KHKT: Wrong Place at the Wrong Time

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 4 years ago

While all of us are very upset with the news of the show going off-air and all the news and with all the chaos going on on Social media and other platforms, I was trying to understand the reason for the show going off-air. 

However, this is only my personal opinion. 

The KHKT viewership belongs to a specific category of audience which is very different from the rest of the of Star's target audience. Like we heard in Sandiip Sickand's interview, the Indian television female lead should be gullible or bechaari for the audience to relate to her and whether we like to admit to it or not, but there is a significant number of people in our country who actually want to watch a bechaari lady most of the time because they identify with them. At least that's what the TRPs  of other long-lasting shows say and also what the new promo of the possible replacement of KHKT depicts.

However, there is also another segment of the society (the likes of us) who want to see a strong woman on screen. Someone who earns her own money, who wants a career for herself, who provides for the family but also looks for some magic in the form of love. All of us somewhere are these dreamers who identify with the likes of Sonakshi and look for some RoNakshi magic within the realities of their life which is work, career, family, finances, among many other problems. That's the reason most of us loved the first 75-odd episodes of the show which majorly saw a strong Sonakshi and the good news is that this section of the society is growing looking at how popular the show is with the 1.8-2.0 TRP and also viewership on Hotstar. 

Unfortunately, what Star Plus and other Hindi GEC channels have assumed is that our section of viewership has moved to the web-series platform or other international shows.  But unfortunately, we're stuck somewhere in the middle. We may or may not relate to the over practical web-shows because we're still dreamers living in this practical world and international shows is something we may not relate to all the time. 

@Sandiip Sickand - It’s not that good content doesn’t work. It’s just the viewership population of our country is unevenly divided. Maybe KHKT is on the wrong channel at the wrong time?

What Star Plus is trying to do by pulling off KHKT is focus on the mass audience with a view to get more profits on their prime time slot. But my urge to Star Plus is to probably tap into this section of the audience who want a show which they can relate to without the over-the-top family drama and deal with the real problems of life. The current numbers show great potential to shape the next generation of the audience and also define the 'Nayi Soch' that the channel is trying to promote?

My two bits from the business side!

Edited by Anokhee - 4 years ago

Yes. Audience base is unevenly distributed. Like the online audience and mostly those who have access to such forums , can watch any amount of rubbish in the name of their favourite jodi . But those who are not attached to the Jodi,try to see it logically and fail when their expectations are not met and quit . So even that may be a good number of people . We may think that if we like a Jodi then the whole world will and the serial runs because of them alone but no..its the story plus execution which should appeal to the mass audience ....

Yesterday itself one of the ekta serials, kzk2 had a episode which was similar to kpk, sandip made a fun of such serials and tv ,that pulled a lot of audience to khkt. Along with a good set up of actors characters and story ,he had a  light hearted serial, due to which khkt settled to 1.8, 1.9 trps. He changed track midway and thought only saas bahu regressive stuff works so he toppled everything he created and expected trpsout of it. It wont happen . People's expectations from khkt and bhagyas or kzk2 r different.  I sympathize with him as his show went off air , it had a lot of potential . But the truth is that the usp of the show was lost somewhere in between and the uniqueness vanished . Still it was good but this is not the first time, a lot of good shows were taken off air as sp is in total experimentation mode..4 or 5 serials have ended n new ones r also being shut down if thy dont give good numbers. Agreed khkt wasnt a limited format show but it's good if its reaching a logical end as it will ruin further if it doesnt. And any point of time the channel ends it , even after 5 yrs, the reaction of some fans would be the same. 

Edited by _charu_ - 4 years ago

I agree with your post TM. But this is the problem with almost every ITV serial which shows potential. The first 50-100 episodes are written well and executed properly then it begins to slowly go downhill. The makers deviate from the concept they show in the promos. It’s not entirely their fault  because channels intervene in the storyline for TRP but after a point the creatives tend to lose interest in their own show and begin dishing out anything they think will help to bring more ratings. 

