Rishbala FF: Balika Badhu- Rewritten & Re-posted

mimibm thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 4 years ago

Dear Rishbalaians, I hope you are are doing well. I came back with one of my old but unfinished FF, Balika Badhu. As the old thread is not active for a very long time, I could not add new chapters to it. Moreover, while reading my old writings i found them to be full of errors, both structural and grammatical. This time I am re-posting the story from the beginning. Some of the sequences will be rewritten as well, although not affecting the overall plot. So, please read and review it. For the old timers it might be a refresher, and for the new timers it will be something new.

Just to remind you again, the backdrop of this story is in the early 1900s, when India was still under British rule. More details about the characters and the backdrop will be revealed gradually. I hope you all will like it and let me know of your opinions. 

Love you all.

......................................................................................................................................................................

Chapter 1

A narrow dinghy boat sailed through the dark gray waves of the Padma river. The heavy monsoon rains had added volume enormously to an already massive river. Strong winds made the white sail flutter, and sway the boat precariously.

“Ma, hold on to the side of the boat firmly,” said Rishabh,as the boat started swaying more in the big waves created by a passing bigger boat.

Radharani Devi, Rishabh’s mother, was already tired from along train journey the night before. She was not at all comfortable with this boat ride. But it was the only way to reach Shimulpur, their destination. She looked at her son with naked fright on her face. But he turned his face away with nonchalance after ascertaining her safety.

Rishabh Kumar Mukhopadhyay was the only son of Kolkata’s famous barrister Sri Mohanchand Mukhopadhyay, who had passed away the year before. Mukhopadhyay family was a renowned family in the upper-class circle of the Bengali society of the time, both for their wealth and accomplishments. Their palatial residence was located at the outskirts of Kolkata, away from the bedlam of the big city.

Rishabh was 20, studying medicine in Calcutta Medical College; only a year left before he would get his MBBS degree. He lived at the college hostel in Kolkata near his college, as daily commuting from their home would be tiresome.

Radharani was left alone after her husband’s demise. Although her husband’s loyal employees looked after their property and lands efficiently, and a train of maids and servants were at her beck and call, she missed companionship in their huge mansion. Rishabh was away from home for most of the time. He came home twice a month, and spent most of his time studying locked inside their library. She prayed that soon her son would grace her with a daughter in law, who would be able to fill the void in her life.

It seemed god had heard her pleas and approved her wishes. Two weeks back she had received a letter from her childhood friend Padmini. They had grown up together at their ancestral home. After Radha’s marriage in Kolkata, Padmini got married to a school teacher in Shimulpur. Life had somehow taken different paths for these two close friends and they had lost touch. Receiving Padmini’s letter after so many years surprised had Radha and moved her to tears.

Padmini’s letter said that she too had lost her husband about one and a half years back. After his death, their financial condition had dwindled drastically. Her only daughter was now 14 years old, very much eligible for marriage. But due to her financial condition, she was unable to give her daughter’s hand to any decent suitor and feared it would be too late if nothing was done soon. Finding no other way but resorting to her only reliable friend, she had requested Radharani to provide her some support to get out of this crisis.

Radha could not help beaming in joy for one week after receiving the letter, contemplating her noble idea of rescuing her childhood friend from this crisis by offering Rishabh’s marriage proposal for Padmini’s daughter. Padmini was extremely beautiful and comely as her memory reminded Radha,and undoubtedly her daughter would resemble her in appearance and nature.

However, Radha’s confidence was not that unwavering when it came to Rishabh’s consent in this marriage. Previously, whenever she had tried to bring up the topic of marriage in their conversation, Rishabh had somehow dodged his way out, or plainly refused to hear about it. So, this time Radha decided to play it in a smarter way. Two days back Rishabh received a message that his mother was seriously ill. He rushed back home to find out it was just another marriage trap for him, which he was definitely not ready to surrender to. But on his mother’s incessant insistence, he begrudgingly agreed to accompany her to Shimulpur, and meet Padmini and her daughter. And this boat ride was the last ordeal they had to go through before reaching their destination.

“Babu, we have reached Shimulpur ghat,” hollered the boatman.

As the boat touched the pier, Rishabh held his mother’s hand and helped her step on the land. It was all muddy, with small pools of water at every step. Rishabh carefully stepped forward while balancing the suitcase in one hand and his mother’s hand in the other. Suddenly his left foot missed a step and he slipped on the mud. Luckily Radharani grasped his shirt in time and saved him from falling.

Rishabh’s awkward posture earned peals of laughter from some village boys who were playing nearby. But the most prominent sound of laughter came from a girl standing behind those boys, who clutched her stomach and squealed in laughter while pointing at Rishabh, making him red in anger and embarrassment.

Radha looked at them with displeasure, and called out one of the boys, “Hey you, come here.”

One lanky boy came in front, scared seeing Rishabh’s annoyed expression.

“Can you take us to the Shyamananda master’s house?” asked Radha.

The said boy nodded his head, a bit unsurely and stepped forward.

“Great! Now we have one less person to share our mangoes with,” spoke out the girl gleefully and started climbing on a big mango tree beside the pier.

Rishabh had never seen girls of that age, or of any age for that matter, to be so unruly and uncouth. He stared in utter amazement as the girl reached the topmost branch in no time and started shaking and dropping the ripe mangoes to the boys waiting below eagerly.

“Shameless girl, I wonder how unfortunate her parents would be to have such an indocile child,” chided Radharani while shaking her head in resignation.

Rishabh noticed the sad look on the face of the little guide in front, as he had missed the opportunity of relishing those juicy mangoes. After walking for about 10 minutes, they reached a walled house with thatched roof.

