Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ponymo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: surajhere

Sameer left Nandini as Gurudakshina to her father. He placed his pride and duty above his love for Nandini.

Vanraj on the other hand placed his wife's love for some other man over his love for her.

Vanraj is easily the better man.

Nandini's father chose correctly. 

And Nandini too chose correctly

Not all our decisions are correct and not all decisions of out parents are wrong.

We can blame the catalyst all we want but that does change the fact that outcome was good. 

If love marriages had been ideal there would have been no divorces in love marriages.

Sameer didn't leave Nandini. He only left the house out of respect for his guru, her father. But he kept making attempts to contact her.

And if "Vanraj placed his wife's love for some other man over his love for her", Sameer did exactly the same thing towards the end. He happily let Nandini go back to her husband, and didn't guilt her into making it look like she ditched him. Compare that to the way Vanraj played victim. 

Truth is Sameer was the bigger victim. He loved Nandini. It was reciprocated too. They truly had something going. And even after years, he still remained loyal to her and waited for her. Vanraj had nothing going with Nandini. They shared cold vibes from day 1. There was nothing except his physical attraction to her. So he had little to lose compared to Sameer. Yet he was acting like a cranky guy, manipulating Nandini for his sacrifice, and guilting her into choosing him over Sameer.

So no, Sameer was a far better guy than Vanraj.

When you say Nandini's father chose correctly, it's just sheer luck that Vanraj didn't turn out to be a guy who beats his wife like his other daughter. That doesn't mean he was correct.

If I throw someone in front of a speeding truck, and they miraculously escape, you will not call my pushing them in front of a truck was a correct decision. Do you even realize how nonsensical that sounds?

JayaBachan thumbnail

Originally posted by: surajhere

Sameer left Nandini as Gurudakshina to her father. He placed his pride and duty above his love for Nandini.

Vanraj on the other hand placed his wife's love for some other man over his love for her.

Vanraj is easily the better man.

Nandini's father chose correctly. 

And Nandini too chose correctly

Not all our decisions are correct and not all decisions of out parents are wrong.

We can blame the catalyst all we want but that does change the fact that outcome was good. 

If love marriages had been ideal there would have been no divorces in love marriages.

Ponymo pretty much took the words out of my mouth. All Vanraj managed to do was guilt trip Nandini by emotionally manipulating her. His lust towards her was evident throughout the movie, especially on their marriage night and in the train scene when he starting nuzzling and smooching her neck šŸ¤®. 

I just do not agree with your philosophy about the outcome being good, regardless of the means. Thatā€™s a consequentialist approach, by which even if the means may not be morally right, however if the outcome is good then itā€™s the right course of action. A persons life is not a gamble. Because Vanraj was a lawyer from an affluent family then her fathers choice to force a marriage based on that criteria is right? Are we stereotyping that all lawyers from rich families are good people? This is coming from an asshole of a father who turns his cheek and sends his other daughter back to an abusive relationship? 

Letā€™s play a consequentialist game here. Lying is considered bad right? So if I lie about something and the outcome means the other person becomes happy from my lie, does that mean lying in general is a good choice because it produces a better outcome? 

Parents are not God. They are human with their own weaknesses. A major issue is that some parents actually believe that they own their children and therefore would make decisions about their life regardless of their childā€™s consent. An adult should be able to choose their life partner because itā€™s A GIVEN RIGHT. I donā€™t care if itā€™s a shit decision and the guy is an absolute loser. As a parent you can give advice but you cannot and absolutely do not have the right to force them against their will. Let adults make their own mistakes. Itā€™s a learning experience. 

The love marriage and divorce example doesnā€™t really make sense. Love does not = perfect marriage. Life is totally different once you start living together. Arranged marriages have divorce rates too and loads of abuse. It can happen anywhere and anytime (with our without love)! Do you think everyone in an arranged marriage are happy? Could it be that some people are suffering but cannot voice it out because divorce is such a taboo concept in some societies and so they choose to suffer in silence because they have no familial support? 

You know what makes love marriage ideal? Its the ability to CHOOSE to marry someone YOU love. What an amazing concept it is to have the right to decide on your own life! šŸ‘

Edited by FingerFetish - 3 years ago
Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: FingerFetish

Letā€™s play a consequentialist game here. Lying is considered bad right? So if I lie about something and the outcome means the other person becomes happy from my lie, does that mean lying in general is a good choice because it produces a better outcome? 

Lying for greater good šŸ‘Œ šŸ‘ 
šŸ˜†

JodhaBai thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Love them both but I got into BW because of HDDSC so that will always be my choice 

Unconventional thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

HDDCS.The movie is gorgeous.Its a visual treat.Some random clips from the movie keep appearing on my insta these days n then I realise Ash looked and acted so well in this movie.

Her beautiful face alone makes HDDCS better than DDLJ.

DDLJ of course...As much as I like HDDCS, DDLJ is a class apart!

Also like some of the members have already mentioned, HDDCS leaves me sad and enraged every time I watch it- all thanks to Nandiniā€™s heartless and disgusting father....For those who are saying Sameer is lesser than Vanraj for choosing duty over love- it can be argued both ways....The fact is both of them are good men and there is no way to tell Nandini wouldnā€™t have been happy if she was allowed to choose her own life partner....Its a basic right that she was denied- and thatā€™s what the movie leaves me with!

