Ariya ETF AU An Imperial Affliction pg 31 27th Dec - Page 2

Posted: 4 years ago

Lmao people reading this long ass ficπŸ€ͺπŸ˜†

Thanks all, hope I didn't fry your brain cells. Will post the next update sometime, let's pray IF don't crash πŸ˜†

Originally posted by Haal-e-Dil

Lmao people reading this long ass ficπŸ€ͺπŸ˜†

Thanks all, hope I didn't fry your brain cells. Will post the next update sometime, let's pray IF don't crash πŸ˜†

I saw  how many view are there! You are close to 1k 🀣🀣

Short kahe nahi kar deti updates? πŸ€£

Originally posted by BitterBerry

I saw  how many view are there! You are close to 1k 🀣🀣

Short kahe nahi kar deti updates? πŸ€£

idk I want to get it done with. 

Lol hello silent readers

Waise tumhara res kab unres hoga?

Originally posted by Haal-e-Dil

Waise tumhara res kab unres hoga?

I am searching you know for copying ! πŸ€£πŸ€£

Congrats on winning the 1st prompt contest, hope you win the entire contest.πŸ‘πŸΌ

Part 2 is here, hope you guys like it. Trying to reduce wordcount so that page don't crash.

Sometime, facing the past is a good thing. It shows you how far you have come.

-

Sometime, the world just hates you. There is no apparent reason for this, a bad hair day, stumbling on your feet in a room full of people, saying insensible things, meeting someone you would rather not . . . sh*t happens.

ACP Mukherjee was struggling with her fate in the bad-day-the-world-hates-me category, as she along with rest of team entered a fancy looking bar for interrogation a victim's whereabouts. Apocalypse.

"The slogan should be for this place - Party till the world ends." the crime journo chimed in, keeping her voice low.

"Why, beautiful, that is exactly the motto of this place." A man, no more than in his mid thirties, dressed perfectly in white shirt and jeans, with a flirty smile and too much gel in hair, replied, appearing out of nowhere. Almost every men rolled their eyes, and Second in command Rawte was vaguely interested as ACP Mukherjee groaned beside him, frowning at her.

"ETF." Sameer took out his ID, "we are here for interrogation of a girl, who attended your annual party. Do you have a minute?"

"Of course." the man grinned brightly, no fear or hesitation that law enforcement was on his steps for interrogation, "always at your service."

"This is exactly the moment I realize I dislike Mr. Too-much-gel." Chotu whispered to Shree beside him, to which the IT head chuckled, covering it with cough. The man's eyes were on them, and even though he knew nothing, he winked, earning a WTF look from Sameer. 

When the man's eyes fell on ACP Mukherjee, his smile vanished and eyes widen, then came a choked disbelieve, "Ri Mukherjeee! Is that you?!"

Almost everyone turned to look at the person, for starters, she and someone with winks and flirty smiles and perfectly iron shirts and too much gel? So not match. Secondly, an owner of bar? Another non-match. Thirdly, what's with the nickname?

ACP Mukherjee looked as if she would like nothing but to leave, or punch the man (it's always so hard to tell with her), instead she looked right back to the man, as usual, with a wry smile and sarcasm, "Oh yeah, that's all me."

"OMG!" the man exclaimed, taking steps toward her so fast and invading her space that Rawte had to jump so he won't collide with him. The man totally missed the murderous look on his face or stunned expressions on others as he asked, "It's been so long! How are you? Where were you? What happened to your wardrobe? Why you are with them? Are you with the girl?"

She continued to give him the look, "Work. Let's catch up later." which totally said that's not gonna happen, like, ever. The man seemed to understand that tone.

"Don't think just because it’s been years I will forget that tone of yours." he frowned, then grinned, "well, it’s good to see you. You look so much more se . . . " he never completed as she interrupted.

"Work." she repeated. The man nodded, but then frowned again.

"Wait, you with them?" he was surprised, and it’s the understatement. Beside them Rawte finally had enough.

"Why do you think she is with us, then?"

The man looked back and forth between them, apparently her linked with ETF is unfathomable to him. then he gave up, "I am so going to find out about it." to which ACP Mukherjee rolled her eyes, dismissing the conversation.

ETF found a dead body some 4 KM away from the bar, the tattoo of the bar on the girl's wrist. She was sexually assaulted, and drugged, which are usually the factors in these type of cases. But the thing was, the drug found in her system, it was not regular one. It was a curious mixture on chemicals, on which Liza working as the Team interrogates in Apocalypse, searching the place and asks people around.

The owner, Vicky Arora, nodded vigorously and agreed to help the team with everything, simultaneously flooding the crime journo with compliments she might or might not should receive, and sending questions afterwards to ACP Mukherjee as she took samples on drinks on the bar counter of the drink Liza found in the victim's body.

"It’s been what, 6 years?" He waved his hands around, "seems like ages."

"Which I would rather forget." She muttered under breath, which he heard and wisely ignored.

"Remember Amit? He still comes around, even if he is married." he grinned, "still the same, salivating after nice asses."

Somewhere in the background Chotu coughed at the comment.

"You can catch up, he comes almost every evening." Vicky continued.

"Nah, I would pass." she replied.

"How you ended up as cop anyway? Not complaining!" he raised his hands in surrender as she looked at him, arching eyebrow, "You look nice! Though you always did, even when you were . . . "

"That's enough." she cut him off, sending a stern gaze, which had no effect on him whatsoever, which was quite surprising for the team, and the phrase could be perfectly described for her collecting samples as she met the team's glances, "I am finished here."

The team left Apocalypse 4 hours later with lots of samples for Liza to work on, and more questions on Vicky Arora and his alleged relation with ACP Mukherjee.

"Ex-boyfriend?" Sameer is the only one who will poke the bear and walk out unscratched. She gave him a look, lips turned upward for a smile without any humor.

"Would not you like to know?"

Rawte rolled his eyes at the comment as he drove. His best friend shrugged from the back seat.

"Well I am sure Vicky," he stressed the name, "will be very eager to share a few dirty little secrets. You already have his number, eh Sakshi?" he gave a teasing look to the crime journo to which she flushed.

"What's with girls and some compliments?" Shree mumbled, "fall at others feet."

"Because you never knew the power in that." Chotu shot back, "seriously, try some of that to Liza, and she won't look pissed at you all the time as she does."

"Are you guys done?" Rawte spoke irritated, dismissing the moment, "Let's focus on the case, shall we?"

"You are just jealous Vicky getting more footage than you." Sameer said, always the helpful. everyone burst out laughing at it, even ACP Mukherjee smirked as the former tried to look smug, and for some unknown reason, she was the only one who got death glares from the Boss. She titled her head at that, to which he looked away, clearly realizing it’s of no use.

As expected, there was nothing on those samples from the bar, no added chemicals or drugs. Liza even went as far as saying the wine was rather good from Apocalypse.

"You would surely know something about that?" Rawte could not help the sarcasm as he and ACP Mukherjee returned from lab. It’s been 7 days on this case and he had heard more about Vicky and the alleged relation between him and her than the case itself. She stared at him as they stood in front of lift.

"Are you trying to suggest something, Boss?" Her tone had that undercurrent of threat he missed so dearly, which he won't ever admit. Nope.

"As if I care." He muttered as they stepped into lift, but still could not help as he passed another comment, "He called you by your nickname. You guys must have been close." he was curious. She was such an enigma and all they had was a tight lipped Director from her past. This new addition, even if irritating, intrigued them all about their mysterious ACP Mukherjee and her past.

"I hate that f*cking nickname." He didn't blink at her swearing as the lift stopped at their floor and they stepped out. She groaned and set out a colorful string of curses as they saw Vicky sitting on the desk of Shree's legs hanging in the air, as he flirted with Receptionist who was as red as red wine by now. The Director was waiting for them near the lift, and her question was more directed at her than Rawte as she asked, "Want to share why that loud and irritating man occupying Shree's desk asking for you?" Shree was sulking in the corner, giving death glares to Vicky.

ACP Mukherjee gave her an irritated look, "I am not mind reader." and walked up toward Vicky, who gave a grin so wide that his face nearly split in two.

"Hey beautiful, was just waiting for ya." He jumped on his feet, giving a last wink to the receptionist as she hurried away, "Shall we leave?"

"To where?" 

"Cop guys surely have lunch time, eh?" he gave another of his flirty smile to Director, who didn't look pleased, "Right, Chief?"

"Director." Mukherjee corrected, "I am busy."

"Oh come on," he whined like a baby, "now don't make me spill some dirty secrets and embarrass you in front of your colleague." then he added a wink. Everyone gaped at the open threat, and ACP Mukherjee looked as if she would like nothing than to punch him on face.

she turned so fast several seconds later that her neck might crack, "I will be back in 2 hours." she shouted at the Director, and stormed off toward Lift, Vicky grinning like he has won lottery. Well, it was a lottery, though everyone wondered if he would survive the elevator journey as it closed off and ACP Mukherjee looked ready for action.

"RIP Extra gel." Chotu, who appeared at the last minute, commented. The Director blinked once, and turned to look at the whole office who was gaping at the lift. They all hurried on their feet, getting back to work.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"What, you are trying sobriety club or something?" Vicky commented as the glass of scotch was still untouched from ACP's side. They were in a posh looking restaurant, surrounded by glasses and palm trees, sitting on black cozy couches near a glass wall which gave them nice view of the streets outside. he was taking occasional sip, under the scrutiny of her as she sat on the couch rather calmly, after the initial anger toward him in ETF office, leaning back, looking every bit of comfortable and as if she belonged to this place, even in her formals.

"I am on duty." she answered wryly. He rolled his eyes.

"Its lunch time. Come on, nobody's gonna know."

"Why we don't cut to the chase?" she tilted her head, "you surely didn’t drag me for a friendly chit chat?"

He was silent for a minute, then exhaled a breath, "it’s a favor, against the one I did to you years ago."

She looked perfectly composed, but none could mistake in her eyes that she didn’t like it, "Well, it was new, people asking favors from me."

"I came to know something, after you guys left." he started telling, and explained how got a shattered glass in a dustbin right after ETF left, with his bar's label on it. He took it to a lab and they informed it had high amount of some unknown contents which was surely not alcohol. 

"Surely it looks like I am in trouble." he muttered, for the first time out of his comfort zone, "I know what it looks like, don’t try to convince me otherwise."

"I am not." she answered calmly, "It looks like you are going to get arrested for the obstruction of justice and hiding evidence."

"Thanks for pointing out the obvious." he took a long sip of his scotch and slumped back, rather tired.

"Why didn't you give that to us as soon as you get it?" she asked, to which he gave a small smile, looking proud.

"Tried to a little bit detective." when he noticed her huffing he added, "Hey! I just fast forward your work with the lab thing, I should expect a thanks if I didn't know any better."

"What favor exactly you need here?" She asked, not getting why he dragged her for this small thing.

"You take the evidence, and say you missed it during searching the bar. My name should not come to this mess."

"If you missed it, your name and bar is already into this." she pointed out, suppressing the urge for eye rolling. He opened his mouth to answer, and then closed it.

"Good point." he muttered, "As if I am already not in enough trouble."

she frowned at it. he looked at her heatedly.

"Don't think I don’t know what's going to happen in here. A girl who visited my bar and ended up with drugs in her system? Its totally going to fall on me, the bar owner who sell drugs to its customers for money."

"if you are innocent, you will walk out without a scratch." she replied calmly. he didn't believe her a bit.

"Yeah right." he took another sip, slamming the glass on the table rather loudly, "I see how this will go from here, so I should better prepare myself for the jail time, right?"

"You need to calm down." her voice was eerily calm, and it did its wonder. he blinked at her tone, then took a deep breath.

"Sorry." he mumbled, "the death of that girl totally ruining my reputation and business." he looked at her squarely, "are you guys sure she had that drugs in my bar? not before or after?"

"positive." she replied, now resting her frame as she kept both her elbows on knees, fingers intertwining, "Tell me where you got the glass?"

"Backyard." he informed, "mostly its off the limits for public, but sometime people sneak in, you know hormonal pairs for hook ups." he added a small smile, "it’s for staff actually, dumping garbage before sending it away."

"its been 7 days," she tilted her head, "when you got it. is this garbage cleaning every day's routine?"

he nodded.

"we searched every inch." she continued, "someone must have dropped it after we left. anyone in your mind?"

he shook his head, "like I said, it’s for staffs. it was slow time after you guys left in afternoon, mostly staff and some guys. there is no camera as well in that door, so I can’t help you guys, sorry about that."

"We need to talk to your staff once again." she added under her breath, "this time with little more pressing."

he raised his eyebrows, "let’s not scare off my staffs."

"your staff can be very well behind a murder, if you forget it." she said heatedly.

"It’s just a speculation, they are all good guys." he defended his boys, "I will drop by your office and hand it over to you. outside office building." he dropped his voice, "in a total secretive spy way."

she rolled her eyes, "whatever." she leaned back, already deep in thought. he stared at him for a while.

"Who knew you will be into IPS?" he shook his head, amazed, "Where is the party animal who could empty the whole bar and still could stand perfectly?"

"Who knew you are into interrogation?" she answered mockingly, displease evident in her tone, "send me the evidence as soon as you can." she stood up.

at the same time, the wall beside them shattered into pieces, before breaking the scotch glass Vicky emptied just moments earlier. She hide her head with both hands, kneeling down, as he nearly fell off his couch. People shouted everywhere and ran, and she dragged him toward her, both of them falling on the floor.

Some seconds later another bullet shattered the glass table. She took out her Gun, pointing and trying to see the shooter. as she got on her feet, she noticed a black Xylo rushing out on the streets. She lowered her gun, face hard as stone, as Vicky shakily stood on his feet.

"When I said secret spy stuff," he muttered, as shaky and scared as he felt, "I didn't mean the bullets so fast."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ACP Mukherjee returned to ETF building 4 hours later, after dropping by Vicky's penthouse, arranging extra security along with his private ones, telling him to take all the precautions and contact her if he knew everything. When she banged the glass open of lab that evening, almost everyone was inside, even the Director, listening to Liza as she explained the chemicals in the drugs, and turned to look at her. Their eyebrows rose instantly as they took in her state, creases on shirt and dirty, almost torn jeans at the knees, scratches everywhere and blood oozing out from some places on her arms and face, short bangs falling on her forehead. Before anybody could ask anything, she dropped the evidence on the desk with a thud.

"Test it, immediately." she ordered, and Liza hurried without another word. The team walked out with her from the lab, watching her as she paced in the hallway like a caged animal.

"What happened?" Rawte's urgent voice snapped her out of her brooding. she looked at him sharply.

"Someone shot at us." 

"What?" Director's eyes widen like everyone else, "Did you notice it who?"

"if I did, he would have been here by now." she answered, and nobody could mistake the sincerity in her voice, "He is okay, under security."

"this makes no sense at all." Sakshi answered, "why anyone would shoot at him?"

"Are you sure it was for him and not for you?" Sameer asked, trying to appear calm but everyone had the opposite reaction to it, necks cracking to look at the ACP. She didn't answer instantly, which really bothered the trio seniors.

"Not for me." she replied at last, and though Sameer and the Director were satisfied, Rawte was not. She looked away, in her own thoughts, and informed rather forcefully that she is going to locker room to change, leaving others to create more theories in her absence.

ACP Mukherjee nearly did not notice when she was slowly closing her locker shut, still brooding, lost in her own world, that her Boss, Rawte, sneaked up on her. She turned to him rather slowly as he asked, "What you are hiding from us?"

She wanted to answer Everything, which was quite fitting, but instead she asked back, "Why do you think so?"

He had the fire in his eyes when she defied him when he was right, and the situation is rather serious, "You go out with him and shoot out happens? What he informed you? And where you got that evidence?"

"I missed it last time." she shrugged.

"Bulls*it." He answered flatly, taking a step toward her, "you don't miss anything."

"well," she smirked, "thanks for the vote of confidence." He didn't move an inch as she tied up her hair in a high ponytail, staring at her as if he can read her soul.

"You don't have to hide everything, you know?" His voice had the unexpected seriousness which caught her off guard. She was blank for a moment, then she composed herself.

"I missed it last time." she emphasized, and even if he looked he don't buy it, the message was clear, she won't talk about it and he won't ask, "And I am not hiding anything. I won't do anything which can compromise the case." She paused, "I can withdraw myself if you want."

"I don't want you to do that." He answered too fast, "You won't do it . . . " He paused, thinking for moment, then replied with added confidence, "I trust you."

Those were some words none said to her in years, and she didn't say back to anyone either. She chose not to respond to that.

"I think we should interrogate the bar staffs once more." she started heading toward the door, and he followed, "we don't have any other option, so we may as well start from the very beginning."

He nodded once slowly, "that makes sense, though this time, we need some added pressure." 

He frowned when he noticed her smirking a little, but didn’t ask why.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Vicky was as cheerful as ever when the team saw him next time, like the attempt on his life didn't happen. He winked and flirted with Sakshi, gave a small nod to ACP Mukherjee, and cringed when the team did their added pressure to his staffs. But it was worth it when a guy, no more than 27, cracked under Chotu's grip on his neck and confessed he took the girl in that off limits area and made her taste the new drink in town. She was high, and he had his way with her, but later when he heard about the drugs and death, he panicked and hid the glass, later planning to throw it away. But he never saw the glasses next time, thinking garbage cleaner took those. He informed he got the bottle on new drinks from a series of people, someone who knew someone and who knew someone else. Chotu took off to dig out something more about this, Sameer with him. Shree along with local police took the guy into custody.

"You turned out right," Vicky said haltingly, "my staff was involved."

"See the bright side." Sakshi supplied, "at least he was not the murderer."

"How he was not the murderer?" Rawte retorted, "he took a bottle, made the girl taste it, and sexually assaulted her when she was high. It looks pretty much like murder."

"He didn't know about the substance in drink Arjun." She replied, "And how we didn't know the girl gave her consent about . . . that?" she paused and added, "its common thing in bars, people drinking their guts out and doing all sorts of things." she then turned to Vicky, "No offense."

"None taken." he said, but he did take offense.

"Also, a girl dressed like that." she added, and now ACP Mukherjee had something to say to that.

"Dressed like what, exactly? Short dress? or the fact that she was returning from a bar?"

Sakshi was stunned, as it was the first time the ACP addressed her directly since their infamous spat in discussion room. she more or less pretend she don't exist, and now . . . the topic was wrong on so many levels.

"So just because she was here that means it was totally okay for anybody to take advantage of her?" she looked positively frightening at the moment. Rawte took a step toward her cautiously.

"I didn't mean that." the crime journo mumbled.

"Alright," Vicky jumped in like a referee, "Let's not start a brawl on that thing, Ri, you did enough damage last time."

