Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sutapasima thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Hello dear K Shandra  

Please check out the new feature for FF writers n give your valuable feed back there 

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5144013

K-Shandra thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Two days later the doorbell chimed.  Prerna gestured to Preeto that she would get it since she was not expecting anyone, and she had grown tired of the neighbours’ curiosity where she and Sneha were concerned. Lately, everyone seemed interested in them and the happenings within the apartment. She was also well aware of the gossip doing the rounds the she and her husband were at odds,which was why she was still living there on her own. 

As she opened the door, Prerna was however ready to face whoever decided to cast a shadow on her doorstep, only to stop in shock on recognizing her visitors. She tried to remember whether Anurag had mentioned anything to her about visitors.

“I can see you are shocked to see us, but that is alright, we intended to surprise you.” Anupam said.

“Yes, and from your appearance I would say we succeeded.” Nivedita said, gesturing to the platter she was carrying. “We’ve come to celebrate the good news with you.”

“Good news?” Prerna asked confused.

“Yes we’re moving into the building, Anupam and I have taken the penthouse  here, You simply must come up some time to see it, the view is amazing.” Nivedita said gesturing for Prena to step aside.

“You have decided to leave home?” Prerna asked as they stepped past her looking particularly at Anupam as she added, “I thought you were happy there.”

“It was time for us to move on, and we liked the penthouse so we bought it.” Nivedita stated flatly.

“But what about your mother?” Prerna asked as shetook the platter from her adding, “There’s enough here for a small army.”

“Oh, I had Dabu make up everyone’s favourites, Anurag will be here a little later, he had a few things to take care of.”Anupam thoughtlessly said.

At the mention of Anurag’s name a bolt of awareness shot through Prerna, she had missed him terribly, and was exited to learn that he would be visiting.

“Anupam, now you’ve gone and spoiled the surprise.”Nivedita chided.       

“Whatever, I’m not sorry,” Anupam quickly replied when Nivedita fixed a stern glare on him. He gestured to Prerna and said, “I mean just look at her, she’s possibly glowing knowing Anu will be here soon.”       

“You know I hate it when you put things like that,”Nivedita said in mock anger while Prerna handed the platter to Preeto. 

Anupam quickly walked over to Prena and said, “So tell us, Prerna, where is our adorable niece? My wife was just dying to see her.”

“You still haven’t told me what Mrs Mohini’s reaction was to you moving out of the house.”

Anupam looked towards Nivedita, who nodded and said,“Well to be perfectly honest, we haven’t told her yet.”

“Why not?” Prerna demanded.  

“Well thing shave been difficult at home lately, and with Anurag having distanced himself from her… let’s just say she is less patient.”

“To be absolutely honest, we haven’t told her because we don’t actually know how to break it to her.” Anupam added.

“But you cannot just leave,” Prerna countered.

“Since you left, things have become really complicated at home. I sometimes think mom was just as shocked as I was when Anu told us that Sonalika was actually Komolika, and she managed to fool us again. But you know how mom is, she just casts aside the matters she refuses to speak or even acknowledge. But it was not so easy for me, Sonalika caused problems for everyone again.”

Prerna simply stated in reply, “Some people never change.”

With a lot more enthusiasm than was strictly needed,Anupam again asked, “So where is this niece of ours. Nivi and I really want to get to know her better.” 

Prerna pointed to the hallway, “She’s sleeping in the room.”

Concerned, Nivedita instantly demanded, “How can you leave her on her own?”

“Relax, Nivedita,” Prena started, and then pointed to the baby monitor. “The baby monitor is on, we’ll hear her if she wakes.”

“Can I go see her?” Nivedita asked.

“Certainly,” Prerna said gesturing for Nivedita to precede her to the short hallway.

Just then Preeto came up to Prerna extending her phone towards her, “Madam, your phone chimed.”

Prerna took her phone from Preeto and quickly checked her messages. 

“Is it important?” Nivedita asked. 

Without much thought Prerna replied,  “It’s Rishabh, he wants to know if I can meet Kukhi for shopping, she needs to get a friend a gift.”

