Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Kareena survived 20 years due to what factors?

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

Kareena is the only one among her contemporaries who has thrived for 20 years, despite ups and downs. She started out around d same time as Esha, Bipasha, Amisha, Dia etc. -- none of whom could sustain as long as she did.

She has undeniable star power ( as can be seen from the openings of Ki and Ka, Heroine, Veere di wedding etc.).The only actress from her time who's still at the top of her game & very much relevant so is her market value despite reaching 40. Getting full fledged roles in A-List films and production houses. 

Would you say she's an excellent actress? I think not, and yet I think she's very talented. She can pull off different characters with ease and quite effortlessly. She does overact sometimes, but I think what makes up for her shortcomings as an actress is her massive ability to connect with the audience. That quality is present in very few actresses. She has screen presence, loads of it. And she's not afraid to take risks ( Chameli, Dev, etc.) She's done a good balancing act between flowerpot roles in big commercial films and content-based cinema as of late(Udta Punjab, for example).

In Good Newzz, she was lauded by the critics as a star performer.

I do think she should do more female-centric roles as she has the box-office pull and is a good actress overall. That's my only complaint against her -- she doesn't do those kind of films which Vidya, Kangana do. She mas more box-office pull than them and can rise to the occasion when needed. If we compare her filmography to Priyanka's, Priyanka has far more memorable/challenging roles. Kareena has only a Jab We met which people remember her for, she was good in all her other films, but nothing which will be remembered for years.

In Angrezi Medium, she nailed the role of a cop. It's always a pleasure to watch her on-screen.

What factors has made her survive where others have faded out?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

Okay so lemme clear first that I am not a Kareena stan, I am not a stan of anybody lol but I have seen a couple of her movies recently and this is what I feel.

Firstly she is a great actress. She is the perfect mix of talent and charisma. And her screen presence is fire. Out of all her contemporaries you named above she was the only one who managed to stay relevant and did not let marriage or kids stop her from doing what she wanted to do. And she was the most talented out of her contemporaries (she and PC for me are the same level).

She reinvents herself all the time. Certain movies of hers back in 2000s had loud and terrible overacting. Thats also a director's demand. But as time went, she moulded herself and was more subtle on screen. 

She worked with younger actors like Imran and Arjun and didnt care that she was older than them. The reason why she is still considered for lead roles is coz she doesn't let her age or society norms decide for her to give up her work.

She is an excellent actress but she preferred commercial cinema initially and now she dabbles in content-based films as its more in demand (UP, Angrezi Medium). Her films selection are based on what is more popular at that time. So her films stay relevant and she knows how to balance it out.

You forget her most memorable role is Poo and every damn college going rich girl has been based off her. That entry of hers with Its Rainin' Men playing in the background is still so freakin iconic.

She might have had mainly Poo, Geet and Chameli, but honestly her work as Rosie (Talaash), Mahi (Heroine) and Riana (EMAET) is unparalleled. I just saw Talaash a few days ago after years and realised how much more Kareena added to the film. It was clearly her film, and not Aamir's or Rani's. I felt the same when I saw Heroine. She was working with mainly C Listers in that but what acting. Specially that last scene when the media hordes her. Shame the film didnt release in today's time, it would have done so much better. And all these movies were ahead of their times, they would have done A LOT better if released today.

Now since female centric roles are becoming popular, she might end u doing a movie of that genre. But then at the same time I feel that she gave us a commercial female centric film with Veere...which I am sure would have not made the numbers it did if it weren't for Kareena. Because content based female centric films are sure to either get numbers or its easier for producers to say ki content thi so audience didnt come and watch. That was not possible with Veere.

Finally she still has spunk which is clearly visible in Chandigarh Mein. Even though I like watching Kiara, I couldn't take my eyes off Kareena in the song. She's so effortless and you just get drawn towards her even if there are 20 people on screen with her.

mintyblue thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Ashley.Tisdale

Okay so lemme clear first that I am not a Kareena stan, I am not a stan of anybody lol but I have seen a couple of her movies recently and this is what I feel.

Firstly she is a great actress. She is the perfect mix of talent and charisma. And her screen presence is fire. Out of all her contemporaries you named above she was the only one who managed to stay relevant and did not let marriage or kids stop her from doing what she wanted to do. And she was the most talented out of her contemporaries (she and PC for me are the same level).

She reinvents herself all the time. Certain movies of hers back in 2000s had loud and terrible overacting. Thats also a director's demand. But as time went, she moulded herself and was more subtle on screen. 