Two necks cracked going back and forth and ACP Mukherjee's eyes suddenly turned steely at the comment.

"Last time?" Sakshi asked, half hopeful, half scared, as she stole a glance at the ACP in question. she looked around, like asking herself to endure it all silently as it was all out. Even Rawte was interested in that, his eyes shining.

Vicky poured some drink in a glass for him as he casually continued, "Oh yeah. That was rather nasty." He winced, then shuddered, "the damage it caused . . . and I was new at that time. The only reason I didn’t pull my hair out or shout at her because, well, she helped me with the start- up money."

The last part didn't sound too surprising, but none of them know the reason of the brawl.

"Also, she paid for all of it fully." He winked at the crime journo, "A rich kid, comes quite handy."

"Just when this whole thing turned into my past?" The ACP asked harshly, "I think we should head out." Her eyes flashed dangerously toward her colleagues. They took the hint and all of them walked out of bar, the crime journo leaving them alone to go to her office for a news report.

"well," the second in command mused as they walked toward their SUV, "at least now we know violence was always your forte." to which she looked away to hide her smile, affectively turning the situation light.

It took another 10 days, stings of criminal chasing, information swapping with secret informers in red light areas and a big Narcotics bust into a old lab which looked shut down but was actually used for creating a new kind of drug which can be sold as alcohol and drug, far more effective and addictive. The head of this syndicate confessed privately he did that shoot out in restaurant when he knew one his worker let one bottle out and it ended up linked to that girl's death. he thought the shootout will look like mafias are after the bar owner and it will shift the case from drugs, but it didn’t happen, unfortunately for him. In press, Vicky's name or his bar was not mentioned. Narcotics took all the credit to stop a dangerous drug to hit the streets, even though ETF did all the work.

"Seriously, we need some guidelines when we did this kind of charity things.'' Sameer grumbled, "Which part of it makes sense, that we do everything and they take the credit, tell me."

"it doesn't." Shree muttered in agreement, "I hate Narcotics."

"They should really pay us." Chotu said, then added hurriedly as all 4 pair of eyes narrowed at him, "I mean to the informers. I have to pay them for their work, how fair is that?"

β€œLiza made me sit through whole spectrum analysis and explained it all, if I knew we are getting this after that . . . β€œ Shree trailed off.

"I feel for you buddy." Chotu clapped his back, to which the IT head winced, rubbing the place. the commando looked apologetic, and both friends took leave, cursing the Narcotics and drugs in general.

"Well, I am heading out too." Sameer looked too glad to leave, "Enjoy the paper work, Kids." He waved to the ACP and Second in command, both of them leaning against the front of a unofficial SUV, courtesy the Director. The former chuckled, while the latter scowled, but soon it turned to an affectionate look as the senior agent walked away.

They stood in silence, which was not new, and not awkward like earlier. Just when the second in command was about to say to head back to ETF, she unexpectedly opened her mouth.

"I threw vodka at a Girl's face." 

He was surprised, and didn't even try to hide when she looked at him directly into eyes.

"I was upset, and she was pissing me off. After that, a fight broke out, and it turned to a brawl." she paused, "at one point I smashed a bottle on a guy's head. Bouncers cleared the whole thing. I along with other staffs had to clear the mess."

That she was capable of such a thing, was not surprising. He got taste of how she can react to small things, like invading personal space and touching hands, first hand when they met. The overwhelming thing was she was thoughtful enough to clean the mess afterwards, and now after God knows how many years, she is sharing this, that too with him.

He wanted to know why.

"I didn't ask you."

"Don't tell you were not at least a bit interested." she countered smugly.

"More than a little bit." he admitted truthfully. The same blank, unreadable expression was back, like those days ago in her locker room. Not the frightening one she gave after that paper clip catastrophe.

"Now you got something." She uncrossed her arms and turned, walking toward her side of SUV and opening the door.

He craved for more Somethings after that.

Observation is actually obsession, making them feel restless unless they know it all.

-

Since days, actually weeks, he is noticing her fidgeting, the restlessness. Granted, her impatience for anything can rival his own, and is part of her traits, but from some weeks it's stronger. It's almost like she is anticipating something, but that something never happens.

She brainstorms on cases harder, bickers with Sameer a little bit more, compliments Shree far more than she would ever do, does that passive aggressive thing with Director Kapoor occasionally. But when it's all over, it's quiet, when none is watching, she broods, gets lost in something, rubs her thumb and finger next to it and taps her foot impatiently.  

But he notices, he always notices and wonder what it's all about.

Then he put it under category of 'Unknown traits of ACP Mukherjee'. His brain had actually made a list like that sub-consciously, not that he will ever admit.

Today, the tapping of foot made him snap, finally not able to take her desperation for something unknown anymore. They were near the ETF SUVs and were going over theories one moment, and the next moment all is silent and she is brooding.

"Oh just stop it!" he exclaimed, making her turn to him and frown.

"Not the first time tapped my foot. Didn't know it was causing so much trouble." She scowled.

His jaw locked, "It's not about foot. You are doing it for weeks, what is it? What are you expecting?"

He should have known simple questions piss her more than a full blown argument. 

"That calls none of your business." She was totally pissed and he realized it was just her to blow off steam, by fighting with him, like she did last time and before that in Gym, "And if my foot is causing so much trouble, I am leaving."

And she actually did, making him wonder just how much her anticipation for something is messing with her head that she is doing such silly things.

They didn't found her back in ETF, but found Director Kapoor with an identical scowl on her face near the Discussion room door like hers.

"ACP Mukherjee won't be joining you for this case." she sounded annoyed. Everyone frowned, and Sameer, the brave heart, approached the angry Tigress.

"Did she say why?"

The Director just grabbed his hand and thrashed a post it note on it, "If you can decode it."

The post it note merely said --- Taking time off - There was no name on it, but the words were so like her.

"I take it no letter then." he added good humouredly, giving the note to the Second in command. She grumbled.

"When the last time she said she would leave a paper, I should have known better." It looked like she wanted to stomp, but she left without doing it, letting them get back to work.

He wondered if the something had finally occurred.

Rawte found her 30 hours later in ETF office, at 3 in morning, behind a desk full of files and angry expression on face. She touched the coffee mug near her and something must have been off because she looked murderous, glaring at the poor inanimate thing. He remembered she almost never drinks ETF Coffee.

"McDonalds is not open at this hour." He said in lieu of knocking door, arms crossed over chest. The annoyed expression vanished from her face, for some seconds earlier playfulness was there.

"Is that mean you are offering Coffee?"

"Why not?" He shrugged, "Or these files will burn under the heat of your look."

She scowled at it, shutting the file she was working on and leaned on seat, spinning it on the sides, "I despise paper work."

"You should have left a letter."

"I left a note."

"Post it." He corrected, "That doesn't count. Serves you right."

She glared, "Always so helpful, Arjun."

It has been ages she called him by his first name again. All of a sudden she started that Boss thing, not that he mind, but that moment he realized he missed her calling his name.

"The thing you were expecting, did that happen?" A part of him was screaming stupid at him because she will never answer straight, but he had to get a response. She stared at him, but looked away after a while.

"Not even close." She sounded angry, not the usual kind, but intense. He frowned at the tone.

She went back to her reports after a while on her own with the same irritated expression, and he found himself staring. If she noticed, she didn't say, or maybe she didn't, too busy to glare at the papers and trying to concentrate through her irritation. He left for home to change, and came back at 9, with a cup of Mc Caffeine. He left it on one of the benches inside the locker room, and was pleased with himself when he saw her talking to someone with the red mug after a while.

But then Director Kapoor summoned her, and irritated expression was back.

He wondered just how much he is missing in her life.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"What is this, your way of punishing me?" ACP Mukherjee said through her comm, "If this is, then let me congratulate you. I am totally feeling the heat."

"Don't fret." Director Kapoor replied keeping her face straight, but the mocking tone gave her away, ''Let me repeat once again. You go inside the restaurant, spot Raja. Then you spill a drink on him and push him toward Men's room. Make sure you get his phone and fix the GPS tracker and other chip on it. Then you get out of there without any sound, is that understood?"

"Yes Mom." The ACP replied deadpanned.

"Riya." The Director called through gritted teeth, eyes fixed on the monitor. Nothing came from other side, but then the video in the screen was moving, the camera fixed on the ACP's dress showing the glass door and bright walls inside the restaurant. The camera spotted Raja and then one of the waiter, from whom the ACP took one drink. In the matter of 40 seconds, the orange juice was on Raja's shirt and the Director along with her team heard the ACP apologizing to the man in her sugary sweet voice, while the man eyed her from to bottom. The Director rolled her eyes, and then smirked proudly as the ACP stealthily took out his phone in the pretense of cleaning the shirt with tissue, while not letting him move his eyes from her. He hurried towards Men's and the ACP sat on the same seat he had occupied earlier, her fingers taking out the device's cover fast and adjusting the chip inside.

"Faster Riya." The Director said, unable to stop herself.

"Patience, Director." The ACP countered, earning chuckles around the Director. She glared at the team around, and then found the phone on the screen was coming alive.

"Did he come back?" She asked.

"No. It will take a while." The ACP answered, quickly going through messages and Contacts. Message option was secured by a password, but contacts were not.

"Shree would have unlocked it." she replied, going through the names. The Director unnecessarily adjusted her headphone to hide her nervousness.

"Well he is not there, so you better leave."

The screen froze over one particular contact, and before she know, the camera was out.

"What happened?" The Director all but shouted, both to her team and the ACP. Her team hurried to check the connection, and then she heard Raja already back, talking with the former. The Director's heartbeat rose and continued like that as her team struggled to get the footage back, but she realized it's of no use.

The ACP switched off the camera of her own.

It made her blood boil, the unnecessary risk on her part and her inability to do what she was ordered. She all but threw away her headphone when the ACP swiftly moved out of restaurant, after flirting with Raja for several minutes.

"I am out." she informed. The Director gritted her teeth.

"I am waiting for you."

"What was that back there?" She opted for calm, which she was feeling anything but. The ACP narrowed her eyes, but didn't reply anything instantly unlike other time.

"It was taking time, and he was back. I had to stay."

"You already placed the chips." She forced herself to keep her voice even.

"I had to activate it." ACP Mukherjee countered, fixing the other with a stare. The Director glared.

"I told you, put the chip and come out. I never said anything about activation." She paused, frowning, "Why you cut the camera feed?"

"I didn't."

"Don't lie." She thundered, "The camera was working perfectly. What were you doing with his phone?"

"I was doing nothing." The ACP answered calmly, taking a step toward her, "You sent me, I didn't go with my own."

Director Kapoor gazed at her for a while, then remembered something.

"What was that contact detail you found in his phone?"

"I don't know what you are talking about." The ACP replied, now anger rising.

"I can always check the footage."

"Screw you, Aisha!" She all but shouted, "First you send me for some stupid thing just to get back at me, and now you accuse me of something imaginary? There is a limit I can take here."

"There is a limit of secrecy I can take too." The Director raised her voice as well to match the other, "I don't care what you are doing behind my back, but I sent you there. I have a right to know what you did back there, and, mind your language. I am your Director."

The ACP continued to glare, fists clenched, then she spoke calmly emphasizing each word, "You sent me. I placed the chips. The Camera was out on its own. Believe me, or not, I don't care." she added, "Director."

With that, she all but ran toward the door and banged the door shut, making the receptionist outside jump with the extra sound than usual. The Director contemplated to throw something or bang her head against the wall, but she did none, instead went back to her desk and ordered for the footage of ACP Mukherjee in that restaurant. Then she made some calls.

"I need to know everything about Nasir Jamal."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Riya thought her week can't get worse. First, Arjun called her out on her fidgeting which she thought none noticed, then she took off for that irritating family meeting and went Hydrabad. After returning a pile of paper work was waiting for her and then that idiotic undercover thing. Yes, she got someting, but she didn't get what she wanted, and she was not going to work on it unless she get the first thing on her list.

Raghu sir finally was kind to her and said she can have Johny now all by herself, their work with him was finished. It's been one month and 9 days, and yes, she was keeping count. He gave her address of an abandoned Police colony, in the quarter no. 23 they kept Johny. She reached there one morning, the clouds rumbling over her head, ready to pour out anytime. The Officers nodded at her and took her to Johny, who was bruised, bleeding, looked bad enough.

If he didn't answer her truthfully, he will look worse.

She took a chair to sit in front of him, with a knife in her hand just to freak him out. He looked alarmed at the weapon, by now used to sticks and fists. He met her eyes with half courage, half dread.

"I said everything I know." He started. She calmly met his eyes.

"I want to know something else." 

She took out some photographs of a particularly gruesome crime scene, a bomb blast of a Chevrolet, some news paper cutting regarding the scene where her own side story was removed from the paper.

"Remember 10 January, 2011?"

Jonhy frowned at her, eyes going back and forth to her face and the papers in front of him.

"10th Jan, there was a bomb blast in Dharavi, near Highway no. 67." Her voice was low and somewhat dangerous, "The bomb was kept in the back seat of a Chevrolet. One Man died, and his body was unrecognizable. It's your MO, is not it? Using C4, keeping it in car and damaging the body so bad that none can recognize?"

He didn't answer instantly, and the next moment she was stabbing at the back of his hand with a twisted expression on her face as he screamed in agony.

"I understand you blow people up far too often, but I need you to remember Johny." She spoke through gritted teeth, the tip of knife constantly with the contact of wound. He breathe in and out quickly, the pain spreading through his veins and reaching to the very core. He concentrated for the sake of his hand, and when she prepared for the second round, he remembered bits and pieces of it.

"White Chevrolet, put the bomb in front of a small Internet cafe called . . . " he paused, panting, "Googly. Yes, I remember."

"Good." She was till now watching his every move, the way he screamed or hold his breath to endure the pain, and it made him feel more scared and exposed, "Now, I want you to remember who gave you the order to kill him."

Johny is a professional killer, with the MO to blow people up. He never works unless there is money for his effort, not even for his own personal vendetta. He was never caught by police, but he was, this time, and well where that brought him . . . 

"It was not anything special. I don't remember who give money." He said quickly. Something flashed in her eyes.

"Will it be special," She forced her voice to keep even, the tip of knife going over his knuckles, "if I chop your fingers off one by one until you remember, Johny?"

She pressed the knife on his pinky to prove her point, not too much to cause pain, but just to warn him.

"I don't remember." He begged.

"Then remember. Because it's necessary." She continued to run the knife over his fingers, occasionally pressing a little to give him mini heart attacks. It felt like eternity when he finally remembered something.

"It was a Man." he spoke quickly, trying to retreat his hand even though it was tied tightly with the arm rest, "Young man. Gave me 5 lacs. But that's all I can remember."

"I need more." She said simply, "Description of the man."

"I don't remember." He whimpered.

That earned him another 2 hours of torture by other officers until he was unconscious.

Something, but not enough.

What she has become?

She looked at herself in the mirror of her apartment, the water running down the sink washing away the blood from her hand. Her eyes were hollow like ever, there was nothing out of ordinary, but somehow she felt sick, disgusted with herself.

Before her life spiraled out of control and completely fell apart, she never considered herself a violent person. Sure, she was always reckless, physical person to intimidate others by her strength, but never raised her hand unless it was strictly necessary. She marveled at her strength that she could control her own reaction and carried her Krev Mega skills like a secret.

But after that, everything changed.

Earlier it was only Gun, but after that, Bullet was sure it would come out of Gun and get a place in one of people's anatomy, enough to wound. Fists were sure it would bruise and break something. Anger was sure it won't stop at glares or snarls. Her motto in life had slowly become to cause pain, to herself, to others. To live to cause pain, to live with pain, with the ever present anger like a second skin.

Ever since she had gotten the case file and saw Johny's MO on it, she wanted him. The reason she left department because they could not touch a criminal belonged to a closely knitted group, surrounded by protectors and carefully hiding. When they could not catch him, they stopped trying altogether. She took matters in her own hands then, because she had joined the department to bring justice to others. When she found herself in the other category, and saw her own department was unable to provide her justice, she left. She just didn't see any point in staying.

The reason she spent so much time assessing, observing, planning and plotting to drag some scumbag criminals around the city toward her, saving them from her own planned trap and earning their favors in the process, was just to keep tracks on Johny. They didn't prove to be much help, and she was ready to infiltrate more, but then ETF happened. In Raghu sir's offer, she saw an option. He was not there earlier, but he was now, willing to give her support. And he did, first letting her to deal with Aslam, and later luring Johny. Sure, he had ulterior motive, but she doesn't care until she is getting something out of it. 

And she got Johny today.

She braced herself against the sink after throwing water on her head and face repeatedly, clenching jaw. Something snapped inside her seeing that Ba*tard inside that room, all bruised and tied, looking utterly helpless. The struggle of 3 years overwhelmed her, and there was this knife in her hand.

In his cry, she found sadistic pleasure. Did he cry out in pain too when the bomb went off? He didn't get time, didn't get time to even notice he was dying, didn't even get a chance to remember his dreams hopes and regrets. He just died, without any reason or warning, and Johny did that. He placed the bomb, he killed him.

There was someone else in the shadow too, who made him do it. She will get him, she was sure. Even if she had to physically tear apart Johny.

But what she had become? A hurting machine? A person who torture others? 

She promised herself the countless times earlier, just one last time. One last time before she get that person responsible for this. One last time before she ends it all. She justified all of her deeds just for that ultimate motive, until the line of limit wiped out. Now looking at the blood at her hands, one part of her mind repeated same thing, just for him, just for my destiny. It won't happen after it's all over. She will stop after it's all over. She will end the person responsible and these deeds won't matter. Her actions are not on her, but on the person responsible to ruin her life.

Yet, the blood felt totally on her.

Having a genetic disorder which doesn't allow her to feel pain comes rather handy. She didn't feel anything when her fist collided with the mirror, shattering it to pieces and pouring blood faster than earlier. 

Now it's not his blood anymore.

She didn't even both to put anything on the cut, letting the water flow on it until the blood stopped pouring. Then she went to proceed her usual routine for night, sitting against bedroom wall and staring into nothing.

Johny cracked 3 days later. Riya might have freaked out her team mates with her worse brooding and closed off attitude, as they glanced at her every now and then, either expecting her to burst or bolt for the door in these past 3 days. When she got the SMS she glanced at the Second in command who was going on over some recent case. She don't even remember which case they are working. He stopped talking, and everyone noticed them staring at each other. 

"I need to go." She said simply. She might have ran, but her restraint was already holding by a thread and she could not handle some scene near elevator. With her luck, Arjun might follow her till downstairs and start a shouting match on etiquettes and team work, the stubborn nature of that man. She wanted to avoid anything before and after, not sure what condition she will be after she meet Johny today again.

