Poll Question :

The better film?

Poll Choice
DDLJ
Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam
Login To Vote
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by Anjalika01

The thing is, Sameer was portrayed as a perfect guy too, with not a trace of grey! It was made very clear that he truly loved Nandini as well.

The story could have been a lot more respectable if they showed some major flaws in Sameer’s character...

Like think of that film Dhadkan where Anjali loves Dev, but after meeting him her Dad sees that he’s a terrible person, so doesn’t give his consent for the marriage. Anjali accept her father’s decision then itself, and agrees to marry the guy chosen by him (no suicide attempts, etc.)

HDDCS is a much superior film to Dhadkan in most ways, but I feel this was a much healthier portrayal of a similar concept... 

If parents are able to convince their children of their choice and the children agree without being forced (like Anjali), then that is great... but if it becomes necessary to force, threaten, beat etc, or if the child is getting to a point of wanting to run away or even harm themselves....any decent parent would stop right there. 

Plus in Dhadkan Anjali’s Dad’s rejection of Dev was due to his bad personality, not just due to caste/status...

If we were shown that Sameer was flawed, and Nandini accepted her father’s decision in the begining itself without the suicide attempt, etc, then the story wouldn’t be so objectionable imo 🤷🏽‍♀️

Phir story kya banti..... If she agrees for the marriage then why would vanraj take her to Italy to meet Sameer ?

Originally posted by cricketfan1

DDLJ of course...As much as I like HDDCS, DDLJ is a class apart!

Also like some of the members have already mentioned, HDDCS leaves me sad and enraged every time I watch it- all thanks to Nandini’s heartless and disgusting father....For those who are saying Sameer is lesser than Vanraj for choosing duty over love- it can be argued both ways....The fact is both of them are good men and there is no way to tell Nandini wouldn’t have been happy if she was allowed to choose her own life partner....Its a basic right that she was denied- and that’s what the movie leaves me with!

On the other hand we have DDLJ where Raj  somewhat has chosen a similar path as Sameer of appeasing the parents against rebelling and eloping but there we have the father of the girl who is more caring and more accommodating of his girl’s choices and happiness...Which is what makes the movie an enjoyable affair overall!

But Raj seems better cause the other guy was a jerk....and Simran's father has a prejudice against UK born Indians that they are irresponsible.....so Raj staying with them and winning him over, at the same time the other guy showing his jerk side worked in the favor of their love story....

In HDDCS, her father had prejudices about the caste, which Sameer cant change at all...... other then that, he didnt stay around to prove himself a better suitor for her......

i think the overall point of both films were very different........where DDLJ showed that love triumphs the point of HDDCS was that love can happen in the most unpredictable way.....where what Vanraj did was the most extraordinary thing anyone can do for their wives.........

Also that first half is kinda based on a real story......so that's there.......

check the link below :

The love story happened in early 1930's in Bengal between a remarkably smart and sweet 16 year old girl named 'Maitreyi Devi' and a young Romanian writer and philosopher named Mircea Eliade. He came to study Philosophy with Maitreiyi's dad Surendranath Dasgupta, a renowned philosopher himself. These two young people fell deeply in love and carried on their secret affair behind the back of everyone. When found out, Eliade was thrown out of Devi's home. He went back to Europe and wrote a gut wrenching, semi-erotic love story named 'Maitreyi' or 'La Nuit Bengali' in French, a very thinly veiled account of their romance in 1933.

https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainmenttags/aish/hum-dil-de-chuke-sanam-real-life-reel-life

on topic : I like HDDCS more only cause it had less of the melodrama in my opinion.......... actually, i am all for pride for India, but DDLJ's mera desh, mera pind, pind di khushboo, is little OTT for me....

Originally posted by anjs

Phir story kya banti..... If she agrees for the marriage then why would vanraj take her to Italy to meet Sameer ?

Well the story is in the hands of the writer! It could have been anything the writer wanted it to be....it’s up to them how they frame the story to give out the message they want it to....

Imo it wasn’t good to show Nandini’s dad rejecting sameer purely because of race/caste... then forcing her to marry another guy despite her trying to KILL herself...then ending the story with Nandini staying with the guy she was forced to marry (despite poor Sameer never doing anything wrong)...

It not only seemed unnecessarily unfair (think of that ending scene that so many people on here besides me also hated) but also sent out some pretty regressive messages like:

. It’s ok for parents to refuse to accept children’s relationship just because of caste/race

. It’s ok for parents to do forced marriage for their children if they believe at that time that it’s for their good

. And finally that marriage goes above love even if it was a forced marriage and your relationship with the guy you love existed long before you even met the guy you married...

On the other hand DDLJ had a refreshing progressive message that parents should let children choose their own life partner, and a person’s good character should be seen before caste, background, etc. .... at the same time the film also stayed true to family values showing that it’s also the children’s responsibility to convince their parents rather than just run away or something...

I found DDLJ to be a way more progressive and better film... the only place where HDDCS really wins is the aesthetics!

Originally posted by ponymo

I would also blame Vanraj's character. Did he even ask for Nandini's consent? Did he check with her whether she liked him back? He saw her dancing and fell for her, and wanted his parents to get her married to him. Like a starstruck boy in a candystore or a toy store. She was just a pretty little thing that aroused him. And he wanted to have sex with her even before they spoke a word to each other. No respect.

That is the thing about arranged marriages .. below average looking men punching above their weight because their mum/family think they can get any rishta because of male privilege in a patriarchal society... he had no confidence to go woo her on his own so went crying to his mum asking for a new toy...