Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shaon thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Once a mother, always a mother

"Did I interrupt your little tete-a-tete with the rain?"

Not hi, not hello, but this. Leave it to Mr Dhrubajyoti Lahiri to skip the simple greeting and jump straight to the point. Proving that once again, he knew exactly what had kept her busy. And most of the time, it was funny. It was comforting. It was nice to be known. Moments ago, she was smiling at the ways he knew her likes and dislikes. But now, with the mental image of his smug smile, all she felt was annoyance. Was she that predictable? Was it that easy to read her, to prepare for her reaction, and was it this knowledge that fueled Agni's attempt at manipulation earlier in the day? Belatedly, she realised that while she had been busy recounting her day (and hating herself for how it had managed to affect her), he too, had been silent. 

"Mr Lahiri?" 

"Word is that the Choudhuris lost the contract"

"That they did." If her bitterness seeped into the words, he didn't comment on it. Good. He, of all people, should understand how she had no sympathy for the Choudhuris. Had they been capable of securing the contract, they would have done so. And had Agni been decent enough to accept his defeat, she might have been kind. But no, he dragged her father into the mess. They could lose everything, for all she cared. They could….. 

"What did he say?"

She nearly dropped the phone at that. How did he know that Agni had contacted her? Was he spying on her? Did he plan for this? Did he make them lose? Did…What was she thinking, why would he do any of that. Leave it to Agni to fill her mind with poison. And leave it to her anger to cloud her vision. But then, how did he know.. 

"You know that I went to meet Agni?" 

"I didn't, thanks for the confirmation" 

Of course. Of course he didn't know. He just made an educated guess, thinking back to all the times she had rescued her family. Yet, he called her, late in the evening… No wait, it was nearing the children's bedtime - he called her at this hour, instead of sitting with the kids, just because he had a hunch that Agni did something to upset her? The realisation was sudden and so was the array of emotions flooding her mind. This - their relationship, this casual camaraderie, this level of care and concern - all of it was very complicated, and with the day she just had, Tara wasn't ready to process her emotions. There was no reason to think about it, this was totally normal.  Two people, who had been bound in a relationship, two people, who have come to a certain understanding, talking to each other as if they were friends. Oh yes, this was totally the norm when it came to divorced couples. Never mind that their relationship had its base in hatred (and a hint of respect, although both of them would have denied it). Even in the confines of her head, the explanation screamed of denial. But no, this was a story for another day. For now, she would settle for a distraction. And a way to unload her burden. 

"You called me just so you could trick me into admitting that I spoke to Agni?" Not the words she had meant to say, but when did her heart listen to her? If it did, then she wouldn't be venting her frustration at Mr Lahiri, she wouldn't be this angry over Agni's words, she wouldn't feel the tears threatening to fall…. 

"No Miss Tara, there was no trickery involved." He was disappointed. Yes, he usually called her Miss Tara when he was in a mood to tease her, but this wasn't it. He was upset  disappointed with her misdirected anger. 

"Mr Lahiri, I didn't mean it like that, I just -" 

"The reason I called you -" he cut her off with a tone of finality. That ship had sailed, there was no point apologising now. He would remember this. He would definitely  remember this, and he would pay her back, with interest, but not now. Not when she needed him. 

"- is that I know you, and from what little I have seen of Agni, I knew he would react negatively" the 'I knew you needed me' hung in the silence between them, increasing her guilt with each passing second. 

"Yes, I know, he just -"

This time too, the interruption came from his side, but whereas the last one had filled her with guilt, this time, she felt her heart dance with joy. She knew that voice - the other one, the one that was demanding bedtime stories from the world's worst storyteller. Smiling, she pushed the phone further into her ear, pressing down to hear more of the conversation. If she could run into that house and enveloped the little human, she would have. She loved her new life, her new freedom, but moments like these made her yearn for those days. 

