Kasautii Zindagii Kay 2

FF. Unsolicited Intimacy (-AnuPre) Status changed to W.I.P

K-Shandra thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Title: Unsolicited Intimacy

Series: Kasautii Zindagii Kay 2, locally known as Made for Each Other.
Pairing: Anurag and Komolika/Sonalika

Genre: Angst, non-romance (at best- dark humour)
Rating: Unapologetically M (‘cause you need to be mature to truly understand it)
Timeline: Current (Ep 329/330)
Written: Late December 2019 – last fic for the year.

Proofed: Still to be completed
Language: International (UK) English, with American dialogue (quotation)tags.
Word Count: 3,580

AN: I have always said:  never anger my muse when I’ve given her free reign. If anything,she is relentless in her quest for retribution… to the point of foregoing other fanfics. (in short – I lost the fight)

*·.·´¯`·.·* *·.·´¯`·. K Z K .·´¯`·.·*  *·.·´¯`·.·*

There was a different feeling about the place, something that seemed familiar but at the same time exciting. He had no idea why he felt what he did only that he liked the atmosphere of the place, which was why he must have bought it initially.

Anurag stood in front of the modest farmhouse and for some reason understanding why it was not as elaborate as their other properties. An elaborate house would not have suited either the setting or the mood of the locale. He looked at the house,trying to figure out what it was about the place that made it seem… different…Because if he were honest with himself there was nothing apparently special about the location or it’s surroundings.

“It’s quaint don’t you think?” Sonalika asked as she came to stand besides him, once again snaking her arm around his and pushing herself up against him. He’d never liked clingy girls or public displays of affection, so how was it that he had married such a girl… or had she been his mother’s choice. Possibly, especially since his mother had made it her mission to find the best girl for him… yet somehow that thought did not sit right.

Sonalika snapped her fingers in front of his face, calling, “Hello! Where did you go?”

“I was just thinking.”

“What about?”

“About this place?”

“What about it?”Sonalika asked looking around them, “When your mother said you had a house built here I expected something more grand, more in line with your home.”

Anurag shook his head, “I don’t know, it would not feel right.”

“Well if you don’t like the place you can always sell it. With the improvements your certain to make a good profit from it.”

Anurag could no explain the absolute resistance he felt in his being at even the thought. It was as if everything in him rejected even just the thought.

“No there is something about it that I like.”

“Really?”Komolika asked with feigned surprise. “It’s a little trite for my taste, but then it is the countryside.”

“I think it suits the location perfectly, come let’s get settled.” Anurag said managing to extract himself from her grasp. He knew why his mother had been instant that they spend some time together, but for some reason things just felt too strange around Sonalika. He knew they were married, but for some reason he could not bring himself to consummate it. And from what he’d determined they had not consummated their marriage before his accident either… And then there was Prerna. He knew he should not draw comparisons between the two women but he could not help it.

With Sonalika he felt some familiarity, but he had no idea whether it was real or just simply there because of the accident. Along with that was his family’s reaction to her. While his mother had been welcoming of her, and quick to accept her as the daughter in law of the house, his father seemed only to tolerate her. In fact,since his return after the accident, his father seemed less tolerant of his mother. At first he thought it could have been concern, but recently his remarks had turned more acidic than mocking – there was also a more impatient tone to his voice. It had on more than one occasion caused Anurag to question whether his condition was not responsible for the shift in his father’s mood and behaviour.

Then there was Prerna. He still had no idea what to make of her, or what he was feeling for her, all he knew is that with each passing day his fondness for her increased.He like being close to her, she just somehow calmed and focused him, although he knew she could be just as inciting. And then there was the entire situation with her baby… He did not like the fact that she was as far along and he still had no idea as to who her husband and the father of her child was. He really hoped that the detective would find the guy, for he would be certain to give him a piece of his mind.

He had often wondered whether it was the fact that Prerna had married that had resulted in him consenting to his own marriage… but then no one really ever discussed anything with him so  he had been unable to even test that theory. But if it was so, then he could to some extent understand why he could not get close to Sonalika… But then he also could not understand it. Why would he abstain from his wife? It was not as if he believed in it….Yet he could not bring himself to be close to her, nor could he understand his reaction to her touch. He was certain that any other male’s response would have been shameless, but he simply could not bring himself to that point.

