Chat Clubs

TrollBaaaz Corner#40(Invites Only) - Page 68

AreYaar thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Fary, I finally watched Asuran yesterday....Damn, what a hard hitting movie! 

Matlab, it just leaves you reeling in so many portions with how raw it is.....the subject matter, the casual casteism, the cycle of violence. 

And Dhanush playing both the older weary father along with the younger version of himself.....amazing job. I really liked the lady who played his wife too...so fierce. Even the guy who played his son. 

It's a bit hard to follow the subtitles sometimes cuz the scenes move SO fast and the characters speak very fast, so the subtitles can't always keep up. 

Maybe this is how non-Hindi speakers feel if they watch a film where the characters speak so fast and subtitles can't keep up😆

Actually I finally got around to watching this film cuz I watched this Film Companion segment yesterday with directors who make issue-based films and it had Vetri Maaran in the group.....when I heard him speak about his process and the films he makes, I got intrigued enough to check out Asuran then only. 

If anyone is interested, here is the link.....it's an AWESOME watch. Some really powerful conversations in here and the points made by Dibaker, Nagaraj Manjule, Vetri Maaran, and Nandita Das as well. 

I was especially struck by the powerful films on casteism made by both Nagaraj and Vetri....Anubhav Sinha made Article 15 which I really liked too, but Asuran and Sairat leave you unsettled in a more powerful way....Nagaraj especially has a very poignant way of describing the system and cycle of oppression. 

Dibaker is one of my fav. directors but he is clearly struggling to make his kind of films right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyFjpiqK3ho

Edited by AreYaar - 4 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

naadanmasakalli thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9

This content was originally posted by-AreYaar

Fary, I finally watched Asuran yesterday....Damn, what a hard hitting movie! 

Matlab, it just leaves you reeling in so many portions with how raw it is.....the subject matter, the casual casteism, the cycle of violence. 

And Dhanush playing both the older weary father along with the younger version of himself.....amazing job. I really liked the lady who played his wife too...so fierce. Even the guy who played his son. 

It's a bit hard to follow the subtitles sometimes cuz the scenes move SO fast and the characters speak very fast, so the subtitles can't always keep up. 

Maybe this is how non-Hindi speakers feel if they watch a film where the characters speak so fast and subtitles can't keep up😆

Actually I finally got around to watching this film cuz I watched this Film Companion segment yesterday with directors who make issue-based films and it had Vetri Maaran in the group.....when I heard him speak about his process and the films he makes, I got intrigued enough to check out Asuran then only. 

If anyone is interested, here is the link.....it's an AWESOME watch. Some really powerful conversations in here and the points made by Dibaker, Nagaraj Manjule, Vetri Maaran, and Nandita Das as well. 

I was especially struck by the powerful films on casteism made by both Nagaraj and Vetri....Anubhav Sinha made Article 15 which I really liked too, but Asuran and Sairat leave you unsettled in a more powerful way....Nagaraj especially has a very poignant way of describing the system and cycle of oppression. 

Dibaker is one of my fav. directors but he is clearly struggling to make his kind of films right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyFjpiqK3ho

I told you so ! This film blew my mind  it was too much to digest but still so damn Good. Every detail pinches you. 

The lady  who played his wife is manju warrier  actually  from malyalam industry it was her tamil debut . She is just  fab. The little boy was so good too but dhanush man what am amazing performance. Dhanush and vetrimaran  are such a good pair  pair most of the films they make are simply amazing I mean he is 4 times national award winner and with dhanush he has that special actor director bond . You should totally  check out vada Chennai on prime too by these 2 and well aadukalam ( i think it will be on einthusan as it is few yrs old) but they both won a national  award for that and it has tapsee too. 

Then there is visaranaai  this one is very hard to watch at times I had to take breaks and it haunted me for days . This is produced by dhanush and veteimaaran. Yes they do joint ventures as producers too  as they are pretty close  and was also in the run for academy nominations in 2018. But if you want  a slightly lighter film from these 2 then it is kaala muttai.  Man this one made me smile and tear up at the same time at the innocence of the 2 kids and left me thanking God for all the blessings . It is about 2 slum kids  having the dream to eat a pizza and how they try to acheive  that goal. Puts the point across but in a slightly lighter fun way .has it's  sensitive moments but still awesome 

Asuran left me in awe. A parent's fierceness to protect their child. Against all odds. Dhanush was simplyyyyyyyy outstanding as the tame father telling them to be tame too caz well he had experience from past but once his that sides comes out he gives his all in. I loved the sons being rebels against the system too 

Ahh this film...I need to rewatch 

Thanks for the link will check it out  the  panel  is damn interesting. 