Shocked Nivedita asked, “Are you going to go?”

“I first have to see what day he has in mind.”Prerna said while typing a response and sending it. She then placed her phone on one of the side tables and said, “come let’s go.”

Nivedita looked at Prerna’s phone for a moment and said, “Anu is not going to like that you’re meeting Bajaj,”

“I’m meeting with Kukhi, not Rishahb. And he knows we see each other from time to time.”

“He knows, or he knew?” Nivedita asked outright.

“Picking up on the sharp tone in her voice, Prerna looked at Nivedita and said, “Anurag has never objected, I don’t see why he would do so now.”

“But if he remembers what happened in Switzerland,and how Bajaj managed to take you from him, he may not be as indulgent.” 

“He remembers parts of it.” Prerna said, knowing Anurag still had to divulge exactly how many of those memories he had regained,she however quickly added, “Regardless of what’s happened, Kukhi remains the innocent one in this.”

“Does he know you two meet?” Nivedita asked.

“Yes, we met for an ice cream not to long ago, well before Sneha was born.” On noticing Nivedita’s hesitation Prerna added, “Sister Nivedita, it is nothing to concern yourself with.”

“You know our history with Bajaj, I don’t trust his intentions.”

“I understand your concern, but this is not business. Rishabh has always kept his private life out of business, which is why he keeps his distance from Anurag and your family.”

“I just don’t want to see Anurag get hurt again.”

“I understand, but know that I never had any intention of hurting him. What I did was out of necessity.”

“I understand that.”

On entering the room she shared with Sneha, Prerna said, “Look who’s awake, I think you must have heard that aunt Nivedita is here.” Prerna then lifted Sneha from the cradle, adding, “You’re still far too chirpy to be hungry, so you must be looking for company.”

“Is she still sleeping so much?” Nivedita asked coming to stand next to Prerna.

“She stays awake for longer periods now.” Prerna said and quickly checked Sneha’s nappy. “Seems fine, come we’ll take her with us.” 

“ Just a minute Prerna, I wanted to speak to you without Anupam around. He knows how I feel about everything, but this I need to do on my own.”

“Tell me.”

“I wanted to apologize to you. I know I have not really been fair and that my mother’s influence over me is a poor excuse,because I knew it was wrong, and I want you to know that I am really sorry for all the misunderstandings and misconceptions I allowed her and Komolika to foster. Many of them caused me to even doubt my own judgement and suspicions when Sonolika knew too much of our family matters. The point I’m trying to make is that I’m sorry that my mistrust in my own judgement had me behave towards you the way I have.”

Prerna lifted Sneha a little and asked, “ Do you want to hold her.”

Nivedita looked at her with uncertainty then nodded.

Prerna handed Sneha to Nivedita and said, “It’s fine Nivedita, I understand the complexities of a mother and daughter relationship.Even my mother has at times tried to change my perspective of matters. They are our parents and they want what is best for us.”

“But you never allowed your mother to dictate to you what you should think or feel.”

“Our mothers have opposing personalities, you cannot compare them. “Prerna said picking up a towelling nappy and then draping it over Nivadita’s shoulder. She then reached for Sneha’s hand and rubbing the little girl’s fingers she said, “That is something you come to understand when you also become a mother.”

Just then the doorbell chimed.

“That must be Anu,” Nivedita said, adding, “Please,just act surprised to see him, we weren’t supposed to tell you.”

Prerna nodded and then gestured for Nivedita to go first. 

By the time they reached the lounge, Anupam had already let Anurag into the house. A jolt of joy shot through Prerna on seeing him. Her eyes lit and a smile automatically formed on her lips. Their eyes met, his speaking for him as he lifted his one hand in greeting.

Prerna responded in kind

Anupam took the box of sweets he was carrying and said to all in general, “he’s brought the sweets, so now this is officially a celebration.”

His words seemed to jolt Anurag back. He then walked up to Nivedita and said, “Give Sneha to me.”

Adamant Nividita said, “No, I got here first, so I get to hold her.”

