Panchali......- an enigma

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 3 years ago

Can we take a moment and appreciate this strong willed level headed intelligent woman who has been held in high regards by most of characters of the great epic

And who is my personal inspiration . 

Somebody who single handedly maintained the finance of her kingdom and literally ran the show for most important.

Whose strong hold on politics as well as sharp mind and intelligence can be perceived from the way she managed to salvage the situation in the dice hall .Not only did she saved herself but also managed to get her freed husband and get all their wealth back 

Whose immense sense of justice can be seen in her later conversation with Govind and yudhishtra 

The person who was the first one to understand that the main problem is in the society itself who let the things reach to the place it did in the dice hall .only person who understood that was the time to change.   It was she who convinced/made. Govind see that too.  

Karmanyevadhikarasthe according to Panchali

It is seen, possessions are obtained from chance, as also from destiny Something being from destiny and something from chance, something is obtained by exertion. In the acquisition of his objects, there is no fourth cause in the case of man. Thus say those that are acquainted with truth and skilled in knowledge. If, however, God himself were not the giver of good and bad fruits, then amongst creatures there would not be any that was miserable. If the effect of former acts be a myth, then all purposes for which man would work should be successful. They, therefore, that regard the three alone (mentioned above) as the doors of all success and failure in the world, (without regarding the acts of former life), are dull and inert like the body itself. For all this, however, a person should act. This is the conclusion of Manu himself. The person that doth not act, certainly succumbeth, O Yudhishthira. The man of action in this world generally meeteth with success. The idle, however, never achieveth success. If success, becometh impossible, then should one seek to remove the difficulties that bar his way to success. And, O king, if a person worketh (hard), his debt (to the gods) is cancelled (whether he achieveth success or not). The person that is idle and lieth at his length, is overcome by adversity; while he that is active and skillful is sure to reap success and enjoy prosperity. Intelligent persons engaged in acts with confidence in themselves regard all who are diffident as doubting and unsuccessful. The confident and faithful, however, are regarded by them as successful. And this moment misery hath overtaken us. If, however, thou betakest to action, that misery will certainly be removed. If thou meetest failure, then that will furnish a proof unto thee and Vrikodara and Vivatsu and the twins (that ye are unable to snatch the kingdom from the foe). The acts of others, it is seen, are crowned with success. It is probable that ours also will be successful. How can one know beforehand what the consequence will be? Having exerted thyself thou wilt know what the fruit of thy exertion will be. The tiller tilleth with the plough the soil and soweth the seeds thereon. He then sitteth silent, for the clouds (after that) are the cause that would help the seeds to grow into plants. If however, the clouds favour him not, the tiller is absolved from all blame. He sayeth unto himself, 'What others do, I have done. If, notwithstanding this, I meet with failure, no blame can attach to me.' Thinking so, he containeth himself and never indulgeth in self-reproach. O Bharata, no one should despair saying, 'Oh, I am acting, yet success is not mine! For there are two other causes, besides exertion, towards success. Whether there be success or failure, there should be no despair, for success in acts dependeth upon the union; of many circumstances. If one important element is wanting, success doth not become commensurate, or doth not come at all. If however, no exertion is made, there can be no success. Nor is there anything to applaud in the absence of all exertion.

It is sad that people today fail to see her true nature instead reduce her to a blood thirsty woman

Edited by Poorabhforever - 3 years ago

I find it ironic that the eons have named her after her titles i.e. Panchali (Princess of Panchala) & more so Draupadi (daughter of Drupada) when her actual name is Krishnaa. 

Probably not to confuse with the more famous Shri Krishna. But at one of the critical junctures, i.e. during the Cheerharan, the epic reverts to her original name Krishnaa. Eerily as if Shri Krishna himself is suffering her agony/humiliation along with her

Even as Dussasana chases her and catches her hair, she is called "queen":

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m02/m02066.htm

At these words, Draupadi, rising up in great affliction, rubbed her pale face with her hands, and distressed she ran to the place where the ladies of Dhritarashtra's household were. At this, Dussasana roaring in anger, ran after her and seized the queen by her locks, so long and blue and wavy. Alas! those locks that had been sprinkled with water sanctified with mantras in the great Rajasuya sacrifice, were now forcibly seized by the son of Dhritarashtra disregarding the prowess of the Pandavas. And Dussasana dragging Krishna of long long locks unto the presence of the assembly--as if she were helpless though having powerful protectors--and pulling at her, made her tremble like the banana plant in a storm. And dragged by him, with body bent, she faintly cried--'Wretch! it ill behoveth thee to take me before the assembly. My season hath come, and I am now clad in one piece of attire. But Dussasana dragging Draupadi forcibly by her black locks while she was praying piteously unto Krishna and Vishnu who were Narayana and Nara (on earth), said unto her--'Whether thy season hath come or not, whether thou art attired in one piece of cloth or entirely naked, when thou hast been won at dice and made our slave, thou art to live amongst our serving-women as thou pleasest

Draupadi  is role model and idol to me

my most fav in mahabharat what a epitome of strong women she is...salute to her from my deepest heart🙏🏼she is worship in my country and has a temple for her