Just as they were about to enter the house he heard temple bells, and frowned. It was strange that there would be a temple situated so close to his home, or perhaps the serenity of the area was due to the temple. He for a moment looked at Sonalika, then shook his head in confusion. Sonalika was not a very religious person, so the presence of the temple would not have been a consideration on her behalf.

With her concerned not fully hidden in her tone, Sonalilka asked,  “What happened? Have you remembered something?”

Anurag shook his head, “I was just wondering something?”

“What?”

“The Temple, it just does not make sense. Mom said I bought this property for my wife…” Anurag the made a waiving gesture with his hand, as if to dismiss the thought and then said, “Go ahead inside, I’m just going to attend the prayers at the temple.”

Angry Sonalika stomped into the decorated room, ranting, “Enough Anurag! Tonight you will be mine, and that too right here where you and Prerna conceived that little brat!There will no longer be beautiful memories of the two of you together. It will just be you and me, Anurag.  God I hate that kid! You’d swear it has the protection of the gods, because no matter what I do I can’t kill either it or Prerna! So now I’ll have to have one of my own.”

Anurag entered the temple courtyard, which felt oddly familiar. He knew better than to question the sensations that descended on him. He removed his shoes and then bent down to touch the stairs before proceeding.

There were only a few attending prayers, so he reached up and rang the bell before taking his position amongst them. He placed his hands together and looked at the idle of Goddess Durga for several moments before closing his eyes and lowering his head. It had been a while since he had last attended prayers, and he wondered if it was perhaps Sonalika’s influence.

He shook his head in the hope of clearing his mind. He wanted to only focus on the question he needed answered, but could not decide which… Prena,  her baby, her husband, and then there was this place… He wanted all the answers even though he knew he had no right to have such questions.

Finally he settled on a single question, a single request from the Goddess to help him understand what is he felt: Why does this place feel special? He listened to the priest’s chants allowed himself to soak up the atmosphere of the place only to suddenly jolt. His eyes flew open as an image fixed itself in his mind. Fleeting at first. A girl dressed in red, no dressed in bridal wear. Closing his eyes again he reached for the image but it seemed to elude him.Clenching his fists in irritation he tried to again clear his mind, hoping the image would again return. This time there was a face, a familiar face, eye she’d seen everyday.

“Prerna,” he whispered, and then the image cleared. Prerna in bridal wear, with someone holding sindoor in front of her. Again he tried to press for more only to have the image again disappear. His eyes shot open, his gaze fixed on the Goddess,the image suddenly seeming far too familiar to him. He looked about the temple,recognizing it instantly.

The priest finished his prayers and started handing out the offerings to everyone. “It is good to see you here,” The priest warmly greeted as Anurag waived his hands over the lamp then placed them within each other to accept the offering.

“I have been busy,” Anurag answered.

“Where is your wife?” 

Anurag for a moment thought of Sonalika and wondered if she had attended prayers here with him earlier. “She is at the house.”

“Ah, yes, it is understandable. The little one should be arriving soon.”

The man’s words jolted Anurag but before he could ask anything the priest had moved on. He shook his head in confusion. They were not expecting a child, were they?  

He broke off a small piece of the offerings and had it, then turned to leave. Even before he reached the steps his mind started racing. Had he married Prerna. He tried to recall the image and found it easier. No, it didn’t make sense. If he’d married Prerna then it would have been an elaborate ceremony. Their fathers had been best friends, he could only imagine the type of arrangements their fathers would have wanted… That’s why he knew their wedding would not have been small,unless Prerna’s marriage had been fixed with someone unsuitable and she had instead eloped for love… but then her current situation did not make sense. And in such a matter had he been present as a friend to witness her wedding? And why couldn’t he see her husband’s face? If that was the case, then he would not spare her husband – no one treated his friend like that.

