Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Kartik Aaryan's struggles before making it big

Redmi thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 4 years ago

Kartik Aaryan recalls Casting directors Publically Humiliating him; shares they said ‘Iska kuch nahin ho sakta!’

Known for being a Punchnama Baby, Kartik Aaryan opened about his struggling days and how he bagged his first role during a recent media interaction…

November 2, 2019 6:54 AM

Aashna NadkarniView Profile

Courtesy : Kartik Aaryan Instagram

They say it’s hard to survive in Bollywood without a godfather to back one up, with star kids making their names in the industry due to nepotism and not having big productions houses like Dharma or Yash Raj Films launch you is quite the struggle. Being termed as an outsider is harsh. 

Even then many actors like Shah Rukh Khan, Ayushmann Khurrana, Yami Gautam, Nushrat Bharucha and many more who were supposed to be ‘outsiders’ have made it big in the industry. One of those actors is Kartik Aaryan, who with his mischievous smile, boy-next-door personality stole millions of hearts with just a five-minute monologue in his debut film.

Today the actor is every director’s first choice for a rom-com, but there was a time when casting directors along with rejecting him, publically humiliated him too. Recalling the harsh words and struggles he went through, during an interview with Filmfare Magazine, as quoted by Hindustan Times, Kartik shared, “After queuing up for hours for auditions and then being told in front of everyone, ‘Go. You’re not fit,’ was humiliating. It breaks your self-confidence. A popular casting director would ignore me. He’d say, ‘Iska kuch nahin ho sakta. He won’t get work even in ads and serials. He’s wasting his time. He’ll end up struggling all his life’.”

The 28-year-old actor went onto reveal that the casting director who broke his self-confidence, later realised his mistakes when he watched one of his movies and called him to apologize. As quoted by the leading daily, Kartik recalled, “He called me and said, ‘I’m extremely sorry. The only time I went wrong in my whole career was with you. You proved me wrong’.”

Talking about how he struggled to find any work in his initial days and how he found out about Pyaar Ka Punchama auditions via Facebook, Kartik revealed, “I read about the auditions of Pyaar Ka Punchnama on one of the FB walls. I had no money to make a portfolio. So I cropped my pictures from the college album and sent it to them.

“They called me for the auditions. The process carried on for six months. Finally, Punchnama happened. My monologue from the film went viral. It was on everyone’s phone. It was trending everywhere – on FB as well. It’s funny that the same platform, which led me to the Punchnama audition, brought me fame. People started calling me ‘the monologue boy’. The film became a sleeper hit.”

Courtesy : Kartik Aaryan Instagram

His struggles didn’t end there though! 

Reliving the memories of the day when his auto-rickshaw overturned and his leg got injured just before the shooting was supposed to start Kartik recalled that he began crying in the fear of losing the film. 

He shared, “My autorickshaw overturned and my leg got stuck in it. I was badly injured. I was taken to the hospital on a cycle by strangers. I called my mom and began crying that I’d lose the film. When director Luv Ranjan and producers Kumar Mangat and Abhishek Pathak came to see me that night, I begged them, ‘Sir please mujhe film se mat nikalna’. Thankfully, they waited for me.”

Since then Kartik has featured in the movies like Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety and Luka Chuppi. Now the actor is gearing for his upcoming movies Imtiaz Ali’s Aaj Kal opposite Sara Ali Khan, Anees Bazmee’s Bhool Bhulaiyya 2 with Kiara Advani, Mudassar Aziz’s Pati Patni Aur Woh alongside Bhumi Pednekar and Ananya Panday and Karan Johar’s Dostana 2 with Janhvi Kapoor and Lakshya.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters