DDLJ or Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam - Page 3

Poll

The better film?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
Maroonporsche thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

This content was originally posted by: FingerFetish

Let’s be real here. The whole plot line was created to uphold the holy-concept of marriage. This theory has been done to DEATH in Bollywood. Girl loves boy. Boy loves girl. Family screams PAAP at the thought of girl and boy doing dirty sinful deed of falling in love. So what is the solution? Marry her off to someone else! Oh but my favourite is when boy dies, girl is devastated. Girl is compelled to marry other boy. True lover boy returns from the dead - oh he never died but was in coma fighting against life and death to return to his now married beloved. In conclusion lover boy must die ONCE again for real this time cos girl is now married and has to end up with her husband (who she has now grown to love). 

OMG that’s quite the imagination 😂 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

JayaBachan thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Maroonporsche

OMG that’s quite the imagination 😂 

I thank Bollywood for my imagination 😆

Maroonporsche thumbnail

I thank Bollywood for my imagination 😆

You think Sameer and Nandini should’ve been together HEA ? 

JayaBachan thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Rhimjhimsawan

Lmao! Main prem ki dewaani hoon! Nothing can be that bad 😆

I agree with everything you said. But I don't think Aish left Salman at the end for the sanctity of marriage. She left him because she no longer loved him so she sacrificed nothing. That's the first thing Salman notices that the love that was there for him in her eyes is gone. She would've still gone with Salman had she not fallen in love with Ajay. She talks about how her husband taught her to fulfill the responsibilities of love which is something Salman's character in the movie didn't do at all. 

Using MPKH as a reference point for comparison is always intended to portray just how much I hate HDDCS 😆

My whole issue is that the foundation of her love was wrong to begin with. I’m not so much angry at the character itself but downright pissed at Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s vision that he so desperately tried to force down my throat. Of course her husband is going to be the epitome of goodness and sacrifice. Every husband that the heroine marries after because of ‘foreseen’ circumstances (she is separated from first love due to social hierarchy, fued between families, love is a sin so marry someone your daddy chooses, first love is killed but will come back to life anyway) ends up being a really bloody top notch guy. Surely heroine now cannot help but love and accept her husband because cmon audience, he is a really good guy 👍🏼

Nandini’s acceptance of Vanraj minimises her fathers abhorrent selfishness and somehow makes everything okay because the outcome turned out good. Sameer’s weakness was accepting her fathers decision without a fight because her cheap father counted all the favours his done for Sameer and threw it in his face. Yes I’m angry at his character for being written as being so weak (but then am I really that surprised?).

Let’s just assume that Nandini and Sameer was together from the get go but their love never reached the level of maturity that was experienced with Vanraj. At the very least, I could still console myself that SHE had the opportunity to choose who she wanted to marry. Her mistakes would be her own and how beautiful is that notion? As a human being, we have the right to choose and even if it’s wrong, it was our mistake to begin with. Nandini would never have to live her life reflecting on the  ‘what if’ question. *sigh* but no, Nandini was deprived of that human right by her father, and so I could never celebrate this movie regardless of the apparent happy ending.  

I hope you get where my anger stems from 😆

Edited by FingerFetish - 3 years ago
JayaBachan thumbnail

You think Sameer and Nandini should’ve been together HEA ? 

I think Nandini should have been given the right to marry whomever she chose too at the very start. I lost respect for the movie, the moment her father married her off. Showing how desperately depressed she was to the point of inflicting self harm and yet the father did not even bat an eyelash? Filth. 

Edited by FingerFetish - 3 years ago
Maroonporsche thumbnail

I think Nandini should have been given the right to marry whomever she chose too at the very start. I lost respect for the movie, the moment her father married her off. Showing how desperately depressed she was to the point of inflicting self harm and yet the father did not even bat an eyelash? Filth. 

