Pranbir TS: A Bit of Friendly Advice

Posted: 4 years ago

Hey everyone! I thought to try a full fledged Pranbir TS this time. Again, this could be read in continuation of my two previous OS/Drabble but can also be read as a standalone.

*** PART 1***

Prachi Arora was a smart girl. At 20, she was very clear about her life. Her love life, or lack thereof, was sorted. She would marry at the age of 25-26 to a suitable, well-settled man of her mother's choosing. That department was not her concern. Her only concern was her career and for that, she had a foolproof plan ready. She would pass her college with flying colours and become a teacher. 

Her love for kids was not the only factor that shaped up these plans. She had grown up with a mother who herself was a teacher, and a very loved and respected one too. In a small town like Hoshiyarpur, her mother's polished but pleasing manners, as well as her deep knowledge of her subjects made her the toast of academic circles. Prachi remembered how many of her class fellows would envy her all because they wanted a mother like hers. She remembered all those beautiful bouquets, greeting cards, chocolates, cakes and other small gifts that students would bring for her mother on the latter's birthday or Teacher's Day. Truly, a good teacher's worth was invaluable and her life, wonderful. She shaped lives and success of her students was her reward. Prachi wanted that life.

It was then, to her utter bewilderment and confusion, that she found herself working as a PA in a music company. Earlier, it had been about the money. She wanted to relieve her mother of her financial burden by earning enough for herself so as to never ask for pocket money and to save as well. The job at the event planning company had been fine, until those fiascos happened. All she had wanted was a simple part-time job where she could work and earn without compromising on her studies. 

Instead, she found herself working in a fantastic office with many people close to her age where the pay was wonderful and the perks, unparalleled. Mehra Sir, Purab Sir and Kohli Sir were wonderful bosses who were understanding and fun and she had a genuinely good time working at the office, often wondering about her future here.

And this was confusing because she never came here for a future. Her designed future office was a school filled with beautiful noisy kids, not this high-end tech-savvy office with professionals. Life could take very weird turns sometimes.

With this small piece of unclarity also came some apprehension. She was very sure of her place here, despite being a part-time employee and one of the many PAs available. She felt she belonged in this space, the energy drove her to her max potential and she hardly felt like it was a job that had to be done. With a growing sense of distress, she realized that she enjoyed working here.

Currently, one of her many dilemmas was working with Ranbir. Ranbir, as he confessed himself, was not good at all this. He wasn't made for studying. He wasn't made for this office work. He wasn't made for sitting at one place for a long period of time. Yet, he was her superior here. She, a hard-working and meritorious worker, was a subordinate of a chilled out, easygoing and clueless boss like him. All because he was the son of the boss. And despite all her thoughts of this office not being a part of her long-term career plans, she felt indignant. 

Prachi Arora was also a kind soul. She may love you or she may hate you but she can never let you fail. She believed that every person must do his or her best. And this was why she felt very irritated when she saw Ranbir wasting his potential in this office. It made her angry to see him loitering around the office without a purpose. However, it INFURIATED her when she saw him distract others from their work in the form of flirting and gossiping. Office gossip is fine sometimes but not all the time. And Ranbir Kohli had trouble understanding that.

Thus, on a fine morning in the month of November, a determined Prachi made her way to an unsuspecting Ranbir's cabin. She had a mission she was going to fulfill. Her mother, God bless her, had taught her to be fearless when fighting for a cause. And she had a cause- making a serious man out of Ranbir Kohli. The said man was currently revelling in the beauty of the scene from his cabin window and marvelling at the way the smoke in Delhi had cleared up. The air was cool and crisp, the garden below had beautiful flowers and there was some sunshine adding to the pleasure. Had Ranbir been dating, this was exactly the type of day he would take his girl to a date on.

Alas, there was no girl and so, there was no date. The girl he wanted to date AKA Rhea, wanted him to date someone else AKA Prachi and that girl knew only one date- the one that came from a calendar. 

An abrupt knock pulled Ranbir out of his reverie and he found himself facing the woman of his dreams.....err, his thoughts. Prachi, in a literal sense, was standing with her hands on her hips, looking like his mother does when she spots his father flirting with another woman. Or when Prachi spots HIM flirting with another girl. Ranbir gulped.

"Ranbir, I want to talk to you." Prachi said with conviction. An endless stream of possibilities that brought her to his cabin flowed through his mind. 