"Babu, no, you know I don't know that story"

Tara couldn't help but laugh at the way her husband  friend came up with the lamest excuses to appease the children. At this point, Babi too had joined the fray, doing what she did best - manipulating her father into melting into a puddle of mush. Her kids stopped at nothing when it came to getting something from their father. If she hadn't been eavesdropping on this scene of complete domestic bliss, then surely, the phrase 'her kids' would have sent her down a dangerous path. But as it was, Tara was lost in the moment, aching to be a part of this family of a father and his  their kids. As if Radhamadhav had heard her plea, Tara suddenly found herself an active participant in the conversation going on in the master bedroom of Lahiri Mansion. 

"Tara - Babi, I will tell you another story. I will read you that book, na..Tara, tell them. I really  don't know how the story ends." 

"Yes, Babi, Babu, you know nah -" 

"Maa!"

A single word. A single word, uttered with the pure love only a child can have, and the world seemed to freeze. 

"Maa!"

This time it was Babu, and Tara had no trouble imagining the huge grin on his face. These were her children. She might not have given birth to them, she didn't raise them, but these were her children. Her children. 

"Maa, Maa, tell us the story na Maa the one you left unfinished. Please Maa. Please?"

How could she deny them that? How could she deny them this little moment with their mother? They never demanded things from her, never attempted to stop her, accepted that she would no longer be living with them, and most of all, they never stopped loving her. Never. 

And she never stopped loving them. 

There was a shuffling noise - he must have put the phone on speaker. They both knew how this was going to end. 

Juto tuto thik ache, tomato tao cholbe, kintu no kancha dim. 😆 Joking, all feedback is welcome :D

And yes, I gave the kids nicknames because I couldn't think of 'proper' names. I never denied that I was lazy. 

Shaon thumbnail

Originally posted by: MishtiNew

The drabbles are...

Loved them. The emotions are penned down so beautifully!!! 

💖💖💖💖💖

Tara's emotional turmoil!

I want more...😎

Ask and you shall receive 😎

This update has Dhruba (and bonus cameos from the kids)!! The next should continue (and finish, if everything goes according to plan) the 'serious' conversion Dhruba Tara were having, before the kids interrupted (as they usually do). Afterwards, I have plans for introducing Didi and maybe actually bring Dhruba Tara face to face? Who knows? 

I hope this matches up to your expectations. Take care, have a great time  ❤️

Shaon thumbnail

Two lies I tell you and one truth I cannot deny

"And then -" 

"Tara -" 

"And then, the Prince bowed down and -" 

"Tara!" 

He had been doing the same thing for the past fifteen minutes - interrupting her while she tried to finish the story. Yes, the kids had fallen asleep long before that, but she was telling a story, she couldn't just stop. Besides, he needed to know this story. If there was a next time (and knowing her kids, there would be a next time), if they asked to hear this story some other day, she wouldn't be there. If she couldn't be there to love them and tell them the story while she patted them to sleep, she would find another way, even if it meant she would have to talk over him to make him listen. 

"The Prince -" 

"Tara…" 

"What do you want, Mr Lahiri? Why do you keep interrupting me? What will you do if tomorrow, they make the same request? Ask me for help like you did today? Call me and put the phone on speaker?" 

"Yes Tara, this is exactly what I'll do" 

"Mr Lahiri, please -" 

"If I wanted to be the one to tell them, I would have learnt the story the first time they asked about it."

One important facet of their relationship was the way they understood each other, how for them, even silence spoke a thousand words. Even during the worst phase of their equation, Tara had always heard the hidden meaning of his words, she had seen the challenge in everything he did, she had been able to distinguish between the anger directed at the person Tara and the anger directed as the representative of the Choudhuris. He too, had been able to understand how her hatred had been restricted to him, and not his their family. And he had known, from the initial stages, that no matter what she said, at the end of the day, he too, was her family. Together, they had reached a point of mutual respect and understanding, and even now, after her time abroad, even after the long gap, even after all this time, Tara understood the hidden meaning behind his words. He wanted her to be the one to tell the story. He wanted them to operate as a family. 

