Barrister Babu

The Court Case - Rudhita OS

nancy56 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

THE COURT CASE

I desire very little, but the things I do consume me.”
-Beau Taplin

Judge Venkat Chatopadhya was the only Indian Judge in the Tulsipur District court. He was a middle-aged man, probably wearing khaki under his black robe. He had been a defense lawyer, had majorly served the British, but still was the most bearable amongst the other white men who mostly came to abuse their clerks back in their chambers. Anirudh had experienced his judgments two times before he came in with a fifeteen-year-old, crying - because her father won't let her live longer than her husband's premature death.

"Bijoy Banerjee, a resident of Dandla Village, coming under the jurisdiction of Tulsipur district court has been charged with the violation of the Sharda Act,1929, under the Imperial Legislative Council. he has also been charged with violating the age law of marriage which was amended with the Sharda Act of 1929." Anirudh saw the judge read the charges with utmost laziness, but he was still thankful.
"What does your client plead, defense attorney?" Judge Venkat out of formality.
"Not Guilty, Your Honour." Subo Patel answered as his client Bijoy Banerjee stiffened in his seat.

"The prosecutor may Proceed." The Judge announced.
Anirudh walked briskly to the center, gauging the abundant audience the benches had gathered. Before proceeding he swiftly looked at the clock- Bondita Das Roy Chaudhary was late again.

"On the night of 15th April 1930, Bijoy Banerjee gathered all the wood he could- but not for cooking. He uncovered a lot of ghee from the storehouse of his seemingly large house - again not for cooking. He took up a plank of wood and cowdung and proceeded to the funeral house where his son-in-law was already ready to burn on the pyre. His daughter wailed, seeing her husband burn - but never knew her father had sealed a similar fate for her. Instead of supporting her, Your Honour, Bijoy Banerjee, started to make his own daughter's pyre, ready to be given to fire. Your Honour, this man has no shame left."

At this, the villagers gasped for air. The truth was bitter to the ear but true in every regard.Bijoy Banerjee was red- head to toe but maintained his temper as Subo Patel knew better to not tarnish his client's image before the case started.

Anirudh called for the villagers who were ready to testify against Bijoy, but the problem was these were not close to him at all. He knew their credibility was still less, and Subo Patel shall take lead in cross-questioning because no matter how much he made them practice, the villagers were bound to fumble. The fifteen-year-old girl sat mumbling in fear, unable to find any human in her support. Anirudh glanced at the clock again. He really wanted to get the victim's mother and primary teacher on the stand, but suddenly they had disappeared this Friday morning. Extending the court case to another date was out of the question because he knew how fragile the whole system was. His one mistake and the victim might be dead.

"Your Honour, I would like to call Administrator Amitabh Ghosh to the stand." Subo Patel requested.

" Could you state your name and designation."Subo continued with the formality.
" My name is Amitabh Ghosh and I was elected as the Administrator of the Dandla village in the Calcutta Assembly last year." Amitabh complied.
" What do you know about Bijoy Banerjee."Subo Patel walked aside.
" Oh! he is a man of impeccable character I must say. He contributes the most in the Brahmin Samaj, looks forward to welcoming the British general back in our village during their tax collection." Amitabh buttered .
"Could he have committed the crime of burning his own daughter?" Subo asked rapidly.
"Objection, your Honour." Anirudh interpreted.
" Accepted. Subo rephrase your question."  the Judge implied.
"Pardon me, your honor. So Amitabh, tell me - isn't it true that Bijoy loved his daughter very much and could not have hurt her ?" Subo rephrased.
" Yes. he loved her very much. He couldn't have thought of hurting her in the wildest of his dreams." Amitabh replied.

Now it was Anirudh's turn to cross-question.
"Were you present with Mr. Bijoy on the night of 15th April?"Anirudh asked
"No." 
"Did you meet him during the day."
"No." 
"Last month, the man who looted your house was a house help working for the past 10 years, wasn't he ?"
"yes." Amitabh sweated.
" Did he tell you before he looted your house." Anirudh pressed.
"No."Amitabh complied.
"Objection, your Honor." Subo intervened.
"Overruled." The judge announced.
"Thank you, your Honor." Anirudh smiled.
" Did you ever think that your trusted house help could loot you?"
"No."
"Then how could you be so sure of Bijoy Banerjee, whom you met on rare occasions, cannot commit a felony. Could you vouch on his innocence?" Anirudh swiftly proceeded.
"No. I can't" Amitabh lowered his head.
"That's all your Honor." Anirudh went back to his client.

"Recess. 30 minutes." The judge announced.

