Posted: 4 years ago

Loved this movie. Not a single ounce of fat on this lean and mean machine. Felt like I am watching a Hollywood sword and sandal epic like 300, immortals and 300 sequel. The vfx in this are really good barring a few elephant shots. The 3d is well used and accentuates the visuals. 

I would love this to do very well so that Ajay can continue making films on a series of unsung warriors.

Om Raut is really talented and definitely knows how to make a thoroughly entertaining movie with great background music, action, visuals/vfx and emotional scenes.

I would love to see him do a big YRF action movie like WAR2 or even any big budget collaboration with Hrithik. 

Tanhaji - The Unsung Warrior Set To Emerge HIT

Saturday 11 January 2019 17.30 ISTBox Office India Trade Network

Google+ Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Twitter logo link

Tanhaji - The Unsung Warrior is set to emerge a HIT film as it shows a huge turnaround on Saturday in key areas. The film has shown a huge jump in Delhi NCR and East Punjab with collections doubling from the previous day in many centres. Both circuits could be 70-80% from Friday which is a very good sign for the films especially as the other main area Mumbai is strong from day one.

The growth in Mumbai will be less but the film has a good chance to cross the 20 crore nett mark on day two which would mean growth of 40% plus which is very good for this type of film. It is early so collections could go even higher than 20 crore or remain a little lower like yesterday but what is there is a solid trend for the film which will mean a good run at the boxoffice. Tanhaji - The Unsung Warrior should now work outside Maharashtra which was crucial with this huge jump in North but it will be the weekdays which will confirm this.

The other release Chhapaak is poor as the growth will be similar to Tanhaji - The Warrior but considering its a high end multiplex film for metros only and half the screens of Tanhaji - The Unsung Warrior it should be growing more.

The film could hit the 6.50 crore nett mark which is unlikely to be good enough as the first day did not come through. This sort of growth from a 6 crore nett day one could have been a different story altogether. 

As I expected yesterday the movie will do quite well. Anything between19-21crrs will be quite good for Sat.

RAJ BANSAL‏Verified account @rajbansal9

@ajaydevgn s #TanajiTheUnsungWarrior on fire today. Get ready to be surprised with the Day2 figures.

Originally posted by briahna

RAJ BANSAL‏Verified account @rajbansal9

@ajaydevgn s #TanajiTheUnsungWarrior on fire today. Get ready to be surprised with the Day2 figures.

lol you watched it or not yet ?😆

Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior Strong Growth - Chhapaak Struggles

Sunday 11 January 2020 02.00 IST Box Office India Trade Network

Google+ Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Twitter logo link

Tanhaji - The Unsung Warrior has shown strong growth to collect 20 crore nett on Saturday. The Jump for the film is around 40% which is huge for a film which has been releases in almost 4000 screens and opened well in mass pockets of Maharashtra. This will take the two day numbers of the film to 34.50 crore nett and it should be a strong Sunday.

The film has shown huge 60-70% growth where it was low on Friday be it East Punjab, Delhi / UP, or West Bengal. Mumbai has also shown an upward trend as Gujarat / Saurashtra went up 65% though in Maharashtra the growth is less at around 30% as it opened strongly here.

The collections are still average in some circuits as they started to so low but there the trend is super strong with huge gains on Saturday which is a good sign for the film going forward. The film should emerge a HIT going by this trend though that will only be confirmed by what happens on the weekdays.

Chhapaak is poor and has only gone up around 35-40% on Saturday which is not good for a metro multiplex film. The growth is less than Tanhaji - The Unsung Warrior which pretty much tells the story as this film is for that Saturday multiplex audience while Tanhaji - The Unsung Warrior for a wider audience where many places dont grow on Saturday. The second day number is around 6 crore nett taking its two day total to 10.50 crore nett.

The failure of this film will probably put down to the JNU college visit of Deepika Padukone but in reality that has a minimal affect and it is the film which has failed to an attract an audience and the limited audience it has found does not seem to have liked it and that is not much of a surprise. Basically the film is bad and its not an external factor pulling collections down.

Watched it yesterday. Turn out in the hall was good. (Equal or better than other historicals I have watched. BM & PV). I expect, the movie will do similar business in overseas as the other two. (Sorry. I might bring comparisons again in my review). 