Flirting? Nah. The last time he flirted was with Prachi, recently. Ranbir winced when he remembered the lecture that he received.

Violence? Aah well.......no. The last time he beat someone up, Prachi took the credits. He smothered a smirk when he imagined that night.

Stealing? Godddddd, obviously not! Ranbir Kohli doesn't steal anything..........apart from women's hearts.

Work? Oh damn. Yes. Work!

Ranbir Kohli was a bad boy. He had resolved to be good with only Prachi but if she was here to give him more work than what he had, his goodness would run away faster than that creep Sanju had, after Ranbir dealt with him post the Diwali debacle.

"Ranbir! Are you listening to me?"

Prachi had invited herself in and was now standing in front of him. To be fair, she was beautiful. She still had her comforting face but it was because she was beautiful. Ranbir's heart sank as he realised that he was now thinking about Prachi's beauty when she was obviously here to overburden him with work. He must be mad, he decided.

"I am listening. Have a seat and proceed."

Ranbir looked at Prachi curiously as she sat down and took a breath. She was carrying no file and no papers. Maybe she wasn't here for work.

"I had something very important to discuss with you."

"Hmm. I am all ears."

"I...I....."

"Love you?" Ranbir suggested cockily. He knew he would have hell to pay later but opportunities to tease Prachi were priceless. To his immense delight, Prachi turned red and started ranting.

"You are such a persistent and foolish man! How many times should I tell you that I am not interested in you? You aren't some Greek God or Mr. Darcy or Zaroon Junaid that girls fall on your feet........."

Wait. Ranbir figured out that Mr. Darcy was some fictional character but who is this Zara guy?

"Umm, who?" Ranbir asked Prachi, trying to appear as uninterested as possible. His level was interest was although as much as the hair on his glorious head.

"What who?"

"I am not like who? You took some names....."

"That doesn't matter! You aren't some hero that I would fall in love with you! Stop flirting with me and especially, stop flirting with me in the office!"

"His name was with Z. That guy whose name you just took....." 

"Oh God! Is that all you heard? You are unbelievable. Why am I even talking to you....."

"You came to my cabin, if I may be so kind to remind you."

Prachi took a deep breath. She had a purpose. She wouldn't leave her mission halfway. Never. She would try again, with a fresh start.

Meanwhile, Ranbir was still trying to remember that guy's name. It was a pity he was in so much glee at having troubled Prachi that he didn't properly listen to her. An idea struck him.

"Prachi, see, we have a lot of work today. I propose this conversation wait till lunchtime. Despite my lackadaisical attitude, I do have work that I can't avoid. We will go out for lunch where you shall tell me all about this important stuff. But this will have to wait, for you know we have a meeting after lunch today." Ranbir spoke with a solemn face.

Prachi was mollified when Ranbir mentioned work but narrowed her eyes suspiciously when he mentioned lunch outside. Ranbir picked up on her thoughts and reassured her that it was 'just lunch'. Nothing more, nothing less.

Meanwhile, Ranbir would spend his time trying to remember exactly what the name of that Zara guy was........

Hey! Please read and leave your thoughts behind. Next part could come soon, possibly this afternoon.

Edited by aynat-22 - 4 years ago

Originally posted by pranbirkridha

awsmly awsme plz pist next part

Hey! Thanks a lot. It will be updated today positively.

Awesome!! Loved it ❤️❤️ please continue

Loved it! Write more please

And thank you so much for this!

Originally posted by pranbirkridha

awsmly awsme plz pist next part

Hey, thanks! I am just about to post.

Originally posted by Sweta10

Awesome!! Loved it ❤️❤️ please continue

Thanks a lot😊

Originally posted by aysha1989

Loved it! Write more please

And thank you so much for this!

Thanks a lot😊

Hey everyone! Back here with Part 2, as promised.

***PART 2***

An hour after noon found Prachi and Ranbir sitting outside a small but sweet cafe, reading their menus intently. Prachi found the selection of food to be great while Ranbir found Prachi great.....I mean, Prachi's enthusiasm great. After ordering food for themselves, Ranbir folded his hands on his lap, looking at Prachi expectantly. Prachi didn't waste time either.

"Ranbir, I am your friend."

"Breaking News, Prachi!"

"RANBIR!"

"Okay, continue."

"So what I am about to say is just friendly advice. Please remember that. Hear me out and then, react. Okay?"

"Okay."