Anurag gave her an incredulous look and countered,“I’m her father, I have first rights.”    

“Oh so you’re pulling rank here,” Nivedita challenged, “Well I’m her aunt and not only did I get naming rights, her mother gave her to me to hold.”

Anurag looked towards Prerna and playfully moaned,“How could you.”

Prerna just turned her palms up in reply.

Anupam stepped forward and said, “Why don’t you give her to me and then you two can argue about who has rights to hold her.”

Both Anurag and Nivedita looked at him in astonishment, Anurag was however t he one to reply, “Get your own baby, this one’s mine.”

Causing Anupam to teasingly reply, “Nivi just give him the baby, before he starts acting like one.”

Anurag feigned irritation, and then took Sneha from Nivedita saying to Sneha, “Where’s daddy’s little girl.”

Just then, Preeto arrived to announced that dinner was ready.

K-Shandra thumbnail

Komilika impatiently paced the length of her room. Her irritation with the useless men she had hired grew with each passing day. Prerna was nowhere to be found. Well Komilika knew she had to be somewhere, but since she no longer had access to information at Basu Bari, as they had changed the guards and given them strict instructions not to disclose any information about the inhabitants, there was no way she could confirm Prerna’s whereabouts. All Ronit’s goons had managed to discover was that Prerna had given birth to a girl and that she was not living with her mother in Sharma Niwas. The only conformation she had was the fact that Anurag returned home daily, which indicated that Prerna and the baby should be in the house.

“No, This does not make any sense, Prerna should have put in an appearance somewhere already. Where are you Prerna? I intend to exact my revenge for what you have done to me.” 

Just then her phone rang. Komolika irritably checked the caller id and then answered,snapping, “You’d better have a good reason for phoning me.”  

The man on the other side of the line replied, “I believe we have found her.”

“Really?”Komolika excitedly replied, then demanded, “Where is she?”

“She’s at the mall, it seems she’s meeting someone.”

“Send me the location and wait for my instructions. I don’t need you guys goofing this one up.”

“Yes!”Komolika exclaimed as she ended the call. “I knew you’d show up somewhere, Prerna”    

Prerna met up with Kukhi at the coffee shop, Prerna had hardly placed Sneha down before Kukhi exclaimed, “Ma!” and hugged her tightly around her waist.

Prerna instinctively hugged the girl back before pushing aside the hair tendrils that fell across the girl’s face, asking, “And how are you?”

“I’m good.”Khuki said and then pointed to the carrier and said, “Want to see.”

Prerna smiled and moved the carrier, lifting the comforted out of the way to allow Kukhi to see Sheha. Kukhi flatly stated, “She is a girl like me.”

Prerna smiled and nodded.

“So she is my sister.” Kukhi flatly declared, her tone was firm just like her father’s.

Prerna did not know how she could explain the situation to the girl so she simply nodded in agreement.

Kukhi was instantly thrilled and said, “Now I can tell Nimmi I also have a sister.”

“Come have something before you go shopping,” Kukhi’s caretaker said, inviting Prerna to sit with them.

Prena quickly caught up with things with Kukhi and discussed what the girl needed to get, and then made a list of stores they would visit. However when they made to leave when the made to leave to the nominated store Kukhi’s caretaker said,“Leave the baby here with me, you two can go, that way you won’t be burdened with her while selecting things for Kukhi.”

Prerna hesitated for a moment, not wanting to entrust Sneha safety with anyone, even if the woman was a registered child minder with all the required clearances.However Kukhi was quick to agree, and Prerna quickly realised the logic behind the suggestion. Dragging Sneha from store to store would take up time, and she would soon have to be fed and changed at some stage as well.

“You have my number, right?” Prerna asked.

“Yes,”

“Call me when she wakes, it’s nearly feeding time.”

“I will do that.”

A while later Sonalika approached the childminder, and with a sugar syrupy voice said,“This is Prena’s baby, right?”

The woman looked at her in confusion, but eventually nodded, “Yes, that’s right.”