Negatives : 

1. VFX. I watched in 2D. Cannot comment how good it was in 3D. But VFX in the beginning scenes (of the battle) was poor. Animals (like elephants) did not look real. 

2. 2nd song (Shankara). Music was underwhelming. Dance steps were weird. Dance has never been Ajay's forte. He could have as well left this song. 

3.  Saif and Kajol's acting. Though Saif is praised a lot, I felt he was poor his fighting sequences. He emoted cruelty on his face very  well. But fighting scenes were not good. 

His expression when four soldiers get hanged suddenly, was the usual confused Saif. I did not get whether the director wanted to portray the villain in devilish shade or comic shade. Also did not understand, why he was holding sword in sharper side and hitting enemies with the handle of the sword. 🤪If I compare Uday Bhan with Khilji, Ranveer portrayed the villain better.

Kajol's acting:  Of course it was not over the top. But she is generally not good at giving subtle, nuanced expressions. She was average. Anyway, there were not many scenes of her. But she did well in the last scene while looking at herself in mirror (if people were patient enough to sit through the credits). On the whole, she did not add any or take away anything from the film. 

Pluses:

1. Story of Tanaji.

A story which gave me goosebumps as a kid. An inspiring and engaging story for any date and any age. Just like Jhansi Ki Rani, it is always a sure shot winner. Even without Ajay (with a good actor), it would have opened comfortably opened (like Manikarnika) around 7 crores. Ajay's star power added the extra crores. 

2. First song: I bet you can't stop humming that war music even after you come out. It is one day since. It is still going on. 

3. Acting of other character actors. Everyone were so refined and apt. But I have to say specially about Sharad Kelkar. His voice, his posture. Again I compared him with Shahid in PV. There many said, Shahid did not get a meatier role. But Sharad's screen time was even less. In spite of that, he could make a mark. 

Just to give an example. When he is standing in Raighad, looking worried about the battle of Sinhghad. There is a similar scene in PV, where Shahid was watching on the top of the fort. This just one scene is enough to say what was Shahid lacking. Royalty. 

It is not the footage that matters, how much you can fill in that space. 

4. Direction.

First time I am watching a movie by this director (Om Raut). He is just fab. 

Movie is not comparable to Bhansali or Gowariker in grandeur. For the same reason, it attracted me. It looked simple and authentic. Be it Tanaji's house or his simple dress (white dhoti). There was no distraction of grand set. There was no dragging romantic track either. Everything was centred around story. 

Yes, sometimes the real story (in a biopic) will be small. Director has to add some extra stories to stretch it to two hours. SLB uses some romantic track as fillers (for example in PV, love story between Ratan Singh and Padmavati). But here, the filler story would be Tanaji finding out a secret passage. This gels so nicely with the story. Screenplay and narration were really good and engaging. Somehow the director did not show the ghorpad (though he mentioned team). I wonder why. 

5. Ajay, Ajay, Ajay

Man, he breaths as Tanaji. So effortless. I have watched JA, BM, PV. Among these, I feel Ajay as Tanaji as the best. Every emotion seems genuine. He shows the vulnerability of a father/husband at home. (His interaction with Kajol was so natural, while Kajol was struggling to tone down her acting). His expression of obedience and loyalty to Shivaji and his mother are so enduring. To top it up, a fearless warrior who does not care for his death till he kills his enemy. 

Quietly he shows what acting is, without ever overacting. He is defenitely one of the finest actors we have and he does full justice to Tanaji. 

6. Rating:

I don't know what else could have been improved. I will give 5 Stars.

A defenite watch for families. 

My main complaint (in abroad) is, why  this film carrying 15 rating (children under 15 not allowed)? 

I know the reason. In the story, Tanaji's hand gets cut in the battle, but he continues to fight. If any blood is shown, it automatically becomes 15. But Dabangg 3 was way more violent, had blood scenes. (It was a typical Prabhudeva movie where the villain kills the male lead's first love brutally). Still it got away with 12A (children can watch with parents). 

Recently War got 15 tag. Bahubali Hindi version had 15 tag. (I watched Tamil version with subtitle, which cut the scene of Bahubali beheading a misbehaving guard). I am watching this strange trend of every popular movie getting 15 certificate but few somehow escaping it. (I wanted to open this concern in the forum as a separate thread). 

Edited by flipfl0p - 4 years ago