"Then go." He replied simply. He was tired mostly, first due to her constant edginess, and then her indifference and closed off state from past 3 days. She was no use in work, and he wanted her to get over with whatever this thing is and become like her earlier state. He will take a shouting match any day over this brooding.

The answer was all she needed. She was out of the room and running for stairs faster than anybody could blink, nearly colliding with people outside. The team mates gave each other stares, Sameer raised brows to silently ask what is going on, but he just continued his earlier speech, as if there was never any interruption. The team took the hint and got back to work.

When she reached the place, the picture according to Johny's description was already present. One look at it and she saw red, storming toward the room he was kept, knocking the chair and strangling his throat as his head hit the floor with a thud.

"Who gave you money?" She shouted, gone the low snarls everyone was so used to.

"I already gave the description." He choked.

"You are lying! Where is the man who gave the order? How he looked? Why he gave you money?"

"I swear, it was him!" He was scared, eyes wide and breathing frantic. She banged his head to floor painfully, making him grunt in pain.

"Who. Was. The. Man?" She nearly crushed her teeth.

"Why don't you believe me? I am telling truth, it was him!"

"Him?!" she roared, now leaving his head and taking out her phone, showing him a picture, "Him? It was him?"

"Yes!" He shouted, looking back and forth at the picture and her face, "It was him! He was there, with full money. He gave me Chevrolet's number, he told me to place the bomb in front of that cafe. It was him!"

She threw away the phone, kneeling over him and choking the life out of him. She looked possessed, sure that he was lying even if he repeated the same thing as he took which would have nearly been his last breath, if not others pulled her away from him.

Raghu sir found her in the long veranda of the abandoned quarter, pacing, lost in her own world, angry yet at the same time confused, uncertain, nervous. He noticed what seemed like a cigarette in her hand, and then she put it in her mouth, blowing off the smoke.

"That's a disgusting habit." he commented. She stopped pacing and stilled, waiting for him to stand in front of her. He did, and saw the similar expression on her face which was radiating off her from a distance, with the additional ashen face and red rimmed eyes. If he didn't know better, he would have said she was crying. He noticed her hands shaking.

"What happened?" He knew what happened, but still asked, hoping to know whatever this thing is which spooked her so much. She exhaled a shaky breath, suddenly anger flaring.

"He is lying." She snarled, stabbing a finger toward the door, "He is lying outright. The sketch, it's wrong."

"Are you sure?"

"200%." She ran her fingers through hair, causing the dry ashes to fall around her, and then took another mouthful of smoke. If he didn't witness her distress, he would have yanked the death stick off her fingers and crush it under feet. He would do this now too, first dragging her out of her zone.

"That man can't give orders. Johny is lying. To protect someone. We need to press him more." she continued in the same shaky voice, this time filled with determination.

"You nearly killed him, and yet he said he was not lying."

"But he is!" She never shouted in front of him, and he had never heard her shouting while in anger. Something must be very, very wrong.

"Why are you so sure he is lying Riya?" He took a step forward, asking calmly. She ran fingers through hair again, her lips trembling.

"The man in sketch could not give the order."

"And why is that?" He was getting impatient. She finally threw away the stick, swallowing tightly, and met his eyes with a forced calmness.

"Because that was the man who died in the blast of 10 January."

Only Pain has the power to make us bleed silently.

-

Thomas Hardy had said, Happiness is an occasional episode in the general drama of pain. Surely, he never watched the life of Riya Mukherjee before tragedy stroked, with him dying over 100 years ago and all that.

The daughter of a Hotel tycoon, she never wanted anything in life, just thought about it and got it. Maybe part of her arrogance comes from that, but everyone was fairly sure she was exchanged in hospital, as none in her family was a rebel like her. She established herself as the wild child of family who broke every norm and expectations, and some said she took after her great grandfather. When her other female cousins got Economics or Business degrees, or made connections with other rich heirs to marry themselves off, she joined IPS, moved out of her joint family, came to a new city and restarted her new life. None was happy with it, obviously, but almost everyone expected her to do something different than rest of them, though they looked upon her lifestyle and attitude scornfully. With the arrogance, comes her ability to detach herself from people who value her less and staying alone, so she made full use of it.

Then Aisha Kapoor came to the picture.

She was kind of person who wanted to be the son of the family, trying to impress her father who, while, was not particularly an as*hole, looked down upon girls. She was the able, optimistic person who tried to change the system, and had only one goal, to impress her father and make a place for herself. While Riya's primary reason to join IPS was to channelize her eternal energy and restlessness to something good, Aisha was a saint all along, the voice of reason, a planner, a rule book and listener to authority, qualities which helped her to climb the ladders of success and prove to her father that one just need to work hard to achieve something, and gender has nothing to do with. Riya was more than happy to let someone else report to seniors and do all the red tape things while she did her work, sometime staying within rules, sometime bending it. They made an odd pair as companions in Academy, and later as colleagues, but it worked for a while. 

Then came Neel Sahaay in her life.

The first time they met, her IPS preliminary was scheduled for next day, and music was blasting out of his apartment down the street and disturbing her. She shouted for a couple of time outside his ground floor apartment, which he never heard due to the loud music, so she picked up a stone and threw it to his window, shattering the glasses. This lead to a quarrel, and her not so subtle threat that if the music didn't stop, next time she will break something else.

He didn't play the music for next 7 days, but then again started, which was also the end of her Preliminaries. 

One day they crossed paths in park and she commented on his choice of music, loud and without any soulful meaning. He offered to help him to pick up something better as he was about to go to Music store, and that trip turned to their first coffee date. 

He was flirty, shining eyes and teasing smile, quite handsome too. He was rather amused at her personality, often cracking jokes she was assassin in some other life due to her short temper and ready to throw things. He wanted to know why she was like that, if there was any trauma which made her like this, but when he could not find any he shrugged, saying nothing else would suit her anyway. 

He was passionate, driven about his work. He used to take classes of Ethical Hacking, wanted to join some company as Government was no fun for him. He will go on for hours about technical things and bury himself behind codes, forgetting meals and showers. He would fill her phone's internal memory with tons of app, patiently explaining what they each do. He would literally live on take outs and junk foods, hate veggies, would be the disgusting kind of person who went on without shower for days and cleaned in room once in six months.

Yet, she loved him. 

They were together for 2 years, for the first time she was content with a relation which didn't demand anything for her, just wanted her to be there. And she was there, even when she went to Academy, even when she joined work, even when some days she would feel irritated with the system and wanted to be alone. She never shut herself from him, rather she ranted to him about the frustrations of life, talked about Aisha, *itched about people who looked down upon her. He would always listen, b*tched back, and then cracked some joke to lighten her up. In many years, she had someone who made her happy, content.

But one day he was not.

It was almost surreal, and didn't make any sense. He had hired for himself a rented Chevrolet one month ago, trying to appear cool to other classmates, to which she rolled her eyes, but never said anything to stop him. One afternoon, she heard the news about some blast in a white Chevrolet, the number plate on display. She rushed to the place, and saw the burnt, impossible to recognize body of the man she loves, zipped in a body bag.

She lost it right there.

For days she could not talk, too stunned to grasp it all. When she did, it was not tears that came out of her eyes, but fury, filling her entire being, mixing with her eternal restlessness and giving her a new purpose to do her work. She never explained to the senior back then why she rushed to the place and became catatonic seeing the body, never explained who the Man was to him. She just demanded to work on this, but the senior realised she was personally involved, to what capacity, he could not tell, but he knew.

Hell, probably the World knew.

The Investigation stopped 1 year later as they could not find Johny, the mastermind identified behind the blast, whose MO matched the Chevvy incident. This 1 year was excruciating for her, like a caged animal, someone who was desperate to do something but bind by chains. With the official shutting down of case, suddenly the chain was removed from her. She took off, to where, none knew, and maybe none cared except Aisha, whom she pushed away on her own, too blinded by grief.

3 year passed. She might have ditched her work, but she made use of her contacts. With the help of some, she carefully planned to make her own informers. She became invisible, observing everything but never coming to vision. She saw too much, and informed Police about it. When they came, she was the one to save the sub-human piece of scum, making deals with them to help her whenever she asks, whatever she asks and she won't let police touch them. They both stood by their vows, occasionally Police did arrest some only to emphasize her point that crossing her will bring the ultimate wrath of people inside the system who were also her companion. Soon people who owed it to her increased, and she jumped on the next phase, letting them hunt for Johny as she watch from the sidelines. They were too eager to follow her order, eager to shake off the favor of a ex-IPS, an edged knife ready to fall on their heads anytime.

She returned to her apartment after 3 years, and several months later, the call about Sheen's kidnapping came.

Raghu sir was the DIG when she left department, the one senior who earned her respect because of his no-nonsense attitude and rare ability to make everyone work, including her. He had people behind him who could give their lives for him, and soon she found herself in that category, even if she will never admit that. Why he called her, she didn't know or ask, but she did everything in her power to help him.

He offered her ETF, and she accepted, mostly because this was one man whom she can never say no to.   

When he died, she was shaken to the core.

It took another 4 years for her to feel like that, something she thought she will never experience, ever.

Every fiber in her being was sure Johny was lying to save the person who ordered the blast, even if she nearly killed him and he continued to repeat he was telling truth. If she go back to that room, she will kill him this time, and that is something she can't afford. The restlessness increased hundred times as she suddenly found herself in front of a closed door, literally, the only person who can unfold this riddle is sitting less than twenty feet away from her but she can't go in front of him or interrogate him, his lies making her skin crawl.

Raghu sir looked stunned at her answer when he asked why she was sure Johny was lying.

"He is taking a hell lot of risk to save the person who ordered the hit." He said after a while. There is another thing she admires about him, not poking the already sore point and force someone to talk. 

"That makes no sense." She somehow gathered her wits and replied, voice less shaking this time, "Johny worked for Iqbal for years, he was only loyal to him."

Raghu sir gave her a sharp look, "You think Iqbal is involved?"

"At this point, I only know the man I was searching for 3 years is sitting 20 feet away from me and lying, who made a sketch of the victim of the case." She snapped, the anger back, "I don't have too many thoughts at this moment."

The older man sighed, keeping his palm softly on her shoulder, "Probably it won't help, but calm down."

She snorted without humour, "It didn't."

At the same time her phone rang. She took out in a hurry, growling looking at the caller ID. She was about to throw it when he took the device from her, pressing the answer key.

"Aisha." He greeted. The Director was taken aback, getting the message that the ACP was with the Commissioner, but was curious to know what they were doing together even if she knew she won't be getting any answers.

"She is with me, she will be back to you soon."

She asked something else, to which he glanced at the ACP once before answering, "She will survive."

ACP Mukherjee hoped his words come true.

"Is there anything else?" it was his polite way to saying cut the da*n call, which the Director did. He put the phone back to her palm.

"Go home. Let us deal with it."

She opened her mouth to protest, but he beat her to that, "If you stay here, you will either kill yourself or him. We need him, and we have some interesting ways to get answers. You don't want to stay here for that, trust me."

She gave one last look at the closed door, which had all the answers of her life right at this moment, making up her mind. She was useless here, and she won't make a fool of herself again by strangling Johny like last time, "Inform me if there is any progress."

"You know you don't have to ask." The Old man countered, sighing as he watched her walk away.

It was time to spend some time with Johny.

Eventually, she found herself sitting on the floor of ETF's gym. For all her plans to ditch this place as soon as her goal is achieved and indifference, it has become her new place to cool off or brood when things go a little nutty. In her defence, the apartment was too far and she needed some peace and things to hit at, which her place was lacking after last time's temper tantrum.

It was afternoon when she left for warehouse. Soon the hours passed and it was nearly dawn, Sun rising outside, starting a new day and all was normal again for the world, like every day, but not for her.

Worse than the pain for her lover's death was the silent torture she had to endure every time she had flashes of their lives together, his some silly joke, his ranting about technology, or his sleepy voice over phone. She could always hear his voice, the masochist inside her both die and take rebirth hearing his voice. But the memories of their time was something else, something she can never get used to or remember without burning from inside. The memories set her on fire, make her feel every time that he had no reason to die, that he was someone who should have lived, and nothing makes sense, and that with each passing day, she is failing him by not able to solve this riddle. There is no option of failing when it comes to him, but yet she is doing just that, Failing.

Today, her usual treadmill was of no use. She could not run away from the problem when it's right in front of her eyes and pierced in her skin. She wanted to hit something, and there was the Punching bag. So she made full use of it, punching on it again and again, ignoring the cut of her palm which was never healed or covered properly, She discarded her shirt when it's sleeves were bothering her, standing in the empty gym hall in her tank top and black skinny jeans, engrossed in her own personal hell as she forget the time and space and focused the last remaining energy inside her to empty her mind. Today the memories were too strong, the just-like-every-other-case attitude of her own department when they closed the case after one year hurt too much, the restlessness and guilt to not do everything in her power was too strong. She needed her mind to be blank, she was on the edge of her emotional cliff.

She didn't know or care how much time passed, but after a while found her energy draining away. But her mind was not blank yet, she needed more time. Bracing herself against the hanging bag, she took several deep breaths closing her eyes, her throat dry but her stubbornness was on its peak. She rubbed her non-bleeding hand over face, wiping the sweat, then readied herself for another punching session as she straighten herself. 

Except this time, when she threw her fist forward, it didn't collide with the punching bag. A new touch was on her hand, covering her fist, getting deeper than the sweat, slow air and burning ache inside her, 

"You are going wrong." A voice near her ear said softly, like too afraid to spook the inner demon inside her. She felt like the voice was saying what she was feeling from the inside, she is going wrong about everything.

"The thumb should be on the outside." The fingers on the new hand unclenched her fist and adjusted her fist, cupping it once again.

"And punch." The voice said once again, still cupping her fist, and both of their fists collided, mostly his taking the hit. She suddenly found no energy to either continue her self-torture or rebuke the person sneaking up on her. Exhaling a sharp breath, she shook off his hand on hers and slowly turned around. To none's surprise, Her boss Arjun Rawte was standing there, looking at her like he can look into her soul. 

It's not that he was not dying to know where she was, or what happened, but he knew better than to ask. She looked like hell, and more tired he had ever seen her. He thought to tell her to take the day off, but decided against it, if she want to take the day off she will do so. His eyes slowly but carefully ran over her, and then he noticed the bleeding palm. Groaning, he took it, then winced, and then the wincing turned into anger. He ran toward the medical supply and brought the kit, after returning he gently hold her hand and made her sit on a nearby bench. He kneeled in front of her and started cleaning the wound.

"I hate to break your illusion, but you are not invincible." He said in irritation at her indifference, and could not even take the satisfaction of her enduring pain as she doesn't feel any. Perfect way to irritate himself, he thought, he might be some freak like that. If he was not so busy with the nursing job, he would have noticed how she was staring at him with an odd look which had nothing to do with her tired state, not did she say anything as he literally forced her to sit for this bandage job. 

"At least cover it for other's sake," He advised, still wincing, as the cottons ran out faster than any other time, "not everyone enjoys flow of blood."

"You are doing pretty good job." She was trying to cover her tiredness in a light tone, still he could say something was off, "Both enjoying blood show and covering it."

"Yeah, I am Florence Nightingale like that." He replied in an irritated voice. Her lips curled up in response, then her head lowered with a sigh, an emptiness in her whole body which has nothing to do with the tiredness. She observed him working on her hand, and when he finished their eyes met. She saw no questions or judgment in his eyes, and for that she was thankful. She can't handle any interrogation at this moment, even if she won't give any answers. 

"Thank you." She said sincerely. Still he was staring, which was unnerving.

"I know I look like hell." She said lightly. He held her gaze for a while, and when she was getting uncomfortable, he replied back.

"Whatever it is, it will pass."

For a moment she thought he knew a fraction of what was going on. After all, she saw him holding that da*n piece of paper where her catatonic state near the bomb blast sight 4 years ago was published, he might as well as got time then or later to do some research on her, her reaction making him curious. Even if he did, she could not gather any reaction to use her angry voice or dismiss him for his concern. 

The thing that touched her was that he was commenting on the situation, not her obvious distress. 

"Thanks for the vote of confidence Boss." She looked around, trying to feign ignorance.

"Well you are stubborn like that." He released her hand, which he was holding all these time and she didn't even notice, and went for the med kit to close the lid. She was little surprise, not that he was always pushing her, but her face was screaming something was up and he didn't even blink his eyes on it. She tilted her head to a side. 

"No interrogation about my hellish state?" 

"Do you want to?" He retorted, to which she didn't answer, just held his gaze. 

"Whatever you do, it's none of my business," He shrugged as she sounded surprise at the answer, "except if it's interfering with work."

"But it's interfering, is not it?" She pressed, "I am hardly there for work from past some days."

"You were with Raghu sir." He replied, "Madam Director informed us. And also," His tone took humorous direction, "we used to close cases before you came, you know?"

She snorted, "Good then, I don't have to bother about cases when I leave."

All humor vanished from him, "Leave?" to which she didn't answer.

"Are you going to leave?" He asked once again, his voice hard.

"Eventually." She answered. Something flashed in his eyes and then he was on his feet, with that angry young man expression he always wear, with the addition of clenched fist. She suddenly thought if this man has also some dark past to go passive aggressive like he is going now.

"Freshen up. The team will be here soon." He ordered, walking toward the corner of room to leave the med kit, and then he left the Gym, almost storming toward the exit. She stared at the door for a while, then she also stood up, heading for the locker room.

And of course Aisha had to arrive when she was tying her shoes, "Why you were with Raghu sir yesterday?"

Riya had finally gathered some of her sarcasm in shower, so she replied in her usual flippant way, "Having Lunch." which didn't fool her, obviously. She narrowed her eyes.

"And the lunch dragged on and it turned to dinner and breakfast, right?"

"Are not you observant?" She commented lightly, finally finishing with the shoes and stood up, only to see the Director towering over her.

"Do you think I am an idiot?" She was getting increasingly frustrated with this Let's-go-behind-Aisha's-back thing which the duo Raghu sir and she was doing, but she had no means to put an end on it, she can only try or yell, so she tried them both, "You run out of ETF and do some secrecy stuff behind my back, you switch off cameras on the undercover job I sent you and lie about that, you constantly take off and don't even bother to inform anything, do you think I can be so indifferent to all these? What do you think of yourself, that you can get away with anything?" She was yelling by now.

"I am here, are not I?" The ACP snapped, which did nothing to ease the situation.

"So what, is that a favor? You work here da*n it, not the other way around." 

"So let me get back to my work rather than cornering me like this, Director." The former dismissed with her quiet tone, and was about to head toward the exit, but the Director was not finished.

"You once promised me you won't mess up my team. You are doing that just now."