But they were not together, not anymore. They were divorced, and their children lived with him, at his house, and she was no longer a part of that family. She could deny that with all her might, but the truth was that they had to work through this situation, they had to walk away. This couldn't be going on much longer. She couldn't live on false hope, not like this. No. "Mr Lahiri…"

"Let them have this one thing. Please Tara"

If you are already surrounded by fire, then what's one matchstick? What's one more act of denial? They were happy living a lie, let things be how they have been for the past three years or so. Let them have this moment of peace. Let them be happy for one more night. She was no one to destroy what they had built together. 

"Good night, Mr Lahiri" 

"Good night? When did I say that I was done talking? We still have things left to discuss." 

"Mr Lahiri...Can we not do this right now?"

She didn't have it in her to discuss Agni,  of all people. Not when she was this close to falling apart at the seams. And right now, in this particular moment, she didn't want to have this discussion with him,  not when she wanted to avoid thinking about what they meant to each other.  

"Ignoring the truth won't change it, Tara"

Yet, she found comfort in the lies, so she turned away from the truth, and walked into the darkness. She was tired of playing this game of truth and lies, of arguing with herself as to what her marriage meant to her. To them. And for him to act like she was childish and immature and stupid to live in denial -  "Yes but -" 

"You are hurt about what Agni said, are you not?"

He was still stuck on Agni? That's what this was about? Here she was struggling to make sense of the relation between them, and he was talking about Agni. Agni. 

"And I thought you wanted to talk about us  me. But no, you called me because of Agni - that's what this is about. Not me, not us, but Agni."

Did he actually laugh at her? Well, why not. From what she could remember, he took great pleasure in annoying her. He enjoyed her outbursts. Even now, she could rattle off all of his taunts (and there were too many of them). That was who he was - Dhrubajyoti Lahiri loved to taunt his wife  ex-wife and then laugh at her annoyance. 

"If you kept me awake just to laugh at me, then -" 

"It is not about Agni. Or the Choudhuris. Hasn't been about them in a long, long time. It's about you." 

"And why do you think that I care about Agni? Why do you think his words matter to me? Why -" she was close to screaming now, angry tears flooding her face. She hated Agni. She hated Mr Lahiri. She hated herself. 

"Tara…Tara…I am here. I am here Tara. I am here."

That he was. They were miles apart, she was in her apartment and he was in Lahiri mansion, with only their phones being the only thread of connection, but she knew that he would stay there until her tears stopped. No matter what happened, he would be there. If she hung up right now, he would be waiting for her call. If she fell asleep crying about her day, he would be there when she woke up. Mr Lahiri would always be there for her. 

And for her, that was enough. He was enough. 

Juto tuto thik ache, tomato tao cholbe, kintu no kancha dim. smiley36 Joking, all feedback is welcome :D

This is totally not how I had imagined this part to be, but I trust my muse, so I am going to take a leap of faith and post this. Hopefully the next part will be go the way I want to take it. Till then, enjoy 🤗

Shaon thumbnail

The definition of soon

"And then?" 

"Then what?" 

"Was he there the whole night?" 

"Didi…" 

"Come on Tara, I am your Didi. You can share everything with me. You should tell me about it." 

"What is there to say?" 

"Please?"

Tara could imagine the look on Didi's face - her little frown, that hidden smile, and most of all, the sparkle of life in those eyes. Didi didn't have too many moments of happiness. Even with the kids, she would often be lost in her thoughts. The only thing that never failed to bring a smile on her face was her brother, and his marriage with Tara. She had come in when they were more or less settled, and then there was the divorce. Afterwards, in between annual programmes and board meetings and mugs and mugs of tea, the two women had grown closer, and Tara, who had never had a friend who would give her genuine advice, had jumped at the chance of getting an older sister. Deepti too, had found an outlet for her love. Being the youngest of three siblings, she had never had the chance to be the one to offer advice. But now she had that opportunity to do so. They fulfilled a gap in each other. And to say no to that woman, Tara couldn't do it. 