Instead of the answers he had sought at the temple, he returned to the house with more questions. The place was cast in darkness causing him to frown, he was certain the builder had said the place had been completed and had power. Shaking his head and casting aside his doubts for a moment, he approached the house,calling, “Sonalilka! Where are you?”

“In here,” she called from within the house.

It was dark but he could still make out a path through the living area and towards the one room where he could see a light flickering.

As he walked into the room he immediately knew what mood his wife was in, however he was more concerned by the lack of power.

“How long had the lights been out?” He demanded the looked around the room for his phone, he could use the flashlight to go check.

“It’s been out all along, but I don’t mind, don’t you think it’s more romantic like this?”

Anurag could feel her hands moving up along his back towards his shoulders. He fought his instinctive desire to step away, trying to determine exactly when it was that his wife’s touch seemed so strange to him… or had it always, he just simply could not remember it, in the same manner as he could not remember their wedding.

He turned to face her and then felt her hands move over his chest, and for a moment soaked up the sensation, uncertain whether he should step away or allow her to continue. That was another thing that puzzled him, she was always the one who tried to initiate – why not him, was there something wrong with him?

Look here, Sonalika husked, using her fingers to turn his head so that he looked at her.“Tonight is about us. And we don’t need power for that. She pushed against him and instinctively he gave way, stepping back. She advanced again and the process repeated itself until his knees hit the back of the bed and he fell onto it.

“Now that’s better,” Sonalika said as she came to rest partially over him. “You’re always in a hurry to be somewhere or do something, we never have any time together.”

A nervousness filled Anurag as he looked up at her.

Sonalika brushed her hands over his chest. She started to teasingly undo the top button. Before halting momentarily to look at him. “It’s okay, relax, I’m your wife.”

He captured her head and held it in place, something urged him to do it, although she misunderstood his intent and coyly said, “That’s more like it.”

But instead of moving closer to her he held her in place and stared deep into her eyes.

“Oh yes I forgot, you’re more of a romantic.” Sonalika said and pressed against him.

Her words confused him, they seemed strange, wrong. Finally she held still, her gaze locked with his. She moved closer, closer… but the eyes were wrong. He braced against her, holding her head in place as he broke eye contact and looked to the side.

He wondered where the thought had come from, eyes.

He felt her fingers pressed against his cheek until he once again looked at her. “We’ll take it slow, there’s no need to rush, we have the whole evening.”

Again her words seemed wrong, her actions wrong.

He knew she had rights as a wife, and that as her husband he was compelled to fulfil those rights and duties, only he could not bring himself to. He closed his eyes,thinking it might be better, easier if he only focused on feeling. He tried to relax into her touch, only his muscles would not respond.

As sudden as a lightning strike, a series of images flashed before his eyes. Her eyes as she watched him, the manner she griped his hand tighter and her breath hitched as they became one. Her body pressing against his. The way she gasped his name. 

His eyes shot open as his hands shifted to her hips. And with more force than he had intended, he pushed her away from him, casting her onto the other side of the bed.

“What the?”Sonalika demanded on landing, immediately turning to face him.

Anurag shot up pressing his palms against his eyes and shaking his head.  He clenched his hands, pinched his lips and eyes as he tried to make sense of the images. Again they did not make any sense.

Angrily Sonalika demanded, “What the hell is wrong with you?” but on noticing his expression fell silent.  

He felt suffocated, as if the walls were closing in on him. He quickly looked about the room and spotted his phone, then collected it before leaving. “I’m going to check on the generator,” he threw over his shoulder.

Nausea filled him,twisting his stomach and his insides. He had no idea where it came from or whether it would subside on his own, but he could hardly move once he’d stepped out of the house. He looked up at the moon as if somehow expecting it to fix the mess he was in. The images were easy enough to understand, it was their implication he found difficult to accept.

Him and Prerna?

He looked in the direction of the Temple and remembered the priest’s words. Did that mean her baby was his as well? And if so, were he and Prerna even married? He had no idea whom he could, or even should, trust. No one had been honest with him from the start.

He thought back of the day at the hospital, the heartbeat, the baby kicking… it had been his.