“O Maa, Radha, you are here!! Why didn’t you inform me that you are coming today with your son?’ exclaimed Padmini as she opened the door to her unannounced guests.

Rishabh narrowed his eyes and turned to Radha. It seemed it was not only him who was being burdened by the whims of his mother.

“But…but I had already written you a letter last week informing about our arrival,” stammered Radha.

“It must be due to the rains, the postal service is delayed in this time. But do not worry, please come in my little abode. I am so fortunate to have you as my guests today!!” replied Padmini gleefully.

Soon Rishabh and Radha freshened up and settled in. Padmini started preparing a hot meal for them.

“Padmini, where is your daughter? I don’t see her anywhere inside,” asked Radha.

“Umm, she has gone to her friend’s place. She will be back anytime soon,” replied Padmini when a shrill cry came from the front yard of the house.

Both Radha and Rishabh were startled and rushed out to see what the commotion was about. To their bewilderment, the girl whom they had seen climbing the tree stood on the yard, grasping hair of a thin boy in one hand and few mangoes in the other.

“Khuri Ma (aunty), see Didi is not giving me my share of mangoes,” cried the boy while struggling to free his hair.

“Shut up, you liar! These are all mine, I climbed up the trees to fetch them. Now get lost, else I will uproot all the hair from your head,” warned the girl.

“Madhu! Leave him right now and give him his mangoes,”shouted Padmini panicked.

“But Ma...” protested Madhu.

“Leave him and come inside right now!”

Padmini’s face turned red in shame as she noticed the shock on Radha and Rishabh’s face. Madhu reluctantly gave away the mangoes to the boy who fled from the spot immediately. She glowered at her mother and turned to the guests who were silently witnessing the scene so far. Padmini signaled her to touch the feet of Radha and Rishabh.

“It’s ok my dear, god bless you,” said Radha as she hesitantly touched Madhu’s head.

Rishabh stepped back seeing her come near.

“No need, you don’t have to touch my feet,” said Rishabh and saw two large doe-eyes looking at him with awe.

For the first time he noticed her so close. Her dishevelled hair strands, falling on her face from all over, her crumpled saree, smeared with dirt and mud, her cheeks flushed out of colour; a unique rustic look that he had never seen in girls of his urban circle. Unknowingly a smile crept at the corner of his mouth as he recollected her tree climbing with expertise.

“Rishu, come here one moment,” called Radha, who had gone inside the room already.

As Rishabh approached her, she whispered, “I am really sorry dear. I had no idea that Padmini’s daughter would be such an unruly brat.She is not fit to be your bride. We will go back to Kolkata tomorrow morning itself.”

Padmini wiped her tears with the end of her saree. She had always known that God was not with her. Every time happiness knocked at her door, something ominous followed. But seeing her childhood friend with her godly son at her doorstep had given her that this time everything would be alright, her daughter would be married to the most coveted family of Kolkata and live her life like a queen.

“Don’t cry Padmini, I am feeling very sad for you. But try to understand, Madhu and Rishu are no match at all. Moreover, she is so restless, how she will take care of our huge household?” asked Radha while trying to console her.

Padmini nodded her head and said, “Madhu’s father fell sick when Madhu was very young. I was always busy nursing him, so could not give her proper time and attention. She was literally brought up in the neighbouring houses, and that’s why I failed to teach her lady-like manners.”

Radha held her hands in her palms and said, “I will help you, Padmini. I will send you money and look for a suitable groom for her in Kolkata.”

“Thanks Radha. But it seems you will not be able to leave tomorrow morning. Due to the heavy rain all evening the boat service has been stopped for a day or two. Take rest here till the weather improves” said Padmini wiping her tears.

Radha thought about the swaying boat crashing against the huge waves.

“No problem Padmini, I guess it would be better if we stay back for a couple more days,” she agreed.

Rishabh sat on the kitchen floor while Padmini served his dinner on a big round brass plate, surrounded by 5-6 smaller bowls of vegetables and fish curries. Radha sat at a distance talking to one old lady from the neighbour’s house.

“Madhu, bring the bowl of dal for Rishabh,” ordered Padmini.

Madhu was being glared upon and ridiculed by her mother since late afternoon, the cause of which was completely unknown to her.Something related to these guests from the city was amiss, but she had no clue what it was. She followed her mother’s instruction and fetched the bowl from the unoon (earthen oven). The bowl was too hot for her little hands so by the time she brought it in front of Rishabh, she tried placing it down in hurry and some of the dal dropped over Rishabh’s hand. Madhu’s face fell in fear and she closed her eyes. Luckily Padmini was talking to Radha and did not see her callousness. Madhu was expecting a sharp pinch or a blow on her head from her mother but after waiting for few seconds when nothing like that happened, she opened her eyes slowly.

“Kichchu hoyeni (nothing happened),” whispered Rishabh and gave an assuring smile to her.

Madhu jumped up and ran out of the kitchen.

“Did you enjoy the meal my son?” asked Padmini as she was clearing the plate and the bowls.

“Yes Mashima (aunty), every item was delectable,” said Rishabh while relishing the bowl of kheer and smiling.

His eyes spotted a nimble figure playing hide and seek from behind the kitchen door with him. He wondered what could be the reason that made a restless girl like Madhu to be so shy to come in front of him. As he went out of the kitchen to wash his hand, Madhu came near with a small jug of water and started pouring on his hands.

“Aaah!” exclaimed Rishabh with a grimace as the water touched the skin where the dal was spilt.

“Is it still burning?” asked Madhu in panic.

Rishabh’s face broke in a wide smile, and said, “Not at all. I was joking.”

Madhu looked at him with wide eyes and ran away.