Ranbir then sat amazed as Prachi went on a rant that encompassed his carefree attitude, negligence towards work, lack of purpose in life and his upcoming fall from grace. Prachi didn't mince words. She told him, in clear words, what she felt about him. Ranbir could feel his ire grow.

The return of the server with their order put a small break on what Ranbir saw as Prachi's diatribe. As soon as the server left, Ranbir turned defensive.

"Okay! So you brought me here to insult me?"

"You brought me here."

"Details."

"I didn't mean to insult you."

"I am also in love with you! No, wait, YOU LISTEN! For the past fifteen minutes, you have been telling me that you find me a good-for-nothing rich brat who doesn't deserve a place in his father's office. You have told me that I am almost a wastrel who has no purpose or goals in life and that I need to buck up. Now, may I know exactly WHY I am being attacked in this way by you, my friend?"

"Don't try to twist my words. I just told you that you aren't working as hard as you must. Even you cannot deny that you been given a position that people can't reach despite years of honest hard work. You have been given it on a platter and rather than making the most of this opportunity, you are wasting it. And I can't see you do this to yourself and this company. I am loyal, both to you and this office."

"What is the purpose?"

"To show you that you need to start taking your work and yourself seriously! You hardly work and I find it sad that you are wasting your potential..."

Ranbir scoffed. "What potential? Are you seriously that blind? I am NOT made for this. I come here because Papa wants me to, but other than that, I have no head for the work."

Prachi pursed her lips in disapproval. "What makes you think you aren't suitable for the job? You handled stuff well enough for an inexperienced person when your father was missing. Now, you are gaining experience, you must progress!"

"I MUST progress. But I AM NOT progressing. And it's obvious why. I am a failure. A complete, utter failure! That's what you wanted to say, right? That's what you meant. There, I said it. I am a failure. Happy?"

"Ranbir, stop overacting please! You know I didn't mean what you are saying. And you know what I actually meant."

Ranbir looked at the woman in front of him, the woman he was friends with and who he had sworn to protect at any cost. Prachi was a kind soul but she could be very blunt, bordering on rude sometimes.

"Look Prachi. Neither you, nor I are permanent here in this office. I am here just for some time until I find my purpose in life while you are pursuing B.Ed and so, will become a teacher. For temporary employees, we are doing good. And other than that, I have nothing to say."

Prachi looked at Ranbir in disbelief. Ranbir felt slightly uncomfortable as he saw her face, choosing to distract himself by having a bite of his food.

"You are really delusional, if you think that YOU are temporary in this office, Ranbir."

"I am temporary, believe me. Dad knows I am incapable of doing this job."

"You utter fool.........your Dad doesn't know you are incapable. He is judging whether you are capable!"

Ranbir stopped speaking and looked at Prachi. Her eyes were wide open and she was huffing in anger. A wave of sympathy rushed through him. Taking her hand, he gently patted it.

"Prachi, I know you are a great friend. I also know you wish me well. But please, stop trying to make me what I am not. And stop trying to sugarcoat stuff for me. Even a blind man can tell that I have no head for this work. It's okay, if not this, I can focus on football. And singing! You told me, I sing well."

"Ranbir, you really aren't seeing things, are you? Listen to me once and let me explain. Then, tell me what you think. Alright?"

Ranbir nodded. Prachi shook his hand off hers and he mourned the loss of contact.

"Why do you think you were called to the office to work?"

"Because Dad got injured."

"Okay. So why YOU? Why not Aryan, whose father is also one of the bosses? Or Rhea? Or why was someone immediately reporting to the three men not appointed temporarily?"

Ranbir pondered over the questions. In truth, he had always believed he came as a replacement for his father. But his Dad had healed and joined back and he was still working here.

Prachi continued. "See, Rhea, Aryan and you are equal in terms of your fathers' positions in this business as well as your merit. Why were YOU specifically chosen?"

"I have no idea, actually. I think Dad was trying to make me appreciate the work he does and wanted to straighten me up....."

"Straighten you up for what?"

"I don't know. I think, in general."

"Wrong. Had this been just general, you would have been relinquished from your position as soon as your Dad joined again, for you now understand the work your father puts. You are still here though. Ever wondered why?"

Ranbir shook his head.

"It's obvious Ranbir. You are to take an important position in this office. There is a chance for you to actually be the face of this company!"

Ranbir snorted. "I am incapable, you know it too. I have no head for numbers and all."

"What do you do here?"

"I oversee events, check Chief's schedules and meetings with potential investors and sponsors, I sometimes go with him to recordings too....."

"Exactly. Your father may assign you work and may take reports from you but you majorly do Mehra Sir's work. Am I right?"

"Actually, you are right. I work for Chief."

"Now, do you see? Your father does the numbers and operations, Purab Sir and Aliya ma'am do marketing, advertising, negotiations, hiring and business by dealing and seeing clients, sponsors and investors. And Mehra Sir, he oversees all this but he has a bigger role in this company. What is it?"

"He is the face of the company. It is a music company and he is the Rockstar. There is no company without him."

"Excellent. And you work FOR him. You work directly under him. Now, do you understand?"

Ranbir, as much as he adored the expectant and content face that Prachi made, had to concede that he was now further confused.

"You idiot! You are going to take Mehra Sir's place!"

Ranbir looked at her in alarm "What makes you think so? Who told you this?"

Prachi blew a breath. "It's obvious. The work that your Dad and Aryan's parents do can be done by anyone. No offense, but all their work is actually doable by anybody who has done MBA and has experience in the field. It's all numbers, marketing, HR, sales and all that. Anybody can be hired for that. It is Mehra Sir, whose position is important. He is the musician that this music company is running on. He spots new talent, he trains them, he composes new music, he releases albums, he sings and the publicity and revenue generated is all because of his reputation and popularity."

"Yeah, I agree. Fair point. But what does it have to do with me?" Ranbir asked as he scratched his head.

"Ranbir, don't you see? When Kohli Sir, Purab Sir and Aliya ma'am retire, new people can be hired to do their jobs. But what will happen when Mehra Sir retires? This company, even though it is established, needs a face. It needs a musician, a new Rockstar who will run it and take it to new heights." Prachi said as she smiled widely. 

"Again, fair point. But what am I to do in this? What is my role?" Ranbir returned her smile hesitantly. Prachi slapped her forehead.

"Okay, this is clearly not working. Let me ask one more question to make it simpler. Ranbir, what is similar between you and your Chief?"

Ranbir thought for a while. Then it struck him. It all dawned on him suddenly, as if he had been dosed with cold water. "We both make music and sing!" He replied, have voice uncharacteristically low and weak.

Prachi clapped her hands. "Now, do you see? You made your talent and your appreciation for music obvious on Rhea's birthday when you performed Bachna Ae Haseeno. You are talented and you love music. Further, you are also the son of one of the heads. Everything is favourable here. All you have to do is take an active interest in the company and slowly learn Mehra Sir's work and commitments. You are doing the latter. You are being given an opportunity to be like your Chief, Ranbir. You are getting what you dreamed of but you are wasting it away like a fool!"

Ranbir looked at Prachi in wonder. She was right. Chief asked him a lot of questions about work and took him to his recordings too. He never reported to his father for professional reasons. It was his Chief, for who he worked. Was it possible? Was what Prachi saying really true?

"Prachi, do you really think this is happening?"

"Of course! Why would they continue keeping you in such an important position when they could hire someone deserving and qualified who worked better and full time? To incorporate you into the company. To give you the space to understand, love and commit to this. Which you are failing in, since you don't seem to understand the privilege."

Ranbir took a deep breath. It had been his childhood dream to someday be like his Chief and make him proud. And for the past few months, he had been given the opportunity of an extended internship and mentorship, as well as a one-on-one with him and Ranbir had not seen it. He wanted to kick himself.

"What do I do now Prachi? If you have spotted my attitude in office, I am sure everyone else has too. Is my impression too bad now?"

"First of all, do you really want to do this? Are you ready to someday take over?"

"If I get to do what Chief is doing, then YES. I want to sing, I want to perform, I want to have an impact on people through music."

"Then no. The impression isn't bad. You are seen as a nice, fun loving son of the boss. Not too bad as to leave you behind. You can start developing the image of someone serious about the future of the company easily."

"How?"

"For one, start dressing up properly. The office dress code is smart casuals, not casuals. Wear proper shoes, look more like a professional than some 90's hippie Rockstar. Even Mehra Sir, who is the Rockstar himself, doesn't dress up like you in the office."

"Duly noted. I will go shopping today itself. Will you come with me?"

"Not today, I have work. We will go after college tomorrow. Another thing, start clearing your backlog. There are many files in your cabin that need to be worked on. Complete them. Show everyone that you are productive."

"Really boring work, but anything for Chief."

