Mythological Masti

Satyabhama & Other Women

davis56 thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

So I have been reading a lot about Mahabharat and lord Krishna's life since a few years and the one thing I have been seeing is the hate and disrespect that the women in his life get, especially his wife satyabhama. People label her as arrogant, egoistic etc and even accuse her of torturing her husband and her co-wives. Even the serials portray her as some kind of a vamp. So if she was a woman of such a horrible character then why would lord Krishna marry her and fulfill almost her every wish. Most of the disrespect comes because of the tulabharam incident and they are so many people who claim to know so much about this incident and some blogs twist the story according to their wish. So can at least one from this highly knowledgeable people  come forward and give me the authentication of this incident and prove that this is not merely a folk tale made up by people. You can't cause this incident is nowhere mentioned in the texts like srimad bhagavadam, Harivamsa etc. And as if satyabhama wasn't enough people have even started disrespecting rukmini because of a certain serial going on and have this theory at play that lord Krishna only agreed to marry her because she threatened to kill herself. And the people who don't disrespect her, keep pitying her as if she was a weak woman who was not loved by her husband and tortured by her co- wife. Why would she,the patrani, the first queen, so loved by her husband and her co-wives start requiring your pity. The only reason the other wives don't get disrespect is because people forget about them. People have not even left subhadra and draupadi, they pit them against each other and disrespect the former to glorify the latter or vice versa. For your kind information these women were strong, great and wise, they stood by each other in difficult times and in no way require your sympathy, glorification or disrespect. We are not God so we do have favourites but that doesn't mean you disrespect the one who isn't your favourite. Almost all of these are even forms of goddesses whom you pray. So stop with the disrespect we live in the 21st century for god's sake. Learn to appreciate each and every woman and start respecting them .

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

The story of Tulabharanam is I believe a part of an elaborate set of Manbhajan folklores where everybody's pride gets broken, right from Bhama, Rukmini, Hanuman, Balaram, Arjun, and even Krishna! 😳

I guess what is intended is the moral and it is important for us to learn to not judge a character by a single incident. ❤️

davis56 thumbnail

I am not cutting out the entire possibility of tulabharam , I am just telling how people use that as an excuse to disrespect bhama. People disrespecting satyabhama is not new. But nowadays I am not only seeing disrespect towards bhama but also rukmini and draupadi. Imagine someone disrespecting rukmini, she was such a sweet and brave woman, they keep telling how she was a burden on Krishna. People have even started disrespecting draupadi as if a lifetime of suffering wasn't enough for her. It's honestly disheartening.

Preethi1 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: proteeti

The story of Tulabharanam is I believe a part of an elaborate set of Manbhajan folklores where everybody's pride gets broken, right from Bhama, Rukmini, Hanuman, Balaram, Arjun, and even Krishna! 😳

I guess what is intended is the moral and it is important for us to learn to not judge a character by a single incident. ❤️

Hi, Ive been following your posts. you give lot of information about mythological stories. can you please suggest some good books or sites to refer to regarding the context? i wish to know more about Mahabharata. plus what is this Tulabharam story?

wayward thumbnail
Originally posted by: Preethi1

Hi, Ive been following your posts. you give lot of information about mythological stories. can you please suggest some good books or sites to refer to regarding the context? i wish to know more about Mahabharata. plus what is this Tulabharam story?

You can check out some of the translations of the scriptures available online:

Mahabharata: https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/maha/

Srimad Bhagavatham: https://vedabase.io/en/library/sb/

Ramayana: https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rama/index.htm

They are all based on scholarly researches, and yet you might find one version different from the other.

The tulabharam story is a part of a larger story. I had posted it somewhere else, I'm quoting it back here. 😳 This part is not entirely in Srimad Bhagavatham (The parijata and the Narakasura killings are ther, tulabharam is just a folklore I believe) 😳

Parijata flower is totally correct and in the right place. India s wife Sachi sent Krishna one flower through Narada for his marriage gift. Krishna gave it to Ruku. Bhama wanted too so Krishna himself went up to heaven.