Edited by mimibm - 4 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

soniakhanna01 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail

It's wonderful

Continue soon

coderlady thumbnail
Most Comments (2023) 1 Thumbnail Most Comments (July 2023)  1 Thumbnail + 8

Responsibility started at a young age in those days. A 14 year old is still a kid these days.

pirl18 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail

I remember this story n i hv read it before too..but i don't remember its end..

Thanks for reposting dear..

mimibm thumbnail

Thanks Sonia, Coderlady and Pirl for your comments😊 and also all the readers. 

Edited by mimibm - 4 years ago
mimibm thumbnail

Chapter 2

Next morning the clouds were darker and poured down more heavily. Madhu was most upset in the house with this heavy downpour. Had it been any other day, she would have wreaked havoc in the mango gardens with her gang. But her mother’s strict instruction to behave these two days made her feel like a prisoner under house arrest.

By afternoon, the rain almost stopped. Rishabh was sleeping in a smaller room while Radha and Padmini were taking rest in the adjoining bigger room. Suddenly, something hard dropped on his face and he jumped up.

“Madhu Didi? Where are you? Won’t you come with us today?”whispered a voice from outside the window.

Rishabh felt a small unripe mango on his face, which was thrown on him thinking him to be Madhu. As he stood up and approached the window, he saw the same little boy standing outside, with whom Madhu was fighting the day before. As if on cue, he felt her entering his room in tip-toes and standing behind him.

“Hey Poltu, what are you doing here? I can’t go out today. Ma has warned me not to. Get lost now,” spoke Madhu in a low voice.

Rishabh felt bad for her.

“You go with Poltu, I won’t tell Mashima,” said Rishabh.

Madhu’s mouth gaped wide in amazement. This urban man was very strange in his ways, very unlike the boys of her village.

“Joldi didi, we will be back soon,” said Poltu excitedly.

As Madhu turned towards the door Rishabh grabbed her hand, to his own surprise, and said, “Bring two mangoes for me too.”

“Thik ache (OK),” replied Madhu and ran away.

“Where is this girl? Oh god, why does she have to be so adamant all the time?” exclaimed Padmini as she found Madhu missing.

Rishabh could not do anything to save her, as it was more than an hour that she was gone and both their mothers had woken up from their siesta. He thought of diverting their mind a little.

“Mashima, this village looks very beautiful. Can I go for a walk around? I won’t go much far,” he said.

“But son, you do not know the directions here, you will get lost,” said Padmini.

“Let him go, he must be bored sitting inside all the day.But Rishu be careful. Don’t go very far,” said Radha.

Beauty of rural Bengal was always mesmerizing. Strikingly lush green filled up the landscape and faded gradually into the dark blue sky, which was interspersed with grey clouds, waiting for another ceaseless downpour to follow. An earthy smell filled the air, intoxicating Rishabh’s mind as he took a deep breath. He carefully stepped on the muddy paths and strolled through the village.

He was passing by a huge garden when he heard a familiar voice bickering with someone. He followed the noise and soon found Madhu threatening the same little boy, with her hands on her hip and big rounded eyes.

“I told you I will not climb the tree today, else Ma will break my bones, I swear,” warned Madhu.

“But Didi, these mangoes are the best ones in the entire village. If we do not get them today, other boys will come and get them all,” whined Poltu.

“May I help you?” chipped in Rishabh.

Madhu and Poltu got startled hearing his voice.

“Will you climb the tree and get us the mangoes?” asked Poltu, after gathering some courage.

Rishabh studied the tree and replied, “I won’t have to climb. I can hold you up and you can pull the mangoes on your own.”

Before Madhu could say anything, she saw Poltu raising his hands up, signaling Rishabh to lift him. Poltu managed to pick few mangoes from the nearest branch as Rishabh hoisted him up more. There was another branch with several mangoes, riper and juicier, but just beyond his reach. Being greedy as always, Poltu suggested Rishabh to hoist up Madhu instead of him, as Madhu was few inches taller than him. Madhu, without thinking through, agreed to the new plan and stood in front of Rishabh, expecting him to hoist her up.

Rishabh hesitated for a moment, then wrapped his hands around her waist carefully and hauled her up. Madhu grabbed his shirt collar to keep her balance. As she tried to reach the mangoes, her bosom kept on brushing Rishabh’s face and both of them, for the first time, felt a strong yet unknown sensation. Ignoring that, she somehow succeeded in amassing several ripe mangoes and decided to stop for the day.

As Rishabh brought her down on the ground, their faces inched closer, and for the first time, Madhu realized their proximity. A current passed through her spine. Their eyes were locked for a seemingly never-ending moment until interrupted by an excited voice of Poltu.

“Didi, I am taking my share and going home. It’s already too late,” and he fled off.

Both Rishabh and Madhu felt very awkward at this unintended privacy they were provided, and without any word started to head back home before it was too late.

On their way back, Madhu took a shortcut through the mango garden and Rishabh followed her silently. Madhu’s hands were full of mangoes and suddenly her foot slipped in a puddle of muddy water. She could not keep her balance and was about to fall on her face, when Rishabh grabbed her from behind and prevented the fall. Madhu froze, feeling him so close, with his uneven warm breath on her nape that sent a chill through her spine.

They stood stuck there for few moments which seemed more like ages; both bewildered by the strange things happening between them. Suddenly, a sharp hooting by a bird flying above their head brought them back in senses. Madhu freed herself from his clutch and ran towards the end of the garden without looking back.

Madhu ran as fast as possible and reached home. Padmini and Radha were chatting at the courtyard with few other neighbours and saw her rushing in.

Padmini called out, “Come here, Madhu. Where were you? Didn’t I ask you repeatedly to stay back home?”

She went after Madhu with her hand raised to hit her.

“Padmini, don’t!!” warned Radha, and signaled her not to create any scene in front of the neighbours.

