Unpopular Opinion- Kuhu Edition

Posted: 4 years ago

First of all, hello! My name is Meera, and I have not been active on this forum until recently, but I think you can count on me being a little bit more active as things are ramping up to the MishBir wedding in the show. I've been following this forum closely, and I absolutely love how everyone is analyzing the characters and plotlines, and bringing a depth to the show that I never thought was possible. So thank you!

Moving on, this might make some people mad, but I just thought I should voice my thoughts on this and see what you think:

In my opinion, Kuhu is probably the most accurate representation of a human being on the show. This is not me condoning all of the things she has done so far, or praising her for all of the bad decisions she's made, but me noticing that out of everyone, her character has had the most realistic reactions to the things that have happened  to her. Now hear me out:

- When Mishti moves in as a child, Kuhu immediately goes from being everyone's little princess to having to share the spotlight with a girl that she doesn't even know. It appears that, instead of addressing this right away, Kuhu's family just kind of brushed it off, and assumed that Kuhu would be so accepting of this huge change in her life. This is precisely why Kuhu and Mishti faked being sisters all of those years. Because no one ever bothered to ask Kuhu how she felt about this from the beginning itself (which will come to be a recurring theme throughout the rest of their lives). This is completely natural. If someone completely unknown to you barges into your life one day, and no one explains to you properly as to why, wouldn't you hold a grudge against that person, wondering why you had to share attention from the rest of the family with a stranger?

- Kuhu has a ton of insecurities that have gone completely unaddressed. For one, she found out at a young age that she was an illegitimate child, and she has been subconsciously carrying around the emotional trauma she sustained from that experience ever since. To add to that, her self esteem is again badly hurt when she is rejected by Meenakshi for Kunal, and Mishti is chosen over her. No one bothered to ask Kuhu how she felt about that. Instead, everyone's attention was immediately shifted to Mishti and Kunal . And finally, when the relationship with Kunal bounces back to her, Mishti says that "maine tujhe Kunal bheek mein diya". Although Mishti didn't mean it, and she was saying it under coercion (thanks BB), you don't just forget something like that. It sticks with you, at least subconsciously. This will obviously further fuel Kuhu's dislike for Mishti. 

- When Kuhu's fairytale comes crashing down around her after Kunal screams at her on their wedding night that he doesn't love her, and never will, she is immediately forced to put up a front for everyone, pretending that everything is just dandy. The one man that promised her a way out of an environment in which she was always second to someone, the one man that she loved and cared for deeply, is the same man to yank away all of her dreams from under her feet. This takes a serious emotional toll on her, and instead of dealing with it in a healthy way by talking to someone about it, she takes it out on Mishti, the object of her rage. In Kuhu's eyes, Mishti is responsible for her broken marriage, and while this isn't necessarily true, it boils down to perspective. From Kuhu's POV, Meenakshi and Kunal cheated her only because they wanted to separate Mishti and Abir, reducing Kuhu to just... collateral damage. So naturally, her jealousy and anger bottled up from years past will bubble up and overflow at this point. Again, Kuhu is reduced to a barely-there human being whose emotions are simply not worth caring about.  And to put icing on the cake, Kuhu's marriage is set to expire the day Mishti gets her happily ever after. 

So in conclusion, yes, Kuhu is jealous of Mishti. One hundred percent. I'm not even denying it. But just ask yourself, wouldn't you be jealous too? Isn't it basic human nature to crave attention? To crave love? And when the one person you've known for the longest time and is close to you has all of those things and more without having to even try, wouldn't you feel envious of that?

You've elaborated on Kuhu so perfectly. Hats off, Meera!!👍🏼

Bang on! 

Nobody could have described Kuhu better than you. She is flawed & that's why she is real. Jealousy, insecurities are a part of everyone's life & same is with Kuhu. It's been years she is carrying all these feelings with her.  Kuhu never shared her problems, her worries with anybody unlike Mishti. Whatever her reasons must be but I know if she had someone to talk to, someone to listen to her rant...she could have felt much better. 

You know not only in the show, Kuhu's character is neglected & misunderstood outside the show too. Sometimes I feel she is receiving unnecessary hatred. And now makers are trying to make her villain in MishBir's story, things can get even more worse. Anyways, thanks for this deep analysis.

Very nicely explained👍🏼👏

Very superficially it's easy for everyone to blame, get mad and hate Kuhu for her unpredictable flipping nature. But honestly she too has complex layers as a character that stems from her childhood insecurities like you perfectly pointed out.👏🤗

One thing I would like to clarify is that Mishti was not a stranger to suddenly be brought into the mah house and fam, Kuhu and Mish were good friends when Mish lived with Singhanias. But no doubt I agree with you that Kuhu's feelings mist have been sidelined given mishti's unfortunate parental situation...and hence began to pile on dislile and hatred over the years.