She worked with younger actors like Imran and Arjun and didnt care that she was older than them. The reason why she is still considered for lead roles is coz she doesn't let her age or society norms decide for her to give up her work.

She is an excellent actress but she preferred commercial cinema initially and now she dabbles in content-based films as its more in demand (UP, Angrezi Medium). Her films selection are based on what is more popular at that time. So her films stay relevant and she knows how to balance it out.

You forget her most memorable role is Poo and every damn college going rich girl has been based off her. That entry of hers with Its Rainin' Men playing in the background is still so freakin iconic.

She might have had mainly Poo, Geet and Chameli, but honestly her work as Rosie (Talaash), Mahi (Heroine) and Riana (EMAET) is unparalleled. I just saw Talaash a few days ago after years and realised how much more Kareena added to the film. It was clearly her film, and not Aamir's or Rani's. I felt the same when I saw Heroine. She was working with mainly C Listers in that but what acting. Specially that last scene when the media hordes her. Shame the film didnt release in today's time, it would have done so much better. And all these movies were ahead of their times, they would have done A LOT better if released today.

Now since female centric roles are becoming popular, she might end u doing a movie of that genre. But then at the same time I feel that she gave us a commercial female centric film with Veere...which I am sure would have not made the numbers it did if it weren't for Kareena. Because content based female centric films are sure to either get numbers or its easier for producers to say ki content thi so audience didnt come and watch. That was not possible with Veere.

Finally she still has spunk which is clearly visible in Chandigarh Mein. Even though I like watching Kiara, I couldn't take my eyes off Kareena in the song. She's so effortless and you just get drawn towards her even if there are 20 people on screen with her.

You have put it very well.

So, we can safely say that the factors going in her favour are:

1. Massive screen presence -- This is the biggest factor.

2. Good acting skills

3. Ability to move with the times/stay relevant/ stay abreast with the trends

4.  Maintain a balance between commercial and content -- though the balance is titled more towards commercial( which is a key ingredient to her success I feel, though her fans may want to see her more in female-centric roles).

5. Leave her imprint on the characters she plays

Am I missing out something?

BinKuchKahe. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Kareena is a good actress no doubt. 

But I do think that what's kept her relevant has been (1) Kapoor family name & contacts (2) marriage to Saif  (3) Taimur 

Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

This content was originally posted by: mintyblue

You have put it very well.

So, we can safely say that the factors going in her favour are:

1. Massive screen presence -- This is the biggest factor.

2. Good acting skills

3. Ability to move with the times/stay relevant/ stay abreast with the trends

4.  Maintain a balance between commercial and content -- though the balance is titled more towards commercial( which is a key ingredient to her success I feel, though her fans may want to see her more in female-centric roles).

5. Leave her imprint on the characters she plays

Am I missing out something?

This comes under point 2 but her expressions and her eyes. I have always noticed she gives the most effortless expressions on screen and her eyes have that sparkle if ukwim. 

mintyblue thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: BinKuchKahe.

Kareena is a good actress no doubt. 

But I do think that what's kept her relevant has been (1) Kapoor family name & contacts (2) marriage to Saif  (3) Taimur 

Taimur might be a reason, but I do think the Kapoor surname and marriage to Saif are not that important factors. Mainly because I see Abhishek who was completely rejected by the audience despite his Bachchan surname and Saif is anyways a flop actor, so marrying him isn't exactly a big deal.

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Her age allows her to do movies with the big stars of 50s, has popularity among launde lapade as a hot milf and a starkid who gets immense support from the industry, and despite being an arrogant dumbass has maintained good relationship with almost everyone.

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Esha Deol debuted around the same time and her parents were bigger stars than Kareena’s . Nepotism can give you chances but can’t make you a star if you don’t have anything special

AllThatCritique thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

This content was originally posted by: mintyblue

Taimur might be a reason, but I do think the Kapoor surname and marriage to Saif are not that important factors. Mainly because I see Abhishek who was completely rejected by the audience despite his Bachchan surname and Saif is anyways a flop actor, so marrying him isn't exactly a big deal.

Abhishek is the son of the person who is considered as arguably the greatest actor of Hindi cinema and one of the greatest in the world. Completely different from Kareena's case. Nothing Kareena did was compared to a previous generation. Only to Karishma and Kareena was the better actor and far more beautiful than her sister so the comparison did no harm. Even Ranbir wasn't compared all that much to his father cause his father had lost much of the Kapoor ground back then. He was mildly compared to his grandfather who wasn't alive. 

Edited by AllThatCritique - 3 years ago

She is not relevant in mainstream or popular among new gen . She is just there