Edited by naadanmasakalli - 4 years ago
AreYaar thumbnail

Thanks for the recommendations, Fary! Will try to check out these ones too :) 

Forgot to mention one other thing I loved about Asuran was the music....especially that intense music that would build up in a fight sequence whenever Dhanush ka character would rise up to fight. 

The scene when his first son is killed and the way they found his body was just so horrifying, I’m still haunted by the visual. Even more so because this is sadly not fiction....this is the truth in so many parts of the country....this sense of entitlement to brutalize anyone for their gender or caste. 

Really well made movie and now I feel like checking out all of this director’s work because of how well spoken he is in explaining his work. 

Thappad is getting great reviews too. Hope to watch that one soon as well. 

Thanks for the recommendations, Fary! Will try to check out these ones too :) 

Forgot to mention one other thing I loved about Asuran was the music....especially that intense music that would build up in a fight sequence whenever Dhanush ka character would rise up to fight. 

The scene when his first son is killed and the way they found his body was just so horrifying, I’m still haunted by the visual. Even more so because this is sadly not fiction....this is the truth in so many parts of the country....this sense of entitlement to brutalize anyone for their gender or caste. 

Really well made movie and now I feel like checking out all of this director’s work because of how well spoken he is in explaining his work. 

Thappad is getting great reviews too. Hope to watch that one soon as well. 

Oh yeah the music is really outstanding too esp the theme. 

That scene gave me chills like that is the first visual that comes to my head when I say asuran.the moment they took the brother away and the way they took him I knew this is not going to end well but still that was way beyond expecatations and I liked that they didn't  try to make it mild and left it the way it was caz it is the reality. Just the sheer pain of the parents/family seeing that visual  send chilld down my spine I mean it was hard to see as fiction but people see that in real unfortunately . That is enough to scar anyone for life.

Well am glad you watched it and liked it too doesn't  matter what made you to take the plunge 😆 

Thappad yeah I've heard good things  too  I'll probably just wait till it comes on ott platform too caz nowadays I just don't  feel like leaving my house just to watch a movie also am spoiled now I can't  tolerate people talking or disrupting me in theaters mujhe ek dum shanti se films dekhne ki aadat lag gayi hai and I'd just watch on my own in my own space 😆 esp the content driven films.baaki masala yeah i can drag myself out for caz dimaag ki zaroorat nahi hoti while watching🤣 So people disrupting is ok

Also I tried watching dabaang3 a few days back and don't  ask gave up in 20 mins despite being a hardcore fan of salman ki masala features . It was next level of crass and vulgar.so much gundagi in name of entertainment  I just couldn't  and said a prayer for those who  actually  paid to watch this  I was like wth is this idk if anyone was thinking at all. I mean I watch enough masala and enjoy it too I have my days with what kind of feature I want to watch but that was just🤬 I am still horrified by that 🤢

Ok idk where did this come from in this post but random storytime over. I guess my point was people ask why regional esp south cinema and not bollywood well here's  the reason I get soild content in those films and even when they make masala they make it well and super entertaining  like e.g rn am high on allu arjun again after  watching ala vaikanthpuramloo such a mass complete family entertainer ek dum feel good  wali also such a joy watching bunny dance always have enjoyed it but in the mid his films were so blah but now he's  back and smoother than ever before and yes am crushing 😆 Plus his little vids with real life daughter are making me crush harder caz soooo cute .  Just wished tabu had mite scenes with bunny  but yeah if you want to watch  something fun with bit of masala fights the seeti maaro ones  after the heavy asuran this one is it.😆 Now playing on Netflix.  Though vetrimaran's cinema Is more your types and I highly  recommend  the rest of his work too but as I said earlier it gets really heavy at times to the point where 1 has to cover their eyes  the case with visaranai. I weeped like a baby in that one but it is as close to reality as it gets when a common person gets involved with our desi police and isn't  well connected 

