Bondita being subjected to Sati

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 4 years ago

Today we'll see the Bondita being forced to be a Sati.

My question is then why Bondita's mother didn't become a Sati? Anyone who knows about this please answer.

It depends on the kind of family they belong to. 

Performing Sati is either the wife's decision or in-laws decision. Bondita's mother wasn't told to perform Sati by her in laws neither she had the will. In case of Bondita , her in laws are forcing her to perform Sati. I guess that's the reason.

Originally posted by made-in-charms

It depends on the kind of family they belong to. 

Performing Sati is either the wife's decision or in-laws decision. Bondita's mother wasn't told to perform Sati by her in laws neither she had the will. In case of Bondita , her in laws are forcing her to perform Sati. I guess that's the reason.

Oh okay but I had heard stories of it being mandatory that's why. Thank you!😊

Maybe one more reason that she was a mother😳

Originally posted by Alexia_Wilson

Maybe one more reason that she was a mother😳

That can be the case too. But it mostly happened if the child is a son because he would support the widowed mother now or in future. But since Bondita is a girl , I don't see it being a reason but definitely a possibility.

Yes, most women who had children did not commit Sati... Primarily because they were needed to bring up any children. 

As I've heard from my grandmother majorly it depends on the inlaws what do they want 

In most of Maharashtra it was a matter of responsibility. If the wife has any additional responsibilities like ailing in-laws or underage children she could not do Sati. For example when Chhatrapati Rajaram died his senior wife who was childless committed Sati, while his other two wives who had underage children stayed to raise the children. His 2nd wife Tarabai ruled as regent on behalf of their young son.