“You mind?”Komolika asked indicating to the carrier. Komolika immediately sensed the woman’s resistance and knew she needed to do a great deal more persuasive if the woman would allow her any access to the baby.  Komolka smiled and added, “I haven’t seen her since the naming ceremony.”

The woman finally agreed and opened up to allow Komolika to look at a sleeping Sneha   

‘So this is the little brat he left me for. She’s not even that beautiful. I should think of a way to get her away from this woman, Prerna would be besides herself, and India is a big country, she would spend a lifetime looking for her daughter.’

Unknown to Komolika, her actions were recorded by the man tasked with ensuring Prerna and Sneha’s safety. He stopped recording and phoned Anurag.

“Good morning sir, I am here at the mall with your wife and daughter.”

“Yes, tell me.”

“Your wife left your daughter with the childminder and Ms. Komolika is now with the childminder.”

An alarmed Anurag instantly asked, “Which childminder? We don’t have a childminder.”

“The other little girl’s companion.”

“Oh, And you say Komolika is there with them?”

“I have recorded her interaction as you requested, I think she is trying to convince the woman to let her hold the baby.”

“No! Never,intervene if you must, I don’t care if she learns that Prerna has protection.It might just get her to back off… chances are Ronit’s there as well.  ”

“What must I do?”

“Walk over to them, but stay on the phone, tell the minder you’re looking for Prerna as I’m trying to reach her but her phone is engaged.”

Komolika watched as a man approached them, he was neatly dressed which made her suspicious enough.

“Good afternoon ladies, I’m looking for Mrs. Prena Basu.”

“What would she be doing here?

The man pointed to the baby carrier, “Sneha is with the lady and I know she works for Bajaj,” The man said to Komolika and then turned to look at the childminder,asking, “So, madam, could you tell me where I can find Mrs. Basu?”

Every time the man mentioned Prena’s title Komolika seethed. ‘That’s my title, I’m Mrs. Basu, Prena is a fake. An outright fake and interloper. She can only dream of being Mrs. Basu.” Komolika thought to herself. 

“Mrs. Basu is shopping with Kukhi, why not phone her?”

“Her phone is unreachable and my employer wishes to speak with her. So would you mind telling me where I can find her.”

“They were going to go to several stores. Could you tell me which?”

Perhaps he should try to contact her again.’ The woman outright stated. “I’m certain that if he tries her she will answer.”

The man listened to the person on the line, whom she had a sneaky suspicion was Anurag. The man then turned towards the woman and said, “I’m to take the baby and find Prerna. Instantly the woman took holed of the carrier and firmly said, “No you can’t do that. The baby is left in my care so she goes nowhere.”

The man again listened to the voice on the other side of the line, and then handed the phone to the woman, who still refused to relent her hols on the carrier.

“Yes?” The woman hesitantly said, before listening to the person on the other side. After some time she said, “I’m afraid I can’t do that. The baby was left with me and I will only return her to her mother. Your man is welcome to go look for her or wait here with me, but Prerna left me in charge of the baby and I will not allow her to be taken by anyone other than her mother.”

“On hearing the woman’s words, and having her suspicion confirmed that it was Anurag on the line, Komolika took her leave. She watched from a distance as the man ended the call to Anurag and joined the woman, who in turn covered the baby again.

Prerna returned to the coffee shop her and felt a cold sensation cross  over her body at the sight of the man sitting with the caretaker and Sneha. Although he was not entirely a stranger,she had not hoped to cross his path as soon after leaving the apartment.

Kukhi looked at the newcomer with suspicion, but seemed to relax when Prerna addressed the man. “Why are you here?”

“ She was here?”

Instantly Prerna’s blood ran cold, she however fought to keep calm in front of Kukhi and the child minder, and said in reply, “Anurag sent you.”

The man nodded in affirmation, however answered, “He was trying to get hold of you and your phone was unreachable, and since the lady here refused to divulge to me as to which shop I could find you, so I had no choice but to wait for you.”

Prerna pulled out her phone and checked it.She had no missed calls from Anurag, but said nothing about it as she hit his speed dial.

