Cross-dressing crossover😔

aquaHP thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Hey guys! I did not think I would ever be making this topic because for one, I have never been an active part of any forum before and secondly, the following opinion has never been given much importance so I have never tried to put it forward.

There are a lot of pictures going around social media of Shaheer and Ritvik in lehengas crashing Mishti's haldi function with people 'ooh'ing and 'aah'ing but most of all, finding it funny. Indian TV has, over the years, had many shows where male actors and comedians have cross-dressed to make a situation funny or just add humour. I have personally never understood why it's funny because if you saw someone like that in real life, you would probably either be scared or really judgemental so why does that evoke laughter when someone does it on-screen?

We, as a society, have either never understood the transgender angle or just trivialised the struggle that transgender people go through in the Indian society to gain laughs on television. 

I know it's an entertainment show and we're not supposed to take it seriously but entertainment comes with its own set of responsibilities because in a country like ours, television and movies hold immense power in propagating views and changing mindsets of people. Audiences do take each and every detail seriously right from something as trivial as hairstyle and clothes to something as serious as concepts of bullying, rape and otherwise. 

I really would hope that the portrayal is not shown as something that is just there to add humour to the situation but I will probably be let down.

Edited by aquaHP - 4 years ago