"I think I fell asleep. And when I woke up, he was at the office, so I didn't disturb him." 

"Disturb him? Tara, he enjoys it when you call"

I know. 

"It just didn't feel right. I didn't have anything important to say, and he must have been busy with work, so I simply cut the call." 

"Ahh, so that's why he is sulking. Call him." 

"Sulking? Didi, do you even know him? He is always sulking. Besides, like I said, it wasn't important." 

"I say this because I know him, Tara. Call him." 

"Didi -" 

"Call him or I'll have to report to Didibhai" 

"What? No. Please, Didi, don't do this"

Didibhai had not been one to welcome Tara with open arms. Of course, she had welcomed Tara as her sister-in-law, and no, she had never made any trouble, and she had been never managed the art of throwing insults wrapped in a smile (that level of passive aggressive behaviour was better suited to her brother), but from the first day itself, she had made it known that she didn't like Tara. If there was anything that defined the Lahiri siblings, then it was their honesty. They were always very open about their displeasure. Even now, Didibhai barely spoke to her, unless it was about the kids (Mahi was a prominent figure in their discussions, with both her and Tara being of the same age) or Mr Lahiri himself. And if she came to know of the tension between her brother and Tara, she would start with her lectures. . Not that it scared Tara. She knew that Didibhai only wanted the best for her brother and Tara certainly wasn't doing a great job at proving to be the best. If anything, she had managed to dig a deeper hole for themselves, a web of lies and responsibilities and a false sense of normalcy. No, Tara couldn't let that happen, she had to stop Didi. And if it meant that she would have to have that conversation with Mr Lahiri, then so be it. 

"Don't tell Didibhai. I'll call him." 

"When?" 

"As soon as possible."

"Do that. I can tell that this is important."

It was. All the more reason for her to delay the conversation. Push it further into the darkness. If she didn't look at it, then it wouldn't be there. If they didn't talk about it, then it didn't happen. If they ignored it, then they would be happy. And wasn't that what everyone was fighting for? Happiness? Mr Lahiri, Tara, Didi, Didibhai, Agni, Pishimoni, Bhalo Baba… Everyone had the same goal - that of achieving pure bliss. They were all running behind the impossible, so what if Tara was being a bit selfish? What if she was trying to cling to these moments of peace? She deserved it. They deserved it. 

How soon was 'soon' supposed to be? 

How long would it take for her to accept the truth, to move on, to shake off all traces of Tara Lahiri? 

An hour, a day, a month, a year… lifetime? 

Juto tuto thik ache, tomato tao cholbe, kintu no kancha dim. 😆  Joking, all feedback is welcome :D 

MishtiNew thumbnail

So beautiful! 

I am liking both the Lahiri sisters. And Tara...is just 💖

One request- can I get a cute Nok-Jhok moment between Druba and Tara? Please?

Shaon thumbnail

It is you who I look for amidst the chaos

Tara wasn't one to panic easily. Some might even argue that she didn't panic, like ever, except that one time when she took the decision to single-handedly destroy her future. But then, one might argue back that he always brought out the worst in her. Even now, the calm, composed Tara, the Tara who never panicked, was clutching her phone like a lifeline, ears pressed against the screen. Just one word of assurance, and everything would be fine. Just one word from him and she would be able to breathe properly. Just. One. Word. But it seemed as if the Universe was conspiring against her. She had heard many things amidst the chaos at Lahiri Mansion. The curious voices of the kids as they tried to make sense of the situation, Mr Adhikari trying to distract the kids (and failing terribly at it. For a man who was the Grandfather to three little children, he was actually quite bad with kids). She had heard Didi's panicked voice, the shouts of 'glass' and 'blood' and Dada! Tara had heard everything she could imagine in a situation like this, but not that one voice she yearned to hear. 

