Barrister Babu

Azaadi | RudhIta OS

Mannmohanaa thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 4 years ago

I always wanted to pen this down, the minute I had come across this concept of a young man marrying a kid to save her life.

This story is set against the backdrop of an emerging freedom movement, an orthodox environment of the early 1900s. Also, the Roy Chaudhary household is a little more magnanimous here, being the most influential and wealthy family in the whole of Calcutta.

Aniruddh married Bondita when she was 8 and he, 24.

Presently, they're 18 and 34 respectively.

-X-

The indecipherable yet significantly audible mumble of the maids felt silent, as she walked past the corridor. Her anklets were in perfect rhythm, chiming constantly to create the effect of a music instrument exercising itself against the falling sun rays.

She stopped in the verandah and overlooked the session that was proceeding uninterruptedly, in the courtyard.

She raised her hand and silently instructed a maid to serve paan (beetle leaves) downstairs, as refreshment. She had already prepared and folded them herself. She knew how important the meeting was and there could be no mistakes.

"Aniruddh babu, these people are destroying our lives and our freedom. By no means is our motherland entitled to serve them anymore. I swear upon my soul, my life be damned if I were to be a slave even for one more day!" the sarpanch of a nearby town announced wildly.

He smiled.

"I appreciate your hot blood and fervour, my dear friend. But we must understand that the British government is doing more good than harm. I agree, that our lands have been usurped illegally but I'm sure this can be resolved by peaceful protests and petitions..."

"Enough! Aniruddh babu, only a London returned British barrister could be so cold and indifferent... Be aware of the dire consequences if you arrange for any talk with the Subedars."

The group of these extremists got up and left, rather abruptly, leaving an exasperated Aniruddh behind.

Bondita clasped her hands, feeling tensed and anxious. Things weren't favourable for conducive talks anymore and her Pati babu failed to understand the extent of this sudden urge for freedom. She made a solemn resolve to make him aware of it at the earliest.

Drawing the pallu over her head, she headed towards the dining hall for the evening meal.

"Aniruddh babu, don't mind these illiterates. I find your suggestion valuable. With your due permission, I would like to draft a letter regarding the same, to the Imperial Crown." said Atal Chatyopadhyay, an ardent follower of Aniruddh's cult of liberal thoughts and society upliftment.

"Don't bother about that, sire. A letter to the Bengal Viceroy would be enough. Be kind to intimate the developments to Munshiji by the next week and we shall have an appointment soon."

Pleased, he got up and shook hands.

"If only I could get your stamp and seal, I would be obliged, to write the letter on your behalf."

Aniruddh nodded and went indoors to fetch them.

"Psst, Atal. Don't you think it's unwisely to act against the villagers? Might and power always resides with the public..." said Bansal, Atal's brother in law.

"So you think Aniruddh babu is any less?"

"Age catches up with everyone, sir. He's not that young Aniruddh anymore who had the will of wind. I'm afraid he's too sober to understand these sentiments..."

"Shhhhh, Bansal. Think twice before you speak."

"I just hope atleast Bondita understands the situation; not everyone is so lucky to have the solitude of wisdom and the company of such a young wife, alike!"

"Bansal...! Quiet. Have you abandoned all the shame, to talk about Anirrudh babu's wife aloud? Don't let your fondness for her drown your conscience." he shouted, as he heard approaching footsteps.

-X-

Aniruddh puffed rapidly, with his heart and mind racing far, far ahead.

Those words kept stinging his conciousness. Was he really getting old? He looked at his reflection in the mirror. A fine man stood in front of him, dressed in a crisp dhoti kurta and a gray jacket, the man in his mid 30s.

"Pati babu, the dinner's served."

He looked around. There she stood, in a white and red saree, delicately dressed and beautifully adorned with the serenity of heaven. Yes, she was young and she was gorgeous. Was he wrong in keeping her by his own side, all for himself? Didn't she deserve someone young and warm? 

He was beginning to feel more and more certain about her longing for a partner of her own age and liking. His maturity was dampening her raw emotions and spirit. This was just a mere mention that he'd heard today, but this had been on his mind ever since she had completed her schooling.

Embarrased of his chain of thoughts, he looked away, still puffing.

"Coming in 10," He responded.

