Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 3 years ago

Nand and Yashoda were actually childless for many years, and were considered "middle age" when Yogmaya/Krishna were born to them, so it makes sense that they were gray-haired by the time Krishna was grown up. Ramanand Sagar never shied away from showing gray hair like the newer mythos do lol. Nand and Yashoda were supposed to be a little elderly.

As for Devaki and Vasudev, yes they were imprisoned and thus may have aged quicker, but also...they were imprisoned for a long time too before Krishna was born to them. They gave birth to 6 children over a span of 10ish years of imprisonment, and then were freed momentarily. Then they gave birth to Balaram and Krishna, and after another 12-14 years were freed after the death of Kans. So it makes sense they were also middle aged by the time they were finally freed and united with Krishna and Balaram.

MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: RamKiSeeta

Yes, she was pretty with open hair, but like FlauntPessimism said, back then open hair was considered inauspicious. It was a sign of widowhood (thus why Draupadi's open hair after vastra haran was so significant to portray her displeasure with the Kurus). Ramanand Sagar was very attentive to the customs of that time period, hence why Sita and Devaki were never shown with open hair, even during vanvaas/imprisonment. 😉

But they did show her with open hair at least 3 times! Once in the pink and green outfit when Devbhaag brings them jal from Shursen during her first pregnancy (just before Kirtimaan), once during the whole Kirtimaan scene, once during the flashback to her prior birth as Devi Prishni. Maybe 4 if count some of the snippets of the baby killings before Tu Dheeraj. Sita is also shown with open hair in that blue and yellow dress scene when Lakshman comes to happily announce Ram's almost-coronation before the vanvaas. Also when they're leaving the house for Gauri pooja (although it's tied up again when they reach the temple, she must've gotten fed up of it 😆) I don't think RS was particularly observant of this superstition, they probably just wanted to mix it up and make use of the pretty hair jewelry that only works when your hair is tied 😆

But also... WOW am I psyched that this thread exists smiley41smiley41smiley41smiley41 Anyone who knows me has probably had to bear at least one insane lecture on how these two characters are my top role models from our scriptures, and for me it all started with their portrayal in this show. In fact, Janu and I will never forget the origin story of our friendship and my first post on IF... in the forum for Jai Shri Krishna on Colors TV, back in 2008, she had opened a fan club for Shri Krishna before she even watched the show in full 😆 And she posted a picture of Sheela Sharma as Devaki in BRC Mahabharat instead of Poullommi's portrayal in Shri Krishna and I made my post to correct her 🤣 But also to thank her for creating that thread and giving me the first ever place to profess my love for the show (and for Ramayan on the ASR forum) after having searched for places to discuss them basically since I got the internet 😆 The rest, as they say is history!

These characters, for me, represent everything there is to learn about love and devotion and vaatsalya ras. There is a dialogue in the Bharat Milaap sequence from Ramayan--"prem kiya hai to bin mol bik jaao". As soon as I was old enough to understand these shows I was watching, that dialogue for me became a one line description of Devaki and Vasudev. They bore the greatest sadness imaginable out of selfless love for the rest of the world, they drew the strength to do so out of love for each other, and their love for Krishna was SO pure and powerful that even being separated from him after bearing all that torture to bring him into the world was fine with them, as long as he was safe and happy ❤️ Just imagining him and discussing him and dwelling on him was enough to keep them going for so many years. They're a one-of-a-kind example of how to handle virah and turn it into a tool to deepen love and devotion, of how to feel pain AND keep going. In their lifetimes they missed out on the joys of Krishna's childhood for which the whole world remembers him, and afterwards the world all but forgets them too--but they didn't do what they did for their personal happiness or for the glory of being his parents. They did it for Him  Can't wait to delve into the madness with you guys! This is my jam right here 😆

RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Welcome Lola! 🤗

Regarding the hair - I'm sure you're right, but I also think this superstition is the reason these characters' hair was tied up majority of the time in the older shows, in comparison to the newer shows where they have open hair all the time, and not only open, but combed in the wavy modern fashion of current actresses (like Sita, Draupadi and Devaki had curlers and hair straighteners back then lol).

And also, YES! I'm SO SO happy we finally have a whole forum for SK. We came a long way from those CC days lol, where we had to contain our love and fandom to a single thread. But I'm so grateful to those days. It was so much fun meeting like minded people, and of course I got to meet YOU. ☺️

Now we have a whole thread just for VD. 

wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

Nand Yashoda couldn't have been older than Rohini tho? Although yeah the imprisonment years really add up!

RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: proteeti

Nand Yashoda couldn't have been older than Rohini tho? Although yeah the imprisonment years really add up!

I think they were all the same age? Although I suspect Nand and Yashoda were a little older, because the text does mention they struggled with infertility for many years before Krishna/Yogmaya were born.

I suppose it's still possible they could be the same age as Rohini. Maybe they got married around the same time as Vasudev and Rohini, but they didn't have any children all those years of Vasudev and Devaki's imprisonment.

Either way, neither couple was that young by the time Krishna/Yogmaya were born, as current serials show.

RamKiSeeta thumbnail

What has the show shown till now? Did VD get married? Has the akashwani been shown?

MagadhSundari thumbnail

What has the show shown till now? Did VD get married? Has the akashwani been shown?

Yes and yes, from my twitter stalking, today’s episode seems to have gone from Kirtimaan’s death 😭 to the arrest of all the Ugrasen loyalists and lockdown in Mathura. 

Let’s go scene by scene up to this point? Starting with Akashwani since it’s their first real scene together?  The magic of the portrayal really starts right away in that scene, from these little glances they steal on the chariot, to how immediately his protective instincts set in, to how we see her admiration for him develop in real time. The way that initial expression of fear changes to one of security and pride in having him by her side  screenshots to come!

RamKiSeeta thumbnail

YES!! They really portrayed that initial awkwardness of a newly married couple so well. Especially here where they're stealing shy glances at each other. They are possibly daydreaming about their future together, not know just how wrong everything would happen so quickly. 🥺

And then here...most married couples generally have time to get to know one another before they face any true trials together, but VD were forced into one obstacle after another, and yet they never blamed each other, never felt any resentment for the other. You can tell Devaki truly trusts Vasu here, and feels such pride that he is her husband.

RamKiSeeta thumbnail

This moment is so poignant and so very powerful in just how tragic and raw it is. 🥺

MagadhSundari thumbnail

YES!! They really portrayed that initial awkwardness of a newly married couple so well. Especially here where they're stealing shy glances at each other. They are possibly daydreaming about their future together, not know just how wrong everything would happen so quickly. 🥺

And then here...most married couples generally have time to get to know one another before they face any true trials together, but VD were forced into one obstacle after another, and yet they never blamed each other, never felt any resentment for the other. You can tell Devaki truly trusts Vasu here, and feels such pride that he is her husband.

Yess this is exactly what I mean! There's a very perceptible transition for her, from this very understandable fear for her life...

To this total confidence that she's in good hands (literally 😆) where she literally has this challenging look in her eyes.

And then of course there's that first conversation between them, where she thanks him and tells him she owes him one, and he says there's no owing between a husband and wife when everything they have is for one another ☺️ Such a sweet little dialogue that gives us a glimpse into how united they already feel such a short time into their married life!