She hadn't heard him

There was nothing to suggest that anything serious had taken place. She hadn't heard of anyone mentioning a doctor. Mr Adhikari was a man of action, had he found it necessary, he would have called for a doctor. The fact that he might have called a doctor without her hearing of it was effectively swept under the rug. It couldn't have been that bad, everything had been normal moments before. She had been talking to Didi on the phone, and while she did miss out on a part of the conversation, she wouldn't have missed something like this. She didn't  miss the scream, the panicked mumbling, the pitter patter of tiny feet and Mr Adhikari's 'it's nothing kids, go play'.  Whatever happened, it was a small incident, nothing more than that. Didi had a habit of getting worried about the smallest things, especially if it came to her brother. Tara knew that. Yet, she herself was rooted to the spot, hoping, praying to Radhamadhav. Waiting for him

"Ta..ra?"

There it was. That's the voice she had been waiting for. His 'Tara'. There was a hint of a pain in the way he  paused between the two syllables, but it was his voice and if he was talking to her, then everything was okay. Or not. In all the time she had known him, he had been incredibly stubborn. If he got it in his mind that he had to talk to her, no matter what, then he would talk to her, no questions asked. He would struggle, he would fight with himself if he had to, but he would speak to her. 

"How bad is it?" 

"Tara, I am fine."

"How bad is it, Mr Lahiri?" 

"Tara.. Learn to trust me on the first go. I am fine."

"I don't trust you. Nor will I ever learn to trust you" 

"Oh, so we are back to being enemies?" 

"Are you going to tell me what happened or do I need to go there myself?" If he was in the mood to bicker with her, then he really was alright. He did seem to be in pain though, so something must have happened. 

"Nothing serious. Deepti broke a glass, I accidentally stepped on it. There was some blood, and it took a while to get the piece out of my foot. It's fine." 

"She broke a glass? How?" 

"She just decided to throw it on the floor. You see Tara, I have been so busy with work, she wanted to keep me home for a couple of days."

"What?" 

"How does one break a glass, Tara? It was an accident. Simple as that." 

"I meant to say, that she was talking to me, so -" 

"Oh, so you are responsible for all the rescheduling I have to do. Thank you, Miss Tara, I will be forever grateful to you for this unexpected break."

Tara wasn't stupid, she didn't miss the hints he gave out. Not that she needed any clues. Even with the sarcasm, the banter, she could clearly hear the pain in his voice. 

I am sorry.

She didn't need to voice it out to him. 

Just like he didn't need to spell voice his assurance. 

You have nothing to be sorry about, it wasn't your fault.

"Mr Lahiri, is your silence the only thanks I'll get?"

You had me worried.

"Of course not, Miss Tara. I know my manners."

I know, and I am sorry.

In truth, Tara didn't need to hear his words,  she didn't need to hear his voice even, she just needed him. 

Juto tuto thik ache, tomato tao cholbe, kintu no kancha dim. 😆 Joking, all feedback is welcome :D 

Edited by SG2016 - 4 years ago
Shaon thumbnail

The only thing missing is 'us' 

Lahiri Mansion hadn't changed, not one bit. It was to be expected, he liked consistency. And he had built the house just how he wanted it, with the garden and the front porch and the upstairs balconies. For his distant, professional, business shark image, he had lots of opinions regarding how the house should be. The curtains, the decor. With time, there have been additions, little changes. Some of them have been brought in by the kids, some, like the excessive amount of porch lights (installed after countless instances of her falling on her face), were there because of Tara. A quick glance at her old bedroom confirmed even the curtains were of the same design. It had become an odd habit, to check for the things she left here. In the three years since their divorce, Tara had come to Lahiri Mansion on multiple occasions, each visit proving that yes, everything was just the same, only she was missing from the scene. 

"Madam?"

Some things never change. It has been years since she had been the matriarch of this house, years since she was their 'madam', but everyone, Mali kaka, Bijoy Dada, Satyo Dada - all of them still held the same love for her. Their tone held the same amount of respect, and being addressed as 'madam' still made her heart flutter with some unknown emotion. "Bijoy Dada! How are you?" 

