Horrible Childhood - Page 2

Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by proteeti

That is just how their society was at that time. I don't think the games were as harmful as they have been made to look like.

And you've got it right, the elders, just because they were able to learn loving their siblings on their own, and irrespective of other factors (did they really? smiley2), they expected Ps and Ks to do that too!

Yeah, Exaggeration is there with Bheema going to naglok etc but elders should have paid more attention, especially after This poisoning incident, Dury got away unpunished for a serious crime

There's mention of Karna during poisoning incident which happened before Drona training them, how is it possible?

Originally posted by NoraSM

Yeah, Exaggeration is there with Bheema going to naglok etc but elders should have paid more attention, especially after This poisoning incident, Dury got away unpunished for a serious crime

There's mention of Karna during poisoning incident which happened before Drona training them, how is it possible?

Maybe Adhiratha left him with Dury's babysitter while he drove around the big guys? 😆

Karna was the son of Duryodhan's father's charioteer. Those were the closest associates of the Rathi in those days. Only the most trusted ones were given that role (don't ask me why Karna got Shalya) so it was but natural that Karna would know the Kaurav kids since childhood. He might have not been in his innermost circle by then, but would definitely have been a confidant. It is impossible that Karna n Duryodhan didn't know each other before Dron classes. Maybe earlier Karna was more like a Sewak/servant to Duryodhan, who became a friendly during studies and later best friend after Rangbhumi incident

About the topic the actions of Bheem wasn't "playful" as these people try to portray. Those would have definitely caused huge pain and could have resulted in severe injury. If it simply was brotherly banter then Pandavas would have also suffered it, but they didn't. His actions were simply not acceptable and needed to stopped, the only thing in his favour was the conceal that Duryodhan and party did something much more severe, something criminal.

Why were these kids not punished for such horrific acts is something I want to understand. Were the parents after having seen such differences really expecting that they would rule as a team? Why didn't they try to part the gaps

Vidurji might be my personal favourite, but even he isn't completely untainted. He has his contribution in the making of Duryodhan. Any kid who comes to know that his own uncle had advised for his murder at birth would get vengeful. Would hate his uncle and anyone he loves. Constantly telling kids that they are papi, criminal will not help in getting them redeemed.

When I read the whole thing about broken shoulders, head, Bheema drowning them and shaking the tree so they fall, I don't see what you are seeing, I don't see a child there, I don't see a child in Duryodhana too

I would not love or have good feelings for a bully and someone who is constantly trying to harm me

Why did adults think that these kids who tried to kill each other will run a kingdom together?

I get your point. In modern age such acts are criminal. Even I wouldn't harbour anything positive for bullies.

Adults might have thought things will improve once they grow up. But, things worsened and the partition took place.

The entire thing is obviously exaggerated a lot. A lot of the things are over the top in Mahabharata, so if people easily believe certain parts are not true and dramatized like naag lok sequence, Gandhari's blessings to her son and all, so it's natural other parts are very stretched as well. I mean how can a small boy not only single handedly harass 100 boys of his own age but break their bones, fracture their skull, drown them even shake trees🤯😆 and nobody opposes it, not even those putra moha main blinded parents and obsessed Mama. The entire clan always looked for opportunities to put the Ps down, it wouldn't have been passed away so easily if the things were such extreme.

The moment the Ps entered the kingdom it was 100 ks vs 5 Ps. Bhim was the most powerful and was a direct threat to Dur/suryodhan. Hence, Bhim was poisoned in an attempt to eliminate him in the childhood itself. 

Well that's the beauty of Mahabharat, everybody has their own way of interpretation and their own truth. No one knows it accurately. The original also has many contradictions and inconsistency. Take everything with not just a grain but a spoon full of salt.

I feel Bhima as an character is always underplayed by the writers. He is said to have won all his battles and conquered a lot of kingdoms too. He even won Anga rajya, defeated Karana multiple times. But, it's never talked about. It's Arjun who gets the most accolades. He held heavier mace than Dur but in kurukshetra mostly used his bow and arrow and successfully defeated everybody including 98 Ks. But Bhima is never said to be good in archery like Arjun or even Karana. Most writers never go beyond portraying Bhima other than a brawny, glutton bully. Mostly because the earliest versions neglected to add anything else to his character making him very one dimensional. But, ironically Bhima is worshipped in almost all parts of India.