She waited for the call to connect and was not surprised at the anxious tone in his voice,“Prerna?”

“We’refine,” She replied keeping her voice neutral and continuing before he even got a chance of speaking. “Just got back to the coffee shop with Kukhi, what did you want to speak to me about.”

“Is he there?”

Prerna looked  at the man and said, “Yes, you want to speak to him?”

“Hand him the phone.”

Prerna held her phone towards the man and said, “He wants to speak with you.”

Prerna then turned towards Kukhi and asked, “Was there anything else you needed?”

“No ma,”Kukhi answered.

“Well then I’m going to have to say goodbye, some things have come up, but I will see you soon again.”

Kukhi smiled brightly and gave Prerna a hug before leaving with her minder.

Prena turned to her bodyguard and asked, “What did Anurag say.”

“He’s on his way, he’ll take you home, but until then I am to stay with you.”

“Order yourself something, I am just going to see to Sneha.”

From a distance Komolika watched their interaction and in frustration said, “How could they have known I would be here? And since when does Prerna have a security detail?” She watched as Prerna took the baby and left for some time. “I wonder if he is only acting as a distraction to prevent me from following her, or whether she would come back now. Oh bother, what should I do now?”

Just then Prerna returned and sat down with the man, leaving Komolika in no doubt that they were waiting on someone, “But who?”

As if thegods had decided to answer her question, Anurag joined them. First taking a moment to admire his daughter. Komolika grew green with envy as she watched him, thinking, ‘I was supposed to mother your children, but instead you settled for that vexing middleclass girl. I mean just what has she got? I’m far better looking than her, even with my new face. And what can she give you that I can’t? Not that you would know because you never even tried. All you ever thought about was Prerna, Prerna, Prerna, when you should have been focusing on me. But just you wait Anurag Basu, I will get her out of the picture, and then you will be all mine.

Komolika watched as Anurag picked up the baby carrier and accompanied Prerna out of the coffee shop. Instantly she lifted her phone and pressed Ronit’s speed dial the left. She waited for the call to connect and then said, “Brother, I have something for you to do.”

“Tell me.”

“Anurag,Prerna and the baby are leaving the mall, I want you to arrange things so they meet with an accident on the way home.”

“Are you sure they’re going home?”

“Well where else would he take Prerna and the baby after they had gone shopping? Don’t bean idiot like Miskha now.”

“I will make the necessary arrangements.”     

rp5127 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Please update soon! 

sahra1977 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Please update soon 

K-Shandra thumbnail

My apologies for not updating... Fanfics were moved to weekends, and I've been busy with the contest - currently working on this but not promising an update this week.

briv2468 thumbnail

Pls update whenever possible 

K-Shandra thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

My heart and thoughts go out to everyone who has been affected by the current Covid-19 crisis. Lockdowns have not been kind to anyone. Like many, I find myself in a hotspot having to endure strict restrictions, added responsibilities and concerns while relying on distraction tactics to pass the time...

My most sincerest of apologies for not updating this recently. My muse has been decidedly uncooperative with this story since Anurag tossed Prerna from the bridge... so she first had to cool down - which after several months she has not. I don't blame her, for the creatives were really merciless when they butchered the characters...

Thank you to everyone who has contacted me, left reviews and requested updates... it is humbling to know so many love the story. And, yes, a update follows this ramble.(given time to format it that is)

Anyway, a few days ago StarLife stated screening Kasautii on this side again (been watching Iss Pyaar on Glow), since we run about five or six months behind India (screening the first Bajaj track now) I'm shuffling between various reruns at the moment - depending on the episode.

I will state that I still feel feel at odds with the whole Anurag-Prerna thing at the moment... Parth and Erika however do a good job of keeping them real and likable tho. 

This is the first time I have browbeaten my muse into continuing a fanfic, especially given I need not like the current characters to write about them (I whip her quite mercilessly for other work). But given that missy actually likes Anurag and Prerna in essence, and wants them to be together,  I told her to either get on with it or to leave it altogether now.  