The ACP glared back, "It was important.''

"So let me ask you one question, if there comes a time when you have to pick between my team and your important work," she air quoted work with her fingers, "which one you will pick? Hmm?"

Riya just stared at her in response, not replying instantly. When she opened her mouth, both the ladies heard a knock on door, the PA of Director demanding her attention. 

"Saved by the knock." She commented, and then walked toward the door, leaving the ACP to ponder over her question. 

The response should have been instant, should not it?

Before you know, you are in the middle of it.

-

Brain and Time has an interesting relationship. When brain wants time to slow down, to have it stretched, it shoots right past the brain in 300 KMPH speed, like it happens during exams, coming under a car, or finishing a deadline in Office. And when Brain wants time to just shoot past it in 300 KMPH speed, time beats a freaking cow cartridge, 1 hour feels like 5 hours, one whole day feels like an eternity.

Time is a mean Son of a b*tch. 

It's been 5 days since that agony filled journey to Johny's and her subsequent break down, and since the day ACP Mukherjee had no contact from either Raghu sir or any other officer. Either she can't reach them, or always the dam PA receiving her phone calls to Sir's both phone. What's the point of a personal number if a PA can have access to it? She, several times, wanted to go herself to that abandoned police quarter, but one part of her dreaded to break down like the last time, or kill this time Johny for good.

Yeah, these 5 days had been hard.

Work was also slow, and the only way she can channelize some of her frustration was to do complete paper work. It was like everything and everyone conspiring against her, when she was in such a bad shape, mentally. One part of her was dying to yell and shout at everyone, just to blow off steam, but then decided against it. Her team mates were always civil to her and they don't deserve to suffer, already giving her space and tip toeing around her because of her brooding. And besides, what will the difference between him and her Boss if she also started to yell at others because of her personal frustration?

Her Boss, another reason to add in her list of frustrations.

She is not blind. Sure, she don't give a dam when it come to others or don't poke her nose into other matters, but hey, if someone continuously rubbing something on your face without any fault of yours, you have to take a notice. Ever since the day in Gym she had confessed about her future planning that she will leave ETF someday, he had become colder to her, avoding her when they are alone, and always looks like he wants to yell at her just for anything, but composing himself. Even with her less than civil behavior from many days, she was sure it was due to that day in Gym. 

Today, she was punishing the poor pen and pages of a file while finishing the report of some case she never even was a part of, when finally Universe took pity on her and a new case arrived. She literally took a breath of fresh air when she came out of SUV and headed for crime scene, finally a way to channelize her inner restlessness and not by brooding.

The man was found dead in his study room floor, in his 60s, an Event manager with no suspect to link to his death. It looked like he had a heart attack, but he had no heart disease, and during TOD (6 AM) he never called for anyone, even if everyone was present in home. The odd circumstances demanded police investigation, and when Liza checked the body it was found he died due to gas poisoning.

"So what, it's like the gas is still here?" Sakshi gulped, looking around as if she can spot the poisonous gas, "We are also getting poisoned?"

"Chill." The Forensic head smiled as she went back to check the body, "They opened the door and windows. The gas is out, so I think you are safe."

After some minutes, while the team checked the study and rest of the house for anything which can be linked to his murder, Liza informed she can't say which gas it is without doing autopsy. Rawte kneeled beside the body and opened it's one eye.

"There are high chances it is Carbon mono oxide." Sameer said.

"It's Sulfar di oxide." The Second in command commented as he got up, to which everyone raised their eyes.

"Are you sure Sir?" Liza asked. But it was ACP Mukherjee who answered.

"Carbon mono oxide don't make its victim suffer. The man is on floor, and from the facial expression it looks like he had to endure lots of pain."

"Difficulty to breath. His eyes are red and the way he is on floor suggests he could not stay sit or stand." He added.

"Which make the chances higher for SO2, adding the presense of AC in this room." She said.

"AC let out carbon and sulfar elements in Environment." He finished.

"What, did you two attend Global summit recently?" Sameer asked in wonder, looking back and forth toward them.

"General knowledge." They both replied in union, instantly annoyed at the other.

"That's so cool." Shree said to Chotu, their eyes on the other two.

"That's freaky." The crime journo commented to herself, frowning.

When the body was sent to ETF and crime scene secured with guards, the team stood inside the room, trying to make sense once again why some event planner was killed who has no possible enemy who hates him so much to kill him like this, chemical, way. They searched the room once again, when Chotu found the wire of the AC was cut. The members of the house informed the AC was out of service two days ago and service man did come to fix it. He went off the get a hold of that service man, though there was little possibility the man was actually from the company. Police sketch artist sat with the maid of the house to draw a picture of the AC mechanic, who had seen him. The team also found a small bottle of chemical inside the AC, after Shree opened it, and of course there was only a stupid way to find out if it's SO2 liquid inside, and not to wait until Liza's team did some test to find out the element.

"Why we are doing this stupid experiment?" Sakshi asked as Rawte and Sameer locked the doors and windows of the study, "Why can't we send it to Liza?"

"Field experiments are fun." Sameer replied, "Besides, I am always ready for a chemical reaction."

"This reaction can kill us." She was half angry half scared. She never thought these people around her to be masochist and silly to endanger themselves.

"A recent study showed law enforcement teams who stick with each other has lower percentage rates of death of one of their own." Shree supplied. Sameer gave an amused look to Sakshi to say 'See?'

"So helpful, Shree." She snapped, gritting teeth.

"Someone throw her out." Riya muttered to herself, frowning when Rawte came to stand beside her, the AC remote on his hand.

"One of us will go, eventually." He answered, and she cursed inwardly, da*n that word again, "Ready?" He asked to others.

"No." The crime journo mumbled.

"Yes!" Sameer was enthusiastic.

Rawte pressed the remote, and if anyone was hoping some kind of blast, colorful gas or some other dramatic event, they were wrong. It was not until 10 minutes the air inside started to get heavy, everyone started to cough, their eyes became blur due to tears. The males ran to open the windows and doors, coughing themselves.

"Everyone okay?" Rawte asked to others, a part of himself also thought why on earth he suggested this idea. He, of all people. It was something which she should suggest, not him. Certainly not him. He will duel on that later, he promised to himself.

"No." Sakshi croaked.

"I think today her vocubulary is limited to one word only." Sameer frowned, "Take her out, Shree."

The IT head and crime journo went out, and only the trio was left inside.  

"So it's safe to say the AC mechanic was not really mechanic, but a . . . " Sameer stopped, not able to think of a word.

"Chemical man?" Rawte supplied, to which he nodded. Both the men noticed ACP Mukherjee standing right beside the body mark, frowning.

"Spit it." The Second in command sighed, to which she looked right at him, then to somewhere behind him. 

"His eyes were open or close when the police arrived here?" She asked.

"Closed. The family closed the eyes." Sameer informed.

"When you," She glanced at Rawte, "opened his eyes, his vision was going to that," she stabbed a finger to somewhere behind them, "side. He was looking in that direction."

"Till the moment he died." Rawte said slowly, nodding.

"It must be something special." Sameer replied, already heading the place behind them, a wall full of book case. The trio looked every inch of the place, for something special which mattered to him till he died, but found none. They looked at each other.

"Someone took it?" The senior officer asked rhetorically.

"Maybe." The boss replied.

"It's something which is right in front of us, just we can't see it." the ACP replied, still frowning as her eyes went to the books.

"You are changing, my friend." Sameer teased his BFF cum Boss as they both stood in front of Coffee machine, "Influence, may be?"

"Can you talk straight for one second and not in riddles?" came the irritated reply of his best friend, to which he chuckled.

"I am talking. You are changing and I think it's an influence of someone."

"Oh?" he turned, "Do I want to know why you think so?"

"You know why I think so." The senior officer replied, "You didn't ask whose influence I am talking about."

The second in command rolled his eyes, "I just decided, I don't want to know anything."

"Whatever." the former replied, "But if I may add another thing? Without fearing you will bite my head off?"

He nodded, as if there was any other option. Sameer grinned.

"I think you would not allow, much rather than suggest, to switch on an AC in crime scene just to prove if there was any poisonous gas inside, if it was several months ago."

The second in command stiffed slightly, "It was an impulsive decision."

"You are never impulsive." 

"Remember that two storied building and my jump on that scumbag?"

"He was about to get into his car and drive off, there was no other option." He jumped from the table he was sitting on, "But here, we had option."

"Are you expecting an apology?" He countered.

"Nah." The senior officer waved his hand, "Just an observation."

"What, you think I am becoming impulsive because I am slipping into depression or something?" Rawte asked, slightly defensive. Sameer shook his head.

"No. Like I said, just an observation."

"Which will help the case if you are feeling upto it, Officer." They both jumped hearing the Director's voice behind them, "What is the progress of the case?"

The trio walked back to discussion room, and they informed the Director about the lack of suspect in this case, nearly cleaned track record in business and outside and the good nature of the victim. For the first time there was no suspect in a case, which was weird, and also demanded more work.

But Shree had something for them.

It turned out the man had recently withdrawled 5 lac rupees, but how or where he spent it, nobody knew. His bank and credit card records didn't show anything purchased, and they found no bill which suggest he spent the money in a legal way. 

Chotu then informed the victim gave the driver one day off recently. The team came to a conclusion that day the victim might have done whatever he did with those money. 

"Is there any receipt of petrol pump?" Rawte asked, which Chotu confirmed.

"He can drive to any place with that amount of petrol." Sakshi said, leaning back to her seat.

"When was the next time he filled petrol?" Aisha asked, to which Chotu answered two days later.

"What will be his speed, like 60 KMPH?" Sameer said.

"One litre petrol with 60 KMPH speed can go upto 10 KM, maximum." Shree said.

"He atleast went upto 140 Km with that fuel." Chotu said.

"Minus the next day journey." Riya said.

"Which leaves a radius of 40 KM," Rawte made a circle with the marker around the petrol pump location on a map, "give or take. Dig around." His comment was for Chotu and Sameer.

"On it." Both the boys left, already on work. 

Once outside of the discussion room, they were greeted with the sight of Raghu sir. While Sakshi and Shree gave each other quizzical looks, Rawte noticed how Riya's entire body language changed, while Aisha's lips were pressed into thin line.

"Good afternoon Sir." They all addressed to the Commissioner.

"Are you here to take us to lunch, Sir?" Asked the crime journo cheekily, grinning widely. The older man gave a small smile.

"Maybe next time, Miss Anand." He dismissed her with several words, his full attention on the Director, "Can I steal my second favorite officer, Director?"

"For lunch?" Almost all can hear the sarcasm in the Director's voice, but Raghu sir merely nodded.

"Let's go then." Riya was barely able to compose herself.

"Hopefully this Lunch won't turn into extended Dinner, sir." 

"Of course not." Raghu sir smiled, "Don't worry, I will bring your officer back in one piece."

The duo bid farewell, and some reason unfathomable to others, Aisha looked vaguely pissed. Only Sakshi had the (bad) sense to lighten to mood . . . 

"Don't worry Aisha, he meant you are the most favorite officer."

To which she glared, and stormed off.

and failed. 

"You avoid me for days, and one afternoon steal me for lunch." Riya commented as they both settled on their seats. She thought the Commissioner was joking when he said lunch, but he actually brought her to a quiet restaurant with fancy lamps and tasteful furnitures. They took the table farthest to the door, so that they can get complete privacy.

"And your point?" The older man asked, fingers entertwined on his lap.

"You say I need to be careful not to tip off the Director." She rolled eyes.

"Oh I enjoy it." He casually commented, "It's like our own cat and mouse game, don't you think? If only you had given the green signal to bring her onboard."

"She is off limits." Her tone betrayed no room for arguement, and he nodded.

"Yeah, I hear you." The food arrived, "Now glare on the food and try to eat them also."

After 30 excruciating minutes, she snapped, "What is it?"

He sighed, "And I thought I can enjoy the lunch." He wiped his lips with tissue and leaned back, "We tried everything, but Johny never changed his statement. He is sure it's him in the sketch."

She clenched jaw, "Okay, What's next?"

"I was thinking of an another way, which you won't surely like."

She waited.

"What if he is telling the truth."

Her stare turned icy, "You are right, I don't like this at all."

"Hear me out." He kept both of his hand on table and leaned forward, "Maybe there is someone who approached him, who planned this all. Someone who wanted the victim dead which will benefit him in ways beyond any of our idea."

She frowned.

"Maybe there was an imposter." He waited for her reaction, and found her sitting still in front of him.

"It makes much more sense. I mean, why anyone will kill an Ethical hacking student? We never found any reason or suspect who have strong motives to kill, and that too in this way? Approaching Johny is dangerous, and costly. It didn't make sense then, it doesn't make sense now."

"Except this theory." She said slowly.

"I don't have anything else, do you?" He tilted his head, "Maybe this imposter, if we presume, he is a very dangerous man. By killing the victim, maybe somehow he was benefitted. Maybe he made another identity, who knows."

"It makes no sense." She said slowly.

"That's the problem. It's like a riddle, if we had one reason why anyone will kill him, we could have worked, but for the first time we had the man who killed him and countless questions." He exhaled a deep breath, "It's one thing I can think of."

They both were silent for some minutes, until she asked, "So, what now?"

He was not expecting her to listen to him, but realized she is desperate enough and had also hit the dead end like him. He started speaking, "I say we spread the sketch. The sketch, not any picture. It's been four years, there are high chances Johny can't remember the details which makes the imposter different than the victim. If we spread the details, we can get informations both on the victim and the imposter. Separate the data, then at least we will have something to work on." He paused, "I think we should also cross check the victim," to which she straightened her back, ready to argue, "to find out if anything we missed last time. We are at dead end, better to look everywhere than bang head against wall, right?"

She nodded once slowly, and he was relieved, "I was not expecting you to accept this easily."

"But you did expect me to accept." She countered, still in daze, but shook herself off the next moment, "I don't have any choice, do I? Like you said, it's a dead end."

They talked several more minutes, he gave the idea to spread the words around her informer network, to which she agreed, and they talked from where to start and what will be the next course of action if they never find the imposter or find him out of country. He was confident they will get this imposter this time, so she dropped the pessimistic thought. 

"You never explained why you were so involved in this case." He said after they finished the earlier discussion and were silent for some moments. She looked at him, but didn't say anything.

"During investigation we came to know you were his friend, but your obsession with this case tells other wise." He went on, carefully observing her. She didn't flinch or signaled in any way to suggest the topic is off limits.

"You loved him, didn't you?" He said softly.

"Love." She corrected in a steady voice, now looking down.

"Oh Ri." He rarely use the nick name which she loathes, but he could not help in this moment. He had always thought about this, today she just confirmed him.

"Don't pity me." She said in a tight voice.

"I am not." He assured, and went on when she looked at him sharply, not trusting him, "I don't want the pity version to work with me anyway."

She raised one eye brow in response and then stood up, preparing to leave. When she turned he said a name, "Nasir Jamal."

She halted in her track, then slowly turned around with an unreadable expression.

"The name, ring any bell?"

"Should it?" she countered. He shrugged, trying to look unaffected, but she was long past of his careful observation hidden under nonchalant, having them earned herself many times over the years.

"Who knows how much you know?" 

"Oh you are back." The Director was near elevatore when she returned one hour later.

"Oh the relief is so obvious." She mocked, rolling eyes, to which the Director glared.

Next two days were idle and fruitless to say the least. On the third day they found a lead, that a low life who was seen with the victim. When Chotu hung him on air by holding his coller, he was quite forthcoming, saying how the victim paid him 5 lac because of a delivery. He didn't know how, and it will take more effort to know from his Gang leader what was inside the package.

More digging and more days later they got the full picture. One bibliophile friend of victim pulled some strings in dark area to get a very rare book, and he used the victim to do his dirty thing, to be on safe side. They got the friend, and he confessed, also saying someone was threatening him to hand over the rare book. He had said his friend to keep the book for safety after receiving the threats, so he had no idea where he kept the book. He also said according to those threats killing of his friend was only a warning for him to handover the book, as there another party who was ready to pay more and this threat maker was after this rare book for some time. The threats were coming from some Hussain, who has a garment factory but underneath it he deals in illegal arms. They paid this Hussain a visit, subtly dropping a hint that how they think the book is still in the library, which is very secure because of it's being a crime scene now. It can't be a co-incidence that the very next night a thief was found inside the crime scene, while other ETF officer lurked in the darkness, smirking when police pulled him away. 

"The Principles of Philosophy." Sameer said when the police dragged away the thief and they were only people remain in the crime scene, "Interesting book to keep in middle of Economics books, right?"

He turned some pages, and they all saw how the century old first edition was hidden under a new hard cover.

"Clever." Chotu commented.

"Let's rub on Hussain's face now." ACP Mukherjee said, and they all looked at each other, grinning silently. 

Hussain proved to be quite fast, never coming in their hands even if he is running around in his bunglow and is practically surrounded by law enforcement from everywhere. His security guards were another territory, pushing police and ETF officers away from him. When one of them pushed Sameer in swimming pool, he let out a groan, in another situation it would have been funny. Though Sakshi, who carefully moved due to the chaos, let out a laugh.

"Shoot him, for my sake!" He exclaimed, and others ran for Hussain again before tackling all the security guards. 

They all came to a stop when Chotu along with some other police officers finally got a hold of Hussain. They watched, and because of the da*n pool water almost all of them tripped, most horrifically Rawte who took with him ACP Mukherjee and fell into water. Sameer finally laughed, now he is not the only one inside water, and when Sakshi looked at her side to find Shree chuckling she tried to push him into water also, but he jerked away at the last moment, glaring at her.

Sameer came out of water after some moments, saying that low lives like Hussain should not be allowed to have pool in their properties. Riya found Arjun looking at her in an annoyed expression and finally snapped, it looked like he was annoyed about this whole inside-water situation but she knew better about that look.

"What!?" She exploded. One part of her said they really should have this conversation/confrontation out of water but she cared a da*n now.

He crossed his arms, trying to look he was not ready to talk about it but his body language screamed otherwise (surrounded by water! How bizarre is that?). He gave her the same old irritated-pissed look, "Nothing."

"Oh shut up." She turned to look at him fully, "This look is going on all week. What?"

"You said you will leave." He was finally on the topic, "Eventually."

"And it added to your long list of issues with me how?" She snapped, not getting why he is behaving so oddly. Other time, she can understand, but what she said that made him so cold and passive agressive, she didn't know.

"I thought you finally started to care." He said softly, his gaze piercing, "I thought you would have wanted to stay."

"Do you want me to remind your eavesdropping months ago of a conversation between me and the Director?" She lowered her voice, but the irritation was there. "I am here for a reason."

"I get it." He nodded, "But what after that? Would you stay after that?"