Anurag clenched his hands and lowered onto his haunches. At that moment hated everyone for lying to him, even Prerna. Did they really think he would not accept the child as his, that he would doubt her for even a moment? He dropped his phone as he placed his hands over his nose and mouth pinching his eyes as he swallowed against the bile that rose.

How he had hated that man, the man who had dared to touch Prerna and leave hr in such a state,only to discover that it was him… and why had his family not taken care of his wife and child in his absence. Why was she staying with her family when she should be part of his?

So many times he had asked her, and every time she had spoken politely and said that the baby’s father was close by. or with her, and he’d been too foolish to understand the meaning.

And as much as he wanted to hate everyone a sense of jubilation filled him. He was going to be a father. He was the father of Prerna’s baby. Or was he.

He quickly moved and picked up his phone. The first thing he had to do was re-establish the power and then he’ll call…. He had no idea who he should call. He knew Prerna would not answer his questions.  He’ll call Anupam, and if Anupam refused to answer him he would ask his father.

He checked the generator and quickly found the problem. Systematically he worked through the start up sequence and moments after it sprung to life, the house lit up.

He turned to look at the house, for a moment hesitating. He had no idea what he should do with Sonalika, or how she would take the news… But first he needed to confirm the facts.

He pulled out the phone and hit Anupam’s speed dial hoping he would quickly answer. From the manner he answered the phone, Anurag knew he was with the others. He however needed answers so cut right to the chase. “Anupam, I’m going to make this easy on you, only yes and no answers okay.”

“Sure thing Anurag, has the electrician reached the farmhouse?”

Anurag was confused and said, “I’ll ask the questions, okay.”

“Yes I understand, so is the power back on yet?” 

“Power?” Anurag asked for a moment confused, he however answered, “Yes it was just the generator that was switched off.” 

“Good, good,”Anupam replied however Anurag could sense he was moving away from the others.“Right I’m in the clear, what did you want to ask me?”

“Prerna?”

“Yes want about her?”

“She’s my wife?”Anurag stated

Anupam remained silent for a while, causing Anurag to insist, “Were we married? Yes or no!”

“I am not going to lie to you, so yes.”

“And the baby is mine as well?”

“Again,yes.”   

Anurag heard a rustling and turned to look, noticing Prerna with a man. Instantly red hot rage shot through him, what was the man doing with her at this hour? “Prerna?”

His voice carried over the line and Anupam replied, “Is Prerna there.”

“Yes.” Anurag hesitantly answered wondering how much of their conversation she had overheard.

“Mother in law sent her with the electr…” He however did not finish for Mohini’s voice carried over the line. “You tell Anu, that once Prerna has seen what she needs to see,then he must send her home.”

Instantly his blood turned cold, the farmhouse, the decorations, Prerna there…

He glanced tothe farmhouse, knowing he’d bought it for his wife… his wife Prerna. It was where.

He turned to look at Prerna, at the same time dismissing Anupam with a curt, “I’ll call you later.”  

He had not even ended the call when she said, “Seeing as you no longer need the services of the electrician, We’ll leave. Good night Anurag.” For some reason it sounded more like a goodbye.

“Prerna wait! We need to talk.”

She stopped as best as she could, given the terrain and her condition, and turned back towards him, “At this hour? Talk about what?”

“The baby?”

Prerna turned to the electrician and said, “Wait for me at the vehicle, I’ll be there now.” Once the man was out of earshot she turned her attention to Anurag and held her hand up to silence him. You know what, Anurag, it’s good that you now know.”

Immediately Anurag realized he had overheard most of his conversation with Anupam.

“Prerna!” Anurag called, however she again held up her hand and shook her head, “I don’t want to hear it. I have seen what your mother wanted me to see, so go, just go back to your current wife and go conceive your next child.” Her shoulders drooped as she said, “You at least could have been more considerate, but I have gotten the message.” Prerna gestured towards the house, but added nothing before turning away again.

Prerna! He called after her but she threw up both her hands as she walked away, flatly stating, “I don’t want to hear it.’

Anurag then turned to look at the farmhouse,then remembered the significance of its location. His entire body went cold.