So...

I have blocked out time this week to work on this - let's see how much the muse is willing to spit out... 

I don't know how long it will still be before we start to see new episodes, and in a way I am thankful for it, 'cause I won't get distracted from the story now. (Read: The creatives can't irritate and/or anger my muse any more than they've already done.)

This story has been Edited and Migrated, so this update here will be the last. Please follow the story in the fanfic division to receive future update notifications. 

Thank you to everyone for taking the time out to read it.

The link to the story is here: Memories that Burn

K-Shandra thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Preeto took the diaper bag from Prerna as she stepped past her, she then held the door for Anurag to enter with Sneha. Within moments of entering, Prerna turned to take Sneha from Anurag with a calm yet dismissive statement, “I’ll see to her.”

Anurag made to object, but then thought better of it. He did not like the fact that Prerna had any contact with Bajaj, and had it not been for Khuki’s sake he would have refused her request outright.

He watched as Prerna ans Sneha left for their room, his heart yearning to accompany them but at the same time he knew Prerna would need some space and time to process everything, just like him. Komolika’s presence at the mall had been a firm and unwelcome reminder that she was unlikely to relent her claim on him, any time soon. They needed to do something or they would end up spending their lives trying to avoid her. He had to speak to Prerna about it and together they would have to decide as to what to do. Her honest and outright confession a few days prior still haunted him, which was why he knew he had to include her in any future decisions they made. He turned to Preeto and said, “Could you serve me some tea in the lounge,I’ll wait there for Prerna to finish.”

Anurag finished the tea and checked his watch, Prerna had spent more than three quarters of an hour with Sneha, and whatever they were doing he was certain it could not take that long. She’s avoiding me, he thought. He sought out Preeto and asked outfight, “How long does it take Prerna to see to Sneha in the afternoons?”

Preeto looked about the room uncomfortably causing him to demand, “That is what she is doing, right?”

Preeto hesitantly replied, “Ugh, ma’am is in the room with Sneha.”

Anurag quickly responded, “I’m not asking where she is.” Preeto’s reluctance to look at him only served to enforce the notion that Prerna was indeed trying to avoid him. “That’s it, she can’t avoid me indefinitely.” He said as he turned from Preeto and made his way towards Prerna’s room.

Preeto followed him and said, somewhat distressed, “Please, Mr. Basu, You must not disturb her.”

Anurag swung around, almost causing Preeto to collide with him, and angrily demanded,“Why not?” He glared at Preeto who meekly and cautiously replied, “Ma’am often naps in the afternoons after seeing to Sneha.” Adding more confidently, “We should not disturb her.”

Anurag firmly replied, “I’ll be the one to determine that!” and swung around to continue to the room, leaving a stunned Preeto in his wake.

He did not knock before entering, not wanting to disturb Prerna if she were sleeping. He approached the bed and for the first time in months, unabashedly looked at her.The serenity of her appearance drained all anger. It was quickly replaced with a protectiveness he was well familiar with. He knew that she had made the best of matters until date, with both of them putting their own wants and needs aside to deal with matters as they arose. Any calm or intimate moments eluded them, adding to the irritation and frustration they both felt. It was moments such as these that served as a reminder of what exactly they were fighting for.

Movement to the side drew his attention. He shifted his gaze to his daughter who was awake and moving her arms, as if trying to tell him something. A ring of pillows surrounded her. Without hesitation, he moved to the other side of the bed and carefully settled, a warmth enveloped him as Sneha’s eyes met his and she stilled for a moment. He moved to take hold of Prerna’s wrist and gently moved her hand from Sneha, careful not to disturb her. Smiling at Sneha he collected her up and whispered, “I think you should come with me. We’ll let your mother rest for now,” His gaze shifted to Prerna as he added, “She looks like she needs it.”

Anurag carefully rose from the bed and moved to the door, sparing a moment to look back at a sleeping Prerna. He took Sneha to the lounge and switched on the TV,before tuning the volume down. What was on seemed unimportant as his attention focused on his daughter. He had spent far too much time separated from her and her mother.He took in everything about her, she had her mothers eyes that could see right into his soul. He felt guilty for the time wasted but at the same time thankful for Prerna’s persistence and resilience. He knew anyone else would long since have given up on him.