Indian television is in need of a change. If they continue this way, it won’t take long before the industry itself dies out. 

Originally posted by Anokhee

While all of us are very upset with the news of the show going off-air and all the news and with all the chaos going on on Social media and other platforms, I was trying to understand the reason for the show going off-air. 

However, this is only my personal opinion. 

The KHKT viewership belongs to a specific category of audience which is very different from the rest of the of Star's target audience. Like we heard in Sandiip Sickand's interview, the Indian television female lead should be gullible or bechaari for the audience to relate to her and whether we like to admit to it or not, but there is a significant number of people in our country who actually want to watch a bechaari lady most of the time because they identify with them. At least that's what the TRPs  of other long-lasting shows say and also what the new promo of the possible replacement of KHKT depicts.

However, there is also another segment of the society (the likes of us) who want to see a strong woman on screen. Someone who earns her own money, who wants a career for herself, who provides for the family but also looks for some magic in the form of love. All of us somewhere are these dreamers who identify with the likes of Sonakshi and look for some RoNakshi magic within the realities of their life which is work, career, family, finances, among many other problems. That's the reason most of us loved the first 75-odd episodes of the show which majorly saw a strong Sonakshi and the good news is that this section of the society is growing looking at how popular the show is with the 1.8-2.0 TRP and also viewership on Hotstar. 

Unfortunately, what Star Plus and other Hindi GEC channels have assumed is that our section of viewership has moved to the web-series platform or other international shows.  But unfortunately, we're stuck somewhere in the middle. We may or may not relate to the over practical web-shows because we're still dreamers living in this practical world and international shows is something we may not relate to all the time. 

@Sandiip Sickand - It’s not that good content doesn’t work. It’s just the viewership population of our country is unevenly divided. Maybe KHKT is on the wrong channel at the wrong time?

What Star Plus is trying to do by pulling off KHKT is focus on the mass audience with a view to get more profits on their prime time slot. But my urge to Star Plus is to probably tap into this section of the audience who want a show which they can relate to without the over-the-top family drama and deal with the real problems of life. The current numbers show great potential to shape the next generation of the audience and also define the 'Nayi Soch' that the channel is trying to promote?

My two bits from the business side!

excellent👏

Originally posted by _charu_

Yes. Audience base is unevenly distributed. Like the online audience and mostly those who have access to such forums , can watch any amount of rubbish in the name of their favourite jodi . But those who are not attached to the Jodi,try to see it logically and fail when their expectations are not met and quit . So even that may be a good number of people . We may think that if we like a Jodi then the whole world will and the serial runs because of them alone but no..its the story plus execution which should appeal to the mass audience ....

Yesterday itself one of the ekta serials, kzk2 had a episode which was similar to kpk, sandip made a fun of such serials and tv ,that pulled a lot of audience to khkt. Along with a good set up of actors characters and story ,he had a  light hearted serial, due to which khkt settled to 1.8, 1.9 trps. He changed track midway and thought only saas bahu regressive stuff works so he toppled everything he created and expected trpsout of it. It wont happen . People's expectations from khkt and bhagyas or kzk2 r different.  I sympathize with him as his show went off air , it had a lot of potential . But the truth is that the usp of the show was lost somewhere in between and the uniqueness vanished . Still it was good but this is not the first time, a lot of good shows were taken off air as sp is in total experimentation mode..4 or 5 serials have ended n new ones r also being shut down if thy dont give good numbers. Agreed khkt wasnt a limited format show but it's good if its reaching a logical end as it will ruin further if it doesnt. And any point of time the channel ends it , even after 5 yrs, the reaction of some fans would be the same. 

Hey Charu,

I agree with you. But this happens because the target audience is not set right. Unfortunately, there is a huge section in the society who like the family drama and the bechaari bahus. And as a channel, if I'm making money on that, I'll show that. 

But what the channel is missing out here is that there is potential in our segment as well as we can see with the popularity of KHKT. Maybe this is a section of the audience Star and other GECs need to tap into?