"I didn't exactly plan for that someday." She mocked, a new wave of uncomfortableness filling inside. He continued to look at her, so she had to look right back, this time with a little bit of fire.

"Never knew my leaving will wound you so much, Boss." She said in her same old mocking-serious tone. He looked away, not answering. She realized she won't get any answer of it, and that she should have handled this conversation differently (with lots more 'None of your business' and quiet angry tone). Shaking her head, she turned and about to move, when she found his fingers holding her elbow, stopping her effectively.

"I guess I am used to you challenging me in every step." He tried to say keeping his voice light, but there was something in his body language which made her thinking maybe it's not the reason he was affected of her comment about leaving.

Affected.

She saw him in a complete different light in that moment. She didn't know if she should be pissed that he didn't even denied that he knew she was in ETF for a reason, or be astonished the audacity of him treating her oddly the whole week and have a confrontation about it in middle of a pool. Maybe she should run away from him, because one word from her affected him and she didn't know how to feel about that. But in that moment, she felt anything but running away from this man.

In that moment and more moments in the future. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In any field of endeavor, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Murphy's law

It's a universally known fact, that a situation shi*ty like this, will only need more reasons to become shi*tier.

Keeping aside the mocking on Miss Austen's writing hundreds of years ago, it's truth. Even Murphy said anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. And he also said when one thing is going to hell, all will go to hell also.

Only if the mortal human had a slight idea what version of hell to expect in the recent future . . .

Granted, Riya was living in a constant place of hell from years. Things look good for some moments until the inner guilt trip starts and she could not breath. She has become so good in self loathing and brooding that it almost gave her hero complex like those superhero comic characters. She didn't sign up for this hell, but she was in it and she won't get out of it until she finish the reason of this guilt trip once for all.

But even she knew the moment she came up with the idea of making her own informer squad, she was signing up for something that will surely blow up on her face.

It was a blissful 4 years and several months with her squad, until it was not.

Her contact details are usually discreet, only known to several people like this team and a certain old man who is also the Commissioner and often (most of the time) make her listen to him. That's why when this afternoon during coffee break a new number flashed in her caller ID, she went stiff, already knowing whatever this is, this can't be good.

It's a good thing she was never the one for social etiquette, like 'Excuse me' or 'Sorry' . . . 

As soon as she pressed the phone close to her ear, ready to blast the other person, came the rushing rail like flowing words, fast and desperate, "Please don't cut the call. I got this number with great difficulty."

She should have cut the call, or should not have answered it in the first place, but she did and curiosity was a b*tch, "Who's this?"

"I am Javed. I got this number from Junaid. He is my brother. Please, you got to help me. Can we meet?"

It was because of that curiosity and the responsibility she feels for the people whom she dragged in her personal mission and endangered constantly she agreed to meet. She had no reason to suspect it was some kind of trap, and even if it was, she can take care of herself. She didn't meet him that day, already on the bad book of the Director due to taking off in odd moments. She snorted, like she was ever in the good book to start with. The next day work was slow and her Boss gave them all time off, so she texted Javed, telling him to meet behind the parking lot of a new Mall that was yet to open. 

Javed was already there when she reached, pacing in circles, hands rubbing together in nervousness, ocassionally adjusting his glasses which slide down his nose. He frowned when she stopped near him, suspicious of her.

"Yeah, I am the one whom you talked to." She started, "So, what's this all about?"

"I got your number from Junaid." He started, but she cut him off.

"You told me that earlier. Why this meeting?"

He huffed, in two sentences she was able to make herself disliked by him, "He needs a favor."

That was a new, she thought to herself but didn't say anything, waiting for him to speak again. He obviously hoped her to say something, but when she didn't he closed his mouth, little irritated at her lack of response like he had hoped.

"He got arrested with Drugs."

She glared, "I am not going to help with that."

He looked shocked, "He said you can help him."

"He digged his own grave, and I am not going to pull him off that." She crossed arms over chest. He ran his fingers through hair.

"He said his  . . .  people trapped him. That he didn't do anything."

"He sells drugs. You really expect me to believe that?"

"I don't know!" He exploded, finally all the pent up frustration out in the air, "I left that life 10 years ago. Today I am a respectable teacher with a family who think I am an orphan. He didn't contact me in years, and suddenly he did. And now I am meeting with a Officer in a deserted parking lot like I am the one running from Police. I don't know what to believe!" He took a deep breath, resuming his talk in a much lower tone,  "Sorry, I should not have . . .  but I think he is telling the truth. He reached out to me and nearly begged me to contact you. He didn't contact me in these years but now he did. Maybe it was really a set up. Help him, please." He searched her eyes desperately for anything. 

She took a moment to answer, "Where he is kept?"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Junaid was kept in a PS whose in-charge was one of the ex- colleague of hers. She didn't know if that was a good thing or bad when she entered through the door and greeted him. Some other time, she would have spent a minute to two to be amused over the riot among other officers because she was someone important to their head, but today, she had some other thoughts in mind.

The in-charge was all smiles and questions about her for some minutes, but as they both walked toward Junaid's cell, he narrowed eyes, "Is he one of your people?"

Her silence was the only needed answer. He exhaled a sharp breath, "He was caught with drugs. You can't seriously expect me to overlook that."

She turned her neck to look at him as they stopped in front of Junaid's cell, who stood up when he saw her expectantly, the reply enough for both of them, "I can only expect to rush the Hearing date, if he is guilty."

The in-charge was pleased with the answer as he walked away, but Junaid was glaring, "What was that?"

"Don't worry about that if you are innocent." She eyed him coolly.

"I am!" He exclaimed, "I didn't do anything. Someone trapped me."

"Do you," She stressed each word slowly, "honestly expect me to believe that?"

"You have to save me." He was adamant.

"What about we start from the basics?" She leaned on the wall crossing arms over chest, "Who do you think can be benefitted from trapping you?"

"Some rival gangs." He replied, which was too rushed, "A competitor. It's your work to find out and save me." He then lowered his voice, "We owe each other favor. You get me out of here and I will give you what you want."

She glared, "If you are expecting me to get you out of here if you are guilty . . . "

"Why you are asking me the same da*n things?" He shouted once again, "I am here and it's your job to save me! Whether I am innocent or not is none of your business."

She took some steps in a warning, "You reached out to your Brother and dragged me into this. You made it my business. I am not helping you until I am sure you are innocent."

"So until then I will rot here?" He asked in disbelieve, "I thought the deal was two way. You help me and I help you."

"The deal was to keep my people out of your ass."

"Then do it!"

"I didn't say I will save you when you are handing yourself on a silver platter."

He stared at her for some moments, the tension so thick it can be cut with knife, "If you don't help me, I will spread the words that some of us linked with Police. Not only your men will suffer, because of you other officer's informers will suffer too."

"Are you threatening me?" Her voice was ice cold.

"I will do anything to get out of here!" He replied stubbornly. She eyed him, uncrossing arms and standing on her feet straight once again as she prepared to leave.

"If you turn out guilty, not even your threats can save you." that was the last thing she said before she left him alone in lock up.

"It's been two days, surely you got something." Javed was desperate. ACP Mukherjee let out a frustrated breath.

"If I got anything, I will tell." She snapped. Closing her eyes, she said in a softer tone, "There is no evidence that someone falsely accused him."

"You have to get him out." he argued. Something flashed in her eyes.

"I will tell you the same thing I said to him. If he is guilty, I am not going to save him just because he is one my informers." She cut the call, clutching it tightly. She made her way to the discussion room once again, brooding all the way.

Having low lives to do your digging is not easy. She chose them carefully, with external help, because they were the people who had ears in all places without being spotted. They wanted to stay away from the bloodshed, protect themselves, even if cost of others. This was the important thing when someone is a double dealer for Law enforcement and dangerous criminals, but when things take a turn, it become a pain in neck for the former. They are desperate enough to save themselves, so ACP Mukherjee could not tick off Junaid's words as empty threat when he said he will start a war between criminals and informers in not so subtle words. He can do it, he is desperate. And because he is desperate, it's dangerous. The path was pretty clear to her, if he is guilty she won't have anything to do with him. But then, she can't let him start a riot just because she didn't help him like he wanted her to.

And Universe help her, her Genius, Shree, was asking the same thing to Chotu when she returned to Discussion room.

"I mean we all know how broad and affective web of informers you have." His tone was appreciative to which Chotu beamed. Her eyes went back and forth to them and a certain curious Second in command who obviously noticed she halted in her tracks near the door, silently taking her usual seat as the IT expert said again, "BTW, how you have them anyway? I never asked."

"Baba knew people in everywhere." Chotu shrugged, his father was a constable, "It helped me."

"Okay." Shree let it side, "But they are also criminals! May be they are the small fish which helps us to take down the big ones, but they are bad people too! How do you deal with them when they are accused of something? Do you help them get away because of the whole informer-officer dynamic." He paused, "Have you ever faced anything like that?"

"I didn't." Chotu admitted, "But there is no choice. If they get caught doing something bad, they will get punished. I won't interfare."

"Won't it be unfair?" The IT head asked, "I mean they help when we are stuck, but we ditch them when they are stuck."

"I am paying them for their informations." Chotu pointed out, "We are not exactly doing a favor. It's a type of Business arrangement."

"Sometimes things are not so Black and White Shree." Rawte said, cutting into the conversation, "Or right or wrong. Granted, they helped us. But like you said, they are also criminal. If they are caught doing crimes, they will have to pay. There is no option when they are doing something bad."

"So they are helping us to plan their own doom." Shree said slowly.

"And making a hole in us officer's pocket." Chotu joked.

"They can always change sides." Rawte shrugged, "Yes, it's not easy, to leave that life to start a new one, looking over shoulder for something from their past. But what is more important than one's own life? What's more important to start a new life, leaving all the darkness behind? You can't go on by keeping legs on both boats." 

He eyed the ACP, who gave a small nod to that. The IT head slowly nodded, grasping the whole aspect. 

And the Universe decided that time to drop the bomb on their laps, literally.

Seriously, she should have been expected this. Like Murphy said, if things are left on their own, they will always go from bad to worse. This had to happen. Junaid had to take the desperate level one step high and had to break out from jail. He had to hide some place near ETF location. The DIG of that circle had to call The Director and request her team to assist. 

Really, she should have been see it coming. 

Junaid should have headed for Bus stop or railway station. Mumbai has so many of them anyway. But he decided to run to some shady slums before calling one of his friends. ACP Mukherjee had a bad feeling he was living upto his threat. Okay, he might not know who else is the mole in this crime world, but there are always suspicion. One word, and a chaos will spread which will shake both the worlds with a lot of bloodshed. The Department can't afford it.

She can't afford it. Finally she had something . . . 

They got the friend outside Junaid's location, an abandoned incomplete construction sight, the 3rd floor where the meeting was supposed to happen. Police and ETF along circled the area, and she barely met the judging eyes of the ex-colleague she met not too many days earlier. He was looking forward what she will do if things go more south. If she will let him escape. 

"Junaid?" Sameer addressed the man as they all circled him in the shadows, "The police and ETF are all over the place. You need to discard the weapon and surrender yourself."

His eyes searched in the darkness for someone, finally realizing no help from his favor was coming. His face twisted in rage, then he bolted, shooting everywhere.

After many bullets, sweats and minutes later, they had him cornered. But they had to stop, because he was holding their in-house crime journo by her upper arm, a gun on her forehead.

"Let me go or she is dead." He warned, pointing the gun so hard that it might leave a hole in the woman's forehead. Others looked at each other, different scenerios in their head for this situation going on.

"Look, you can't escape." The journo tried, but was cut by more pressure on her head.

"Shut.Up." He hissed on her face, glaring at the police and looking around to escape simultanously.

"Let her go." Rawte said, taking a step to him. In response Junaid took two steps back, nearly on the edge of building.

"Let me go and I will leave her." He tried to deal. His eyes finally found ACP Mukherjee and twisted in disgust, as if trying to say it was her fault, both his fate and this situation. She looked him thoroughly, then to the crime journo. She can wait to be frustrated about her later.

"You are trapped." Rawte tried one again, his voice calm and controlled, "There is only one way you can get away if you don't drop your gun right now and leave her, and that's going to be one of us bullet in your body."

"Then I will take her with me too." He now put the crime journo in front of him, using her as shield, "She is one of you. You can't risk her." He hold her close, "I am just a small fish. Let me go."

"Now by helding hostage somone who is one of us is making you pretty big." Chotu said, "Don't make us kill you."

Junaid struggled with it, his feet unconsciously going backwards, but then something flashed in his eyes and he pointed his gun toward ACP Mukherjee, ready to shoot. He never pulled the trigger as Rawte was running for her, pushing her on floor and falling with her. This served as a trigger and the other two ETF officers and some other officers shot him repeatedly as he fell from the 3rd floor, pushing the crime journo off him who sobbed on the second in command's chest after a while, scared out of her mind. 

Hours later, in middle of police and ambulence sirens, when Riya saw the bloody body of Junaid's inside a body bag, she thought maybe he was right. Maybe it was not so black and white like it felt in her head. The lack of feeling accomplished was also saying the same thing.

She ignored Javed's calls.

She wanted quiet after the encounter, the guilt feeling again consuming her even if she didn't even shot Junaid. For quiet, she should have headed for the apartment, but she like the rest of them made a mistake to go to ETF first and had to witness Aisha exploding on Sakshi, which resulted in her decision that the crime journo won't shadow the team anymore. The latter left tear stricken, halting in front of ACP Mukherjee with a unreadable expression before hurrying for door, leaving behind her stunned and sad team mates. 

After the argument, she should have left for apartment, finally, but she walked to the Director's office after some 1 hour who was wrapping up, clearly no mood for work herself after the outburst, "Can't it wait for tomorrow? I am not in a mood for games right now."

The former closed the door quietly behind her, "I need few minutes."

Director sighed, which was a signal for 'Go ahead what can I do'. So she did. 

"You once said to me I need to adjust with your team. That they are like a family who works well in a team. That I can't mess that up."

The Director frowned, not getting what she is about to say.

"Looks like you are the one messing that family up."

She glared, "She created an obstacle for my team and others. I can't allow that."

"She did that many times." 

"She endangered one of us." The Director raised her voice, "I am not going to overlook that."

Both the women stared at each other, holding their position in this matter. Suddenly ACP Mukherjee was uncomfortable, she was never the one who showed her emotions openly and squirmed and others did the same, expecially to hers. 

She said after some moments passed, "She was part of a team. She may have not given more output when it came to cases, but that was not her job. Her job was to shadow team and write about them, which she did. People like Junaid, they will come and go. Sometime they will held her on gun point, sometime they will held one of us. You can't hold it against her."

"I thought you don't like her." The Director observed with a surprise, "And here you are, argumenting her case."

"It's not about me and I am not argumenting her case." She said defensively, "I am just reminding you what you said to me the first day I was here. You are breaking up the team by showing her out. That's it."

"She is always doing that." The Director suddenly raised her voice in frustration, "Always! Endangering others. There was a reason I never wanted her on this team. What we do, it's dangerous. She might write about crimes but she has very little knowledge about the dangers we are constantly in."

"Now that she has spent time in this world, she knows the danger."

"I can't overlook her being liability to my team Riya." The Director warned.

"Then don't." She shrugged, "Give her ultimatum. Tell her what is she is supposed to do and not do when it's a dangerous situation. Tell her encounters and confrontation with criminals are off limits. Do whatever it takes to keep her away. You are the Director."

Both the women eyed each other for another minutes until the Director said, "I am not making any promises."

"Of course not." The ACP feigned innocence, to which she rolled eyes smirking. As she looked the former leaving the room, she said, "Look at you, becoming the part of team."

"Just following the Director's order." She winked and left, banging the door like always. The Director chuckled, shaking head. 

Even after the heartfelt (?) conversation with the Director and watching her leave, ACP Mukherjee didn't leave. The bad habit of weeks to spend all her time in here, even when she was feeling not so great and confused, was starting to get to her. She was sitting on one of ETF's SUV's bonnet, staring at nothing, when Chotu bid good night as he headed home for the night.

"Can we talk?" She jumped down from the bonnet, to which the Commando looked surprised, but nodded anyway. 

"I want some informations." She hesitated to drag him in her mess, but there was no other choice. She had words from some of her informers, who saw the (literal) downfall of Junaid, and said the arrangment between them had suffered considerable damage. When she had saved them all those years ago to grant the favors, naturally they assumed they will be saved from Police as long as they help her. Now that illusion is broken, they needed time to think what that means for their arrangement. 

Time which she is running out.

"Sure." He replied, but the question was clear in his eyes. Why him?

"My circle is unavailable for the moment." She said cautiously, and even if it was not enough, he accepted it. People around her was slowly becoming used to the answers from her which were not really satisfying. 

"I will arrange a meeting between you and my people, whenever you are ready." He offered. At least he was giving her space to run things by herself, even if he will eventually know from his men what she needs. She appreciated the courtesy.

"Thanks.''

"Anytime, Ma'am." He bid goodnight and left. 

She turned and saw her earlier place on the SUV bonnet was occupied by none other than the ETF Second in command, Arjun Rawte. She had seen him upstairs, nose burried in files as he frowned in concentration. Now he looked pretty relaxed, curious even. Not at all exhausted by the turn of night or this late hour.

"What was that hushed up conversation?" He knew most likely he won't get any answers, but it was like a ritual between them. He asked something and she dismiss by some line, but she never asked anything. The curiosity was all his.

"Just a girl, standing in front of a guy . . . " she drawled.

"Interesting." He said mockingly, the corner of eyes wrinkling.

"Bidding him good night." She teased as she hopped on the bonnet. He groaned.

"Such a kill joy."

"Is this the part where you pretend to be okay when your heart is silently bleeding because your . . . "

"Not that word." He warned.

"Team mate," she tilted her head, "was forced to leave by our evil Director?"

"Evil." He tested the word under his breath, but then shrugged as he answered, "it was long coming. She on gun point and the Director's outburst. I am not surprised."

"You can at least pretend to be hurt." she mocked, to which raised one eyebrow.

"Why should I?"

She mumbled under breath something like blind and bad eye sight, which he let pass, something else on his mind to ask her about.

"You knew him, right?" 

Like all the time, she knew exactly who he was talking about. She stayed silent, and he sighed.

"Your informer?"

She nodded, looking away.

"You knew about his charges?"

She again stayed silent, and he got his answers. She still didn't look at him, but could sense he was not frustrated or angry at her lack of sharing information. For some reasons it made her forthcoming.

"You were right." she said quietly, "It's not always so clear, right and wrong. It sounded perfectly okay in head, he should pay for his crimes. But watching him die . . . " she trailed off.

"It was not easy." He supplied and she met his eyes, nodding.