"Fine Madam." Bijoy Dada grinned at her, teeth as white as the uniform he was wearing. "Madam, let me know before you leave. I will drop you home."

"No, no, Bijoy Dada, I'll manage." 

"Arey Madam, how can I let you travel in the bus when I am right here? No Madam, you have come here after so long, I'll drop you home." 

"Okay, okay. But first, let me meet everyone!"

This was their regular routine. He would offer to drop her home, she would politely refuse, and it would go on until the older man managed to successfully manipulate her into agreeing to the offer. Satyo Dada had the same policy, but sometimes, if she was too strict, he would straight up complain to Mr Lahiri. And that was that. 

Everything was the same, even Didi's love for the colour pink. Or the way her eyes shone with love. But the one thing that was the exact same as it had been years ago, was the warmth of Didi's embrace. Tara breathed in the smell of Didi's perfume, basking in the love. "Didi!" 

"Hmm, now you love me. And what about last night, I kept talking to you and you were off doing who knows what. Then you didn't think of Didi"

Tara didn't want to break the hug, but there was a hint of sadness in Didi's tone. Freeing her hands, Tara held her ears, waiting for Didi's frown to soften. 

"Alright, alright. I forgive you. Now go and convince Bhai to stay home. He was fine at breakfast, but now he is demanding to go to the office" 

"What?"

Tara had first-hand experience with the stubborn nature of Mr Lahiri. If he wanted to go to the office, he would annoy everyone until they gave in. He would scream and shout and beg (and wasn't that an interesting side of him, only reserved for the ones he trusted the most. And wasn't it absolutely beautiful how she had made her way into that group?). It was going to be a difficult task to persuade him to stay home. "Don't worry, I'll…I'll see."

Get ready for war, Mr Lahiri.

Juto tuto thik ache, tomato tao cholbe, kintu no kancha dim. 😆 Joking, all feedback is welcome :D  And with this update, my drabble 'bank' is empty. Hopefully, we will meet soon. All my love ❤️

Shaon thumbnail

So beautiful! 

Thank you so much, Mishti ❤️ I am so glad you love both of the sisters. Didi is definitely a sweetheart, but Didibhai isn't too bad either.

And Tara toh 💖

@bold: Yes, yes and YES!!! The next chapter should be full of light, cute, nok-jhok between Dhruba Tara. That's why I am so excited to write it. 

Also, this is my first request, the first thing you have asked of me in this FF. Of course I'll give my best. Whether it passes the cuteness test, you be the judge. Soon, very soon. I just have to write it. 

Once again, thank you so much, Mishti 🤗

Shaon thumbnail

Our slice of normal

Tara had expected to argue, to talk, to convince him to abandon his plan of going to the office. She had expected it to be a battle of will, her words against his. She had prepared for that, had taken deep breaths to empty her mind. Riling her up was his favourite way of getting her to accept defeat, and she wouldn't let him get away with it. Not this time. So she had stood there in front of the door, palm sprawled on the wood, thinking of the ways he might attempt to persuade her. What she had not expected was that this scene would be the one to meet her eyes. Mr Lahiri stood in front of their  the wardrobe, frowning at the collection of suits (or what she knew to be his suits - he might have reorganised his wardrobe after the divorce, what with all the free space he must have gotten). He was dressed for the office. Great.

She was at his side in three quick steps, shutting the closet door with a huff. If he was surprised to see her in their  his bedroom, he didn't express it, opting to fiddle with his cufflinks instead. He was so intent on ignoring her that his greeting made her heart jump.

"Good morning Tara!"

She had missed it, this lilt of his voice, the smile in his eyes, his 'Tara'. Even when they had been enemies, he had always made her name sound different...special. He made it sound as if she wasn't human, as if she was something more, someone stronger, someone brighter. He gave her a sense of power, simply because of the way he pronounced her name. Tara! And now, with this joy that seemed to cling to his words, Tara couldn't help but think - what if? What if things had been normal? 

