Posted: 4 years ago

It's sad for the victims.... I can't even imagine what they must be feeling.... I just hope they don't associate it with society rejecting them....

Originally posted by anjs

It's sad for the victims.... I can't even imagine what they must be feeling.... I just hope they don't associate it with society rejecting them....

That is exactly what is happening, people talk sympathy but reality is harsh,  they rather look away.  It takes a strong stomach and a strong moral conscience to look at the victims and act as if they are completely normal, same as with any handicap...people rather look away.

p.s. people where looking for any excuse to not go see the film and to blame it on some political or other circumstance.  I really could give DP a kick in the butt for giving them one.

Mine from recently seen movies

Originally posted by return_to_hades

Chhapaak

Chapaak is an absolutely tenderly made film loosely based on the life of acid attack victim and activist Laxmi Agarwal. 

The movie begins with Malti struggling to find employment until she finds work at an NGO supporting acid attack victims. Malti's fateful attack, her personal and legal struggles are unfolded in interspersed flashbacks through the movie. In the present-day we see Malti continue to struggle with court dates for justice. 

We also see the development of a relationship with Amol, the founder of the NGO. The contrast to their characters is well executed and they share a subtle chemistry. Amol is bitter, jaded, and cynical. He lets his work overwhelm him, often forgetting that he is not the victim. Malti, on the other hand, has overcome anguish and misery to be a positive person with a sense of humor. She takes every day in stride. As a victim, she knows that celebrating the small things is what keeps them going.

Peppered throughout the story are various incidents and referrals to acid attacks. The movie never lets us get comfortable. It serves frequent reminders of the dire situation and even closes with a gut punch. But it stops from being unbearable. 

The performances are brilliant. Deepika Padukone gives a lovely restrained performance while Vikrant Massey is stellar as usual. How easily he slides into both the shy Shutu and the brash Amol. 

There are two major honest criticisms of the movie. One is that the public service message hampers the cinematic narrative.  It would have been better to focus on one narrative rather than fill in so many references. I agree wholeheartedly. While I have not seen Uyyare yet, its focused character arc has been applauded. While I truly applaud the sentiment of the PSA, it shouldn't distract from good narratives. 

The second criticism is that we never get to know Malti to empathize with her. Who was she? What were her likes/dislikes? What was she like? Why do we care for her or like her?  The most crucial aspect of any movie is that the audience is invested in the protagonist. It doesn't matter if the protagonist is good or evil or if the audience is supposed to root for them or against them. What matters is the audience is invested in them. The movie doesn't really offer much for us to invest in Malti. While I do agree with it, I have been mulling on it. 

One of the biggest problems in our modern society is a lack of empathy. We tend to reserve our empathy for those we know. While horrific crimes do garner a knee jerk reaction of rage, we easily compartmentalize it to the back of our mind and forget about it. Our conscience isn't pricked unless we are served daily reminders. 

Does it matter if we know Malti? Does it make the crime against her less valid? Is a teenager more sympathetic than a woman? Do ambitious women deserve more attention than does who just want to live ordinary lives? Would a sexually active woman be asking for her life to be ruined? My guess is that Meghna Gulzar is trying to have us develop universal empathy. To feel outraged at crimes irrespective of who the victim is and if we know her. Perhaps it does erode cinematic quality. But we are in dire need of learning empathy. 

But then there are people panning the movie for bullshit reasons. Politics is one thing. Then there is the fact that Deepika makes poor PR decisions and invites the ire of audiences. But neither politics nor dislike for a person make a movie bad. 

Its a flawed movie, but its not bad at all. Its perhaps average. Good in many parts, but could have been better. 

I came here to write my review, but return_to_hades said it all. Thank you,

I actually loved the film, flaws and all. It was beautiful in its simplicity. And I love that it was all about women reclaiming the narrative. No one is mocked more than Amol in the film, and even the love story is driven by Malti. Which, btw, I ADORED. Prob my fave love track in recent times. Massey is so, SO, wonderful.

It's sad that the negativity around the film has stopped people from appreciating the good things. Even DP fans seem wary. But it is a film to be proud of. And once time passes, people will forget the brouhaha and just remember the film.

Plus 35 crores is nothing to sneeze at. It might not win any BO fights, but it is a much larger audience than a dry, serious topic like this would typically get. 

Edited by hedwig_fawkes - 4 years ago