"He expected me to help him."

"He was surely mistaking." He said lightly, and her lips curled upward. 

"So, did I disturb your brodding and guilt trip?" He asked with mock alarm, head tilting like she did, "Do we have to restart?"

"We?" She played along, humming negative, "I think I am the one brooding."

"I am the one with loud angry voice." He nodded, "But I can give company, or maybe not . . . " he drawled when she raised eyebrows, "You surely prefer lonely guilt trips."

"Ah understanding." She exclaimed quietly, "Just like you to abandon me in agony."

"I will never abandon you." He answered with all seriousness, and suddenly the earlier light moment was gone. It took her several seconds to overcome it.

"I was not on guilt trip."

"Why not heading home then?" He asked.

"The Building begged me not to leave it alone." She answered sarcastically. He laughed under breath, shaking head.

"It's not in me to win over you." He replied, then turned serious, "Seriously, do you even sleep?"

"I should warn you, it's night and not a good time to talk about supernatural elements."

He rolled eyes, "Whatever." He jumped from the bonnet and stood on his feet, "You want to come? I am heading home."

"Later." She replied easily. He narrowed his eyes, certainly not pleased, but didn't comment on it as he started walking, but then he paused.

"Good night," He then dropped his voice and added in a soft tone, "Riya."

She nodded and watched him walking away to his car and driving off, and found earlier heaviness long gone.

Interesting. Who knew the long suffering glare-y boss can be so . . . good company.

Acceptation brings a lot of emotion- anger, surprise, sadness, happens in a flash of a moment, catching one off guard. If it feels forgiving, it will go easy on you.

--

There are seven kinds of sins, or faults in people which lead them to their doom. But really, they should make another place for Impatience. It is the most contradicting fault in human, makes them do impulsive things which most of the time leads to wrong sides, because people often takes matter on their hands without thinking it through. Impatience is a dangerous fault, or even characteristic to begin with.

For people like ACP Mukherjee who are notorious for their impatience, the danger level is higher than normal people. She was the never the kind of person to wait for someone to arrive or stand in a long list of line, partly because she never had to as world literally moved around her, partly because she never wanted to. If the line for shopping mall's receipt was taking long, she would make someone else stand while she was off to do something else. If Car needed servicing for one hour, she will take another. There was lots of option and it added incredibly to her already present impatience.

After her job, her most impatience-ness transformed into stepping the boundary lines kind of actions, like forcing the suspect to confess using violence, or flirt with the security camera guy for video footage. it was not like she was the only one doing this, but she was the only one who was willing to do it again and again, as long as it helped the case on hand, never fearing the consequences or departmental hearing. She knew fully none will back her up if she was ever suspended or shown the door because of her actions, not even her family relations because she was the one to cut herself from them. There was an Arrogance inside her that the Department will never sack her because she was valuable, which she was, and even if they did, she will just find something else and start again.This was one of the major reason why she was transferred from Bomb Squad to normal boring police job, even after being a valuable member. Bomb Squad was only supposed to disable a bomb and give report on it, not to dig out where the material came from. 

So, really, it was not her fault when she had some words about Nasir Jamal and she wanted to check it by herself, by breaking into Director Kapoor's cabin secretly. From both her and her colleague's informer network, she came to know that Nasir Jamal, the rat who has a main business of running a brothel and supply girls from all over the Asia and a side business of providing fake passports, is under the watch of RAW from past 9 years. When she first heard that, the prospect seemed to her impossible and OTT, and it still is, and it made no sense why that Man is under the watch of India's most discreet agency or why the man was in the phone record of both Raja, that man her Director sent her to months ago for some private spy stuff, and her demised lover. But then, when it came to this case, nothing ever made sense. It seemed a little bit impossible and a hell lot more lie, but when the word is out there, there had to be some truth behind it. None utter the name RAW if there was no fact behind it, even if the chances are .001%.

She knew she was not the only one after Nasir Jamal. Director Kapoor saw her going through Raja's call contact lists and the ACP was willing to bet she made some phone calls about the name the moment she noticed it. Even Raghu sir knew, whether the Director informed him or he found out some other twisted way, she didn't know, though chances are Director and he had some kind of ally to keep an eye on her, though the Director is not getting anything out of this deal. If they know something, who knows they are after him this very moment while she  is wasting her time thinking if the words from the other side was right or not. 

Also, she, in fact everyone, was sitting pretty idly from few days.

Tonight, when she waited around with files and scowled at reports and observed the office slowly deserting, she headed for Director's office, of course freezing the CCTV first. It took only 7 minutes for her to find the most important thing which can help her dig more into Jamal without using any physical presense of labour.

But once outside, she was caught by a shocked and suspicious looking Secong in command Rawte.

"Why you were inside?"

"I thought you headed for the night." She could swear he had left. He fixed his jaw.

"I asked you something."

"I just placed my report on her desk." She rolled eyes and took a step to move, "She is always strangling my neck about that."

He didn't seem to buy it, "You could have given tomorrow."

"Surprise!" She answered sarcastically. He continued to look at her, obviously not buying, but also trying to understand the motive.

"You can check inside if you want." She motioned her hand to the Director's cabin. She could have gone for defensive and angry, but that would have added to his suspicion. He exhaled breath slowly, shaking off the scepticism, and she sighed internally in relief.

"Unlike you, I have the sense of privacy." He answered sternly, "Heading out?"

She thought about the chip in CCTV room, "Ladies room first."

He bid good night and headed out, and she ran for CCTV, thankfully the guard was still asleep. She tiptoed in the room, took the chip and CCTV started again. As she walked toward parking lot she chuckled to herself, why no CCTV in CCTV room? But then, it would have made her job harder.

Even if the existence is RAW is questionable, due to the scarcity of evidence and no mention in Constitution, every National Law enforcement agency and high level IPS officers has access to it's database. RAW's database contains details of thousands of criminals, people who are suspected of dangerous crimes but never got punished for lack of evidence, people who are potentially capable of doing more damage than they already did, people who has ties to bigger fishes both inside and outside of Country. There are seperate IDs and passwords for every person who have access to it, and one can only access to the database with an one-of-a-kind Network driver. The existence of the driver is strictly confidential, and even if someone tried to use it illegally, the smart security features of RAW database will lock down the driver and track the IP address if they find no match of the location registered in their records, making way for Central jail and at least 20 years of Jail time. 

Moral of the story, even if one got hold of the driver, they have to be very careful while using it.

Of course, ACP Mukherjee didn't know all these. But she had the idea that she should not use it herself and without a secure location where none can track her. It was a miracle she even got it, because none will be stupid enough to leave it lying around, and she only got it because Director left the office in a hurry due to a family emergency. So, she didn't immediately jump on it the moment she was inside her apartment, but called someone who knew what to use it properly without the IP address traced back to her.

"What you have gotten for me tonight? Interpol? Mossad? Ooh I know," the man waved his fingers in excitement, "FBI?"

"Your fingers are always itching to hack are not they?" ACP Mukherjee handed over the driver as soon as she stood in front of the man, who snatched it and turned his chair toward his laptop, already on work.

"What can I say, Internet is addictive." He answered excitedly.

"You mean Hacking." She replied, eyeing around. Being a Hygiene freak, it pained her everytime to come to this Man's dungeon and see the dirty messy room, but she had no choice. This guy never come out, even if someone pay him double.

"Any specific IP you want me to use?" He asked, fingers dancing over key board.

"Try ETF."

"Huh." He sulked, "So you are for them. What happened to the resident IT head?"

"None of your business." She gave a sugery smile, which shut him up. Only for 3 minutes.

"It's asking for ID and PW and . . . Yeah! Take that!" He exclaimed, stabbing a finger, "BTW what site is this? Never came across it."

She stood beside him, leaning casually over him eyeing the laptop, "Search a name Nasir Jamal."

"Okay." He drawled, and soon came a bunch of informations which would be impossible for her to read before tomorrow morning. She rubbed fingers over forehead.

"Who's he? Terrorist?" He asked, already halfway through the first para. 

"Print it all." She ignored his question. After several more minutes she had at least 400 pages of informations on him, no doubt to details of surveillance on him. She ordered him to log out which he did, and handed over the driver.

"The IP will show ETF, right?" She had to ask, even if she knew the answer.

"Are you having doubts on my ability?" The man frowned, crossing arms and pouting lips, "Because let me tell you something. If I was not so much into bad kind of hacking, I would have been out there, working with RAW or IB may be, or even working with you in ETF. I am wounded you had to ask me."

"Are all IT guys this blabbery?" She asked tiredly, "Look, just answer."

"None will know the site was accessed from a shadowy dungeon. It will show ETF IP. Satisfied?" He answered mockingly.

"Very." She took out the bundle of money, "Here. Stop sulking."

"You know if you are having doubt . . . " He trailed off, counting the money. She gave a stern gaze.

"If I have doubt, I will find someone else." She replied, then smirked, "By the way, congrats."

"For what?" He asked, lost in money. She starting heading out.

"For breaking into RAW."

The answering squeal and victorious dialogues could be heard from miles away.

With all honesty, Stealing something is not difficult. One just have to plan once, and execute it once. But it's the putting the stolen item back in place takes a different level of planning. There is a constant danger of getting caught, and if the person doesn't know someone stole something from him or her, putting stolen item back in place has the maximum chance to let them know someone was stolen, often catching the thief with the said item. 

ACP Mukherjee knew the Director was due to return in afternoon, and she had another several hours of her absense to put the driver back in place. But that da*n hawkeye like secretary never moved from her place, and there was a new case for the Team. She should have been brooding or pissed at the circumstances, but rather she was amused and observant of this new case. Actually, everyone in the team was, especially the Crime Journo Sakshi, adding more to her amusement, the minutes the words were out of Sameer's mouth this morning.

"Why is your ex-girlfriend heading toward us?"

They all were in discussion room, sipping coffee and sulking for the lack of productive work. As soon as the words were out, everyone looked at each other, then to their second in command, at last resting their eyes outside through the one way glass on the pretty lady dressed in light orange Salwar. Riya noticed with great interest the way Arjun's eyes narrowed and a concerned expression came on his face.

He was the first one to move.

Turned out, she was not here to reconcile their past relation like some people thought as soon as the word "ex-girlfriend" was out, but she was a murder suspect. It was laughable, one look at the face and anyone could say she was not the killer, but they work with evidences and they had to prove it.

"Ex girlfriend?" Sakshi whispered as soon as Roshni, the said ex-GF, was out of ear shot.

"Really, that's all you heard?" Shree replied in annoyance.

"Of course that's all she heard Shree." Chotu teased, "Really, sometimes you are so thick."

"Guys." Sameer warned, "I think we should tone down the fun times. Boss," He mimicked the way Riya calls him that, taking a glance at the woman beside him, "won't appreciate it."

"Why they broke up?" Asked the Crime journo. Sameer rolled his eyes and exhaled a sharp breath.

"Because some people just do." Answered ACP Mukherjee in irritation, "Can we focus on case here now?"

Roshni is a professor in a reputed College. The VP was killed recently by poisoning. The last three people who saw him alive in his cabin were her, and some other two people. Police found traces of poison in the Tea the VP was drinking, so none poisoned him before he came into College. One of the three people is blind, so most likely he didn't do it, another one is the 70 year old secretary of his. None of them had any motive to kill the VP.

"So what, they accuse her because she is young and healthy to add poison to his tea?" ACP Mukherjee asked, "Doesn't sound like a nice reason for imprison someone."

"None of the three has any reason to kill him. The Police just trying to close the case." Sameer shut the file and leaned back to his seat, "What about his family?"

"One daughter, married and living in UK." Rawte replied, "She also could not name one person who can harm her father like that."

"Why are we stuck with no suspect cases?" Chotu asked in irritation, reading the file.

"What about that secretary?" Sakshi's question drew all of their's attention, "Maybe she did it, old or not."

"And why is that?" Shree asked.

"Oh she might have been pissed. He must have long affair with her. You know how Boss secretary things work." She said, pleased with herself.

"Assumption like this won't help this case." Rawte glared at her, "Anyone got better ideas?"

"Police already dug up all they could on VP's life and interrogated the Professors. I can still look up on his personal life."

"We will go to College then." Rawte said, "Chotu, grill the working officer on this case. See if he cracks."

"On it." He stood up, already on work. 

"Let's go, team." 

Saint Rogers was as sophisticated and English as it sounds like. The campus was clean, students and teachers talked in hushed voice as if the whole place was a big library, everyone looked from influential and rich family, big brands of bags and dresses and shoes and Cars were as normal as the unbearable heat of Mumbai.

Just a regular, rich kids College.

"I heard some film crew did a shooting here some days ago." Sameer said, "Da*n we are late."

"Late for the late VP?" ACP Mukherjee said sarcastically, to which everyone scoffed and Rawte's lips curled up. They divided into teams, Sameer to talk with Principal while Shree and Sakshi went to talk with first 30 professors on the list. Rawte and Mukherjee took the next 30 and they spread out.

After 4 hours of interrogating everyone one thing was clear, VP was not the most popular guy on campus and none bought that Roshni did the killing. Everyone only had high praises for her, even some of the students they talked. There was not even any evidence pointing at her besides she was the last person to see the VP alive.

Rawte and Mukherjee ran into Roshni while the latter just finished a teary eyed conversation with the Librarian who emptied the whole tissue box and emerged from the door. The Boss walked ahead, steps hesitant and halting. They two had some convo the ACP never heard because she could not, and because she had no interest in, and busied herself with her phone with the ETF receptionist Neha asking if the Director is in yet. The latter replied in negative, and she thanked her lucky stars. Some more time and she can place the driver back in place, they are nearly finished in here.

She nearly jumped when the Boss sneaked up to her and spoke, "Can you interrogate her?"

"Sure." She eyed the woman and followed her as she pointed toward an empty class room to talk, while he remained outside, calling the rest of trio for an update. The interrogation ended quickly, if she knew the VP before the College, any extreme emotion for him, any reason to doubt others, his behavior towards her. She dismissed the professor as she made some notes, but found her staring at her instead. She did that the whole time, not the eye-contact kind of gaze, but penetrating gaze like she is sizing her up, trying to gauze her.

"Any questions?" She asked, not meeting her eyes.

"So it was because of you." The professor's casual voice took a turn for anger and hostility. The ACP looked up.

"Excuse me?"

"He said he don't see me in his future. Was it because of you?" The former asked, hurt and anger in eyes, "How long you two are together?"

The ACP had no doubt about whom she was talking, "That obvious, huh?" She asked sarcastically, which the former obviously thought was the affirmation of her accusation.

"Did you know about me? How could . . . " Her words were cut by the ice cold voice of the ACP's.

"If I were you, I would watch the next words." she paused, "Though in real, I would never be like someone who accuse another woman of cheating with her ex boyfriend."

The Professor's mouth opened and shut for a couple of times before answering, "I needed to know."

"Then gather courage and ask the Man himself." She got up, pushing the chair roughly behind with a little bit than necessary force which made a ugly sound on the floor, "Hopefully next time you will be more civil. Can expect this feature from a professor from a reputed college, right?" She banged the door behind her as she left, making the professor jump inside the room. 

"What happened inside?" Rawte asked as they both waited in parking lot for the rest of team to meet, leaning against the SUV's bonnet.

"Nothing." Her reply was crisp and short.

"You were not looking this murderous when we left ETF, even if this is your default expression."

For the first time he genuinely made her smile, which she tried to hide by looking sideways, "What is it?" he asked.

She didn't answer and he sighed, "If it was for Roshni, I apologize." 

"Why do you think it's her?"

"Maybe because I saw some assumption in her eyes." He said mostly to himself, but of course she heard. She always heard. 

"You care about her." She didn't mean to say that aloud, but somehow it was out there and he was looking at her the next moment.

"That's why I am here." He replied, no trace of sadness, which was surprising even to himself. She locked her eyes with him for some moment until decided to make the situation lighter for both of their sakes. She didn't want to make another comment or know any details about his past love life.

"Honestly, your girlfriend's observation sucks." She deadpanned even if there was humour in her voice.

"Ex girlfriend." He corrected, tilting head, "And why is that?"

"You and me? Really?" She mimicked his action, eyes shining with amusement, "You and me."

"You and me." He said back.

"So different."

"Like chalk and cheese."

"Like Two poles of Earth."

"But knowledgable."

"Angry people. Just need a reason."

"Stubborn. Reckless." He added, "Even if you are a totally game altogether."

"Can totally rock undercover job." She supplied narrowing gaze at him.

"Not too different then." He observed with a small smile.

She hummed in reply, "Still, you and me?" she shook head.

"Not even a little bit??" he went with the flow.

"Don't give a girl wrong impression." She answered in quasi- stern voice.

"Do you want the impression?" He countered. She didn't instantly reply to it, but then both their heads turned to see the trio finally arrived. She eyed the crime journo busy with the other two in hushed whisper, while the Men looked at each other in helplessness, chuckling.

"Are you hoping for a little bit?" She continued to earlier teasing and his eyes snapped toward her in surprise, being caught off guard. She was obviously enjoying how he was unable to answer anything, but decided to end this before he does, "The question of the hour is, how you will deal with your . . . " she eyed the crime journo suggestively, trailing off. He inhaled a sharp breath as she turned her head to meet the trio, irritated at her implication.

"Let's leave." He said to others, giving a stern gaze to her who shurgged in response when Sameer eyed her at their Boss's foul expression.  

"Ah, what a moment." Sameer said to himself as he hopped on a desk facing the discussion room, "I need popcorn." 

"Sometime you don't sound like Senior Officer Rathore." ACP Mukherjee said to him, who looked at her.

"Hey, a guy sometime needs entertainment."

"I thought you watch film."

"There is a limit one can watch repeats of Die Hard series without throwing away the DVDs."

"Try Dhoom then." Chotu said beside them, joining the conversation.

"The copy of Hollywood blended and ruined together? No thanks, I will pass." Sameer answered sarcastically, to which Chotu shrugged.

"What moment you were talking about?" he asked. The former stabbed a finger to discussion room.

"That. My best friend cum Boss being grilled by our in house crime journo."

"Someone should ready fire extinguisher." Liza said to herself, and hurried to discuss as everyone wriggled their eyes suggestively, "I meant they might kill each other, or shout."

"And here I thought you were finally talking innuendos." Shree teased and earned a smack in arm which he rubbed, obviously in pain.

"BTW how she is back anyway? She just brushed off everytime I asked." Chotu asked, frowning as he looked at others.

"I also wonder how." Sameer drawled and looked at the ACP, so not under the impression of this mystery. She looked away, sighing. The Director really needs to shut her mouth in front of her Boyfriend. 

Speaking of Director . . . 