What if this  was their normal? 

"Not that I haven't seen women lose their voice in my presence, but I expected better from you. After all, this isn't new for you"

Did he just..? He did. Tara couldn't help the blush coloring her cheek. Mr Lahiri had suggested that she was absolutely smitten with him, and that he had rendered her speechless, simply by existing. Could this be classified as flirting? Should she flirt back? No! No, definitely not. She was here on important business. 

"Yes - No!"

Now, that was a fantastic way to let him know what exactly she had been thinking. Frantically, her eyes searched for him. Had he left in her moment of distraction? Thankfully, he hadn't. While she had been considering the possibility of flirting with her ex-husband, the man in question had moved on to putting finishing touches to his outfit - namely his watch. And when their eyes met in the mirror, he still had a smile on his face. A wide, knowing smile. She had been caught. 

Time for a distraction. 

"What are you doing, Mr Lahiri?" 

"I had known you to be an exceptionally clever woman, Tara. Why are you so intent to prove me wrong?" he turned, his back to the mirror and eyes lit with a challenge. "I am leaving for the office." 

"No you aren't." 

"What? What are you trying to say  Tara?"

Tara was never one to shy away from a challenge, especially if he was the one to initiate it. They were both on equal ground, familiar with the other's way of thinking, but he had nowhere to run. Unknowingly, he had backed himself into a corner. And with each step she took, he lessened the distance between him and the mirror, until it wasn't possible for him to move. 

Oh, how the tables had turned. 

This had always been a prominent feature of their fights, their signature style, but usually, she was on the receiving end and it had never been this amusing. 

"How will you leave now, Mr Lahiri?"

The smile never left his face. Not when he leaned back against the dressing table, or when his eyes took in the way she had her arms crossed on her chest. If anything, it only transformed into a lazy grin, and he relaxed into the furniture. Looking at him now, one might even think that he didn't want to leave. But Tara wouldn't be fooled by that. She has had first hand experience that smiles can be deceiving, especially if he was doing the smiling. 

"As you can see, I am blocking your path and I won't move. I won't move and I won't let you leave" 

"And why do you think I want to leave?"

What kind of a game was he playing now? 

"You don't? But Didi -" confused, Tara let her arms fall to the side, thinking back to the conversation in the hall. Didi had said that he was preparing to leave…. 

"Actually, now that you mention it -"

Just as she had thought, he took advantage of the distraction, swiftly moving past her before she had a chance to react. Had it not been for the injury, he would have managed to slip away, but because he was slow (and wincing in pain with each step), she caught him with ease. 

"What is this Tara, let me go"

It started off as an order, softening when he spoke her name, the last words an earnest request. He knew how to disarm her. Well, two can play a game. She let go of the coat sleeve she had been holding on to, coming to stand in front of him. Time for plan B - emotional manipulation. 

"Please Mr Lahiri, why are you doing this?" 

"Tara…"

She was so close to victory. So, so close. 

"Please don't leave" she pleaded, eyes wide and innocent  - completely clear of any traces of manipulation, but moist enough so that he would be forced to reevaluate his decision. She didn't like to use his weakness against him, but this was for his own good, for his well-being. 

"Tara…" 

His exasperated sigh was the only proof that he had surrendered, but she understood him well enough to know it for what it was. Thin fingers encircling his wrist, she made him lie down on the bed. She noticed that he didn't put up much of a fight, or that he all but melted into the bed, face visibly relaxing the moment he was off his feet. He was uncomfortable, he was in pain, and yet, he had left no stone unturned to leave for the office. She had known him to be stubborn, but this was too much. 

"What were you thinking?"

Her anger was met with another sigh. "What will I do here? I'll get bored, Tara." His tone was close to a whine now, much like his  their kids when they didn't get their way. The only thing missing was the childish huff. 

Spoke too soon.

