Changes - Is it for better or for worse ?

Posted: 4 years ago

Vikkas Manaktala and Chhavi Pandey have been replaced, this is the latest buzz around Namah Forum. Some have expressed their opposition while others have embraced the change. I, however, remain apprehensive. 

This sudden change and such an abrupt flip in the script suggest that even the CVs were not sold on the concept entirely. They wanted to do a mytho show like any other channel on every other platform to fill a slot given to them so they came up with the idea of Narayan and Mahadev Friendship which is a great storyline with groundbreaking potential but unfortunately they were not able to deliver on it. 

Going through the comment section of the star plus youtube section gave me an insight into the thought process of the general audience, I identified two main reasons why this show was just not clicking. 

The audience is stuck on the portrayal of Mohit Raina and Sourabh Jain and there iconic roles of shiva and Vishnu/Krishna and are unable to comprehend any other actors perceiving such roles. (People seriously need to move on, Typecasting is such a huge deal in Hindi serials like after a point everything appears to be glazed in the same filter) 

And the other reason is that the whole Kali and Mrityu track is an utter and complete dose of fiction not found in any of the Puranas. There were traces of Kali in the Satyug as per the Kalki Purana but not so much as to cloud the vision of Narayan and Mahadev themselves. Seeing someone as meagre as Kali try to dominate the powers of the Gods was hysterical and nonsensical to watch, and the audience lost connection with the show in the first watch itself. 

But according to me the main problem with Namah so far is that it tries to equalise things too much, even when there is no need too, so at times it comes to forceful. Like you have established it that they are Best Friends Forever, the fact shouldn't be shoved down our throats by stating the fact by every secondary and tertiary character. The Mitra thing has been bought down a notch but the show needs to adapt the technique of show and not tell. 

In the Puranas, some stories are centred around Naryana and other around Mahadev, it is perfectly okay to have that particular character be the hero of that story without intricating the other in it, Namah does this so often that the transition scenes are a nightmare, we don't get a sense of  the timeline and for the convenience of the writers most aspects of the stories are omitted or so fast-paced that they occur within the blink of the eye. 

I usually watch the show on Hotstar but the general audience watch it on TV at 7:00, I can't be certain but I don't think that is a time that gathers sufficient views, hence another factor for the low TRP. 

So, In conclusion, I am not entirely happy about the changes that the Creators are taking with regards to the replacement of Vikkas because there are many ways to portray a character and if someone has done a better job of it doesn't mean that others cant essay the role.

There are 3 others shows on different channels portraying the relationship between Lakshmi-Narayan, Ram-Siya ke Luv Kush on colours, RadhaKrishna on Star Bharat (the actors that are playing Ram Sita are the same couple who played the adult Radha Krishna on RadhaKrishna, another golden example of typecasting) and Vaishnav Devi (Future wife of Kalki, the 10th Avatar of Vishnu) on Star Bharat, So it is a monumental task at the hands of CVs, Savi and Yukti to put forward there best performance, Savi and Yukti have done wonderfully so far but they have to take it up a notch if they are going to be presented as the only main leads. 

But I will definitely give it a try as the problems that I mentioned that are centred around the show are being answered too, the CVs are taking time and effort to address the problems that we have with respect to the show and are doing their part in making appropriate changes. 

Slowly the shroud of fiction that surrounded the series has been lifted and it is now at a level that is good. And in the coming days, I am optimistic about the series but I don't share a Panglossian vision. 

Edited by crystalmoon - 4 years ago

I am not happy.i was liking the show and Vikas and chavi as Mahadev and Parvati.i am disappointed with the changes.

Originally posted by Lazybird_Silpa

I am not happy.i was liking the show and Vikas and chavi as Mahadev and Parvati.i am disappointed with the changes.

I liked Vikkas his performance left much to be desired, couldn't say the same about Chhavi though she didn't pack enough punch especially when she expressed anger in her Adi Shakti Swaroop. It was all heaving chest and none of the seething rage. And her portrayal of Sati and Parvati remains the same even though they are drastically different personalities apart from the change in costumes no effort was made to show the progression between these two characters from her side. 