As Bondita handed him over some paan, she was reminded of the scene that had taken place that evening.

"Pati babu, I have a very disturbing piece of news for you. The villagers of the adjoining district burned a police officer, alive."

"Hmmm. Not very surprising. Everyone's extremely agitated off late. They certainly shouldn't have done that."

"Water hisses in burning oil, Pati babu. Even if they don't ever mix."

He got her subtle hint but he couldn't grasp the depth of the stirring uprising.

"India would never develop and see the real meaning of enlightenment without a strong power at the Centre, forcing them to shed these oppressive traditions."

"I get that. But what about these people who would never understand this perspective? What about those farmers who are forced to sell their crop at prices against their will?"

She was worried for him. If they had killed a police officer trying to collect tax, what could possibly stop them from bringing harm to the Haveli?

"Don't forget that you, yourself would've been burnt to death had I...

This society needs more of such reformers."

"Not at the cost of compromising their freedom, I'm sure. Please, listen to me for once. Try to understand what these people want and don't push for a meet with the British." she argued back.

He was silent, his disapproval clearly evident from his eyes.

"What was Bansal's opinion on this matter?" she asked, unknowingly.

"He had no say." he said coldly, hurt by the fact that she felt the need to resort to other's opinions to argue against him.

Both, felt aloof and dejected. She quietly turned around on the corner of the bed's other side, as they grew apart, slowly and steadily, while he went to the study.

-X-

"Aniruddh babu! Aniruddh babu!" 

Wild shouts of desperate cries were heard from the courtyard, downstairs. Bondita rubbed her eyes. It was a little past midnight.

She turned to the other side to see Aniruddh missing. She quickly adjusted her saree and drew a long pallu over her head, before rushing down.

"You asked for a meeting with those white cowards! How could you!" Yelled the staunch sarpanch. "There's no time for talk. Now only our blood will speak for the want of freedom."

"Yes, yes we want freedom!" shouted the rest of the violent protestors. 

He slammed the gates of the Haveli, forcing the sarpanch out.

"Har har Mahadev!" 

Cried the huge mob as someone flung a burning bottle to the inside.

In a moment, the whole garden was set ablaze. Another bottle crashed right behind Aniruddh's head, splitting up inches away from shoulder. Blood dripped from the back of his head. His eyes felt heavy as his vision blurred.

"Pati babu!" Screamed Bondita as she came out running, straight towards him.

"Bondi, run away. Bondi run!" he whispered faintly, as he fell into her lap.

He struggled to remove a piece of letter from his pocket and told her-

"Go to Bansal's house. I've written everything in here. Save you life, Bon. Free yourself. He will keep you safe and happy." he cried, as guilt buried deeper in his heart.

He smiled, as he felt relieved of keeping her caged all this while.

"No way I'm going anywhere. Do you get that!" she howled back. "How dare you decide for me all by yourself!" 

His conciousness slowly faded away but the warmth of her grip on his head never lessened, even as they took him inside.

"Namaskar, this is Bondita Aniruddh Roy Chaudhary here...." he could very vaguely hear her say. She didn't leave his side, even for a single moment. This cage was her home and her Pati Babu, her freedom.

-X-

Edited by Mannmohanaa - 4 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Amphitrite thumbnail

A great OS Mahi!

Its great Bondita never left her Pati Babu even in dire times

--Lalz-- thumbnail

This is so good mahi πŸ˜Š

Loved reading it ❀️

Just liked the way you linked nations freedom with her freedom too πŸ˜‰

Bon never left her pati babu ,

he was indeed her freedom πŸ˜‰

Keep writing mahi πŸ€—

Octothorpe thumbnail
Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 3

This just gave me the right freedom fighting feels Mahi. β€οΈ

I loved how Azaadi was not just the freedom of the country but it held deeper meaning. I'm glad Bondita knew her freedom wasn't from Anirudh but with Anirudh. Anirudh did disappoint me with his thoughts but that's what he is, right now, I feel. Anyway, it's beautifully written. β€οΈ

PS: I know you wanted me to be little strict with the feedback but you know, it's okay to not nitpick in things so amazing like this. πŸ€—

Thank youπŸ€—

Rozy77 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Amazing...πŸ‘

Loved it❀️