There he found everything messed up and Sachi crying because Naraka looted her divine earrings right off her ears and also assulted her. Krishna promises to get it back. And Bhama accompanies him blah blah. After killin Naraka when he comes back Bhama is blessed by Sachi with eternal youth and one flower. 

Bhama is now proud and wants the whole parijata tree. So Krishna fights Indra. When they fought for a long time Indra's mother Aditi came between them can reminded Krisuna that in a prev avatara as Vamana he was Vasavanuja, Indra s younger brother ans her son so they stop fighting and Indra gives them the tree.

Bhama plants it in her garden but due to her arrogance the tree bends over and sheds flowers alternatingly in Ruku and Jambi's gardens.

She is now angry so she calls Narada (who by this time has become her rattu popat and is frustrated) and asks him what to do. He tricks her into donating Krishna's equivalent weight in gold and jewels to a worthy brahman (read Narada). She agrees but no matter how much she tries she cannot match up and Krishna on the scales is always heavier. Shw ends up putting all pf Dwarika s wealth, her jewellery, all wives' jewellery and even all of Krishna's jewellery and property and money and it stoll doesnt matvh up.

Then she finally gives up her pride and ego and Ruku takes over. She removes everythinh from the scales and puts only one tulasi leaf on it. And voila it becomes equal. So Narada leaves with this leaf and everyone lives happily ever after till Pradyumna is born.

This is the whole Satyabhama Maanbhanjan track. 

wayward thumbnail

Originally posted by: davis56

I am not cutting out the entire possibility of tulabharam , I am just telling how people use that as an excuse to disrespect bhama. People disrespecting satyabhama is not new. But nowadays I am not only seeing disrespect towards bhama but also rukmini and draupadi. Imagine someone disrespecting rukmini, she was such a sweet and brave woman, they keep telling how she was a burden on Krishna. People have even started disrespecting draupadi as if a lifetime of suffering wasn't enough for her. It's honestly disheartening.

Yes, the disrespect of characters is not right. In India Forums however you'll find people more sympathetic and respectful towards all characters. 😊

Preethi1 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

You can check out some of the translations of the scriptures available online:

Mahabharata: https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/maha/

Srimad Bhagavatham: https://vedabase.io/en/library/sb/

Ramayana: https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rama/index.htm

They are all based on scholarly researches, and yet you might find one version different from the other.

The tulabharam story is a part of a larger story. I had posted it somewhere else, I'm quoting it back here. 😳 This part is not entirely in Srimad Bhagavatham (The parijata and the Narakasura killings are ther, tulabharam is just a folklore I believe) 😳

Thank you so much .. This was informative. ill definitely read the texts in the link.

SriMaatangi thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

I agree with you. 

I have never believed the Tulabharam happened- it hasn't been sanctioned anywhere as well. Even by Acharyas or Bhagavan the way Ramachartimanas got the sanction of Bhagavan Shiva. 

Pro- I can relate to the bigger aspect of it, but I can NEVER accept Satyabhama was arrogant. Even if there was a bigger aspect to it, I can explain that bigger aspect without any arrogance on Satyabhama's part. 

If you read Harivamsa, the Parijata Leela specifically, with the eyes of a Krishna lover even more so, you can easily spot the Vakpati-Vakdevi Leela that Krishna and Satyabhama portray there- they are Leeladhara and Leeladhaarini.