Madhu tiptoed inside the house, with her head drooped down.

Rishabh entered the house a bit later, and seeing all the ladies together, he hurriedly walked towards the well and started washing off mud from his feet.

Then he hesitantly approached his mother and said, “Ma, khide peyeche (Mom, I am hungry).”

Radha and Padmini took leave from the other ladies and hurried to the kitchen to prepare his dinner.

Rishabh was very confused with himself. Whatever he had done for Madhu was only because he found her very childish and amusing; then why were those moments of proximity creating havoc in his mind and heart? He was not even thinking of her as his prospective bride, because his mother had out-rightly rejected that notion already. Then why his mind kept on playing the moments when he had held her close over and over again?

As Padmini called him to the kitchen for dinner, he looked around to catch a glimpse of Madhu, and after not seeing her anywhere nearby he felt disappointed. On her for not being around, and on himself for missing her like that.

He had his dinner quietly and heard his mother speak, “It’s good that the rain has stopped. We will leave early morning tomorrow. I will send you the money when we reach back and let you know whenever I get some suitable marriage proposal for Madhu.”

Padmini nodded her head in agreement and heaved a sigh. Rishabh finished his dinner and went out to wash his hands. Still there was no sign of Madhu nearby. He went to bed soon as they were to leave early next morning.

Next morning Radha and Rishabh took leave from Padmini.

“Where is Madhu?” asked Radha.

“She is still sleeping. Last night she was not feeling well and stayed awake quite late,” replied Padmini.

“Convey my aashirwaad to her. Chol, Rishu, we will be late for the boat.”

Rishabh was very silent all his way to the pier. As they passed the mango garden, all the moments from last evening flashed in front of his eyes. He felt hurt. He felt angry. Why couldn’t Madhu come once and say goodbye? He knew that she deliberately avoided being in front of him. Couldn’t she even bother to bid him farewell for the last time?

Rishabh promised himself while getting on the boat that he would never come back to this village again, never think of that girl who did not care to see him once before leaving. Yet, as the boatman started rowing and the boat left the pier, his restlessness grew and he kept staring behind, hoping to see her once before leaving for ever.

Madhu woke up with a headache. She had been unable to sleep the night before. Every time she tried to close her eyes, she could feel him around and that strange sensation perturbed her to her wit’s end. She had grown up with boys, played with them, but never felt like this before with anyone. Fearing others could see through her agitation, she tried to stay away from everyone the previous night.

As she walked out of the room to freshen up, she felt a strange silence around.

“Ma, ora kothay (where are they)?” she asked Padmini.

“They left. They went back to Kolkata,” retorted Padmini.

Madhu stood there stupefied, suddenly feeling a strange urge to see Rishabh once before he left Shimulpur. Without paying any heed to her mother, she ran out of the house towards the pier. On seeing the river nearer she paused to catch her breath. As she walked gingerly towards the pier, she could see a boat going far into the river, looking like a small plaything floating in the mighty grey water. Suddenly, she felt very weak and had to lean against a big mango tree. A lone tear rolled down her cheek, and before she could stop it, another followed.

…………….

Bipin babu, the accountant of the Mukhopadhyay family, brought the monthly accounts report to Radha for her signature.

“Bipin babu, have you sent the money to Shimulpur, as I had asked?” asked Radha.

“Ha Ma Thakuran, I have sent the money already,” replied Bipin.

“Tell me something, your son has completed his studies, hasn’t he?”

“Are you talking about Mukundo? Yes, he has passed college and has joined as a clerk at the government services,” said Bipin proudly.

“Have you thought about his marriage?” asked Radha eagerly.

“Oh yes, we have started looking for a suitable match for him,” replied Bipin.

“I have a very good proposal for him. My friend Padmini in Shimulpur is looking for a suitable groom for her daughter Madhushree. She is a bit childish, not much refined for her age, but I am sure she will grow as a good homemaker once married in a respectable household like yours,” said Radha, trying to convince Bipin with all effort.

“Ma Thakuran, if you say so, surely she will be the best match for my Mukundo. I will send a letter to Padmini Devi and try to fix this matrimony as soon as possible.”

…………..

“Hey Madhu Didi, come out to play. Why are you sitting inside?” asked Poltu while peeping through the window.

“Ja bhaag, I am not going anywhere to play,” replied Madhu with annoyance.

She had suddenly shrunk herself from her social circle of friends and neighbours. To Padmini’s surprise she hardly went out of the house these days.

“What happened to you Didi? Why do you look so sad?” enquired Poltu.

“Kichchu hoyeni amar, jabi tui (nothing has happened to me,will you go or not)?”

Madhu saw Padmini rushing to her with a letter in her hand.

“Madhu, Radha Didi has sent a very good proposal for you from Kolkata. The boy works in government office in Kolkata. They want the wedding to be by the end of this month. She has sent money for all the preparation. Oh god, thank you so much!! Madhu, I am going to the temple now. I am so happy that things are looking better again,” said Padmini gleefully and rushed out.

Madhu was dumbfounded for few moments after her mother left.

“Didi, are you going to get married?” asked Poltu.

Madhu could not reply. She just hid her face in her palms and felt an upsurge of tears from within.

………..

Rishabh came home after two weeks of his classes. This was the first time when he had to struggle with his studies. He could not concentrate in anything after coming back from Shimulpur. A pair of doe-eyes kept on haunting him, day and night. His friends had started making fun of him, seeing him day dreaming at the lecture theater.

“Chhoto babu, why didn’t you inform you are coming home today? I could have come to the station,” said a servant.

“Where is Ma?” asked Rishabh.

“Ma Thakuran is busy making preparations for the wedding,”replied the servant.

“Whose wedding?” questioned Rishabh.