Sneha’s presence captivated his full attention and he simply gazed at her allowing her to grasp his one finger. The depth of emotion he felt for the little being could not be put into words. He settled into a more comfortable position, allowing Sneha to settle over his chest her head resting just below his shoulder. Instinctively he gently rubbed her back and lulled her to sleep. Soon enough the calmness and serenity of his surroundings lulled both of them to sleep.

Prerna slowly woke, her hand instinctively closing over what should have been… there was nothing. Instantly she bolted upright and checked the area next to her, the rest of the room, while trying to determine the time. It would not be not the first time Preeto had collected Sneha from the room while she slept, but the servant had never let her sleep that long. Prerna checked her phone and realized that it was approaching Sneha’s feeding time, and with the baby having slept through the morning’s visit to the mall, her routine had been disrupted enough.

Prerna quickly rose from the bed and righted her clothing, before exiting the room. She ran into Preeto in the dining area and was about to demand as to Sneha’s whereabouts however the woman held her finger in front of her lips before pointing to the lounge area. The TV was still on, the sound low.

With a furrowed brow Prerna approached the couch and was taken aback to see both Anurag and Sneha asleep. Anurag had his hand over the baby’s back with both seeming blissfully unaware of her presence and scrutiny. A warmth grew within her chest at the sight of them and she carefully approached the. She did not want to disturb them but Sneha had to be kept in routine. She gently took hold of Anurag’s wrist,not surprised when it instinctively tightened its hold over their daughter. Prerna softly whispered, “I need to feed and change her.” His eyes fluttered open for a moment and locked with hers, before his grip eased to allowed her to take Sneha. 

Sneha woke and for a moment wiggled causing Prerna to look at her, hesitating as to what to do. Anurag seemed confused and surprised by his surroundings.

Prerna looked towards Preeto for a moment and then back at Anurag, unwilling to let the moment go since they had spent so little time together since Sneha’s birth.

“Do you want to stay for dinner?” Prerna asked, “I’m certain Preeto could make a few more rotis.” Prerna looked towards Preeto for confirmation and the girl nodded.

“I would like that.” Anurag sincerely answered, adding, “We need to talk anyway.”

Prerna’s back stiffened, she knew it was inevitable and would have preferred to defer it.

“Let me see to her and then we’ll eat.”

Dinner was stilted, with neither of them knowing what to say yet both reluctant for it to be over. Anurag was the first to move, he took Sneha to the lounge where he again settled with her. Prerna cleared the table and helped Preeto with the dishes before dismissing the girl for the evening. She knew she could not put off their talk indefinitely, especially since Anurag seemed determined to remain until they had spoken.

She reluctantly returned to the lounge where Anurag invited her to join them. Prerna smiled as she nervously took a seat, eventually turning to face him and the inevitable.

Anurag again settled Sneha against his shoulder and rubbed her back, before looking at Prerna, calmly stating “She’s a happy baby.”

Prerna frowned for a moment before replying, “Yes she is, considering all things.”

Instantly concerned, Anurag demanded, “What do you mean by that? Is there something wrong with her?”

“No, it’s nothing like that.” Prerna instantly replied.

“Then what is it?”

Prerna looked into the distance before answering, “Considering all that happened throughout my pregnancy, the doctors were concerned at some stage.”

“But everything is alright? I mean there is nothing wrong?”

“No, Sneha is one hundred present fine.” Prerna reached out towards her daughter, her hand for a moment brushing his. Instantly her awareness of him grew anew along with the realization that she should not allow herself to grow close to him again.She visibly swallowed before finally saying, “I’m certain everyone at home would be waiting for you and that you need to get back.”

Instantly he threw back, “What? Are you trying to get rid of me?”

“No, I just thought there is somewhere else you might need to be.”