She’d know, his mother had known that he’d bought it for Prerna, she may not have realized the significance, but Prerna knew. His mother may not have realized the pain she’d inflicted on Prerna… Or maybe she knew, and had done it intentionally. If that were the case, he would never forgive her.  

Again he covered his nose and mouth with his hands, but this time it was to muffle the scream of frustration that seemed to originate deep from within his soul.  

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Cute_Virgo thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

I wish the writers of the show would take inspiration from your story and give us at least half of what you have in this chapter. 

gunnun thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Cute_Virgo

I wish the writers of the show would take inspiration from your story and give us at least half of what you have in this chapter. 

same wish I too have.

Enlightened21 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Now, your FFs has become our source of getting a realistic story on AnuPre. Thank you for it Shandra.

Gigiri thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Wow....wonderful Sandra........If kzk story is like your one...... we can entertain more.😃

K-Shandra thumbnail

Cute_Virgo

"I wish the writers of the show would take inspiration from your story and give us at least half of what you have in this chapter."

Thank you for the compliment. I just thought since Missy was being difficult, I'd let her have her head.  

Gunnun

"Same wish I too have."

Creative teams work several weeks ahead of shooting and screening schedules... so it would be a bit hard for them to do that. 

K-Shandra thumbnail

Originally posted by: grace4317

Now, your FFs has become our source of getting a realistic story on AnuPre. Thank you for it Shandra.

You are most welcome. I guess I have to vent my frustration in some way.

K-Shandra thumbnail

Originally posted by: masdhu

Wow....wonderful Sandra........If kzk story is like your one...... we can entertain more.😃

Sometimes I wish the creatives would think that way, but then we have become complacent with the mediocre dish they serve up these days. 

Peacefulmind thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

pls do update the next part... 

K-Shandra thumbnail

Anurag stomped his way back to the house. The discovery of the truth, and reality of the situation, had hit him like a ton of bricks. In fact, a ton of bricks would have done less damage than the truth.

With a storm raging within, Anurag burst into the farmhouse. The combination of anger apprehension and disbelief had him snap at Sonalika. “Get your things together, we’re leaving.”

Sonalika, with an artificially sweet voice tried to coax him,  “Anu, calm down,” but Anurag was having none of it.  

“No, I don’t want to calm down, I don’t want to think, I want to leave, NOW!” he could not stand the sight of the place, had no desire to be there. Its significance had been distorted.

“But Anu, it’s late. We can leave in the morning.”Sonalika tried to reason with him but Anurag was beyond the point of reasoning, as he searched for his bag. Thus he did not see the smug look on her face, or realize that internally she was celebrating. It had worked, the wedge between Anurag and Prerna had finally jammed into position. It only needed to be pushed home.   

Anurag’s conscious burned him. The reality of the past few months weighed on his conscious as him mind kept repeating the series of events. The manner with which Prerna had been a constant but unassuming presence that focused him, without demanding anything in return… This when she had known that she was so much more to him. He could not even begin to process his thoughts and doubts, and had no idea what to think or believe anymore.

Prerna had always said that he should follow his heart whenever his head was too confused to make sense of things… but his heart was bleeding.

“Baby, what’s the matter, come we’ll talk about it.” The manner in which she said it immediately irritated him.

“I said we’re leaving.”

“But we…”Sonalika gestured about the room.

Anurag instead called the servant and informed him that they would be leaving. He then instructed the man to close up the house.

Sonalika was livid. Everything she had done to create the impression she wanted to show Prerna had gone to waste. Given Prerna had entered the room, and seen her there, but she had left, claiming she was there with electrician to check the generator.

‘She must have spoken to Anurag. That is why he was acting the way he was. But what could she have told him that would make him as angry that he would want to leave there?’

Not willing to give up quite yet, Sonalika said, “We can leave early in the morning, it’s too late now to leave.”  

“No, we’re leaving now. There’s no way I’m staying here tonight.”

Sonalika for a moment considered the possibility that Anurag may have remembered the significance of the place, it was all that could explain his sudden change of heart. But then he’d been fine before he’d gone out, been willing even… ‘So what changed? What had Prerna said to him? What was it with Anurag, and his need to always fix the lights whenever they go out? One would think he’s afraid of the dark.’