Anirudh relaxed a bit on his cubicle. He has been practicing for 8 years now and has been allotted a separate cubicle - rare for prosecutors. Suddenly there is a commotion on the door. Bondita entered as if walking for a ramp.
'Where the hell you were ?" Anirudh screamed.
"Don't tell me that you asked the judge about my whereabouts, hope you are not mentally disturbed." Bondita's dry humor was not new to Anirudh. 
"Very Funny." Anirudh remarked sarcastically as he embraced Bondita in a swift hug. 
"If you were not my investigator for this case, I would not have entertained your tantrums here." Anirudh smirked
"Oh dear, you can't do without my luck. Anyways thank me later for this." She slid a birth certificate on Anirudh's table. The birth- certificate belonged to the fifteen-year-old girl who sat in the adjoining room fighting for her rights.
"Oh My good Lord ! I love you Bondita !!!" Anirudh screamed.
"Easy, Barrister Babu" Bondita chuckled.
"Her mother sits outside."Bondita announced. It was a long journey of hiding and sneaking before she really bought the victim's mother to the court.
"Tough day, honestly." Bondita admitted.
" I can be at your any service today my Lady. You have no idea that you have saved a sinking case today. I could not have thought of winning it without your evidence." Anirudh complied.
"Food?" He asked further.
"A Tea would do." Bondita smiled.
" Wouldn't it be a problem presenting a piece of new evidence without Subo's knowledge," Bondita asked twirling her hairpiece.
" Her mother was already on the list," Anirudh told while scanning the birth-certificate.
"today's session was tiring indeed. I could not breathe for a second, everything was so close to..." Anirudh trailed low.
"close to me?" Bondita asked.
Anirudh nodded in despair. " I could not fathom living those moments again" Anirudh told, closing his eyes.
"Pati Babu, I love you." Bondita told, innocence dripping. "Hmmm...' Anirudh mummered disappointing Bondita.
Suddenly Anirudh could feel his lips smashed with a familiar softness, at the ends of which he could dissolve.
"What was that for?" Anirudh asked still reviving from the event.
"Nothing. Just giving you something to obsesses over." Bondita winked.

Thank you
Would love to hear your reviews.

Alexia Di !! especially-  I need that thing I asked for, the suggestions-please!!
love love. peace.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mannmohanaa thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3

OMG this was so so so good!☺️

The whole vibe here is awesome. The easy and flamboyance UFFF!😎

Loved it!

Rozy77 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Oohh this was really nice..☺️

Loved it❤️

--Lalz-- thumbnail

Nancy this os is fabulous 😳

Loved this court room scenario 

Bon helping her pati babu and being his lady luck ❤️

Ani is on point  Just wowww.! ⭐️

You making me to crave more of your writings 😃 eager to read more from you 😎

xDownInFlamesx thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

I was really imagining Ani in the court! Hayes its such a lovely OS. Wish to see scenes like this in the show!! ☺️

bhshre95 thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 5

This is so amazing Nancy❤️👏

How do you always manage to write so wonderfully

The bond between Rudhita in this OS so breezy, easy going and fun one can just feel the warmth between them😳

And really enjoyed Anirudh's cross questioning in the court. I love courtroom dramas and you written it so nicely👏

Can you pleez write a second part to it would love to read it

And please keep writing more❤️

nancy56 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mannmohanaa

OMG this was so so so good!☺️

The whole vibe here is awesome. The easy and flamboyance UFFF!😎

Loved it!

Hi dear ! Do tell me what should I call you . 

Thank you so much for reading this. Love you 

Amphitrite thumbnail

One major thing Nancy

I believe that readers would like it more if you inculcate the quote somewhere 

Like where you are describing a scene on those line use the quote like - And Beau Taplin said it right ' the quote'

@Shreya this is one place where you have to use single quotes as its not you who is saying this

This makes the scene even more beautiful

Though writing it at the top also isnt bad but people tend to ignore it

So use the quote somewhere in the story.

aaradhaya1688 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Are waah 

I love sassy bondita always ♥️

nancy56 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Alexia_Wilson

One major thing Nancy

I believe that readers would like it more if you inculcate the quote somewhere 

Like where you are describing a scene on those line use the quote like - And Beau Taplin said it right ' the quote'

@Shreya this is one place where you have to use single quotes as its not you who is saying this

This makes the scene even more beautiful

Though writing it at the top also isnt bad but people tend to ignore it

So use the quote somewhere in the story.

Thank you di !!! 

I’ll keep this in mind. It’s quite good to know more about the use of apostrophe- seemingly I have been spending more time away from my grammar book. *wink*