Edited by Cutie_Pri - 3 years ago

What Bheema did may have been playful to him, but it wouldn't have been to the ones at the receiving end. I am definitely not a Kaurava fan, but there is no sugarcoating this. The Pandavas started the fighting.

Violent bullying by children is still violence. No excuses.

What's more, the adults didn't intervene. Not only that, they later punished one side and let the other go scot free. 

Bheeshma, Vidura et al were fool enough to believe the situation was conducive to sibling camaraderie as adults? Vidura I can understand to some extent as Vyasa later says he was Yudhishtira's father. What about Bheeshma? Where was he in all this? 

When adults refuse to put a stop to such blatant violence, kids will find their own ways to cope. If physical assault was part of kshatriya games, then perhaps so was poisoning. I know it wasn't, but people really shouldn't attempt to justify the unjustifiable, be it Bheema's violence or Suyodhana's poisoning attempt. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago

So, Karna was son of Charioteer so he was always around Duryodhan

Exaggeration is there, I don't believe a child can sketch out plan of poisoning with picnic throwing Bheema down the river, I mean its a little difficult to digest a child can do something like this before he started getting education, he wasn't old enough to start studying, with mentions of snakes, isn't it possible a snake bit Bheema? Do they mention this incident later in any part of Mahabharata? I mean a child thinking that Bheema will be a problem between him and throne, why not kill Yudishtir? 

Shakuni being there is the only thing which confirms this poisoning incident, that dude was messed up

Edited by NoraSM - 3 years ago

So, Karna was son of Charioteer so he was always around Duryodhan

Exaggeration is there, I don't believe a child can sketch out plan of poisoning with picnic throwing Bheema down the river, I mean its a little difficult to digest a child can do something like this before he started getting education, he wasn't old enough to start studying, with mentions of snakes, isn't it possible a snake bit Bheema? Do they mention this incident later in any part of Mahabharata? I mean a child thinking that Bheema will be a problem between him and throne, why not kill Yudishtir? 

Wasn't it Shakuni who planted the seed of hatred in his nephews head. Wasn't it Shakuni who planned the whole poisoning, so yes it was not all Duryodhana. And didn't Dhus helped his elder brother to drown Bhima in the water. Poisoning food was and still is so common. No child is born evil. Shakuni molded his nephews and helped him to achieve his own selfish ambitions. 

Originally posted by Persephone_Pri

Wasn't it Shakuni who planted the seed of hatred in his nephews head. Wasn't it Shakuni who planned the whole poisoning, so yes it was not all Duryodhana. And didn't Dhus helped his elder brother to drown Bhima in the water. Poisoning food was and still is so common. No child is born evil. Shakuni molded his nephews and helped him to achieve his own selfish ambitions. 

Saw the edit latter😛

Originally posted by HearMeRoar

What Bheema did may have been playful to him, but it wouldn't have been to the ones at the receiving end. I am definitely not a Kaurava fan, but there is no sugarcoating this. The Pandavas started the fighting.

Violent bullying by children is still violence. No excuses.

What's more, the adults didn't intervene. Not only that, they later punished one side and let the other go scot free. 

Bheeshma, Vidura et al were fool enough to believe the situation was conducive to sibling camaraderie as adults? Vidura I can understand to some extent as Vyasa later says he was Yudhishtira's father. What about Bheeshma? Where was he in all this? 

When adults refuse to put a stop to such blatant violence, kids will find their own ways to cope. If physical assault was part of kshatriya games, then perhaps so was poisoning. I know it wasn't, but people really shouldn't attempt to justify the unjustifiable, be it Bheema's violence or Suyodhana's poisoning attempt. 

Were the Kaurav's ever punished. I don't know much about it. Duryodhana was never punished for the attempted murder of Bhima. I know there is a ridiculous notion that he was sent to Gurukul as punishment, but when did school became punishment ðŸ˜† And even if it was then why were the rest of the kauravs and Pandavs sent to Gurukul with him. He got off scott-free both with Bhima's attempted murder and lakshagraha assassination.