“Bipin babu’s son Mukundo. The wedding is next week,” informed the servant.

Rishabh headed towards Radha’s room, while mulling over Radha’s involvement in Mukundo’s wedding.

“Ma,” called out Rishabh, on entering Radha’s room.

“O ma, Rishu, you’ve come! It’s very good that you have come today. I need your help son. Tell me which of these sarees would look best,” said Radha and pointed towards various colourful and gorgeous sarees, all strewn over her bed.

“Who is it for?” asked Rishabh in confusion.

“It is for our Madhu re, Mukundo’s would be bride,” said Radha contentedly.

Rishabh froze hearing those words.

“What? Madhu’s wedding is fixed? With Mukundo? When did this happen?” asked Rishabh agitatedly.

“I spoke to Bipin babu about Madhu, and he agreed for this proposal readily. Isn’t it good Rishu? Padmini would be so pleased to see her daughter get married to Mukundo. Madhu will be very happy with him,” replied Radha with a smile.

Rishabh felt helpless and agitated. He could not contain his emotion any longer and blurted out.

“No Ma, it is not good, not at all good. She will not be happy with Mukundo. She can never be happy with him.”

“Why Rishu? Why are you saying that? I know she is naughty and unruly, but I am confident that Mukundo will calm her down in no time.”

Rishabh realized that his mother was poles apart from his viewpoint.

“Ma, I want to marry her. I don’t want her to marry Mukundo,or any other man for that matter,” exclaimed Rishabh.

Radha’s face blanched hearing his words. She tried to make a coherent sentence but failed to do so. After a few moments she managed to speak.

“Have you lost your mind, Rishu? How could you think of her as your suitable match? How can an uncouth girl like her fit in our Mukhopadhyay household? Didn’t you see her unruly demeanor during our visit?”

“Ma, if she is that unacceptable, then how would she be suitable for Mukundo or anyone else? She is childish, but given an opportunity I know she will learn and adapt to the lifestyle of this house. Please Ma, I want to marry her. Don’t make her marry anyone else. Please, Ma. I beg you,”pleaded Rishabh.

Radha felt dizzy and tried to steady herself by holding on the bedpost.

“I shouldn’t have taken you with me to Shimulpur. That girl has bewitched you, my innocent son. And now she will come and ruin my household. I will never let it happen, Rishu. Not as long as I am alive,” warned Radha.

Rishabh looked at his mother bewildered, and then spoke firmly.

“If that is your wish, then let it be. But if this wedding happens, then I will never come back home again.”

He walked out of the room, leaving his mom angry and befuddled.

………..

Padmini ran from one room to another, trying to oversee the wedding preparations.

“O Biku, have you brought the flower garlands? I do not want anything to go missing during the marriage ceremony,” she exclaimed in panic.

“Don’t worry Mashima, everything is in place. You go and sit with Madhu. She will go far away from you after marriage,” said the young man while helping with the chores.

Padmini suddenly realized the truth of his words and rushed to the backyard where the ladies surrounded Madhu applying haldi on her. Padmini looked at her daughter’s face with teary eyes. Being widow she could not participate in the rituals of her only daughter’s marriage. But she heartily blessed Madhu from a distance and wiped away her tears.

In the evening, the girls giggled and nudged Madhu while she waited for the groom to arrive. She was adorned in a beautiful red saree and red cheli (dupatta worn over the head), with the white head gear and flower garlands tied to her hair bun. Padmini put on gold ornaments on her with utmost care, and marveled at her daughter’s beauty.

Suddenly there was big noise outside.

“The groom has arrived! The groom has arrived!”

Padmini rushed out to see the groom’s men entering the gate. Madhu’s aunt approached the groom with the aarti thali to welcome him. All the ladies ululated and blew conch shells to greet the auspicious moment.

The purohit (priest) asked the groom to sit at the marriage mandap and began the rituals. After the initial round of mantra chantings and tributes to the departed souls of both the families, the purohit asked to bring the bride to the mandap. Four men brought out Madhu from inside on a small pidhi (a thick wooden plank, rectangular in shape).

Madhu’s face was covered with two betel leaves that she held firmly. She was carried around the groom seven times before coming to a stop. The ladies started cheering and laughing in excitement and asked both the bride and the groom to look into each other’s eyes for ‘shubho drishti’. Madhu’s friends nudged her from behind to remove the betel leaves from her face.

“Arrey mukh tule dekh ekbar (lift your face and look once),” said a giggling girl.

Madhu slowly lowered the leaves and looked up.

“You?” gasped Madhu, seeing the face of her groom.

“Why? Were you expecting someone else?” replied Rishabh with a naughty smirk. 

coderlady thumbnail

That was quick. Married already. How did they pull off switching the groom?

soniakhanna01 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail

Wonderful drar

Dil kush ho gaya aj to

You are too good make my day happy 😍😍😍😍

Thank you do much dear

mimibm thumbnail

Chapter 3

“Omaa Padimini sister, your son-in-law is just like a rajputtur (prince)!!” exclaimed an elderly lady, while blessing both the bride and groom after the wedding rituals were completed.

Padmini stood frozen at the corner of the mandap, her eyes protruding out in shock.

Your daughter is too restless and uncouth. I cannot accept her as my Rishu’s bride,” were the words of Radha, and they kept on ringing in her ears.

She could visualize her daughter’s fate in the Mukhopadhyay household, and an icy coldness crept down her spine. But how did this happen? She had to ask Rishu, before anyone else spilled the beans in front of the villagers.

The newly-weds were led to the living room after the elders blessed them and busied themselves with food. Madhu was befuddled with the turn of events. She stealthily looked at Rishabh from under her veil.

Rishabh smiled warmly and whispered, “Aren’t you really happy to see me?”