I too wish Kuhu would open up to someone about her problems. As a daughter it's very difficult to express your feelings to your mother which will for sure affect the rest of the family...but if only Varsha and kuhu openly talked things out earlier, Kuhu wouldn't have had to bottle up so much mental stress.

Looking forward to her growth and build of sisters bond🤗😊

I just don’t get one thing. Why is only Kuhu the epitome of “human behavior? Are only jealousy and bitterness human emotions? 

Time and again I ask one thing in this forum that no Kuhu defender seems to have an answer for....is it ok to misbehave with  and berate Mishti to this extent simply because Kuhu perceives that she was neglected at Mishti’s cost? Why not hate the whole Maheshwari family? Why the selective hate only for Mishti? 

If Kuhu is shaped by  not getting pampered princess treatment 24/7 from her family, then so is Mishti by the broken family she came from. So would she also only be “human” only if she spent her whole life being bitter about her real parents abandoning her and her father turning out to be a criminal? Are we only “human” if we stew in jealousy and play victim all our lives? Trying to take personal responsibility is a bridge too far? Such an attitude only leads to a debilitated human being who can never grow. If you only keep making excuses for everything in your life and scapegoating someone, you will be paralyzed in your bitterness all your life. That is what Kuhu is right now. 

Originally posted by AreYaar

I just don’t get one thing. Why is only Kuhu the epitome of “human behavior? Are only jealousy and bitterness human emotions? 

Time and again I ask one thing in this forum that no Kuhu defender seems to have an answer for....is it ok to misbehave with  and berate Mishti to this extent simply because Kuhu perceives that she was neglected at Mishti’s cost? Why not hate the whole Maheshwari family? Why the selective hate only for Mishti? 

If Kuhu is shaped by  not getting pampered princess treatment 24/7 from her family, then so is Mishti by the broken family she came from. So would she also only be “human” only if she spent her whole life being bitter about her real parents abandoning her and her father turning out to be a criminal? Are we only “human” if we stew in jealousy and play victim all our lives? Trying to take personal responsibility is a bridge too far? Such an attitude only leads to a debilitated human being who can never grow. If you only keep making excuses for everything in your life and scapegoating someone, you will be paralyzed in your bitterness all your life. That is what Kuhu is right now. 

Consider me a Kuhu defender if you want but I like all the characters and not just Mishbir. To answer your questions:

1. No, it is not okay for her to misbehave and berate Mishti. There are a lot of things that are not okay but we still say and do questionable things when we are angry. That is what is meant here by human behaviour. I don't know if anyone would call her the epitome of human behaviour but her character has had the most realistic growth in the show till now. Don't know if that will be the case in the upcoming tracks after seeing the recent promo.

2. The selective hatred has only been for Mishti because whenever Kuhu has a loss, Mishti gains around that time. It's not intensional, well maybe by the writers' intension, but it's not intensional on Mishti's part. 

Even though Kuhu has been bitter about sharing things with Mishti, she has always tried to be there for in her weird ways whenever Mishti was upset, be it distracting her mind from her fathers' arrival during Holi by stealing her favourite ice-cream, making brownies for her after Abir broke the rishta with her or telling Abir to stop insulting Mishti.

She hasn't played the victim in any situation as far as I can remember though I may be wrong. She has just wanted to be someone's first priority all this while hiding behind the facade of her kuhuness. 

Originally posted by aquaHP

She hasn't played the victim in any situation as far as I can remember though I may be wrong. She has just wanted to be someone's first priority all this while hiding behind the facade of her kuhuness. 

She literally just last week stated that she HATES Mishti for getting her fairytale and that Mishti is the cause of everything going wrong for her. That is textbook victim playing.....where you think you are the only victim of every situation. Kuhu has a unique ability to negate the pain of others and fixate on whatever didn’t go her way. That is extreme selfishness.....not regular human levels of selfishness. 

What I don’t agree with is the way people make excuses for Kuhu’s misbehavior in this forum making it seem like she is the only one dealing with misfortune in life. Mishti has had plenty of misfortune too but she doesn’t sit and hate Kuhu for being the blood relative instead of an adopted one, does she? I don’t agree with this approach of giving a free pass to wallow in bitterness and hatred of others. I also find it odd that people only have empathy for Kuhu’s “neglect” and none for the girl who is the target of vile hateful words from “family” like Jas and Kuhu. Spreading hate leaves scars. But in defending Kuhu’s loneliness, people forget the hatred she has put out into the world and the impact on Mishti. 

