Silvery Moonlit Night

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 3 years ago

Hello readers!!

This fan Fiction is loosely based on MIshti and Abir of the show YRHPK . the characters and their situations have changed. This has light romance and suitable for 13+

this was written for an OS contest 3 yrs back... I decided to share it in the forum .

Haunting strains of melody wafted in the air over the moonlit, bougainvillea fringed path, up to the ornate gates of the sprawling bungalow, as Vishambar a septuagenarian retired lawyer strolled with his grand daughter Mishti . She was secretly over the moon, not missing daddu's eyes trying to locate the origin of the melodious voice...... their neighbour Kalyani aunty, a retired professor of Music. 

Abir Mishti’s fiancé knew, his girl was plagued by thoughts of leaving her Daddu on his own, in this sprawling mansion at the mercy of servants, however trustworthy they might be. Mishti and Daddu’s childhood buddy, Kaushal wanted to pair up Vishambar n Kalyani. Abir’s sixth had a jaded feel about this pairing, being scared of offending the othodox sensibilities of the two.

It was just two months ago Mishti, Abir and Kaushal had tried to convince Vishambar, who had been a widower for the last ten years, that he needed a partner for companionship. His own children were abroad and Mishti, his only grandchild in India, was about to tie the knot by end of this year. 

Mishti regretted conjuring up a recipe for disaster, by bringing face to face two humans, both wracked with guilt about betraying their late life partners. Vishambar exploded at this unacceptable idea. Kaushal uncle tried to enumerate the benefits of the alliance. Unfortunately his efforts boomeranged and he was left dismayed to discover Vishambar and Kalyani had turned hostile. The youngsters Mishti and Abir knew getting oversensitive and overemotional would hamper their battle against stereotypes, hence they too backed out. It was futile being at loggerheads with people ripened by age and experience.

Daddu assumed the matter had got brushed under the carpet for good. Mishti knew her Vishambar daddu too well, even though she had limited success in her initiative she remained very hopeful. She had grown up knowing both Daddu n Kalyani Aunty since she was a baby. Even though daddu had hard to please obstinate ways, he and Kalyani aunty were similarly inclined and were pretty much water form the same well. 

The warm summer afternoons stretched out like a yawn and on one such day Mishti  decided to share some tasty treats she got from Kalyani aunty with Abir and Kaushal uncle. Daddu joined them for some fun filled boisterous camaraderie. Kaushal gossiped how another elderly couple in neighbourhood, Mr n Mrs Ahuja,  just got separated. Daddu was not surprised as Mrs Ahuja's motto remained "a tamasha a day keeps indigestion away". Every day mundane activities used to turn into unnecessary heightened melodrama in their house. The topic then shifts to Mr Sharma and Mrs Khanna's attempted adulterous tryst that went horribly wrong, forcing all friends n family into embark upon a damage control mission. Daddu lovingly reprimands them, not to behave like sadists who take delight in the misfortunes of others. 

In his alcohol induced exuberance Vishambar then remembers his late wife Rajshree. She was always her usual spitfire self, missing no chance to give him back his own medicine ...she was fussy, fastidious, finicky and considered herself a know it all. Vishambar had grown tired of her. Mishti was saddened as she wondered if Daddu was relieved when Daadi left for heavenly abode.  

He surprises everyone  by mentioning how Kalyani aunty was always  impeccably attired. She was soft spoken lady, who kept to herself and never manipulated people and situations to suit her own.

Mishti’s efforts bore fruits as Kalyani Aunty slowly became more receptive and open minded and liked their idea of having Vishambar as her life partner. She managed to persuade Vishambar Daddu to invite Kalyani over to join them for a chit chat, Kalyani joins them and is so pleased to see everyone relishing her home made snacks. She eyes Vishambar and makes it clear to him, that it was  perfectly fine not to climb each n every mountain in life. Feeling relaxed Kalyani gradually puts down her guard and laughs how her late husband, Mehul and his queer dislikes. 