Madhu blushed and lowered her eyes, unable to meet his naughty eyes. After most of the guests left, Rishabh’s friends who had accompanied him to the wedding all surrounded the bride and the groom for the ‘bashor’. Padmini tiptoed inside and called Rishabh hesitantly.

“Yes, Mashima (aunty),” replied Rishabh.

“Arrey, she is your Ma now, no more Mashima,” interjected one of Madhu’s aunt.

“Yes, Ma,” said Rishabh shyly and followed Padmini in the adjoining room.

Padmini hesitated before speaking, but finally managed to blurt out.

“What are you doing here Rishabh? What happened to Mukundo?And what about Radha didi? How did she agree to all these?”

Rishabh’s smile vanished from his face, and he lowered his head.

“Rishabh? Tell me the truth. I need to know everything,” urged Padmini grabbing Rishabh’s hands.

“I told Ma that I wanted to marry Madhu. She was a bit upset, but then she agreed.”

“And Bipin babu, Mukundo?”

“I explained them that I had already decided to marry Madhu, so they did not raise any question,” replied Rishabh, without meeting her eyes.

Radha had been out of her wits, seeing her son’s stubbornness for Madhu. She cried for two days, without having a morsel of food. Rishabh had not left for Kolkata, but he refused to come in front of her. Finally, she had to summon Bipin babu.

“I do not know how to divulge this to you Bipin babu,” faltered Radha.

“Ma Thakuran, tell me without any hesitation. What is bothering you?” asked Bipin babu, concerned.

“This wedding cannot happen,”blurted Radha.

“Why Ma Thakuran? Is there any problem?”

“Rishu, my Rishu wants to marry Madhu now. I did not know he liked her after meeting her,” cried Radha.

Bipin’s face blanched.

After some moments of silence,he said, “Please don’t cry Ma Thakuran. If Chhoto babu has decided to marry that girl, let it be. Don’t feel bad. This kind of misunderstandings can happen.”

He let out a breath of relief,once he came out of Radha’s sight. Thank god, this thing came up before the wedding; else his family would be scandalized, with the Chhoto babu eyeing his daughter-in-law.

Rishabh was too happy to know about the scenario. In one day he made all arrangements, summoned his classmates and set sail for the wedding.

Something did not feel right, thought Padmini, but seeing Rishabh’s resolution she wanted to believe in him.

“My daughter is not refined enough. Will you be able to accept her as your life partner Rishabh?” asked Padmini, her voice choking with emotion.

“Trust me Ma. I will keep her happy and she will grow up as a perfect grahini. She is my wife, she will get all the respect and adoration she deserves,” replied Rishabh, this time looking straight in Padmini’s eyes.

When Rishabh returned to the ‘bashor’ he could not see Madhu.

“She was feeling sleepy, so she went to her mother’s room,”said one of her friends.

Rishabh frowned a little. He had thought after their wedding Madhu would open up a bit more to him. Reluctantly he joined his friends and spent the night with them.

……………………

Next morning the relatives gathered at Padmini’s home to bid farewell to the groom. Madhu was supposed to stay with her mother for the next two months, as Rishabh’s annual examinations were due that time. After his exams, he would come to take his bride to Kolkata. By that time, Padmini hoped to teach her daughter some lady-like ways.

Rishabh wanted to meet his wife in privacy once before leaving. But it was Madhu who was still too shy to come in front of him. Already he had spent the most boring ‘bashor’ of his life without his bride with him last night. After waiting for some time, he decided to look for her himself. He sneaked in Padmini’s room and saw Madhu getting ready for the rituals before his departure. She did not notice him coming inside. As she tried to wind the saree around her, two hands encircled her waist from behind and turned her to face him.

“You?” gasped Madhu.

“Yes, me, your husband. I am going back to Kolkata. Didn’t you feel like meeting me once before I left?” asked Rishabh, while leaning over her slowly.

Madhu blushed red, but did not reply.

“If you do not want to see me, I will never come back here to take you with me,” he spoke with a stern face.

“No!” replied Madhu, panicked.

Rishabh smirked seeing her flummoxed face. Before she could react, Rishabh planted a soft kiss on her forehead. Then making her blush even more,he left the room.

……………….

Rishabh was very restless in the final days of his examinations. He just wanted it to get over as soon as possible. Whenever he looked outside the window from his classroom, he could see the fluffy white clouds floating in the clear blue sky. The meadows were full of ‘kans phool’ (a white fluffy flower), a symbol of autumn and Durga puja, due in few days. His dreamed of the day when he would go to Shimulpur to bring back his Madhu to the Mukhapadhyay mansion.

“Rishabh, are you with us?” called out the British professor, seeing his inattentiveness.

His classmates snickered and winked at him, knowing very well about his restlessness.

“Yes sir,” replied Rishabh embarrassed, and started jotting down his answers.

…………………..

Padmini stared at her daughter who was trying hard to grind the poppy seeds in a smooth paste. Madhu had never ever played with toy utensils in her childhood like other girls, thus, when she was made to learn the nitty-gritty of kitchen work for the past two months, she had a very difficult time. Padmini had set a strict routine of household chores for her, and she reluctantly followed her mother’s order.

“If you cannot do even this, then Radha didi will throw you out of her house in less than a month.”

It was a threat she heard every time she failed to do the job with perfection.

Only respite for Madhu were the two hours in the afternoon, when Padmini took a nap. Although she did not run with her vagabond friends anymore, but Poltu religiously came by her window and gave her updates about what all was happening in the village.

“Madhu didi, are you going to Kolkata for the Durga puja?”asked Poltu on one such occasion.

“Who told you?” asked Madhu in return.

“I heard my mother say that this Durga puja your husband will take you to Kolkata for the puja, and next year you will be with us again, with your...” paused Poltu.

“With what?”

“Your son,” said Poltu and giggled.

Madhu’s cheeks reddened hearing his words.

“I will break your head if you say such rubbish things again. Go away and don’t show me your face again,” said Madhu and ran away from the window.

………………………..

As the days of puja approached, Padmini became more and more anxious. She feared Radha might succeed this time in stopping her son from coming for Madhu. Then her daughter’s fate would be doomed forever. But two days before Mahalaya, she received a letter from Rishabh which said he would becoming on Mahalaya. All these days Padmini had been restless to see her daughter go off to her in-laws, but after receiving the letter she knew she would miss her daughter a lot after her departure. So instead of burdening Madhu with loads of chores, Padmini let her rest for the last two days in her paternal home. Madhu was 15 already. These two months had enhanced Madhu’s beauty and health conspicuously, as she had been indoors, out of the sun, and eating well.

Rishabh arrived early in the morning and after having lunch he asked Padmini for leave, as he wanted to go back the same day. Madhu had a tearful farewell from her mother, relatives and friends. Half of the village assembled at the pier to bid her adieu, all teary-eyed and choked with emotions. Madhu kept on looking at them from the retreating boat. Tears rolled down her cheeks uncontrollably, when she felt a soft yet firm hold on her shoulder, trying to console her.

“We will come back whenever you feel like coming,” assured Rishabh.

“I don’t want to leave,” cried Madhu.

Rishabh smiled and said, “Ok, I will bring you back. But shouldn’t you see your new home first? I am sure you will love it as much as Shimulpur.” Madhu turned her face away, as she did not want to believe him.

Madhu’s welcome in Mukhopadhyay mansion was grand. All the relatives had gathered to catch the first glimpse of the bride. Rishabh’s aunt did the aarti and made Madhu perform the ritual of catching a live 5kg fish in one hand and holding a brass “kolshi” (pitcher) full of water in the otherhand. Madhu was agile, so she easily performed those tasks, amazing the onlookers.

After all the rituals were over, Radha said, “Today is kaalratri. So you two cannot see each other tonight. Madhu will stay with me.” 

Rishabh slightly pouted his face, and then quickly whispered in Madhu’s ears, “Don’t worry. Just one more night to go. After that we will be together.”

Madhu was already feeling lost in this crowd of strangers. She just obeyed Radha as she was instructed by Padmini.

“She is beautiful,” commented an old lady.

Radha tried to keep her smile intact and nod her head in agreement. Despite her reservations, she was relieved to see Madhu looking more beautiful and healthier than before. Now it was time for her to put to test Madhu’s suitability in her picture-perfect household. She had already chalked out a plan for that. It was the grand celebration of Durga puja in the Mukhopadhyay mansion. Madhu would have to prove her ability by taking myriads of responsibilities of the puja rituals. But for the time being, Radha was happy to show the onlookers how glad she was to welcome her daughter-in-law.

The kaalratri passed uneventfully. Madhu was too tired from the journey, as she had never before taken such a long trip out of home. Next morning, she was woken up by Radha quite early.

“Get up Madhu, today is your boubhaat (reception from thegroom’s side, where the groom accepts all responsibilities of the bride).”

Madhu took a quick bath and dressed up in a beautiful red saree. After the rituals, she had to serve rice to all the hundreds of guests assembled for the reception. Rishabh silently followed her and helped her serve the rice without dropping it on anyone. The elderly people nudged each other,seeing the rapport between the newlywed couple. Madhu’s heart leaped every time Rishabh’s fingers brushed hers while serving.

After the feast was over, Madhu took leave from everyone and retired to Radha’s room. Radha came to her room with her sisters after sometime.

“Oma, Madhu. What are you doing here? Go to Rishu’s room. It is your phool shojya (first night/ suhag raat) tonight,” said Rishabh’s aunt and led Madhu to Rishabh’s room.

Madhu was befuddled seeing the floral decor of the whole room. As she was left alone in the room, her heart started racing madly.

Rishabh came to his room after seeing off the last of the guests. He was filled with a strange thrill, all his moments spent with Madhu coming to his mind. His friends had teased him enough already, and he could not wait to find his bride all to himself.

“Tonight, I am going to start a new phase of our life. I will make it very special for Madhu.”

As he entered his room, he stood shocked. The bed was empty, and Madhu was sleeping on a bed sheet on the floor.

………………………..

Madhu got up early next day. She remembered Radha telling her the night before to help with the puja preparations. As Madhu tip-toed past the bed, he saw Rishabh sleeping peacefully, but his cover almost slipping offfrom his body. She silently approached and pulled the cover on him. Rishabh snuggled more into the cover and continued sleeping. He looked like a small baby in his sleep. Madhu smiled seeing him like that, and then hurriedly left the room.

Durga Puja had come early that year, and monsoon was yet to be over. The early morning sky was full of grey clouds; after a light shower the puja mandap was still water logged. Madhu saw all the ladies in the household busy clearing the area and getting ready for the puja preparations. She did not know what to do, so stood at one corner.

“O ma, notun bou (new bride), what are you doing here so early? Did you sleep well last night?” asked Rishabh’s aunt.

Madhu nodded her head, when she noticed the other ladies looking at her and giggling. She did not realize that the ladies were actually gossiping about what might have happened between the newly married couple in their first night together.

“Where is Ma?” asked Madhu.

“Here I am,” said Radha as she approached her.

“What am I supposed to do here?”

Radha was afraid that without being occupied with any chores, Madhu would start loitering around and perhaps start climbing a tree or something. So, she had her plans for her daughter-in-law in place already. She started listing out the work that was still left before the puja for the day was supposed to commence.