Sonalika thought of the possibility that eh could have but then he’d been it changed when he went out. one would swear he was afraid of the dark.

The drive back home was completed in absolute silence, and on their arrival at Basu Baari he flatly stated that it would be better if they retired to their separate rooms.

“Anu?” his mother asked, shocked when he did not even stop to properly greet her.

“What happened?" Mohini asked, turning to Sonalika.

“Prerna happened.”

“What has that cheap girl gone and done now?” Monini angrily demanded, “I wish she would just learn where her place is.”

“I don’t know what she has said or done, but he has been this way since seeing her.”

“I take it our plan failed, again.” Mohini stated rather than asked.

“Would I be here if it hadn’t?” Sonalika asked in retaliation, demanding “What is it with the two of them? It’s almost as if the one cannot function without the other. And when they argue about something, he’s like this!”

“Don’t worry about it, if I know my son well he will be back to his usual calm self in the morning. Just give him some space.”

Sonalika muttered under her breath, “Like I have a choice.”

Sonalika managed to maintain a check on her rage until she entered her room. It was just as well that she had a different room to Anurag, for she needed to vent. With no idea how Prerna managed to enthrall him, even having forgotten their relationship,she again felt the jealous rage that used to fill her on seeing them together. ‘How is it that even with his memory lapse their connection remained? This cannot just be love, there has to be something more to it. How else could he be so attached to a baby he did not even know was his. He also has no idea to whom Prerna was married? Perhaps the answer to her Prerna problem could be solved far easier, and legally. If there was someone else in Prerna’s life, then there would not be space for Anurag’. Sonalika though and then chided herself for not having thought of it sooner. It was just so uncomplicated and simple: She would get Prerna married. Finding someone to accept another man’s child may be difficult, but then Prerna had a way with men that got them to overlook her flaws. If she could manage to change a staunch businessman like Rishab Bajaj, then she could certainly work her magic on another. If they putout the word that the father of her child had abandoned her, and had no interest in the child, then perhaps, just perhaps, they could do it. And with a big enough dowry, she’d be snapped up quickly. ‘I must speak with mother in law about the dowry, I’m certain she won’t mind if it got rid of Prerna.’

Feeling pleased with herself, Sonalika got ready for bed. 

For two days Prerna had refused to take his calls. She’s refused to see him. Even her family had formed the equivalent of an impenetrable shield around her whenever he tried to approach her. He had questions, so many questions, and the only one he trusted to honestly answer him was Prerna. They were strange like that. Their proximity as children had made them comfortable with each other. So much so that they could bluntly state what they thought. He could share things with her he could not even share with his sisters. Instinctively he felt she was his best friend and he needed her help, and an explanation as to how she, they, could have grown so distant that she could not tell him the truth about the baby she was carrying. 

It was his frustration in his failed attempts to meet her that had forced him to undertake extreme measures, and they had paid off. The private investigator he had hired,had informed him that she had left her home for the first time in days. Anurag had been adamant that he would confront and speak with her, somehow, even if he needed to create a scene.

Before his arrival at the mall, the investigator had informed him that she had met with a lady and girl child, but the man had not know what relation to her they had. Yet as Anurag watched from a distance, he felt rather than knew the child was familiar somehow. From Prerna’s interaction with the girl it was obvious they shared a close relationship, something he was jealous of for not understanding. He may not know exactly who the child was but he knew she was important somehow, because Prerna would not share such an openly fond relationship with just any child.

He watched as they eventually entered a children’s dress shop and realized they intended to purchase a dress for the girl but as to why Prerna was needed, he had no idea.

After completing their purchases the three of them to sit at a nearby coffee shop where they each ordered something. The very animated manner with which the girl spoke and gestured to Prerna was endearing to watch, while Prerna seemed fully engaged with the conversation. Even without being part of the conversation, Anurag could determine that she was telling Prerna of some trip somewhere.

His breath caught when he saw Prerna suddenly flinch and then rub a part of her abdomen. The girl looked confused for a moment and made an enquiry. Prerna nodded before taking the girl’s hand and holding it in place.