Kalyani tells Abir n Mishti, heading for matrimony, that love is not based on romance, candle light dinner and walk along the beach. In fact it is based on care, compromise, respect and trust, breaking free the shackles of tradition. When two people are meant for eachother , no time is too long, no distance is too far and no one can tear them apart . Mishti was secretly excited beyond words as she noticed how Vishambar was staring at the sweet septuagenarian, Kalyani , sitting next to her, in flowing pale blue outfit with hint of gold, stroking her luxuriant silver tresses. She too stole glances of the the quirky daddu on whom the sands of time have left their marks. Mishti could hardly hide her smile.

Few days later Mishti excitedly assisted Kalyani Aunty in the kitchen, in rustling up one of her secret recipes ..... keema paratha .... a clutch of smiling servants watched Kalyani's every move , merrily indulging in speculations. As expected Daddu initially tried to express his resentment.. but soon his interest in keema paratha was furthered by the tantalising aroma tickling his nostrils. At the dining table he pretended  to show disinterest on the table laid out with Yummy crispy keema parathas , Pudina chutney, vinegar soaked Onion rings and pickled chillies , yogurt,chilled sweet lassi .... As every bite of savoury keema delicacy melted into his mouth, so did his reservations and apprehensions about Kalyani. He was left yearning for more .

As days melted away Vishambar noticed, his thoughts were free to go anywhere but it was surprising how often they headed in Kalyani's direction !! His interest in Kalyani was furthered by her sweet melodious bhajans she sang at dawn n dusk, filling the neighbourhood with the blessings of the almighty. Encouraged on sensing positive resonances from Kalyani, daddu could no more disagree with Mishti that spending the rest of his sunset years in the company of this gentle woman was not a bad idea. 

Mishti secretly basked in accomplishment as she, Kaushal uncle n Abir sat together with Daddu and Kalyani aunty, sharing their dreams n disappointments. Vishambar liked how Kalyani never succumbed to brooding clouds but always looked for silver lining. They agreed to understand, appreciate and acknowledge their differences. Foundations of a new castle was laid as both refused to be burdened by past baggages. It was endearing to watch them accept each other with an open mind. None of the nocturnal wanderings of Mishti- Mishti and Vishambar- Kalyani go unnoticed by either couple’s keen watchful eyes.

Later the elderly couple sat quietly on a garden bench under the canopy of bougainvillea blooms, awkwardly sharing a tube of mosquito repellant. 

Their silences did the talking, as they admired the silvery moonlight peeking thru the leaves, dancing in the breeze and knitting a brand new fairy tale...... 

Fantasy, Moon, Lake, Water, Ship, Human, Look

Edited by Sutapasima - 3 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

Very sweet. Mishti brought about a second chance at happiness for both seniors.

Wow, dear! Due to your book cover request, hit this post and found a gem!

Your language skill is great! And the way you build the story atmosphere is beautiful right from the start.

Haven't seen the show..... and currently locked with family in house arrest; so can't make my choices in watching😆; but will watch later and then re-read your OS. I am sure, I'll enjoy it more once I get the references

Originally posted by Loving2Missing2

Wow, dear! Due to your book cover request, hit this post and found a gem!

Your language skill is great! And the way you build the story atmosphere is beautiful right from the start.

Haven't seen the show..... and currently locked with family in house arrest; so can't make my choices in watching😆; but will watch later and then re-read your OS. I am sure, I'll enjoy it more once I get the references

Thank you for your comment dear.😊

You encouraged me to continue with the story n may be add more sequels to it .👍🏼

My OS is totally different from the story line of YRHPK 

Only similarities may be the pairing of Mishti n Abir . 

Originally posted by Sutapasima

Thank you for your comment dear.😊

You encouraged me to continue with the story n may be add more sequels to it .👍🏼

Amen!

My OS is totally different from the story line of YRHPK 

Only similarities may be the pairing of Mishti n Abir . 

Neha: I know, it must be so..... but I kind of got totally confused..... Who can be both Mishti and Daddu's childhood friend??.....need to understand the characters.