Rohini Maiya - Page 2

Posted: 3 years ago

Were only cross cousins marriages common in that era? I always wondered about Arjun and Subhadra marriage.they were cousins how did they marry.i guess cross cousins marriage was common.

Edited by Lazybird_Silpa - 3 years ago

You couldn't marry a person of your same gotra (primitive version of a surname I guess).

When a girl got married, her gotra changed to that of her husband's. So after that that girl's son/daughter could marry a person from his/her mother's family.

It wasn't ideal genetically as we now know now thanks to modern science, but this sorta marriage is still legally possible.

Originally posted by Lazybird_Silpa

Were only cross cousins marriages common in that era? I always wondered about Arjun and Subhadra marriage.they were cousins how did they marry.i guess cross cousins marriage was common.

Cross cousin marriages were prevalent in Indian Hindus, although the pure blooded Aryas like Yaduvanshis and Suryavanshis did not recommend it, the practice wasn't banned. Yaduvanshis avoided (not completely barred) sending their daughters for such marriages but didn't mind accepting them for themselves. 

Others like the Yadavs or Lichhavis practiced it very frequently and cross bred a lot. In fact in the family of Gautam Buddha, they nearly married into each other's families nearly every generation. His wife was the daughter of his bua and mama (who were married. Even today cross cousin marriages are common in South India although even there the practice is slowly declining.

Parallel cousin marriages are completely forbidden in Hinduism since such cousins are considered siblings. Although I do not understand the rationale behind forbidding the marriage between the kids of two sisters since they aren't even Gotris but somehow that was forbidden too

Originally posted by proteeti

You couldn't marry a person of your same gotra (primitive version of a surname I guess).

When a girl got married, her gotra changed to that of her husband's. So after that that girl's son/daughter could marry a person from his/her mother's family.

It wasn't ideal genetically as we now know now thanks to modern science, but this sorta marriage is still legally possible.

Cross cousin marriage is not legal in Hindu marriage act unless it is taking place in a region where such marriages are permissible. It's illegal in North Indian mainland for sure

I checked with my friend in Nepal, even there the first cousin marriage is completely forbidden (cross or parallel)

Cousins' marriage was pretty common in that area (both time and place) I guess? 😆

Krishna also married a cousin of his didn't he?

Yes He did

Only cross cousin marriage were common, parallel cousin marriage was forbidden

And it was common in less famous clans like Yadavas or Lichhavis. 

The purer blood didn't prefer such practices

Suryavanshis completely forbade the practice

Chandravanshis although did condemn the practice but were open to get some girls from their first cross cousins, but didn't give their daughters in such marriages

I really don't know the legal details, but the gotra thing my mum told me about so I figured it must be fine in our place. 😳

Originally posted by FlauntPessimism

Yes He did

Only cross cousin marriage were common, parallel cousin marriage was forbidden

And it was common in less famous clans like Yadavas or Lichhavis. 

The purer blood didn't prefer such practices

Suryavanshis completely forbade the practice

Chandravanshis although did condemn the practice but were open to get some girls from their first cross cousins, but didn't give their daughters in such marriages

Yeah parallel cousins thing is not exactly something I'm comfortable with too.

The Suryavanshi info I didn't have thanks for it!

Though aren't there ANY example of where parallel cousins or even siblings married? We have such long lists, something must there (condemned bhi chalega 😆)!

Yeah parallel cousins thing is not exactly something I'm comfortable with too.

The Suryavanshi info I didn't have thanks for it!

Though aren't there ANY example of where parallel cousins or even siblings married? We have such long lists, something must there (condemned bhi chalega 😆)!

It definitely happened at the beginning. Yam and Yamin are siblings and twins. It is said that before them the marriages of siblings was common, but at their marriage it was realised that such marriages hamper family system so the system was stopped and they are said to be the last siblings to marry

Originally posted by FlauntPessimism

It definitely happened at the beginning. Yam and Yamin are siblings and twins. It is said that before them the marriages of siblings was common, but at their marriage it was realised that such marriages hamper family system so the system was stopped and they are said to be the last siblings to marry

Ooh. But isn't Yami like apni Yamuna? 😕

Ooh. But isn't Yami like apni Yamuna? 😕

I am from Bihar and we have this Godhan instead of Bhai Dooj

The stories of Godhan does have Yamuna asking for a boon from Yam that any brother who meets his sister on this day should be saved from Akaal Mrityu. But Yamuna is only his sister not his wife here

Yamin is someone else. I guess they are triplets or Yamuna is the younger sister of the twins (Yam n Yamin), and Yamin n Yam are married to each other, Yamuna is not into marriage with Yamin