"Even you will be leaving now that your work is done"

She couldn't be angry at that. She had meant to spend some time with him, had wanted to give him some company, but she didn't know how to bring it up. He would hate to trouble her (he didn't - he never did) and she would hate to suggest that he would need her help. Yes, he was hurt, but it wasn't that much of an issue. He wouldn't have gone through the trouble of dressing up if he couldn't stand on his feet or walk to the front door. 

Looking for something to do, she busied herself with straightening the bed spread, brushing off imaginary specks of dust. Her hands paused near his feet, fingers hovering above the thick bandage. She had glass pierce her skin quite a few times, she knew how much it hurt, and she knew not to go anywhere near the wound. Yet, she felt a restlessness at the lack of contact, as if she had no idea how he was doing, if he needed help, if there was anything for her to lessen the pain. It would go away after a couple of days, he would be fine, but she wanted to help, to make it all go away. Right now. 

"Told you, the wound isn't that deep. Still, if you want to see for yourself, take a look." 

"Does it hurt? " 

"Not at all Tara. If anything, it is a very… WhatWhat do you call it? Yes. It's a very pleasant  experience. No pain, none at all" 

"Why aren't you taking it seriously, this is not a joke. You would know, you are the one who is in pain. And if really think I am overreacting - "

She reached the door in record speed, her fingers on the handle, when he spoke up. "Tara! Stay."

"And why should I? If you are going to laugh at my concern, then it is better that I leave." 

"Don't be this harsh Tara, please forgive this ungrateful person" 

"Yes, I only know how to be harsh, that's all I am" 

"Arey, why are you behaving like a kid?" 

"Need I remind you that just moments ago, you were pleading with me to go to the office" 

"And yet, all my pleas fell on deaf ears" 

"I -" 

"So my previous statement stands true" 

"No it doesn't!" 

"Really Tara? Okay, I promise, this dark side of you will be our little secret. Now please come here and help me find a way out of this boredom that you have blessed me with - once again, thank you! "

"You are an evil person, Mr Lahiri" she said, making her way back to the bed and sitting down opposite him. 

"So evil that you never miss a chance to stare at me" 

"I don't stare at you!" 

"Continue, continue Tara. There is no shame in staring. Like I said, I know that I am exceptionally handsome. It must be hard for you to look away."

That smile was back, the one from earlier, near the wardrobe. That smug, teasing smile of his. Once again, color flooded her cheeks, both at his words and the realisation that she was, indeed, staring at him. Frantic, she searched for something else for him to focus on. 

"Uhh…Why don't you read some books? You are bored, right? With a good book, time will fly."

If he caught her poor attempt at deflection, he didn't comment on it. Instead, he relaxed into his pillows, spreading his arms to gesture at the room (and the lack of books in it. He had a study for this purpose, he didn't feel the need to clutter this room with his books). 

"Of course. I have a mini library built just in case" 

"I can just go and fetch the book for you" 

"No need, I have already read the ones I like" 

"Read them one more time then" 

"Brilliant idea Tara, why didn't I think of it sooner?"

Because it was an incredibly stupid suggestion to give to a man who had such a hard time even listening to a boring conversation, let alone read the same book over and over. Had it not been for the sarcastic smile, she would have been embarrassed. As it was, she only managed an annoyed huff. "Why don't you suggest something?"

"Hmm, I can definitely suggest something nicer -"

No you can't.

"- but I like what we have now. You, me."

Us.

"Of course you do"

So do I.

Some banter, a little bit of teasing. Some care, some concern, some reminiscing of the past. Him. Her. Them.

Juto tuto thik ache, tomato tao cholbe, kintu no kancha dim. smiley36 Joking, all feedback is welcome :D 

Edited by SG2016 - 4 years ago
Shaon thumbnail

So beautiful! 

Posted! 

Longest update as of yet, and I think it does have plenty of light hearted moments, but like I said, you are the reader, and it is up to you to judge if it is up to the mark or not. I hope I have managed to fulfil some part of your request!! Enjoy ❤️ 🤗