Wow in hindsight a lot of these classic Bollywood films are problematic 

I guess choice is something that doesn’t really exist 😂 

In my mind Sameer is too cool a guy to be tied down that early on. 😆 He seems like a womanizer type 

JayaBachan thumbnail

Wow in hindsight a lot of these classic Bollywood films are problematic 

I guess choice is something that doesn’t really exist 😂 

In my mind Sameer is too cool a guy to be tied down that early on. 😆 He seems like a womanizer type 

But to answer your previous question - yes I wanted Nandini and Sameer to reunite. For once I wanted BW to step out of the comforts of stereotypes and adhering to social norms and just let it be shown that not all forced marriages always have the same outcome (I.e. woman grows to love her husband). 

Choice hardly exists which is why I prefer DDLJ. The ending of that movie brings JOY to my soul because for a change you see a father actually realise that his daughters happiness is much more important than his own ego. 

Nah I just felt bad for Salman. He didn’t have a big family or large support system. He was just left alone and it sucked. I’m a sucker for having your first love because I HATE the what if question. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Nah I just felt bad for Salman. He didn’t have a big family or large support system. He was just left alone and it sucked. I’m a sucker for having your first love because I HATE the what if question. 

Really your strong believer in first love as only love ?

what if ya gotta see what else was out there 😂 

JayaBachan thumbnail

Really your strong believer in first love as only love ?

what if ya gotta see what else was out there 😂 

No I don’t believe in first love as only love 😆 - I only like that notion when the girl/guy isn’t being forced to marry someone else. If they grew out of love from circumstances that they chose to be in or live with, then by all means paint the sky red with your pursuit of another love.

But I cannot  stomach the idea of love being forced out of you because of circumstances chosen by someone else. 

surajhere thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Let’s be real here. The whole plot line was created to uphold the holy-concept of marriage. This theory has been done to DEATH in Bollywood. Girl loves boy. Boy loves girl. Family screams PAAP at the thought of girl and boy doing dirty sinful deed of falling in love. So what is the solution? Marry her off to someone else! Oh but my favourite is when boy dies, girl is devastated. Girl is compelled to marry other boy. True lover boy returns from the dead - oh he never died but was in coma fighting against life and death to return to his now married beloved. In conclusion lover boy must die ONCE again for real this time cos girl is now married and has to end up with her husband (who she has now grown to love). 

Nandini would have never fallen in love with Vanraj had she not been forced into the marriage. She was depressed and slit her wrist for Sameer. Yet her father STILL forced her to marry 🙄.  By reuniting her with Vanraj at the end, her fathers crime became minimised because ultimately she was taught how to love. So just because she had a happy ending, suddenly it becomes okay that her father sacrificed her happiness to stroke his own pathetic ego? Nah not in my books. I’ll never accept or celebrate Nandini’s love for her husband because the foundation of it was wrong and Sanjay Leela Bhansali wanted to portray an immature girl transforming into a woman when she realises the takkat of sindoooooor. 

😆 
Sorry buddy, I really passionately hate this movie (which is probably very obvious now) and no perspective is going to ease the rage and injustice I feel 😔

There are some factual errors in your response.

Nandini's father does not get Nandini married off because she falls in love with Sameer.

Nandini is already to be married to Vanraj .

Vanraj did not teach Nandini to fall in love, it was Sameer who taught Nandini that. Vanraj taught her how to love somebody . That is what the character of Nandini said.

The premise of the story was that you can fall in love more than once. SLB just couched it in the sanctity of marriage, nothing else. Marriage was used as a tool to keep Nandini away from Sameer and in his absence Vanraj won her over by his love for her. 

Both Sameer's and Vanraj's characters were well developed and believed in their duties more than their rights. That is why Sameer left Nandini and that is why Vanraj decided to take Nandini to Sameer when he learns she is in love with Sameer.

It was Nandini's choice , she chose Vanraj .

It is ok if you hate a film. I am not trying to convince you that HDDCS is a great movie or something.