Debate Mansion

Will Chinese in India be bullied by Indians after corona ends?

OriginalJuhi_04 thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 4 years ago

Will Chinese in India be bullied by Indians after corona ends? As we know there are many Chinese people in India as it's permanent residents. Should we feel bad if they get bullied due to the mistakes done by their native country? Also due to them our own North-east people can get bullied as they look like them. One a guy spat gutkha at a Manipuri girl calling her corona. Meiyang Chang who is native of China but always lived in India is called corona by some people. Now will Indians trust it's Chinese residents? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: CovidKumar

Racism incidents have already started in many countries. India is actually pretty tolerant in comparison.

Where it started? 

alina.b thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/asian-americans-describe-gut-punch-of-racist-attacks-during-coronavirus-pandemic

There have been a couple of incidents of racism even attacks in the US. I'm seeing a lot of racist comments of SM too. This is absolutely unacceptable. I understand holding the Chinese Government responsible for not informing the rest of the world about the virus on time and not preventing spread but this does not give anyone the right to harass Chinese people. 

Many Americans are showing acts of racism towards Chinese-Americans which does not make any sense as they were here when the pandemic started and are not responsible for the spread of the virus. In fact, the virus came to the US from Europe not China (https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/04/24/cuomo_the_coronavirus_that_came_to_new_york_did_not_come_from_china_it_came_from_europe.html) but people just need an excuse to be racist and justify their actions.

I don't really know much about the situation in India. I have heard of Northeast Indians being harassed because ignorant people assumed them to be "Chinese". Unfortunately, they probably will be negatively affected by this because of people's narrow mindset. More than the virus, fear and ignorance is more dangerous. Also, saying that "Oh, it's not as bad here as it is in other places" isn't a good comparison and doesn't lessen the seriousness of the issue.

Edited by alina.b - 3 years ago

Originally posted by: alina.b

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/asian-americans-describe-gut-punch-of-racist-attacks-during-coronavirus-pandemic

There have been a couple of incidents of racism even attacks in the US. I'm seeing a lot of racist comments of SM too. This is absolutely unacceptable. I understand holding the Chinese Government responsible for not informing the rest of the world about the virus on time and not preventing spread but this does not give anyone the right to harass Chinese people. 

Many Americans are showing acts of racism towards Chinese-Americans which does not make any sense as they were here when the pandemic started and are not responsible for the spread of the virus. In fact, the virus came to the US from Europe not China (https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/04/24/cuomo_the_coronavirus_that_came_to_new_york_did_not_come_from_china_it_came_from_europe.html) but people just need an excuse to be racist and justify their actions.

I don't really know much about the situation in India. I have heard of Northeast Indians being harassed because ignorant people assumed them to be "Chinese". Unfortunately, they probably will be negatively affected by this because of people's narrow mindset. More than the virus, fear and ignorance is more dangerous. Also, saying that "Oh, it's not as bad here as it is in other places" isn't a good comparison and doesn't lessen the seriousness of the issue.

I hope we don't see Chinese harassed in India die to this. We have lots of them in India. But they should also don't act apologists for their native country's misdeeds and secretly hate India. Its so disheartening that North-east people are harassed in other states of country and even charged more for different things just because they look like Chinese, Japanese and Korean.

KachraSeth thumbnail

There was a news a few days ago...about Meiyang Chang being bullied by some bikers and was also called Coronavirus by them. Hope people like them get some brains!