Envy coursed through him. He’d felt their child kick and hated the thought that she was again kicking and he could not share the experience. He was angry for having missed out on so much already, only to end up watching something that had stirred him deeply, even without knowing the truth.

He fought the desire to rush over and infringe on the moment, it was only the knowledge that Prerna would probably give him a tight slap again for trying that prevented him in the end. He for a moment mulled over the thought, or was it a memory? ‘When had Prerna slapped him? And why would she?’

The young girl continued to talk and gesture animatedly.

And then he arrived.

Instantly, Anurag’s blood turned cold. His heart stopped for a moment while breathing seemed impossible. Anurag watched the girl leap up and then run to give her father a hug. Instantly he realized he’d placed the man and child, just not what they meant to Prerna or why she seemed so comfortable in meeting the man.No one showed any discomfort on his arrival, which indicated he held some significance to all of them. He exchanged pleasantries with Prerna and then listened as the girl described something to him. 

A short while later, he exchanged words with the other woman, who then nodded and excused herself from the table, taking the young girl with her. He watched as the man ordered a coffee and addressed the waiter. Once done, he turned to Prerna. The familiarity with which the man reached out and took hold of Prerna’s hand had Anurag see red, moments before a set of images flashed across his mind. Images that knock him breathless while a heavy weight pressed down on his chest, rendering breathing impossible. 

The man was her husband, the one she avoided talking about whenever he asked. But it did not appear as if the man had abandoned her, in fact his adoration of her was obvious for anyone to see. Images of them holding hands, of her being close to him, their honeymoon suite filled his mind and twisted his gut.

What was more confusing was the fact that if that man was her husband, why was she living with her family and working that far into her pregnancy? From the appearance of the man and his child, they seemed well off and thus could keep Prerna better. So why?

Anurag felt sick to his stomach, while his body grew numb. The sense of loss he could not understand yet felt so keenly. It was new but at the same time utterly familiar.Nothing made sense. They had married, had they not? The baby was his, wasn’t it? Anupam had told him so, and Anupam had no reason to lie to him. Had he? So where and how had that man entered their lives?

At the table,Bajaj squeezed Prerna’s hand and said, “I apologize for the means but I had to meet with you.”

Prerna offered a slight smile and nodded understandingly, then said, “I told you that I will always be willing to meet Kuki whenever she needed me.”

Rishabh sincerely replied, “And I am grateful for that. She’s always more animated when she knows she’s going to see you.”

Not knowing howto reply, Prerna simply said, “Thank you.”

“You must begetting close?” Rishabh asked, gesturing to her abdomen as way of explanation.

“Yes. It’s becoming more difficult to move freely now.”

Rishabh used both his hands, and lifted the one he’d clasped. Looking right at her he said, “Look, Prerna, be honest with me. Is there some problem between you and Anurag?”

Prerna looked at him for a moment confused. She had no idea what there actually was between her and Anurag as of late. He’d made his preference clear that evening at the farmhouse. So if there was nothing how could anything be wrong? But time, interaction and experience had taught her never to take a businessman at face value, thus she honestly replied, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

For a moment he appeared frustrated. He took a moment to compose his reponse then stated, “Honestly, Prerna, there was a reason why I wanted to speak to you, and form what you have said I take it you have no idea as to what is going around.”

Confused and concerned Prerna demanded, “What do you mean?”

Rishabh again took a moment to collect his thoughts, then said, “I don’t know what happened here after I left, but I left with the impression that you and Anurag were about to be married. I only recently discovered that the ceremony never took place and that Anurag went missing for a while. I was also told that he does not remember anything and now has another wife. Is this true?”

Prerna only nodded slowly in response.

Rishabh released his hold on her hand and said, “Well then what I have heard would make more sense, given what I know of that family.”

“What do you mean?” Prerna quickly demanded.

He looked at her for a moment, but then bluntly stated, “Word out is that you’re looking for a husband.” He saw her shocked expression and added, “A handsome dowry has also been provisioned for.”

“What?” Prerna demanded in disbelief. “You must be mistaken, my family could not afford a dowry.”

