Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Neeta Lulla: Can’t change history to make costumes look different

BollyGlitz thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Panipat comparisons with Bajirao Mastani: ‘Can’t change history to make costumes look different,’ says designer Neeta Lulla

Ever since the first trailer of Arjun Kapoor, Kriti Sanon starrer Panipat was unveiled earlier this month, netizens haven’t stop comparing its look to that of Ranveer Singh, Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone film, Bajirao Mastani. In her defence, Panipat’s costume designer Neeta Lulla has said she can’t change history.

Speaking to Mid Day, the ace designer said, “Panipat is set in the same era as Bajirao Mastani. So, how do I change the references? Sadashivrao Bhau [Kapoor’s character] is the nephew of Bajirao Peshwa. Parvati Bai [Sanon’s character] is Sadashivrao’s wife. I cannot change history to make the costumes look different.” Clothes for Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s film were designed by Anju Modi and Maxima Basu.

Neeta also said how for Sadashiv Rao Bhau’s look her team sourced material from across the country, while for Kriti Sanon’s look, they mostly sourced saris from Pune and Kolhapur. She was quoted as saying, “We were shooting in the heat and the armour that he wears weighed a ton, but there was no way he could get rid of it. We picked up sarees from Kolhapur and Pune, and then I mixed [the prints] and re-stitched them. We added special touches to her hairdo by way of clips that bore figures of birds and butterflies.”

Netizens began comparing the look and concept of the two films, immediately after the trailer was out. 

Edited by BollyGlitz - 4 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters