Mahabharat

Kunti’s decision

pari0706 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 3 years ago

For a long time now I have had this question I’m my mind and wanted your opinion on this. 

kunti asked Pandav’s to avenge Draupadi. The pandavas spent 13 years without her love and blessings. They came back and fought the war. 

In this war they lost all elders and their children. Most definitely they will not be in the best of states when they returned. Surely Kunti should have been with them and supporting them in their biggest task. 

But she felt her dharma was to be with Dhritarashtra and Gandhari? She went in Forest with them!!! That couple who were the root cause of the injustice to her sons???

I am not sure why she did that but whenever I have asked this question I was told that that was how the norm was that in order to be with the elders of the family you have to sacrifice your children!!! 

Personally I cannot agree with that and wanted to get your opinion. As I feel Kunti gave another wound to Pandavs when she left!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Eloquent thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

After the war Kunti did not immediately go off to the forest.

They stayed together for some years setting right everything.

Afterwards, since all 3 oldies i.e. Dhritarashtra, Gandhari & Kunti were getting on in years and it was understood n practiced that older people once all obligations were done in life retreated to a forest life i.e. Vanaprastha 

That's why after all their obligations and interest in life were done, the 3 along with Vidura went to the forest to live out the rest of their days.

pari0706 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Aaah that makes more sense I thought they went straight away which was what made me confused. Thanks a ton

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

This is the #1 reason I loathe Kunti: her sticking to Dhritarashtra and Gandhari like a leech

naq5 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

This is the #1 reason I loathe Kunti: her sticking to Dhritarashtra and Gandhari like a leech

yes inspite that her   sons were wronged by them. She stayed with dhrit instead of her sons. 

nuckts thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5

That's a good question this king had done so many injustice with her family,  he was powerful but never thought of giving good values to his children , this queen who had surrendered her children to her manipulative brother,  how are there people trustworthy to even stay with them? 

I sometimes really feel she needed to take a stand for herself, she could have accompanied pandavas during khandavaprastha incident,  or atleast during war she could have stayed with them. 

Maybe this all is star mb version 

Edited by nuckts - 3 years ago
HearMeRoar thumbnail

Out of misplaced sense of guilt probably. The blind man and his passive-aggressive queen who refused to see needed caretakers. Kunti and Vidura were it since no sons were left. The ethically challenged Kaurava parents secretly promoted their sons' bad behavior. Gandhari was clearly present in the dice hall and did nothing to stop the assault on a woman. Even Krishna blamed her when she started cursing at him after war. Kunti still felt some kind of obligation to care for the quasi criminals probably because her sons killed the Kauravas.

Plus, it was time/age for them to retire to the forest

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago
FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

Out of misplaced sense of guilt probably. The blind man and his passive-aggressive queen who refused to see needed caretakers. Kunti and Vidura were it since no sons were left. The ethically challenged Kaurava parents secretly promoted their sons' bad behavior. Gandhari was clearly present in the dice hall and did nothing to stop the assault on a woman. Even Krishna blamed her when she started cursing at him after war. Kunti still felt some kind of obligation to care for the quasi criminals probably because her sons killed the Kauravas.

Plus, it was time/age for them to retire to the forest

Yuyutsu was still there, so not everyone died

Aside i think there were more wives of Dhritrashtra. It mentions the son of Dhritrashtra's Vaisya is mentioned in Sabha Parva that couldn't be Yuyutsu's mother right? She was a Dasi n not wife

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: FlauntPessimism

Yuyutsu was still there, so not everyone died

Aside i think there were more wives of Dhritrashtra. It mentions the son of Dhritrashtra's Vaisya is mentioned in Sabha Parva that couldn't be Yuyutsu's mother right? She was a Dasi n not wife

Yuyutsu fought for the other side, no? I'm sure the old king wasn't happy with him. Plus, Yuyutsu preferring to stay back had more to do with them than Kunti's feelings of guilt. I would've preferred it if the couple were forced to stay in Hastinapuri palace and had to listen to Bheema's taunts. They encouraged all the Kaurava misdeeds. Dhritharashtra and Gandhari didn't deserve the help Kunti and Vidura gave them.