in dwapar yug time  most of communication is orally only 

Like vedyas wrote mahabharat, sri madh bhagwat 

Sri madh bhagwat  was narrated by vyas 's , son shuk dev to parikshit 

And mahabharat was narrated by    vyas disciples  vaishampayene to parikshi son  janmayena 

Vyas gave  collection of bhoj patra in which bhagwat written to  his son sukh dev 

And vyas gave collection of  bhoj patra  in which mahabharat written to his dicple    vaishampayene

Then  after few years  when vaishampayene  died then  mahabharat  was narrated by another person ( he can be vaishampayene son ) to another person  and so on like this mahabharat  , srimadh bhagwat  passes through generation to generation  

Generation  to generation bhoj patra  is preserved for some years but how some bhoj patra is lost that now days we don't have much written piece of ancient times 

Means writer is only one but there are  can be many narrater 

Edited by surabhi01 - 3 years ago

Thanks for all the valid points everyone!

@Surabhi di, could you find me where you got Vyasa giving the bhoja-patra to Shuka?

I am also under the impression that the "writing" portions were included AFTER people actually started writing and that MB and all other texts were narrated orally.

Because, if those books were written down from the get go, we would have considerably less interpolations (people would probably still put in stuff but I guess they'd do less often)

I feel oral tradition is why MB gained so much of traction. Since so many different people modified it, all of their perspectives and life-views are also merged with this book. This is in part why it gets to EVERYONE who reads it, in some form or other. smiley42

Here is link of suk dev story  . I am telling in short  , for full  details please check link which I gave

In this story it written that  suk dev was incarnation of Lord shiv and don't want to come out from    mother womb because of sansarik moh Maya. After 12years  he come out and immediately leave his parents and start doing bhakti  nirarakaar  ishwar

Ved vyas want his son suk dev to study  bhagwat  but suk  did not pay attention 

Then  ved vyas made his learn  two shlokas  of Lord krishna to his students 

Means ved vyas ne apne shishya ko  Lord krishnha ke two shlok rataa  diya 

Then those  students were recting   shlok then suk dev ask them where did u learn these shloka 

They say from ur father  

Then suk dev immediately go to ved vyas  and studied  shree madh bhagwat 

So by this I made conclusions that ved vyas gave collection of bhoj putra to  suk dev to study bhagwat

https://aaradhika.com/krishna/vyasnandan_shri_sukhdev_ji/

It is also written in  shreemadh bhagwat in  first skandh chapter 6 ( method of reading shreemadh bhagwat) 

Where shanauk  asking questions to suta ji when  when these  shreemadh bhagwat was heard 

Then   suta  ji replied  

When  shree  krishna leave then after when kaliyug pass 30y years  then bhagwat was  narrated by  shuk dev to parikshit 

And when  kaliyug cross 200years  then gokarn  narrated shree madh bhagwat  then after 30years sanakad narrated shree madh bhagwat  to narad ji 

It is also written that in  first skandh and chapter 6 that at the age of 16  suk dev reading shreemadh bhagwat with devotion 

It means  if   suk dev was is reading that  means vedyas did write shree madh bhagwat   and  he could read shree madh bhagwat only if it is given by  his father vedyas 

And also  shreemadh  bhagwat katha was first narrated by suk dev( vyas son) 

Before suk dev no one narrated bhagwat to anyone 

And also in   ram charitra  in sundar kand it is written then when vaanar  were beating  very badly  demons then laxman   had mercy on demon  and then he gave patrika  ( letter) in name of raavan  . This patrika  also  indicates that people use to write in treta yug 

And raavan read patrika ( letter)  so writing was there even in treta yug   even before dwarpar yug  there was system of writing 

And I think in satyug  there must be writing 

And I think writing does not come in between  writing is always from beginning 

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m01/m01063.htm

In this parv 

Ved vyas ask  his student vaishampayene  to narrate  mahabharat to janamaye  what ever  vaishampayene  heard from vedyas

( vaishampayene  heard  mahabharat from  vedyas) 

So  vaishampayene narrated mahabharat to  janamaye   in front of his guru vedyas 

And it is also written in this parv  that  vaishampayene telling to  janamaye that who ever  study bharat for 4 months during rainy season that person will free from all sins 

Here  vaishampayene   say whoever study bharat it means  bharat was also written  

And vaishampayene also said to janamaye that ved vyas complete his  mahabharat  work in three years  this also show mahabharat was written 

Record of every puran    vedas  and other spiritual text   are kept in  ancient time too by  rishis 

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m01/m01006.htm

In this link it is said ancient text are recorded chronicle

But study toh sunke bhi we can do na. Studying can also be done by reciting over and over. I think they call it Shruti. 😳

There might've been written documents before the earliest found ones also na.

Maybe, for the earliest manuscripts they hadn't figured out how to preserve it. Ya phir, they didn't think it was that important to preserve.