Ok goes and plays the music videos for the 9th time caz well bunny ☺️

AreYaar thumbnail

This content was originally posted by-naadanmasakalli

Though vetrimaran's cinema Is more your types and I highly  recommend  the rest of his work too 

LOL yeah, I like people who want to portray things thoughtfully, not just do mindless slapstick masala. That's the fine line that I need in a film, which is why not all south indian films are to my taste....cuz there's plenty of slapstick masala that doesn't work for me.....lol 

I liked a lot of the things that Vetri Maran said in that IV....including the point that our existence in itself is political....to try to bury your head in the sand doesn't change reality. When you use art and film as a medium to make a statement, people can supercharge it politically but at the end of the day, even your very existence can be a political act.....it's up to you how you choose to harness that.  These people are doing it through the stories they are telling. 

Re: watching films in theaters....lol yeah for me also it depends on timing to manage to get to the theater, otherwise I usually wait for it to show up online somewhere.....waise bhi there is just too much content in daily life to keep up with, there isn't always time to take out to go to the theater. 

Chalo, hope you are enjoying your music videos....haha😆

Edited by AreYaar - 4 years ago

LOL yeah, I like people who want to portray things thoughtfully, not just do mindless slapstick masala. That's the fine line that I need in a film, which is why not all south indian films are to my taste....cuz there's plenty of slapstick masala that doesn't work for me.....lol 

I liked a lot of the things that Vetri Maran said in that IV....including the point that our existence in itself is political....to try to bury your head in the sand doesn't change reality. When you use art and film as a medium to make a statement, people can supercharge it politically but at the end of the day, even your very existence can be a political act.....it's up to you how you choose to harness that.  These people are doing it through the stories they are telling. 

Re: watching films in theaters....lol yeah for me also it depends on timing to manage to get to the theater, otherwise I usually wait for it to show up online somewhere.....waise bhi there is just too much content in daily life to keep up with, there isn't always time to take out to go to the theater. 

Chalo, hope you are enjoying your music videos....haha😆

😆 I am well aware my Lord that's  why I try to recommend only quality products to you😛

I am excited  to watch that IV now

It's pioneered by Bollywood so why blame tollywood for it.har koi har kisi ko copy kar raha hai.meri opinion sabko pata hai on remakes hate them and will forever hate them doesn't  matter   which industry is making them🤷🏻‍♀️ isse zyada won't  say anything caz as previously  said many times despite all this tollywood is progressing with so many quality  films in recent times so if they remake atleast they have their heart in the right place despite the cliches unlike bollywood where there is a dearth for originality it is one GB or thappad in a year and rest just lame biopics and remakes  

av131 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

This content was originally posted by-naadanmasakalli

It's pioneered by Bollywood so why blame tollywood for it.har koi har kisi ko copy kar raha hai.meri opinion sabko pata hai on remakes hate them and will forever hate them doesn't  matter   which industry is making them🤷🏻‍♀️ isse zyada won't  say anything caz as previously  said many times despite all this tollywood is progressing with so many quality  films in recent times so if they remake atleast they have their heart in the right place despite the cliches unlike bollywood where there is a dearth for originality it is one GB or thappad in a year and rest just lame biopics and remakes  

not blaming Fary, just mentioning. I am from Andhra and mostly watch Telugu movies and few Hindi movies. I actually don't mind remakes, I see it as good content getting wider reach, there are many ppl who didn't watch Andhadun or Asuran or Pink, so remakes are made for them...ppl like us who already watched can just avoid them...ultimately good stories have to reach ppl irrespective of language barrier.

I didn't watch 3 idiots, I saw its telugu remake Snehitudu coz back then I didn't know Hindi

Same like I didn't see OMG - Oh My God , I watched its telugu remake Gopala Gopala

Similarly I saw Drushyam telugu remake of Malayalam movie

Evaru is spanish movie remake, I am glad its remade otherwise I would have missed out on such a good film

Now since I grew up and have PC, I watch movies in its original languages only with subs😆

Edited by amrutha131 - 4 years ago
AreYaar thumbnail

Wow they are remaking Asuran too? 😆

I agree that remakes have the potential to reach wider audiences but it’s a delicate balance and the challenge always is to retain the essence of the original even as you adapt to a different audience. 

Hope they don’t mess with Andhadun ka script and can live up to the original. The script is the biggest hero of that film.