Debate Mansion

Infidelity and Investment - Page 2

Sutapasima thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

This content was originally posted by: manzilmukul

We aren’t probably regressive but slowly there is a shift in the kind of stories we are telling. We were never a monogamous society to begin with. 

'

Hi 

I am just curious to know ... do you think what they are showing in the fiction (KZK2) is a reflection of real society ?? or are they predicting this is the way we are heading for ?? thru this fiction ??

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Transference thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

This content was originally posted by: Sutapasima

'

Hi 

I am just curious to know ... do you think what they are showing in the fiction (KZK2) is a reflection of real society ?? or are they predicting this is the way we are heading for ?? thru this fiction ??

Suta, why only KZK but many shows have that gradual shift. Marital vows were shown to be of prime importance in earlier shows. Now, they are showing all forms of infidelity. I mean not on your face but slowly I see a generic shift in storytelling. It has changed and now TV is becoming reflective of the change as well. 

Sutapasima thumbnail

Suta, why only KZK but many shows have that gradual shift. Marital vows were shown to be of prime importance in earlier shows. Now, they are showing all forms of infidelity. I mean not on your face but slowly I see a generic shift in storytelling. It has changed and now TV is becoming reflective of the change as well. 

I guess this is a natural trend for human societies .. in the west it happened last century .. it's coming to Indian TV  now 

In the west they have progressed to further (what we call regressive disgusting behaviour ) justifying all the incestuous tendencies in the likes of GOT ... 

Transference thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Sutapasima

I guess this is a natural trend for human societies .. in the west it happened last century .. it's coming to Indian TV  now 

In the west they have progressed to further (what we call regressive disgusting behaviour ) justifying all the incestuous tendencies in the likes of GOT ... 

Couldn’t agree more! Social norms, sanctity, monogamy was introduced as a concept because of agriculture, inheritance and eugenics. Specially the Victorian age rebrought chastity! 

Polyamory always existed and ours was a free society. If we go back to the movie Utsav where the wife celebrates the union of her husband with the courtesan. 

music_l0ver036 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Couldn’t agree more! Social norms, sanctity, monogamy was introduced as a concept because of agriculture, inheritance and eugenics. Specially the Victorian age rebrought chastity! 

Polyamory always existed and ours was a free society. If we go back to the movie Utsav where the wife celebrates the union of her husband with the courtesan. 

I know that in some Tibetan culture one woman is married to a house with multiple brothers. I’m pretty sure the reason being what you cited: agriculture and inheritance. Due to the lack of resources people found a way to work around it. Found this on google lol. By marrying brothers, they’re not allowing land to be split between brothers. And Tibetan families retained farms sufficiently large to continue supporting their family. And an extension to that is that more people will be able to look after the farming lands. 

I think polygamy is an interesting topic. I could never be in a polygamous relationship because I’d die of jealousy lmao I think if people who are involved in the relationships are consenting individuals and know the “rules” of the relationship going in it then it could be a cool thing. 
Coming to the points you mentioned about emotional vs sexual infidelity, I think the sexual may be easily disregarded because often times people cite it as having their needs met rather than having true feelings for the person they cheated with?? Either way, if 2 people are together because they both want to be together, they are both committed to each other and know what that actually entails for both parties, and one decides to cheat, whether emotionally or sleeping with someone else, then it needs to be talked about. The person who feels cheated has every right to leave them and fight about how this was not part of what it means to be in a committed relationship. 
It also differs by culture as implied earlier. In the US, people tend to just “talk” to each other in the beginning, then they talk about being more than just friends and if that means being exclusive to each other or if they can see other people, and then people talk about labeling their relationship and finally being committed to each other. It’s not always the case but things are a bit different. I also see that in Pakistani serials theres marriages between cousins so that was also a culture shock. 
some have already moved beyond monogamy and some think that’s the only way to be with someone. 

