Late Wendell Rodricks on Aishwarya's initial days

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 4 years ago

Ash's Early Days

In one corner of the green room, Aishwarya Rai, Miss India World, was almost in tears. Pre-show nerves were affecting everyone, but Aishwarya had become the target of a group of models who hated her. So vicious were they that their spite—which had begun to show itself in Goa, at the Miss India contest—had forced its way to the Bombay ramp.

All this was over a worthless male model who was courting the then queen of the ramp—she was somehow miffed at the attention Aishwarya was attracting from him.

'Listen,' I told Ash, 'just forget these bitches. You are Miss India. Hold up your head and shine. Ignore them.' Within moments, I saw her pull herself together like the consummate professional. Forcing the hurt away from her grey-green eyes, she braced herself to face the ramp. In the years to come, she would blaze like a comet on the international scene and leave the petty models of Bombay far behind. When she won the Miss World title in Johannesburg, Ash triumphed over all the politics, her star shining brilliantly. Many people think she is cold—an ice goddess. In reality, she is a wonderful, simple girl. Quick to giggle and laugh, she is a good person, grounded, and with strong values. It was her extraordinary beauty and global fame that caused envy and bitterness among others. To Ash goes the credit for opening doors abroad for Indian beauties. Critics may carp, but the Indian presence at Cannes and international advertisements is thanks to Aishwarya Rai.

Malaika's Wedding

On 12 December 1998, I arrived at Malaika Arora's home in Bandra, Mumbai, for a very special occasion. It was her wedding, and I had made the dress. A silver off-shoulder gown with a sheer net skirt. I stuck sequins on the tips of fishing line inserted into the neckline; the sequins would appear to float like twinkling lights around her beautiful face and shoulders.

Wendell with Neeta Lulla and Aishwarya Rai

After an hour-and-a-half of make-up and hair-styling, Malaika was ready to slip on the gown. When she wore it, everything was fine except for the panty line that showed through the tight dress. This, on the most famous butt in the country!

Malaika raised a sexy eyebrow. Typically her! Then, smiling mischievously at my quandary, she said, 'It's okay, Wendell, I will fix it.' I made a mental note to use three layers of lycra the next time we did a fitted gown.

https://www.mid-day.com/articles/wendell-rodricks-in-his-own-words-dressing-up-malaika-arora-for-her-wedding-aishwarya-rais-early-days/22622916