Poll

The better film?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 3 years ago

This content was originally posted by: FingerFetish

I think the shooting scene was the major catalyst of shifting her perspective about him. I don’t think she would have chosen him if she wasn’t shot. Would she be eternally grateful and hold him in high esteem and respect for helping her reunite with Sameer? Yes. 

thats the problem . Just cos someone helped me and took care of me , that doesnt mean I should reciprocate his/her feelings. The ultimate message of the movie was

Parents know better and arranged marriage > Love marriage 😆

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Beautyful_Mess thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

This content was originally posted by: surajhere

The only part I found objectionable was suicide attempt.  To attempt suicide because you are 18-20 and 'think' that you are in love with somebody is a bit too much. 

I think her father chose correctly.

It is a movie, mirroring reality is not mandatory.

What Bollywood has used is universal. 

Ingrid Bergman leaves Humphrey Bogart because she comes to know her husband is still alive even though she is deeply in love with Rick Blaine in Casablanca. Of course this happens after marriage. In HDDCS it happens before marriage.

Oh my god, do you want finger to actually hunt you down or something. Haven’t you take anything out of her posts. She hates the movie because of the father and you’re saying he’s right?? This conversation should be interesting. Lol

P.S I’m joking. 

JayaBachan thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: 2RsFan

thats the problem . Just cos someone helped me and took care of me , that doesnt mean I should reciprocate his/her feelings. The ultimate message of the movie was

What a pathetic message to reinforce parental controlling behaviours 😆

I rewatched the final scene between Nandini and Sameer. She mentions that Vanraj taught her how to nibana love, which is to sacrifice and now she has to perform her farz and return to her husband. This can also be interpreted that Nandini is going to perform her duty towards the love her husband has for her, by now sacrificing her love for Sameer - just like Vanraj did for Nandini. 

In conclusion, she grew to love Vanraj as a companion but it’s not the passionate kind of love that she felt for Sameer. 

Overall, I effing hate this movie 🤣

Edited by FingerFetish - 3 years ago
JayaBachan thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Beautyful_Mess

Oh my god, do you want finger to actually hunt you down or something. Haven’t you take anything out of her posts. She hates the movie because of the father and you’re saying he’s right?? This conversation should be interesting. Lol

P.S I’m joking. 

My finger was twitching ..... towards something painful and sinister 😈

Just kidding! 😆

ponymo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

I agree, I hated Nandini's father. He was extremely toxic and disgusting! He not only forced Nandini to get married, remember what he did to his other daughter? It was even worse. She was a victim of domestic abuse. But he forced her to go back to her abusive husband for the sake of maan, maryada and parampara or whatever crap that was. I don't remember what happened eventually though - like she attempted suicide or tried to elope with her lover like she was committing a crime.

Shameless man. So much for all his sanskariness, he couldn't be a empathetic to his own daughters' suffering, what good is he?

I would also blame Vanraj's character. Did he even ask for Nandini's consent? Did he check with her whether she liked him back? He saw her dancing and fell for her, and wanted his parents to get her married to him. Like a starstruck boy in a candystore or a toy store. She was just a pretty little thing that aroused him. And he wanted to have sex with her even before they spoke a word to each other. No respect.

However, on the other hand, we have to remember this movie was made in the 90s when it was still common for arranged marriages to happen without couples talking much until they got married. Now things have started to change because the couple meet a few times to ensure there is compatibility before they get married. So I guess for the times it was made, it was pretty accurate.

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

This content was originally posted by: ponymo

I would also blame Vanraj's character. Did he even ask for Nandini's consent? Did he check with her whether she liked him back? He saw her dancing and fell for her, and wanted his parents to get her married to him. Like a starstruck boy in a candystore or a toy store. She was just a pretty little thing that aroused him. And he wanted to have sex with her even before they spoke a word to each other. No respect.

Vanraj was a  bit creepy. I mean he had an outburst cos she wasnt letting him touch her but not why she was so upset 🤪 Also the scene where Nandini pulls her saree so he can have her😵  Such crap would have been shredded to pieces if released today

JayaBachan thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: ponymo

I agree, I hated Nandini's father. He was extremely toxic and disgusting! He not only forced Nandini to get married, remember what he did to his other daughter? It was even worse. She was a victim of domestic abuse. But he forced her to go back to her abusive husband for the sake of maan, maryada and parampara or whatever crap that was. I don't remember what happened eventually though - like she attempted suicide or tried to elope with her lover like she was committing a crime.

Shameless man. So much for all his sanskariness, he couldn't be a empathetic to his own daughters' suffering, what good is he?

However, on the other hand, we have to remember this movie was made in the 90s when it was still common for arranged marriages to happen without couples talking much until they got married. Now things have started to change because the couple meet a few times to ensure there is compatibility before they get married. So I guess for the times it was made, it was pretty accurate.

Where is the love button!? Their marriage night scene still makes my skin crawl. I actually read an article that really hit the nail for me in terms of showing a different perspective of Vanraj. I did not consider him a saint when I first watched the movie and now I definitely cannot unsee this perception 

JayaBachan thumbnail

Vanraj was a  bit creepy. I mean he had an outburst cos she wasnt letting him touch her but not why she was so upset 🤪 Also the scene where Nandini pulls her saree so he can have her😵  Such crap would have been shredded to pieces if released today

When he tried to drag her out of the house despite her pleading to him then dumping her in the car so aggressively. How romantic 

Edited by FingerFetish - 3 years ago
surajhere thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: FingerFetish

Bro it’s not happening 😆. I don’t care if Vanraj ended up being the next messiah. The concept of the movie sucked because they minimised the fathers crime by making Vanraj good. 

Just because the outcome turned out good doesn’t eliminate that the catalyst was less evil. 

Sameer left Nandini as Gurudakshina to her father. He placed his pride and duty above his love for Nandini.

Vanraj on the other hand placed his wife's love for some other man over his love for her.

Vanraj is easily the better man.

Nandini's father chose correctly. 

And Nandini too chose correctly

Not all our decisions are correct and not all decisions of out parents are wrong.

We can blame the catalyst all we want but that does change the fact that outcome was good. 

If love marriages had been ideal there would have been no divorces in love marriages.

Edited by surajhere - 3 years ago
surajhere thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

You are right, you might not and maybe I may not too. But just because somebody does , it does not mean they are wrong.