She went off, the team not even giving looks as she left, long past used to her inability to say the words 'Excuse me'. She took a file she was working on, headed straight in the Director's office. She just entered some minutes ago, not even settling down, when she heard the door burst open and the ACP entering like a hurricane.

"You need to stop doing that!" She started shouting.

"Do what?"

"Giving me stupid works. I know you are the Boss but you should not abuse power."

"What are you talking about?" The Director was clueless. The ACP slammed the file on table.

"That!" She stabbed a finger, "I don't want to work on that."

"What is even that?" The Director took a step to look into the file but jumped when the ACP shouted again.

"I never thought you will do that! You know how much I loathe it, still?" She ran fingers in hair, now pacing in room, around her table in circles like a caged animal, "How could you? If you don't want me here, just say it. I will quit."

"I have no idea what you talking about." The Director was frustrated.

"Really, I did that before. I can do now. I will quit. Yes!" She slammed both of her hands on table, accidentally hitting the already opened drawer when she suddenly stopped. The drawer collided with her knee and fell on floor, things scattering everywhere. If it was anybody else, they would have been on floor now hissing with pain, but she didn't even flinch, only muttered angrily and kneeled on floor to gather the things.

When she also slipped the Driver into things.

The Director was beside her seconds later, enough for her to finish her job. She helped to get all things and fix the drawer back, when the Secretary knocked and entered inside, "I heard noises." She said in a way of explaining, eyeing suspiciously the ACP.

"It's okay." The Director dismissed and the former went back, closing the door. Both the ladies finished the job and stood up, the Director eyeing the ACP.

"Want to tell me what this is all about?"

"I don't want to do paper works." She again shouted, and the Director raised both hands in air in surrender.

"Okay, okay. Fine don't do it." 

"Never ever."

"That's not possible." The Director shook head.

"I hate that. I will do mistakes and repeat mistakes when you give them back to me for correction." The simple stated fact sounded like threat. The Director narrowed eyes.

"1 month." She dismissed, "After that restart."

The ACP nodded stiffly.

"Is that all?" 

The former pondered over that from inside and outside, finally decided to tell, "You once asked me what will I do if I ever had to chose something personal and this team."

The Director nodded, and she continued, "That escaped prisoner? He was one of my informer." The former sounded surprised, expecting least this information.

"I hope now you won't doubt my commitment."

"I never doubted your commitment." The Director said gently, "I was just afraid, that one day when we, this team will need you, you won't be here. That is the worst thing can happen to a team." she paused, "Not anymore."

"Not anymore?" The ACP asked, sceptic.

"Not anymore." She confirmed. 

Even after achieving what she intended, she questioned herself whether she can be here for the team, to commit and be loyal to it when she is manipulating it for her own purpose. Sure, her actions might lead her and everyone of them to something big, but the ways she is taking was not right. 

She never questioned her intentions earlier. Ever.

The killer of the VP turned out to be the blind guy, who bolted for the door as soon as they reached his door steps with warrant. Turned out, he was the illegitimate kid of the VP, a result of an affair years ago. What's better than a little bit poison for that abandonment years ago, right?

Apparently, he was faking the eyesight as well.

"So much for being a blind." Sameer muttered as he and ACP Mukherjee hopped on another SUV, chasing the guy. The guilty broke all red lights and drove on footpaths, injuring several in the process, making a chaos for others. The SUVs and Police cars stopped in front of a four way when the guilty made his way to a one way.

"Ever watched Die hard?" Sameer asked as suddenly he started driving to a different direction than the guilty. When the ACP didn't answer, he said, "We are about to find out."

He drove through a park, which was the shortest way to catch the guilty's car on his way. The SUV and it's red light and it's siren created pandemonium, people screamed and jumped off the way, horrified and shocked. The beautiful grass of the park was ruined by the muddy tires of the SUV, and then they nearly T-boned the guilty's car.

"How did you enjoy the driving?" He asked afterwards, earning chuckles from rest and a stern gaze from the ACP, who switched fast to a pleasing expression, sending alarms in his head.

"I will drive back." To which the senior agent gulped.

When they reached ETF back, he mumbled to himself, "Never with her again."

The team watched a semi awkward conversation between the Boss and his ex-Girlfriend near the door, without the popcorn. For some reason she gave one last look at the intriguing ACP sitting beside them, and when the team turned to her in question she asked, "What?" in a little loud voice.

Though, the day was far from being over.

She was heading for a early leave when Boss cornered her, "You lied to me."

She simply frowned in response.

"The reason you went to the Director's office."

"And what was the reason I went you think?" She asked in irritation, somehow she was always caught by him and she was frustrated with this repeatation again and again.

"I don't know." He took a step toward her, "But I do know the security footage was tempered with that night. Shree was expressing concern about it."

"Did he also express concern over my involvement?" Her voice turned bitter.

"Don't lie." He was not angry, he merely accepted it and somehow, it was not as comforting to her that he didn't know or asking her about it, even if she won't answer, as it should have been, "You don't want to admit despite the evidence, fine, but don't lie. Just don't."

She didn't answer, but she could not look away either. He exhaled softly.

"You knew I would not suspect you, right?" He asked in a quiet voice, "You knew I won't ask you anything else if you came out convincing. You knew I trusted you." He looked away, exhaling once again, "And still, I can't bring myself to be angry at you or yell at you. It's so very you, the lies and secrecies. You were always like that the moment you walked into." 

She didn't know what to say that moment. The situation was uncomfortable, she would rather run than stay and witness this, but she could not bring herself to leave, rooted to spot.

"What do you expect me to say?" She asked after a while. He sharply looked at her, stuck in his mind. He looked surprised with something he was thinking and oddly calm.

"Nothing. Just don't lie to me."

Which is something she hardly does now a days.

"Roshni told me to say Sorry to you on her behalf." He said at last, turned and left the room.

But she can try. Something about this Man makes her want to try, how difficult that might be. At least he was not looking for answers.   

She can live with that.

There is no right or wrong in this World. It's all Grey.

--

From childhood, the seeds of right and wrong are saw in our little minds. The world becomes our teacher, parents, their friends, our teachers, even neighbour aunty tells us what we should do and not do. We have some specific schedules, what we have to do, and everyone tells us the rules.

But as we grow up, the lines of right and wrong just doesn't add up with our conscience. It's not like during childhood the conscience was not there, but there were too much voices in our heads which directed our course. In childhood, not doing homework was wrong, but in adulthood, not doing homework because our best friend didn't finish his was good enough reason not to be wrong. It was not right, but it was not wrong either. We come out of the listed rules and situations, and the Universe lets it's children out to find their destiny. We come across situations we have to handle ourselves, about whom there are no voices or guidelines. So the pre-existed right and wrong lines didn't exist anymore. Each individual had their own right and wrong.

Like to Crime journo Sakshi Anand, solving crime is right. To solve crime, manipulating suspects and hacking their cells and bank records was right as well. But she drew the line when it comes to torturing during interrogation. Granted, the person enduring torture was most likely the guilty at that time, but no police or law enforcement had the right to torture someone. It violated human rights on so many level.

She was in her field from years. Mention of torture was not new to her. But after her collab with ETF she saw first hand the tortures. Sure, they stood by law most of time but Chotu was always eager to use his strength to fullest only to hurry up the case's speed. He was not life threatening, but it was unacceptable to her. Soon she was used to it and no longer flinched when he stepped to provide muscle when some suspect was being too tough. Discomfort of Shree, another fellow ETFian to his friend cum colleague's attitude helped as well.

She was horrified when ACP Mukherjee came to picture. From the moment they both crossed each other's path, she was rude and indifferent to her and the crime journo had to bear the burnt when she did some background searches to quench her thirst of curiosity about the mysterious ACP and the latter found out about that. Never in her life did she come across a person like her who had no regard for other's feeling and no self consciousness about other's opinion on her. To add more to the horror and discomfort, the ACP's attitude to physical violence was something she could not grasp even after all these months. Sure, she helped during cases and had sharp observations, but when it comes to using strength, none could beat her. It was astonishing to see a woman weight only some 60 KG was so efficient and brutal in her actions, it's like she was taught to hurt people. Maybe she was exeggerating, but she felt like that.

Today, they just closed another case and the guilty came out of interrogation room grunting in pain. The ACP had a special liking for thumbs when it come to torture, from the very first day in ETF, and today was no different. After the torture she also made sure the guilty doesn't mention the torture and say the pain was due to the elevator, his finger coming between the doors, and Sakshi had to admit, she was even more menacing when she is threatening in her low quiet voice, experiencing it herself first hand. Sameer made a remark about the infamous Elevator of ETF which causing pain to Criminals only when the police took the guilty out, and she felt sick. 

"Don't you think it's getting too much?" She asked one day to the Second in command, who looked at her sharply at the question.

"What?"

"The torture. Earlier it was ocassionally, but now in almost every case you guys are doing it."

"It's not our fault the people are being so difficult." he remarked dryly, not liking the topic of conversation. He never liked her presence in this team, but since that background search, he was more distant and cold to her, which most of the time she tried to overlook and failed.

"I am just saying we should try different approach." She stated calmly, "What if one of them just file a complain? All of you will come under investigation."

"We never hurt innocent people." He said in defense, "It's mostly the guilty, and only when we are 100% sure and they are not giving any confession."

"I didn't say you guys are doing it." She replied, both hands on air in surrender, "It's just one person. And you can avoid it just by controlling the person."

He didn't answer her right away, just watched her for several moments. She felt more uncomfortable with each passing seconds.

"We are in this together." He said calmly, but it was more like dismissing her and that too in a unpleasing way, "One person doing something, but none of us are stopping the person. By not saying anything, we are also an accomplisher. We are in this together." He reopened the file in front of him once again, now looking into it, "So when someone file complain, it will be for all of us."

Despite his words, she felt as if he was suspecting her to file a complain herself, "I never said I will complain or something."

He didn't answer, and the air grew thick with tension. 

She dropped the subject for another one month, but could not stop herself when one shocking incident happened inside ETF Interrogation room. This serial killer was one nasty piece of work, and played with his victims and police alike. Evidences were pointing at him but they just needed a confession, anything out of his mouth which says he did these, but he was not giving away, despite being trapped from all direction. Inside the interrogation room the Man sat calmly as if he was there watching TV, while everyone tried their best to crack the Man.

Instead, the man cracked one of them.

Usually, ACP Mukherjee is the least patient and most angry person of this team, which is a dangerous combination. She is almost always thinking about something, snapping at others when things are going south, always ready to take risks and coming with ways to solve case which are most of the time outside rules. Sakshi always thought the ACP is always hanging by a loose thread, like she is snapping at others but she is holding back, she is being menacing to criminals but she is holding back. It's like she was restraining herself, saving herself for something, which is good. She don't want to imagine what it will be like if the ACP didn't handle herself, if the inner self control snaps one day. 

Until it did.

The Man was not cracking and like always, the ACP took the chair opposite to him from her usual leaning on wall and observing the scene in front of her. It was like an alarm went on in everyone of their mind, someone who controls mind and manipulate people, and someone like hers who is hanging by a thread, together in the same room, facing each other. She didn't outright went for violence like she always did, because all of them knew the Man was too smart and tight lipped to open his mouth due to bodily pain. She tried to reason with him, saying how there is no way he can get out of this but if he give early confession he might get less years in jail. He instead started to figure her out, picking on her body language and facial expression, saying under her calm facade she is itching to hurt him, that she must have endured mental trauma in her life, that somone close to her must have gotten hurt.

The last bit didn't settle well for the ACP, and in a blink of eye she was on her feet, held the man by collar and pushed him against the opposite wall. 

Everyone ran like bat out of hell to separate the two, and the Man amidst all the chaos was smiling smugly at his accomplishment that at least one of them gave him some reaction. Rawte dragged the enraged ACP out of interrogation room and Sakshi decided it was enough. If she can't do something, she will have someone else to do something. Okay, the killer instigated her, but it's the nature of criminals. What kind of officer the ACP is if she give in? What if the next time she goes beyond the usual thumb twisting and hurt someone seriously and the whole team is under scrutiny due to that? She can't have that, she cares too much for the team and a certain Second in command, even if he doesn't get it.

That night she sweet talked and bribed one of CCTV room's guard and got the footage, and sent it to a rival news channel, Anonymously. Yes, her Boss will eat her alive because of this missing breaking news, but she gave enough breaking news due to her association with ETF, also, she can't betray her team by being that much obvious.

"What the f*ck you were doing?"

"I lost control."

"That's not any excuse."

"I am not giving any."

During all these months of working together, Arjun often thought one of these days, the smart mouth, broody and ACP nasty temper Mukherjee will surely snap one day. The time he didn't like her, he used to think when she does lost control he will watch from sidelines and enjoy the catastrophe. Now when they had reached a position where they can behave civilly with each other without killing the other, ocassionally even talk without any major accident, he liked to think he knew her better. Even at her lowest end, she could hold herself together.

Until she could not.

He blamed himself fully for this. The moment she sat opposite the freak killer he knew they were in trouble. Soon enough the guy did some of his mind trick and she lost her temper. He knew the killer had touched some raw nerve but right now, he was too angry to go there. He dragged her himself from there and took far away from the da*ned interrogation room, from the psycho, not even noticing where they are. Suddenly the anger burst inside and he pushed her against a wall, pinning her between himself and the concrete, and saw for the first time her reaction. She still looked red with anger, but it was because of her losing it or the freak killer, he could not tell. Or maybe both.

His one hand was still around her wrist, and the other on the wall near her frame. He stepped away, letting her loose, and she slowly sunk on the floor. It was not break down, or not for the reason one would like to think. She was exhausted, and stunned that she lost control. She was not thinking about the consequences, what mattered was that she lost it. Her self control was not that perfect like she thought.

He found himself beside her on floor, staring into somewhere blankly. For a moment he disconnected himself from everything, what happened back there, what will happen now, everything. All he could hear his own breathing which was returning to normal, her deep breathes to calm herself down, and the dull hum of the office in the background. 

"I lost control." Riya said quietly after a while. He looked at her and found her looking blankly to somewhere much like him.

"You did."

"It should not have happen."

"He touched some nerve." He said softly. He didn't want to spook her or start a fight. He was not demanding any explanation either. He had long accepted her silence or changing subjects on his questions.

"For more informations, you can do some backgroundsearch like your team mate did." There was barest hint of bitterness, but she was trying to be casual. She was struggling herself to become normal. The incident shook everyone but not like it did to her.

"I will never do that to you." He leaned his head so that it was resting on the wall. When she turned her neck to look at him, he replied, "I will just ask you if I want to."

"Even if I don't answer or dodge questions?" Her lips curled up barely. 

"I think I kinda like that tactic." If she was going for casual and normal, he will give that to her. 

She is a complicated person. The moment they met, her subsequent joining in ETF, her working with him and the team, he was becoming sure of that. People around her and the relationships he witnessed were complicated too. Half the time he don't understand how her mind works, or why she thinks something in that particular way. But they had come a long way from their first meeting where she seriously hurt his neck by pinning him on SUV's bonnet. He saw beyond her way of talking and inputs in cases, saw the big picture behind those reckless ideas, saw how under the indifference she was actually becoming the part of team, caring for the team, even if she won't accept it. Somewhere amidst the crazy roller coster ride of irritation, itching to kill her or show her who the Boss attitude, he accepted her for who she was, with the secrecies, sarcasms, biting replies, even those too low cut short dresses and her inability to feel pain. Somewhere in this journey he trusted her, even if she was not ever fully truthful or trusted anyone else. Somewhere in this journey he was able to sit beside her on SUV bonnet and have one or two light conversations, or bring coffee for her, or accept when she manipulated him for something, without demanding anything in return. He had a faith that his trust won't be proved wrong if placed on her. He didn't know why, but he might just trust her with his own life. 

Time will tell if he is wrong.

To be honest, the aftermath of the scene in interrogation was a disaster. They didn't get any confession, but the evidences were enough for the killer so he was shifted to a high security jail till the hearing date. Everyone was in tension, looking at each other, dying to talk about it but at the same time feeling uncomfortable. There was a reason why none of the team or half the office didn't head for home until 10 in night, everyone knew what happened today was a major thing and they didn't know what to expect or will happen now.

ACP Mukherjee was summoned around 9 PM in the Director's office. If people found her intimidating earlier, now they were frightened of her. The ACP went to the Director's cabin like she always does, banging door and without a care in world, looking directly into her eyes without any explanation of her part.

The Director beat around bush for some seconds, cursing her temper and blasting her for her immature behavior, then informing there will be an investigation on her, when the ACP dropped the bomb. She took out her Gun and I-card, and placed it on the Director's desk.

"What's this?" The Director asked, pissed and somewhat confused.

"I quit." The ACP stated simply. That it is shocking is that understatement of the century.

"Quit? Just like that?" The Director felt suspicious and rather dumb. It's like she was missing a big picture. With ACP Mukherjee, there is always something going on, some secret, so when she said about quitting naturally the Director thought something was going on behind her back. ACP Mukherjee never gave up, well if she excuse the resignation years ago. There is no reason she will be apologetic because of her losing temper in front of a killer or hurting him.

"You want me to announce it in Papers?" The ACP (or, ex- ACP?) gathered some good humour, but it vanished soon, "I screwed up. You were always dreading this, right? So I quit, your team will be unharmed and I am just saving the time of investigation. Everyone know they will suspend me or something like that."

"You can't give up." The Director narrowed her eyes in suspicion, then said rather strongly, "You can't give up! You never did."

"I am just saving some time." The ACP said casually.

"What about your reason to come here? What will happen to it?"

A determination passed in her eyes, "I will find a way. There is no other option."

With that the Ex- ACP left the room, leaving the Director stunned and in the state of disbelieve. 

She was still in the same state when she announced it to team next day, and everyone jumped at the announcement. It was like they were in some kind of haze after what happened yesterday, stunned and dreading for something, but the resignation of the ACP was the last thing they expected, snapping them out of their dazed state.

"Resign?" Shree's big eyes widen more behind the glasses.

"She don't do resign." Sameer said more to himself.

"Really?" Sakshi shared her scepticism behind this.

"When?" Only Rawte asked the logical and important question.

"Last night."

"You could have told us then." Sameer's voice was surprisingly accusing.

"Resign?" Shree repeated.

Despite the resignation, the order of investigation came that evening, also the flashing shiny breaking news on every news channel with the fine quality CCTV footage of ETF cameras. Aisha fired the CCTV guards that day, and struggled between pulling her own hair out and cursing the ACP (ex ACP?) who left them to deal with this whirlwind. If she was in her senses, she would never accuse the ACP for her cowardness, but she was pissed and reasons be da*ned. Reporters swimmed in the front and back exits of ETF, following and shouting questions at the employees and team, investigators asked questions to the team who tried their best, surprisingly, to defend the ACP, even if the chances of her coming back and getting out of this investigation looked very slim. To add more to the woes, her phone was switched off the moment she stepped out of ETF. Aisha is all for blocking Media, but it was also blocking her connection with the ACP. 