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: davis56

So I have been reading a lot about Mahabharat and lord Krishna's life since a few years and the one thing I have been seeing is the hate and disrespect that the women in his life get, especially his wife satyabhama. People label her as arrogant, egoistic etc and even accuse her of torturing her husband and her co-wives. Even the serials portray her as some kind of a vamp. So if she was a woman of such a horrible character then why would lord Krishna marry her and fulfill almost her every wish. Most of the disrespect comes because of the tulabharam incident and they are so many people who claim to know so much about this incident and some blogs twist the story according to their wish. So can at least one from this highly knowledgeable people  come forward and give me the authentication of this incident and prove that this is not merely a folk tale made up by people. You can't cause this incident is nowhere mentioned in the texts like srimad bhagavadam, Harivamsa etc. And as if satyabhama wasn't enough people have even started disrespecting rukmini because of a certain serial going on and have this theory at play that lord Krishna only agreed to marry her because she threatened to kill herself. And the people who don't disrespect her, keep pitying her as if she was a weak woman who was not loved by her husband and tortured by her co- wife. Why would she,the patrani, the first queen, so loved by her husband and her co-wives start requiring your pity. The only reason the other wives don't get disrespect is because people forget about them. People have not even left subhadra and draupadi, they pit them against each other and disrespect the former to glorify the latter or vice versa. For your kind information these women were strong, great and wise, they stood by each other in difficult times and in no way require your sympathy, glorification or disrespect. We are not God so we do have favourites but that doesn't mean you disrespect the one who isn't your favourite. Almost all of these are even forms of goddesses whom you pray. So stop with the disrespect we live in the 21st century for god's sake. Learn to appreciate each and every woman and start respecting them .

I agree w/ your first point.  Satyabhama definitely had something positive about her, or else, Krishna could have just asked Satyajit to give her in marriage to one of the suitors he had promised earlier - Akrura, Satadhandwa or Kritavarma.  Instead, not only did Krishna marry her, but by some accounts, she seems to have been his favorite wife.  Not sure whether this was before or after her discussions w/ Draupadi in the forest.

But the thing that I don't get is the tendency of current serial makers to bismirch other positive people in the story.  In Krishna's case, it may be glorifying Rukmini alone, and making the other 7 look like vamps.  In Ram Siya ka Luv Kush, they made vamps/villains out of Kush & Luv's cousins, even though they were brought up in Ayodhya w/ the same values that Rama and his brothers were brought up w/.  In the ⭐️+ Mahabharat, they made it a point to make a vamp out of Madri for absolutely no reason.  In Devo ka Dev Mahadev, they needlessly made Kartikeya a quasi-negative character wrt Ganesh.  Every ancient family, according to them, have to fit their saas-bahu template.

In Krishna avatar, he made it a point to be available for every woman who wanted him - down to Narakasura's 16,100 captives.  He could have been satisfied w/ Rukmini, but he accepted the hand of every woman who was offered to him, be it by her father (Jambavati, Satyabhama, Satya), herself (Bhadra, Mitravindya) or swayamvar contests (Lakshmanaa).  Each of them had 10 sons, so even if Krishna was too busy, they had enough to have their hands full.

As for Rukmini, she did threaten to kill herself, not if Krishna didn't marry her, but rather, if she was forced to marry Sishupala.  Rukmi wanted that alliance to win Jarasandha's favor, even though Bheeshmaka was opposed to it.  In addition to Rukmini's wishes, there was also the fact that Vidharba, which was hitherto a vassal of Jarasandha, would be a pledged ally of Dwarka as a result of their princess being a Yadava kulvadhu.  Not that it worked in the case of Avantika.

The one positive thing that I'd say about these depictions is that it emphasizes the importance of monogamous relationships, particularly holding up Rama-Sita as an example

davis56 thumbnail

^^ The Indian TV serials are always to make a vamp of some character and it is fine if it's a saas bahu serial but it's honestly disheartening to see them diminish characters of our rich Indian mythology. I normally would have not made a post like this but there are people out there who genuinely know nothing about the mythology and learn about it from this TV shows. The recent show Radha Krishna has taken the Indian TV to a new low. It literally has such a pure name and when the serial first started out it was magical but as it proceeded further the serial became unbearable after successfully destroying both the characters of Radha Krishna, they brought rukmini and totally ruined her character and belittled her. What is even more horrifying is the fact that the show is watched by a large number of teenagers who actually think this is the truth. I have actually seen people mercilessly disrespecting these women on Instagram, Facebook and some blogs which enraged me. But this site has been quite protective of all of these women and respect them which is a relief and honestly like a breath of fresh air.