But I think we all can agree that we are glad to see Sara Khan go, and hopefully, she is taking her character along with Kali and bidding adieu. 

Originally posted by crystalmoon

I liked Vikkas his performance left much to be desired, couldn't say the same about Chhavi though she didn't pack enough punch especially when she expressed anger in her Adi Shakti Swaroop. It was all heaving chest and none of the seething rage. And her portrayal of Sati and Parvati remains the same even though they are drastically different personalities apart from the change in costumes no effort was made to show the progression between these two characters from her side. 

But I think we all can agree that we are glad to see Sara Khan go, and hopefully, she is taking her character along with Kali and bidding adieu. 

regarding chavi I agree with you.but I liked her and Vikas as Mahadev and Parvati that's why I am disappointed.i think low trp is the reason for these changes.the show will wrap up soon if trp remains like this 

@bold-completely agree.it will be good if mrityu and Kali both characters are ended.

I really liked Vikas he looked divine and godly..his acting was good..new Shiv looks slightly old and bored always seeing him in the same role..

Edited by samira-d - 4 years ago

i feel worse..they shud have balanced both n replace lakshmi..she is not lead material

Vikas wan't replaced..he uit..they replaced chavi

There are 3 others shows on different channels portraying the relationship between Lakshmi-Narayan, Ram-Siya ke Luv Kush on colours, RadhaKrishna on Star Bharat (the actors that are playing Ram Sita are the same couple who played the adult Radha Krishna on RadhaKrishna, another golden example of typecasting) and Vaishnav Devi (Future wife of Kalki, the 10th Avatar of Vishnu) on Star Bharat, So it is a monumental task at the hands of CVs, Savi and Yukti to put forward there best performance, Savi and Yukti have done wonderfully so far but they have to take it up a notch if they are going to be presented as the only main leads. 

I dont think it will be much of a problem they are the same soul but their characters are a lot differnt krishna and radha are more michevious while sita and ram are serious, and the storylines are differnt too, 

I think the production house of RadhaKrishna and Ram siya ke luv kush is the same so the same actors for the same characters.Even the BGM of the shows are similar. 

Apart from the title song i havent heard any other songs in this show, i think that is something that is missing, mythological shows always have a shlok or a theme for its major characters atleast and a BGM. 

Originally posted by TeenRose1

i feel worse..they shud have balanced both n replace lakshmi..she is not lead material

yeah, for now its just a shiva parvati story there is absolutely no balance in namah. even though the whole durga storyline isnt just about paravti, it is combined power of kali, lakshmi and sarawati that slew the demon but here they are just giving parvati side of the story.

In todays epiosde paravati says something like a women always needs a man to protect her and i just shut my laptop then and there. 

yukti is a amazing actress even with no dialouges or screen time she manages to command the show and own her character cant say the same about chavi though the past two weeks have been about her she has gotten multiple costumes and 2 differnt character to play and still she is feels okay okay. she is pretty and her chemistry with vikas works but u need more than that to run a show.  

Originally posted by melodysong

yeah, for now its just a shiva parvati story there is absolutely no balance in namah. even though the whole durga storyline isnt just about paravti, it is combined power of kali, lakshmi and sarawati that slew the demon but here they are just giving parvati side of the story.

In todays epiosde paravati says something like a women always needs a man to protect her and i just shut my laptop then and there. 

yukti is a amazing actress even with no dialouges or screen time she manages to command the show and own her character cant say the same about chavi though the past two weeks have been about her she has gotten multiple costumes and 2 differnt character to play and still she is feels okay okay. she is pretty and her chemistry with vikas works but u need more than that to run a show.  

Yeah I saw this scene and I just wanted too scream, I know that they are having this scene as a build-up to her defeating Mahisasur and prooving her own words wrong but dear God, they couldn't have chosen a worse way to showcase that. 

At this point, the production house needs to fire the writers and not the actors. 

Edited by crystalmoon - 4 years ago