"Awesome. And lastly, start giving valuable inputs in meetings. You are in that position where you can give suggestions or improvements. Be humble but assertive. It will show Mehra Sir and your Dad that you are taking this work seriously and are a value to the company."

"Okay. I could start today, with the investors. That is.......if I do have some good suggestion."

"I hope you come up with something. Another thing, Ranbir. Start practising your music. Work on your voice, practise your instruments and work on new tunes. You ultimately want to do that."

"Oh yes! Chief practises daily and I used to practise daily too but since I started playing football, it reduced and eventually, stopped. I will work on it."

"Good. I guess this is enough for now. Start taking baby steps and see how your fate changes soon. I am sure it will go well."

Ranbir smiled at Prachi and she returned one of her own. He leaned towards her, ignoring the way his heart started beating faster as he got close to her.

"Thank you Prachi. I....I needed this push. For a long time, I have been unsure of my goals and my purpose in life. Since you mentioned music that day in college, it had been on my mind but I wasn't sure how to proceed. But now....I know. All thanks to you. You are a really good friend."

"I know."

"You are supposed to say 'welcome', actually."

"I would say welcome but I don't accept your thanks. Because there are no 'thank yous' and 'sorrys' in friendships."

"Ahaan, filmi? Okay, then. But you really are wonderful."

Ranbir smiled as Prachi giggled. Sure, she was irritating and boring and lecturing, but she was the best human being he knew. And for him, that was what made her special.

Abhishek Mehra stood before the projector screen, looking around him. All the personal secretaries stood taking notes while the investors sat, reviewing the presentation he had just made. Vikram gave him a thumbs up while Purab nodded his head with a smile, showing his approval. Ranbir sat with a contemplative expression on his face.

Abhishek truly cared for this young man, who reminded him of himself. He wanted to make Ranbir his protégé but for that, Ranbir would have to prove himself capable of the job. And till now he had been satisfactory at best. He broke his thoughts to turn to the investor who was now speaking.

"Mr. Mehra, I believe the proposal is good enough. But I doubt your new album would generate that numbers. People like listening to you. This album is all about newcomers and just has one connection to you- your name on it. I would have invested money had you been singing but right now, I don't see a solid reason for investing."

Abhi was reaching a state of panic as he listened. These 'newcomers' were products of a charitable music institute that he had built in the memory of his daughter Kiara. Poor and underprivileged but musically talented children came to study music here for free. If Abhi failed to launch them, there would be disaster and a personal sense of failure and disappointment.

The boardroom was abuzz with whispering. Abhi crossed his fingers behind him, praying for a miracle. An unexpected voice spoke over the chaos.

"I believe I have a solution for this."

Abhi looked towards the source of this voice and sure enough, found Ranbir looking at him. Abhi was flummoxed. Ranbir was speaking? He had solutions? At the moment, he was ready for any help. He nodded at Ranbir to continue.

Ranbir cleared his throat and patted his head consciously. "I...I think we can create a buzz around this album on social media. Let Chief.......Abhi Sir promote the newcomers himself on all platforms. Show some behind-the-scenes videos and release teasers of the songs. Show Abhi Sir mentoring the singers in those videos. Basically, use Abhi Sir, his popularity and his and the company's channels to promote this new album. Abhi sir could also accompany them to reality shows, news channels and radio stations to help promote them. And.....we can include one song sung by him too. Just in the album, not to be released anywhere else. And promote the teaser of that song along with the ones sung by the others. It would make fans want to buy the album. Just a thought."

Abhi looked at Ranbir in amazement as the latter let out a huge breath after finishing. He was impressed. Ranbir's suggestions were in sync with the way millennials thought and were very good and workable. Around him, he could see his surprise mirroring on everyone's faces. Vikram looked proud. As Abhi looked back at Ranbir, he saw him look towards Prachi and shrug his shoulders apprehensively. Prachi gave him a huge smile and an inconspicuous thumbs up and a nod that put a smile on Ranbir's face. 'Interesting', Abhi thought.

Ranbir looked back towards Abhi and looked at him in apprehension. Abhi smiled slowly and Ranbir realized that his suggestions were welcome. He looked around and saw his father looking super proud and for the first time, Ranbir felt like crying because he was just too happy. All because of Prachi. And her large heart.

How could he break that very heart with his own hands?

******THE END******

Edited by aynat-22 - 4 years ago

dont end continue it more pranbir