On the other hand we have DDLJ where Raj  somewhat has chosen a similar path as Sameer of appeasing the parents against rebelling and eloping but there we have the father of the girl who is more caring and more accommodating of his girlā€™s choices and happiness...Which is what makes the movie an enjoyable affair overall!

Edited by cricketfan1 - 3 years ago
liberiangirl thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Love both movies.   But DDLJ gets my vote.  DDLJ is light, funny, heartfelt, romantic - everything!   Can watch it umpteen times (already have...lol!)

HDDCS though another gem - makes me feeling sad.   It's a little too heavy on emotions

Edited by liberiangirl - 3 years ago
Mages thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 6

DDLJ...SRKajol chemistry,songs and the love of raj-simran was so pure and innocent the film was romantic as well as light hearted...my vote goes for DDLJ a film i watch im my 8 years old in theater and still watching countless times

HDDCS...i am never a fan of SLB type of cinema and his films are sad and gloomy the only part that i like about the film is the songs its a masterpiece and salman-aish chemistry which was gorgeous and ajay's performance as vanraj

well i read the whole debate in this thread both vanraj-sameer loved nandini in their own ways both guys love was true for her the concept of the story is first love cannot be forgotten but one can still fall in love again

nandini did not fall out of love with sameer she can never do that as he is the man who taught her love and the first man who grew those feelings in her heart he will always remain the first man she loved and will always resides in her heart in a small corner but now her responsibilities are different she has grew to love her husband and she has to respect the feelings he has for her and her duty to go back to him as he taught her what is love and love means sacrifice i see another angle is sameer-nandini sacrifice their love for vanraj's golden heart,one can interpret it in many ways

SLB mess up in what message he wants to convey and HDDCS was inspired by a real life story Maitreyi Devi and Mircea...salman played mircea and aish played maitreyi devi

Anjalika01 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Tbh although I also hated the suhaag raat scene (where Vanraj just jumps on Nandini without so much as speaking to her), I don't think he was a bad guy at all, his love seemed shallow/selfish at first but he proved that he loved her selflessly when he took her to Italy so she could be with Sameer, prioritizing her love over his own and even his family's reputation...

BUT like ponymo and some others have said, Vanraj turning out to be a good person doesn't make what Nandini's father did right at all... the girl was literally trying to kill herself and he still forced her for marriage!! in fact if you look at it in another way it makes his actions even worse, as now a good man like Vanraj will have a wife who doesn't even like him and is madly in love with some other guy...

And the ending was really the worst part for so many reasons... 

How Nandini went and broke Sameer's heart right before the performance was horrible... so thoughtless of her.... like why couldn't she have waited till after he performed? Or better still, not come to meet him at all since she made up her mind to stay with Vanraj anyway?? Felt 

The message that you should choose the husband just because he's the husband and it's your duty is bad enough, but equally messed up is the idea that women owe men romantic or sexual relationships out of gratitude due to times they have helped you... 

Mages thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Anjalika01

Tbh although I also hated the suhaag raat scene (where Vanraj just jumps on Nandini without so much as speaking to her), I don't think he was a bad guy at all, his love seemed shallow/selfish at first but he proved that he loved her selflessly when he took her to Italy so she could be with Sameer, prioritizing her love over his own and even his family's reputation...

BUT like ponymo and some others have said, Vanraj turning out to be a good person doesn't make what Nandini's father did right at all... the girl was literally trying to kill herself and he still forced her for marriage!! in fact if you look at it in another way it makes his actions even worse, as now a good man like Vanraj will have a wife who doesn't even like him and is madly in love with some other guy...

And the ending was really the worst part for so many reasons... 

How Nandini went and broke Sameer's heart right before the performance was horrible... so thoughtless of her.... like why couldn't she have waited till after he performed? Or better still, not come to meet him at all since she made up her mind to stay with Vanraj anyway?? Felt 

The message that you should choose the husband just because he's the husband and it's your duty is bad enough, but equally messed up is the idea that women owe men romantic or sexual relationships out of gratitude due to times they have helped you... 

@bold...that was exactly my same question why did you come back lady just to break his heart it would be better you never came back to him.and just write in letters that you are married the pain would be less for him,the way she break his heart was like piercing sword in his heart w/o meeting her and knowing she is married would at least make him move on in life,coming face to face and rejects him in the most brutal way she has made him lost trust and faith in love,sameer fulfill his duties twice as man of words first her idiotic caste hunger father and second time nandini being a great guy understanding the true meaning if love he sacrifice his love for other first her father and than vanraj in all this sacrifices one thing nandini has done make him loose trust and faith in love the way he scolded his father was prove enough and the way he hugs his mother after nandini ran to vanraj his life became a standstill

knowing sameer waiting for nandini being loyal and faithful to her,he would never marry anyone even after she left him till someone like nandini breaks his wall which is impossible as for him nandini is his first and last,that was his love

she should not have comeback to him,she should tell vanraj thay she grew to love him and wants to stay with him and sameer will always reside in a small corner of her heart as the man who taught her love and her first love as a mark of respect and she doesn't want to go back

going back to sameer and rejecting him was the biggest mistake she should not have gone to him