Selective empathy for characters will never help prove an argument....I would have more empathy for Kuhu if people didn’t constantly make excuses for her misbehavior both in the story and in this forum. 

Thanks for sharing this. I see a lot of viewers trying to understand Mishti's perspective so its good to see some fellow viewers trying to assess Kuhu's perspective too. Actually, many viewers on this forum are more understanding vs some other social media, so I am usually happier reading comments here.

And ofcourse, Kuhu has done many things which she should not have - and I am sure no one condones them - but its always good to understand what is driving a character to behave a certain way to actually chart out a growth.

For me, the main problem Kuhu has is her inability to discuss her deepest insecurities with anyone - for the fear of being judged. Kunal was the one person she trusted and he not only misused her insecurities against her but also shattered her heart to pieces. Abir, inadvertently, has been the only who tried to understand and guide her well. He was the one responsible for Kuhu's growth post leap.

I am actually looking forward to the upcoming track and I hope it spills out Kuhu's insecurities in front of her family or at least Abir and Kunal - and they actually help her come out of them, especially Kunal - if he can provide her love and security without judging her - it will really bring about a change in Kuhu.

Originally posted by AreYaar

She literally just last week stated that she HATES Mishti for getting her fairytale and that Mishti is the cause of everything going wrong for her. That is textbook victim playing.....where you think you are the only victim of every situation. Kuhu has a unique ability to negate the pain of others and fixate on whatever didn’t go her way. That is extreme selfishness.....not regular human levels of selfishness. 

What I don’t agree with is the way people make excuses for Kuhu’s misbehavior in this forum making it seem like she is the only one dealing with misfortune in life. Mishti has had plenty of misfortune too but she doesn’t sit and hate Kuhu for being the blood relative instead of an adopted one, does she? I don’t agree with this approach of giving a free pass to wallow in bitterness and hatred of others. I also find it odd that people only have empathy for Kuhu’s “neglect” and none for the girl who is the target of vile hateful words from “family” like Jas and Kuhu. Spreading hate leaves scars. But in defending Kuhu’s loneliness, people forget the hatred she has put out into the world and the impact on Mishti. 

Selective empathy for characters will never help prove an argument....I would have more empathy for Kuhu if people didn’t constantly make excuses for her misbehavior both in the story and in this forum. 

@bold - She didn't say she hated Mishti for getting her fairytale. She said that because she hurt her brother by breaking his heart right before they were to get married even when several people at several instances had asked Mishti if she wanted to go forward with the marriage. It's kind of like the situation where lost after you reach the finale of a competition. You would have felt less pain if you would've been eliminated before rather than at the end. 

It's not selective empathy. The empathy is visible for Kuhu's character because there are so many people hating on her. If they weren't, it would just be a normal discussion on character growth. 

People haven't had to discuss liking Mishti's character saying it's an unpopular opinion because liking her character is the popular opinion. If anyone didn't like her character, then it would be clearly seen.

I don't think anyone has ever supported Jasmeet calling her Muhboli or Kunal insulting her or the mean things that other have said about her character. 

So, what I want to say is that nobody is making excuses for her. We're just discussing fictional characters here and the things we like and dislike about them. Maybe one thread is about Mishti and the other is about Kuhu. Just because a person relates with or likes a character more doesn't mean they hate the other one.

Originally posted by aquaHP

@bold - She didn't say she hated Mishti for getting her fairytale. She said that because she hurt her brother by breaking his heart right before they were to get married even when several people at several instances had asked Mishti if she wanted to go forward with the marriage. It's kind of like the situation where lost after you reach the finale of a competition. You would have felt less pain if you would've been eliminated before rather than at the end. 

So? Was Nishant the only one hurt in that situation? Didn’t Mishti go through a lot of pain and regret too? But it’s justified for Kuhu to only feel her brother’s pain and rant at Mishtu in a venomous fashion? This to me is clearly selective empathy only. Nishant is the one who was supposedly “dumped” by Mishti but Kuhu still managed to make the whole thing about how Mishti ruined HER happiness....mera bhai, meri family...me  me me.....and still people justify that. Waah. Lol 

Anyways, you are clearly not getting my point so I suppose there is no point discussing this further. Please enjoy Kuhu as per your perception of “unpopular opinion”. It’s clearly not worth trying to have rational discussions on this topic here. 

Edited by AreYaar - 4 years ago