But all the ladies present there opined that being a new bride Madhu should not be doing anything, but just be with them if she wished to. Rishabh’s aunt was most pleasant of them all. She had an instant liking for Madhu, and knowing well about Radha’s indignation in this marriage, she felt all the more protective for Madhu. Radha, slightly disappointed, headed back to the kitchen.

“You go and take bath Madhu. This is a puja house, people will be coming in all the day and they might want to meet the new bride. You wear a new saree and ornaments and come down to the puja area. By that time Rishabh will be awake, and you can serve him his breakfast,’ said the aunt.

Madhu nodded and headed towards the pond at the back of the house.

Rishabh woke up and stretched his arms lazily. He was staring at the ceiling when it came to his mind that his newly-married wife slept on the floor the night before. He jumped out of the bed and searched for Madhu, but could not see her anywhere in or around the room. Then he heard the bustling sound from ground floor and as he peeked at the inner courtyard,he saw people running here and there with the puja preparation.

After freshening up, he decided to go to the terrace and take some fresh air. As he walked up to the terrace, wind blew on his face and an earthy smell from the morning rain filled his lungs. He took a deep breath and strolled to the other end of the terrace. Suddenly, he saw some movement within the sarees and clothes, hung on ropes for drying. As he went closer, he saw Madhu trying to hang her washed saree onto the rope. But with her short form she could not reach the height, and kept on leaping.

Rishabh chuckled seeing Madhu’s attempts at reaching the rope. He stealthily walked up behind her. Grasping her around her hip, he hauled her up to the required height. Madhu was startled by his touch and gasped out loud. She tried freeing herself from his hold, but it was not to happen so easily. As Rishabh brought her down he realized Madhu was completely wet. The water droplets still hung on her smooth skin and dripped from her curls, drenching her saree around the bust.

Rishabh’s hands instinctively drew Madhu’s waist closer to himself. Madhu could feel his warm breath on her bare shoulder as she struggled to free herself. She froze instantly as she felt his lips on her nape and slowly progressing to the upper part of her neck. It was an alien sensation, burning all her inside out.  

A sudden thunderclap in the dark grey clouds above startled both of them. Before Rishabh realized, Madhu jerked his hands off her and ran downstairs. He stood there with his hands still open wide as she disappeared from his view.

“Even you are my enemy now,” he rebuked pointing at the clouds above.

Madhu came running to their room and closed the door behind her. Her heart was pounding hard and she had goosebumps all over her skin. Why did she feel like this whenever he wanted to come closer? Those tingling sensation in her heart and body brought her to her wit’s end. This was her home now. Rishabh was her husband. She would never be able to run away from his advances all the time. If only this was her village, Madhu would have ran away long time back.

Madhu missed her mother and wished she was here so that she could ask her why this was happening to her. When she saw that Rishabh did not follow her to the room, she decided to dress up and go downstairs as instructed by his aunt in the morning.

“Where were you Madhu? Rishabh is waiting for his breakfast,” chided Radha.

Madhu hurried to the kitchen where Rishabh was waiting. Madhu silently served him luchi-alur dom (puri-sabzi) which he started eating.

After he finished his food and washed his hands, his aunt asked him, “Oi Rishu, won’t you have some sweets?”

Rishabh smiled at Madhu who was waiting at the corner of the kitchen and replied, “Shokalei kheye niyechi (I ate it in the morning already).”

……………..

Next morning, Madhu was sleeping on the floor as usual. She heard someone calling her name in her sleep.

“Uhh-huhhu-uhuh-hhu,” replied Madhu in her sleep, as she turned on the other side to stop being woken up.

“Madhu, get up. It’s Ashtami. You will get late for the onjoli,” said Rishabh, trying hard to stifle his giggle seeing Madhu’s childish antics.

“Madhu, where are you?” called Radha from outside their bedroom.

Madhu opened her eyes hearing Radha’s voice, and jumped up from the floor.

“She is coming, Ma,” replied Rishabh and quickly picked up the bed sheet and pillow from the floor.

On the Ashtami morning Mukhopadhyay house was brimming with people. Neighbours and relatives had gathered for “onjoli” (floral offerings to the goddess).

“Go and take a bath quickly, all the puja works are left to be done,” instructed Radha.

Madhu hurried towards the pond that was exclusively for the family’s use and entered the water to take a quick bath. She loved water; she missed the swimming in the river back at her village. But it was not possible to enjoy playing in the pond anymore. She just started dipping in the water, not far from the steps.

After few dips and Madhu turned back towards the steps and froze. Rishabh was standing on the last step with his feet barely touching the pond water. He poured water on his head with a mug. He was without any shirt and only in his dhoti, which was drenched and almost transparent, sticking to his body. The water rolled down his head, shoulder and chest, and she could see how every droplet traveled through the contours of his chiseled body.

Madhu could not avert her gaze from the glisten of his wet body when she noticed a smirk on his face. His probing eyes scrutinizing her wet sari clad body with equal passion. She hurriedly gathered her stuff from the steps and rushed past Rishabh before he made any move.

But to her surprise, Rishabh did not try to touch her when she was still within reach. He kept on pouring water on his head and somewhere inside Madhu felt a strange sense of disappointment. It was as if he knew what she expected him to do, but proved her wrong anyway. Without wasting any more time, she hurried inside the house.

P.S.: If you are wondering, in a Bengali wedding, the night/ bashor after wedding is spent by bride and groom in presence of chaperones. So, technically it is not the first night together. First night/suhag raat/ phool shojya is only after the reception at the groom's place (boubhaat).

coderlady thumbnail

Madhu is feeling the attraction but too young to understand it. Didn't she get a little talk from her mother about what to expect? Or maybe its not expected at this time that things will go to that level yet.