Rishabh then flatly stated, “But Anurag’s family would not mind paying one to be rid of you.” When Prerna did not respond, Rishabh continued, “Look I’m not making this up. I have no reason to. Especially since I believe that if you really had any problems you would at least have mentioned it to me when you met Kuki, as such a decision would affect her as well. But from your reaction, I think it is safe to say that you have no idea as to what is happening and that they are doing this behind your back.”

Prerna could only nod in reply.

“The only reason I got to know of this was because of a business associate, whose wife frequents the same club as Mohini, asked me if I knew anything about it, especially since it is rumoured that the baby is mine, and he thought I should know.”

Prerna appeared scandalized, her hand moving to cover her mouth before she said, “I’m so sorry about that.”

Rishabh dismissed the matter with a wave, stating, “We both know the truth, so these rumours don’t concern me. But I did engaged the services of a private investigator to learn as much as I can about this, and what he uncovered is not pretty.”

“What did he find?”

“The matter is kept silent and is only discussed in whispers, and rumour is Mohini is behind it.”

Prerna shook her head, “No, this is not Mohini. She is capable of many things, but such an elaborate scheme would have been cooked up by someone else.”

“You are being too kind,” Rishab insisted.

“Mohini is more prone to flinging insults, she would come up with something as underhanded as this on her own. She has two daughters and knows dowry is illegal. This is the work of someone else, someone with no shame. Mohini is just a pawn who joined the plot.”

“But you do understand it is her compulsion to see the worst in you that drove her.”

“I did not deny that.”  

“Do you have any idea who could be behind this? Because this slanders my name as well.”

Prerna firmly replied, “Komolika.”

“But Komolika died in that accident,” Rishabh reasoned.  

Prena shook her head and said, “No, she survived and had plastic surgery done. She has a new face, new voice, new identity, and only she would stoop this low.”

Rishab mulled over things for several moments before replying, “Well, then, I will have the private investigator search some more and have someone put in a word for me as a potential suitor.”

“Rishab, you don’t need to do this.”  

“Yes I do. If there is one thing I have learned in business over the years it is to catch one’s opponent red-handed. That way you not only have the evidence to support any charges, you also have the upper hand. They will try to keep this quiet,claiming some right over you, until the matter is fixed. We only need to confront them on it. ”   

“And you think this will stop them?” Prerna asked.

“If they don’t want any trouble, they’ll stop. Building evidence in this matter is easy, just as easy as it would be to unmask this plot of theirs. But, for now, at least consider yourself forewarned. And let me know if any suitors arrive at your home. I will deal with them separately.”

“And Anurag?”

“If you are in the dark about this, then I take it that Anurag is as well. If not, then he deserves whatever comes his way now.”

“Rishabh,”Prerna warned.

“The promise I made remains in place, I will not harm him, but that does not mean that I need to protect him from any downfall he created for himself.” Rishabh looked at his watch and said, “Come, I have to be somewhere in little more than an hour, I will drop you off at home. At least I will know you reached there safely.”

Anurag watched as they rose from their respective seats. The waiter rushed to return the man’s credit card, and waited for him to sign the slip. They then left the shop and met up with the girl and her companion or grandmother, Anurag wasn’t certain which. As the walked along the passage, Anurag got flashes of the girl and Prerna. They were attending a ceremony… at Basu Baari? He recognized the backdrop. It did not make sense and only served to confuse him even more. But the girl seated comfortably in her lap spoke of familiarity. There was another of them sleeping together… Had the child been sick? Because there was no way that if Prerna had been his wife he would willingly let her sleep anywhere other than besides him.

Having watched their interaction, it was obvious that there was no animosity between them, so Anurag could not even deduce how matters could have gone astray between them. His concern only grew as he watched the man open the passenger-side door for her and waited for her to settle before closing it. He then rounded the car and checked the door the girl had used before dismissing his driver and settling behind the steering wheel. To any onlooker they looked like a happy little family on their way home. The image only enforced when Prerna and the young girl again engaged in animated conversation. All this, while Anurag felt as if he was losing his mind.