Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Are box-office pull and stardom the same thing?

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

...or is there a difference?

For example, Can one have box-office pull( Rani) and still be a lesser star than say, Aishwarya?

I am saying this because Aishwarya is still in Ormax list of most popular stars, but she doesn't have any box-office pull, as can be seen from her disastrous attempts to make a comeback.

Also, I am citing the example of Aamir Khan and SRK. I firmly believe AK has more box-office pull, but SRK is a bigger star as per popularity.

Please explain/discuss.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

STARDOM is maintained due to Box Office pull, else it is fazed out. 

Aishwarya doesn't have any stardom, Rani does have stardom as well as Box Office pull till now.

SRK is a bigger Star with Bigger Stardom than Aamir, while despite having some of the biggest grosser to his name, Aamir couldn't build-up stardom

ponymo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Aishwarya's comeback film opened (4.23 cr) as big as Deepika's or Katrina's or Kangana's solo films (or bigger). And this was after the trailer was received badly and it released on a regular working day and no festival/holiday.

Can't compare male actors with female actors in this case because actresses' box office pull is limited. 

The only other way actresses may get a bigger opening than usual is through raunchy/sex scenes/adult content.

It's probably because men are the decision makers in a family and they wouldn't want to watch a woman leading a film. It's much more complex than that but yeah in a nutshell it's because of sexism.

Aamir has credibility of good films so people come forward to watch his films even if they are not his fans. SRK has this cult fan following. People may lose interest in his films but they are fans because of his charm/nostalgia/wittiness, among other reasons.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

I think they are one in the same. An neither last forever

Terenaina thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Aishwarya can’t act to save her life, she became very famous and popular due to her beauty. Her movies flopped and she does movies with big name actors and directors. She can’t carry a movie on her shoulder even her flop movie that had 4 crore opening day had a well known actor in the movie. Box office pull helps with becoming a star. But you to be loved by audience for 20 years and had huge hits with newcomers along side others to be a superstar and have stardom 

Edited by Terenaina - 3 years ago
Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: Terenaina

Aishwarya can’t act to save her life, 

The truth 😆

vsbarry thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Edited by vsbarry - 3 years ago
vsbarry thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

BO is more important because it paves way for stardom. You dont get noticed if your films are not making money no matter how good looking or talented you are. That's why getting the correct opportunities in BW holds so much weight.

So, BO to me is a pre-requisite for stardom. Those who can attain BO success do so now days because of content of their films and being in films which the audience likes. Before, it was more about the aura of a particuar actor. Now even those publicized as stars in new gen are not raking in numbers based on name alone. A publicized popular actor in a bad film (by bad. I mean it does not entertain the audience) can forfeit their growth and stardom potential without doing the right work.

There are multiple actors today who have left the legacy of being stars just because of BO. Be it deepika, katrina in females, they are considered stars based on their BO successes. I doubt if they did not attain the BO success they did, they would be considered much of stars today. Actesses have less time to prove themselves and thus "peak" is usually used for their career graph. Once they attain this, they become "stars" and industry likes to move on to the next generation of actresses. With actors, they have more time to attain star status.

Sorry this post went too long, i got into it..lolz

Edited by vsbarry - 3 years ago
YourCat thumbnail

Not to me, dont take it personally if I dont watch a fav celeb movie, i like the celebrity but to watch a whole boring movie, with sad crying depresing scenes, I cant do that. I will enjoy the promotions and interviews though. 

blue-ice.1 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

I think they are one in the same. An neither last forever

Stardom does.....AB Sr's movies open at hardly 5 cr...but if you ask general public(not this forum🤣) the name of the biggest movie star of all times.....I can bet more than 50% will take AB's name.....and this is stardom⭐️.....yes BO pull goes away for various reasons and will happen to everyone sooner or later..