Amidst all this chaos, the only person calm was Raghu sir. He saw it all and chances were he was the only one who will know the result of this investigations first hand. He is not kind of person who will save someone because the person is close to him, so that way was close. Aisha didn't know if she should urge him to tamper with the investigation, or even try despite knowing he won't. It came from all corners and at once, she didn't know how to react or what to want. 

One afternoon, 3 days before the official hearing of the investigation, Aisha overheard a conversation between the Crime journo and Second in command of her team. After realising what was going on, she cursed the ACP once again, why she had to listen to her and bring back the nosy, good for nothing Crime journo back?

Both of them jumped when the Director entered inside the cabin, closing the door behind her.

"So you leaked the tape to media?" She asked calmly. The silence of the journo was all answer she needed.

"i just found out this morning." The second in command said in his defence.

"Why you did that?" She asked.

"Because it was getting too much!" The Crime journo exclaimed, pointing at Rawte, "I told you what if someone complain about you? See now this investigation is on your head, without any of your fault but hers!"

"None filed any complain here." He glared, taking a step toward the journo menacingly who cowered under his gaze, "You took the next step and leaked the tape. How could you?"

"I know one day she will lose control and you will have to bear the burnt. I could not let that happen. I care too much for you." She replied tear stricken.

"You should not have done it." The Director said after a while, and the crime journo snapped her neck to meet her eyes.

"I didn't do anything. I didn't have to, she lost her temper and handed over the mess on a silver platter." Her voice was bitter.

"That ass*ole instigated her." Rawte dropped his voice, similar to what ACP Mukherjee always does.

"The criminals are always doing that. You know it's partially your fault that this investigation is on your head." The crime journo snapped, "You are always defending her." Her eyes snapped at Director, "Always. If you tried to control her earlier this would not have happened!"

"Let me decide whom to control and whom not, okay?" The Director replied.

"You didn't do this here. I just don't understand why you are supporting her. You, " She paused, "I get it Aisha, you and her. But Arjun?" She met the Second in command's eyes, "Why you? You hated her when she first came here, but now you are defending her? Why is that?"

"She is part of team." Rawte said immediately, "We all stick by each other."

"She never looked this team as her own." She protested back.

"Hey!" The Director shouted, like breaking up fight of two kindergarten kids, "Whether she thinks this team as her own or not, is not the matter. You leaked this tape and that is uacceptable."

"The investigation would have happen anyway." She said.

"Yes, it would have." The Director agreed, "But you do realise because of the tape, the verdict won't be fair to her. Everyone already had an image of her as a villain who doesn't deserve mercy. You just increased the chances of punishing her." The Director left the room, feeling no inner urge to say anything else or look at her. 

Maybe she was wrong. She was in her head when it came to potential team breaker and hailed the ACP main culprit, but maybe she should have hailed someone else too.

She went to the ACP's apartment the night before official hearing, knocked the door and thrashed the I card and Gun on the latter's hand.

"Show up tomorrow." She ordered.

"For what, the act?" The ACP answered good humouredly, for which the Director felt no mood.

"Just do as you are told for once in your life." She snapped and left, stomping foot and creating more sound while walking than necessary.  

The ACP must be feeling kind that day, so she showed up to lessen the misery of the Director, because an Officer with an ongoing investigation being MIA is the last thing she needs right now. The team beamed at the ACP, something that barely did in these 20 days.

But she scowled when she noticed the way she was dressed. If there was a book written on How to dress and style hair during Police investigation, she should have read it. It's not like she ever did much when it come to dressing, she almost always looked presentable with her ever present black jeans and white shirts, but today was not any other normal day. The ACP showed up haphazardly dressed in a long sleeve T shirt with jeans and boots with heels, no make up and hair tied in a bun. The Director groaned, rubbing temple as a headache just came.

"Oh you look just the same, limbs and all." Sameer remarked.

"And you look 1 month older." The ACP replied.

"20 days." Rawte corrected, and their eyes met.

"Give or take." she threw back.

"What you are wearing?" The Director snapped, and the ACP turned to her, amused.

"Clothes?" To which everyone chuckled. The Director nearly threw over her own suit-jacket at her.

"Put it on and shut up." She said forcefully. The former rolled her eyes but did as told, rolling sleeves. Now she looked just like hers, but much more sophisticated, minus the hair. The Director stared at her hair and the ACP tied it in a ponytail, scowling.

"Happy Mother?" She asked sweetly.

"Not now Riya." The Director looked away, totally on edge.

The hearing was not unlike anything Aisha had seen over the years, but watching her (former?) friend and team mate there made her sick with worry. The Officers presented their own findings on case, ETFians were called to testify. Then they interrogated the ACP, who answered with as much seriousness and without sarcasm or ill temper as she could manage.

But the hearing never ended as suddenly their phones beeped with a notification. The danger level in the city was increased. The worry in her stomach only tighten when Senior officers only called ETF in connection to that.

It was a hostage situation in a Hotel, the group demanding one of terrorist whom ETF arrested before ACP Mukherjee joined the team. When the officers discussed the possibilities, Aisha spoke up.

"I need my whole team on this case." She pressed on whole, eyes flickering on ACP mukherjee who frowned a little, "Everyone."

Nobody was oblivious of her words, "I am afraid you can't have them all, Director," One of the senior officer said, "Especially the one under investigation."

"This case involves around the lives of many people. I need everyone." She was adamant.

"She is under investigation."

"But she is still part of team." ETFians looked surprise at it, so the Director didn't accept the resignation then.

"It's a risk to keep her out there." The officer reasoned, and The ACP rolled her eyes, Everyone can guess what she was thinking, and pressed their own lips to stop their smirks threatening to come out.

"With due respect, Sir, she has been valuable to my team from these months. Before all these chaos, she helped my team and gave her most in cases and helped them to solve. I need my whole team out there. Now you decide, this debate is more important or the case." She dismissed from her side.

"If I may cut in, Sir." Rawte spoke from her side, "ETF worked with ACP Mukherjee before she officially joined us. Everyone of us saw how she works even when she was just doing a favor to the case. She is dedicated, hardworking and gave very valuable inputs. The video doesn't tell how she works or her actions, it is only a footage of a moment's weakness. Charlie, the serial killer, was playing mind game with every one of us, but he got her." He paused, "It could have been any one of us. She never seriously hurt anyone during interrogation, she knows how to keep herself in control."

"I agree." Sameer cut in, taking over, "Yes, she has a temper, but so does all of us. This job does things to people, and that Charlie was a nasty person with his sick mind games. She never lost it earlier."

"We can't take your statement, officer." The Senior officer said, "After all, you are her colleague. Who knows you are not saving her?"

"If we have tried, Sir," Rawte said calmly, but there was a threat too, "there would not have been any clue or evidence against ACP Mukherjee, not even that CCTV footage which is on repeats on various news channel." He gave a glance at Shree who smirked openly now, "We have resources."

"You can't seriously go around and say things like that, Officer . . . " The former said, but they were cut by Raghu sir who was quiet and observing them all these while.

"As much as I like you guys to continue, there is a situaion and ETF needs to rush in there. I am ordering the whole ETF team to leave, because the result of Investigation is pending and we never suspended the ACP." He paused, eyeing the ACP, then the Director, "Go now."

"Yes Sir!" All of them yelled too eagerly and ran toward the door. 

"Mad man after ETF, never heard that one before." ACP Mukherjee remarked as the team reached the Hotel premise, coming out of their SUVs.

"Group of terrorist with Guns." Shree corrected, "At least 10 of them and 89% chances they have bombs."

"What they want beside their leader's release? Our death?" Sameer mocked.

"How original." Chotu remarked.

"Focus." Rawte and the Director said at once. The former spread a map on the SUV's bonnet which he got from one of local police officer. The team busied themselves with the blue print, talking about plans and how to take them down. There are at least 45 guests inside and that includes many heavyweight people. 

They came out with a brilliant(or not) plan to send Rawte inside under disguise, who will have small camera in his shirt through which police and ETF will be able to see the situation inside. He can also keep people safe when firing starts, as there is no way they are releasing the gang leader. He gave his team one last look and left for the old fire exit, through which he entered the south side of building. The terrorists soon caught him and he slipped into his role, saying someone locked him in bathroom. They found no arms in him and could not recognize the second in command of the law enforcement agency they are against under glasses, nerd like hairstyle and trembling face. They dragged him and put him with other hostages. He watched them communicating with the Director, demanding their leader's release. They didn't kill anyone, yet, for which he was thankful.

After some 45 minutes they heard some voice outside the big hall room, which only increased and now the sound of heels also added with the voice. It was angry, ranting and full of curses, and his heart sank and eyes threw daggers through the glasses when the owner of the voice entered the room, never noticing the terrorists with gun or horrified expressions of people who were sitting on floor.

Of course, the recently termed Evil Police Officer ACP Riya Mukherjee had to play the savior here. She stopped when she was some feet away from him, glasses on nose and hands on hips, scolding him like she is his mother.

"I always knew you were reckless, but this was all time low."

Reckless and him? 

"How dare you to leave me behind?"

Huh?

"You jerk, good for nothing human! I will fire you once we are out of this sh*t hotel, do you understand?" She pushed the glasses over nose and crossed arms over chest, mischief flashing in eyes but voice betraying nothing, "Or do I have to make you understand?"

He would have laughed internally later about the irony of her threat to fire him when she is very much is in danger of that herself, as soon the terrorists snapped her attention and she tried to look scared (and failed miserably). She made a story that she is some psychologist, he is her assistant (what?!) and they were working on some case when she fell asleep and he went out to bring her Coffee, but he never showed up. Soon the terrorists made her sit beside him, glaring at them both.

"What are you doing here?" He gritted teeth.

"Undercover, just like old times." She replied lightly, then sobered, "Your camera is not working."

He blinked once, then cursed in mind. It might have fallen somewhere or stopped working when these jerks shoved him. 

She looked everywhere, and that too often, and it suddenly clicked. The camera was in her glasses. The Terrorists were then calling guests one by one, trying to gauze their importance. If things turned south, at least they can escape using them.

"Something doesn't add up." He said at the same time she did, and they both blinked.

"They are too dumb." She said.

"They should have known who is supposed to be here during their planning." He said.

"They didn't secure the Hotel like they should have. We both easily snuck in." She supplied.

"Something is not right." He said to himself, "Why they are here?"

Soon it was their turn and the Terrorists made them sit together, bombarding with all kinds of questions. To Rawte's irritation, even in this hostage situation she managed to charm one of the Gun man, who was literally salivating at her, looking at her like she is the Sun and hanging at her words. When the Head of this group heard they are psychologist, he demanded them to tell what was going in his side to convince him or they are dead, pointing at Gun. They looked at each other, and launched into the story.

"We are not Psychologist." He exclaimed in a panic-y voice.

"We just Con people." She said in similar voice.

"We never studied Psychology."

"I never even read one book on it."

"He didn't even go to College." She took it to another level, and he glared.

The Head laughed, "So you guys are like Us? Fooling others?"

He tried to blush, "Not like you Sir. You guys are, "He bit tongue and touched ear lobes to exeggerate, "We can never get to your level."

"Yeah, never." Her voice had the hidden sarcasm none but only he could understand.

"You guys are together? Brother Sister? Boyfriend  girfriend? Husband wife?" He asked again.

"Partners." It came out of nowhere, and somehow it fitted. She gave a side glance toward him.

"Share Money and ocassionally, room." She waved her hand, "Too much high rates for people like us."

"I know." The earlier creep hummed and Rawte wanted to punch him just to satisfy himself. 

The Head of Gang was satisfied with the grilling and sent them back.

"I never went to College." He glared, to which she shrugged.

"You do kinda look like Conman." 

"And you like my partner." He looked away, hiding annoyance. 

After another 30 minutes she excused herself for washroom and returned with a smug look on face. He was itching to ask what is it, but then he noticed a kind of restlessness among the Gun men. In the next 30 minutes they gave ultimatum to Police, but this time they demanded helicopter and cash of 1 crore instead of their leader.

"They ditched their leader." He said to himself, looking at her curiously, "What happened?"

"I tipped others." She said softly, voice so low that he had to lean close to listen, their heads touching, "I think Aisha figured out."

"What?"

"I think they had another plan." She paused and looked around, "Another team was trying to help their leader escape while ETF is busy in here."

"From the looks of it they failed." He said, "That explain the ditching."

"We need to move." and they went over their plan in hushed tone. 

Soon everyone of them could hear the commotion outside, ETF and other law enforcement were at their doors with guns and muscle power to take them down. Amidst the confusion, they both also tackled some of guards and got some Guns, and they helped the hostages to escape using the old fire exit. Once the hostages were out of picture, a cross firing started between the two groups which lasted for hours, injuring people on both sides. The firing reached it's climax when one of them got a hold of Shree who was slightly distracted due to his bullets ending quickly. The gun man and 3 of him remaining on their feets quickly, helding the Tech expert of ETF like a shield.

"Let us go." He threatened, and all 5 of them moved backward to escape. Due to their rising fear and immobile movements the law enforcement was able to take down 3 of them. The rest of the two dragged Shree near the fire exit where the hostages escaped earlier.

"One scratch on him and your bodies will be in pieces, trust me." ACP Mukherjee was so dead serious in her threat that none could mistake her, however absurd that sound. One of the fool shot at her and he was dead by some bullets of Chotu.

"Let him go." Rawte said. The Gun man saw no way to escape so he pushed Shree toward them, and hurried to run down the stairs. Behind him ran ACP Mukherjee, Rawte and Chotu, and they got the man in the backyard, not before he shot directly at the ACP. All of them heard the sickening thud behind them and how she fell almost at the same time the bullet hit her. While Chotu ran to beat the Man into pulp, Rawte hurried to check on her and medics and other police officers ran toward them.

"No no no no," Arjun said to himself, heart thumping loudly in chest as he kneeled down beside her. His eyes and hands ran quickly over her and saw no blood. She exhaled at the same time he did, relief instantly filling. She moved herself up and sat, touching directly over her heart.

"It's stuck here." She said unnecessarily, because he could see it too, but the words only added to emphasise the point. The bullet stucked and didn't go through her heart. She was alive, no scratch on body.

He helped her to remove the bullet proof jacket which was under the suit-jacket Director gave her earlier that day, both of their hands shaking. He needed to do something, and going over to the scumbag who shot at her was the last thing on his mind. She touched the place over heart once again, even if she doesn't feel any pain he knew there would be bruises instantly.

"We are okay." He said mostly to himself, eyes never leaving her. His one hand gripped the bullet proof jacket tightly while the other found it's place on her upper arm, just to assure himself. 

"Yeah." She agreed.

Later that evening, ETF's Second in command ACP Arjun Rawte watched the world around him with a detached feeling, dispassionately, like he had no interest for it anymore. The adrenaline which drained him completely left hollowness behind, all he wanted to do was to have a long shower, wash the horrors of today and go to bed. He saw Liza rushing to Shree and engulfing him in a big hug, and the IT expert of the team excitedly telling how the ACP threatened the guy who had a Gun in his head. Liza cursed the piece of sh*t and Chotu assured he took care of it. Sameer along with Director was off to give statements to Media, while a medic team was checking the said ACP who was reluctant. She didn't have any bleeding, but like he had thought, she had bruises.

It's not like he had to witness a situation like this for the first time. He was part of many hostage negotiations and most of them ended up in body counts. It's not the first time someone of his team was held by Gun man or shot at. But something was different today. He was never scared earlier. In fact, he prided himself to be most level headed and calm when everyone else was panicking around him. But today, it was different. The fear he felt when the ACP had fallen on ground was different. He only feels like that when Shree or Sameer is hurt like that. 

Amidst of the chaos, his mind was suddenly filled with clarity and his eyes found it's way to the ACP again. 

She has become important to him. As important as his family member and Best Friend.

To be honest, she was always different, and important. It should not have surprised him. But the thing took his breath away was the intensity of his reaction. Sure, if it was Shree or Sameer he would have been worried sick, but when she fell on ground he literally felt his breath stuck in throat and heart bursting in his chest. That never happened to him. Never. 

He went home with the same stunned knowledge

Because of the bloody interruption in official hearing of investigation, it was postponed 5 days later. Everything changed in these 5 days. People and activists and Media who held up the ACP as reckless, dangerous person to be part of Mumbai Police, are now supporting her, praising her for her bravery in the hostage case where she assisted the Second In Command. The CCTV footage and her questionable actions with a killer in an interrogation room was long forgotten. 

Procedures were the same like last time, and soon the Officials requested everyone to leave the room as they made the decision. The Commissioner of Police watched smugly while the Senior officers argued among themselves, not able to come to a joint decison. The turned to the Commissioner at the end.

"Well I may come across as a hypocrite when I say this," He started, looking at everyone, "after all, I served with the ACP years ago. But I see no reason of her termination in the light of recent situations."

"What about the Media uproar? And the Footage?" Asked someone.

"Well, the curses turned into cheers in these 5 days." He said, "As much as I sugercoat my words, the truth is Media is a TRP hungry group who run after news which suit them best. They change directions according to People's expectations, give them what they want. Now people and Media is jointly supporting the ACP." He shrugged, "You do the Maths."

To the ETFians relief and none's surprise, ACP Mukherjee only had to endure a suspension of 10 days and warning for her actions. The team came out in high spirits, all going well for them. The Director excused herself and made a special call to Sakshi.

"I just wanted to give this news before the official statement. She is coming back, after a suspension of 10 days and official warning."

"Why you are . . . " she asked back, but was cut by the Director.

"What you did this time, I will overlook it." She stated calmly, "But you do something like this again and I will be after you. You go after one of us, you go after all of us. You should know that." 

Outside the Police Department's Building and ETF it was a circus. They all demanded photos of the team and they had to give it, after all, they were public servant and this was public demand.

"Boss." The ACP said quietly over the voices to the team's Second In Command. 

"Partner." He replied back. In response she looked right at him and smiled, not her usual arrogant smirk or to piss him off smirk, a genuine smile.

Suddenly all tightness in his chest vanished and together they all posed for the Media.

They found a gift wrap 2 days later in the discussion room, with a note.

Thanks for having my back.

There was no name but all of them knew who sent it. They all ripped apart the wrapper and found a group photo of the team framed inside. 

They hung it on the Discussion room's wall, on a perfect place so that they can see when they walk through the door. 

IF abusive slang rule sucks, we are all adults here ughπŸ‘ŽπŸΌ

Idk when I am gonna unres but I like spamming πŸ€£