Anurag tilted his head for a moment before answering, “I’m exactly where I need to be.As it is we never get to spend any time together.” He noticed her discomfort and added, “I mean look at how much Sneha has grown and I’ve missed it all. I wanted to spend some time with you and my daughter.”

“What about everyone else?” Prerna asked not willing to be drawn into dropping her guard again.

“You and Sneha are the two most important people in my life. Everyone else can wait for now.”

Prerna was familiar enough with the determination in his tone that she knew she would not deter him, and opted for the easier path, hoping she could keep her heart intact this time. “So what did you want to do?”

“I thought that the three of us could watch a movie or do something together. Something mundane all families do.”

Prerna tried not to read too much into his words, it was so easy to be lulled into some form of complacency. She gestured to the remote and said, “Help yourself, I don’t know if there’s anything worthwhile on.”

Anurag pointed at Sneha but said nothing as Prerna reached for the remote and handed it to him. He flipped through the channels finally settling on something before handing it back to her. She took it and placed it back on the coffee table,ensuring she maintained a proper distance from him. He looked at her in question but returned to rubbing Sneha’s back.

They were about half way through the series before her back started protesting. She had no idea as to what they were watching, her mind focused on keeping a set distance between them. Sneha had drifted off to sleep and she toyed with the idea of collecting up their daughter and putting her to bed, but Anurag’s resolve was obvious – he was not going to let go of his daughter as quickly.

Prerna again shifted in an attempt to get comfortable, while Anurag only glanced at her. Eventually he released a heavy sigh which caused her to look at him, lifting his one arm he said, “Prerna.”

The invitation was obvious and tempting, she wanted to be close to him but also knew the dangers that awaited. Her heart and soul screamed at her to indulge in the closeness and comfort it promised. Anurag patiently waited.

She shifted and took up the offer, knowing that the morning would as usual bring the inevitable return to things pro-quo and that their entire relationship had been built on such stolen moments. And try as she liked, she could not deny herself. She settled against him, dew in the warmth and safety his presence lent her. It was easy to forget everything and simply indulge in the moment.

Prerna had no idea as to when she had dose off, only that Sneha was stirring and would soon require attention. She shifted against the warmth, smiled at the familiar scent that filled her senses, and for a moment fought against the need to move.

She felt him shift, knowing that Sneha would have woken him and that she could no longer postpone the inevitable. Sitting up she reached for Sneha. Instantly her side felt cold and she fought the sense of loss that filled her. “I must feed her.” Prerna said as she rose from the couch.

Anurag watched as she retreated, his heart growing heavier with every step she took. It had become harder to watch her leave, especially when they spent time together, and this time had been a stark reminder of what exactly they had been missing out on.

“Prerna!” He called after her, having made up his mind.

She turned to look at him, with Sneha growing visibly agitated as she said, “Yes, Anurag?” 

“We have to talk.”

Prerna closed her eyes and took a deep breath before replying, “What about.”

“This, us.”He answered also rising.”

“You should go home, Anurag, it can wait.” Prerna said as she started to turn from him, knowing it was one conversation she had no desire for, even in the full light of day.

“No,’ He firmly said, casing her to turn and look at him, “This can’t wait anymore.”

Shaking her head she said, “So what have you decided?”

Anurag looked at her in confusion and then said, “I’m staying.”

Prerna pointed to the guest room and said, “The guest room is that way, help yourself.”

He quickly moved towards her and repeated himself, “Don’t you get it? I’m staying here.”

Again she pointed to the guest room, “I heard you, guest room is that way, we can talk in the morning.”She then turned and took an agitated Sneha to their room, leaving a stunned Anurag in her wake.

Komolika picked up the call and angrily demanded, “And what happened.”

Ronit hesitantly answered, “We’ve sat here the entire afternoon and most of the evening, there's no sign of them.”

Livid, Komolika replied, “You and that stupid idiot must have missed them.”

“We were here the whole time, his car did not come past here. I think he has her holed up somewhere else.”

“Well then find out where they are, do I need to explain everything to you.”

“We’ll find them.” Ronit assured.

“You’d better.”