Transference thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: scarlett22

Interesting topic. In fact, through the various discussions here ..I have been thinking. Concepts like  marriage, loyalty, are they slowly losing importance?  On Sunday, there was an article on work husband, that best friend of yours at work. At what point does this constitute infidelity?? 

In some Scandinavian countries, marriage is not needed for loyalty and lifelong togetherness. There is a commitment made to have kids etc. Yet, there is no formal agreement of marriage. People enter a relationship with full maturity and integrity. Yet, if they separate, the law protects the children. 

I am still old school and I suppose a prude 😆.  But society is changing. It's very evident even here. 

Thank you so much for bringing some thought-provoking points forward. Concepts like monogamy and marriage have evolved over some time ever since man discovered agriculture and shunned the idea of the community bringing up of kids. Sexual liberty was curbed down due to settlements of inheritance, property and land.

The concept of work spouse is alarming, and thus, emotional infidelity is on the rise, which creates a lot of turbulence in the marital families. And, you never know when the thin line is crossed.

I believe very strongly in the matters of the heart and respecting the institution called marriage. Whatever happens between two people is their understanding, but in the case of this show, it's highly convoluted.

Transference thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: music_l0ver036

I know that in some Tibetan culture one woman is married to a house with multiple brothers. I’m pretty sure the reason being what you cited: agriculture and inheritance. Due to the lack of resources people found a way to work around it. Found this on google lol. By marrying brothers, they’re not allowing land to be split between brothers. And Tibetan families retained farms sufficiently large to continue supporting their family. And an extension to that is that more people will be able to look after the farming lands. 

That's how monogamy and marital commitment started. It also included curbing female sexuality so that the male is sure of his parental investment for the offspring that she bears and later can transfer his property to that child. Female polyandry also existed in many communities. 

I think polygamy is an interesting topic. I could never be in a polygamous relationship because I’d die of jealousy lmao I think if people who are involved in the links are consenting individuals and know the “rules” of the relationship going in it then it could be a cool thing. 

Polyamory is openly being explored in a day to day experience as well as in shows. Jealousy is bound to happen in such cases which is the most common contrived form of territorial aggression.

Coming to the points you mentioned about emotional vs sexual infidelity, I think the sexual may be easily disregarded because often times people cite it as having their needs met rather than having true feelings for the person they cheated with?? Either way, if 2 people are together because they both want to be together, they are both committed to each other and know what that actually entails for both parties, and one decides to cheat, whether emotionally or sleeping with someone else, then it needs to be talked about. The person who feels cheated has every right to leave them and fight about how this was not part of what it means to be in a committed relationship. 

I did discuss the difference in perspective of the show too. If we forget the show's premise also, Emotional infidelity is far more damaging as compared to sexual intimacy. It is merely because an emotional investment requires an exhaustive involvement for the other person which can ruin bondings in a marriage which is a social, sexual as well as an emotional contract. For me, laws of the land are not above the matters of the heart but if we accept a social agreement, then it is our responsibility to honour that.

It also differs by culture as implied earlier. In the US, people tend to just “talk” to each other in the beginning, then they talk about being more than just friends and if that means being exclusive to each other or if they can see other people, and then people talk about labeling their relationship and finally being committed to each other. It’s not always the case but things are a bit different. I also see that in Pakistani serials theres marriages between cousins so that was also a culture shock. 
some have already moved beyond monogamy, and some think that’s the only way to be with someone. 

Well, different cultures see commitments, marriages and sexual liaisons differently. It is interesting to see how we, as a society, are slowly accepting the concept of monogamy to be obsolete and are evolving in ways unimaginable a few decades ago. This conflict shall always remain.

As a species, we aren't monogamous because apart from Bonobo apes, we are the only few species who have pleasure associated with sexual associations.

Anyway, coming back to the topic in perspective of the show, would love to know your thoughts about the emotional infidelity aspects too.

Thank you for your interesting comment. Loved it.