Choti Sardarni

Cringing after watching

neetusidhu thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Hello all,

Just saw the first episode of choti sardarni and I couldn't help but cringe. The depiction of punjabis is incorrect but the most cringeworthy is hinjabi.....props to the writers and channel for depicting our sikh culture but they need to watch our movies and alo get authentic punjabi sikh actors for the show to be bearable.hopefully after a few episodes I might change my mind....please no offence to people that have been watching from the beginning. These are just some points that can be worked on.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Alpha_Aakash thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

But dear since the show caters to whole India they have to add Hindi to understand the dialogues. We can't understand pure authentic Punjabi.

pooja_shineStar thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Being punjabi that was my problem to!

But honestly this show is much better and showing the Punjabi culture as much as they can i feel...

I feel its much better than all other TV shows where they claim the family to be punjabi or have a punjabi background...and then just add some lame OTT punjabi words like hayee oye rabba, oh my maata, satjanash etc...

Atleast in this show these things suit! And not like others where they throw in bollywood punjabi songs and noone can dance to them.

In this atleast..majority of the actors are punjabi in real life too!

Endless_sky thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: pooja_shineStar

Being punjabi that was my problem to!

But honestly this show is much better and showing the Punjabi culture as much as they can i feel...

I feel its much better than all other TV shows where they claim the family to be punjabi or have a punjabi background...and then just add some lame OTT punjabi words like hayee oye rabba, oh my maata, satjanash etc...

Atleast in this show these things suit! And not like others where they throw in bollywood punjabi songs and noone can dance to them.

In this atleast..majority of the actors are punjabi in real life too!

Being punjabi i love shows that can show a bit of punjabi culture bir the real one. I agree with you most shows go ott punjabi words that make you cringe.

I know a show cant be all punjabi because it caters to a mass audience but atleast do a bit of justice.

What i really liked is they tried showing a proper punjabj wedding... 

vena.cava. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4

The problem is the show isn't catering to just the Punjabi demographic, it's trying to relate the culture on an ITV level. So I didn't mind that it's like a punjabi hindi khichdi, plus both lead actors are Punjabi and speak Punjabi well. I had to google Avinesh because I was so pleasantly surprised by his punjabi when he breaks into it in a few dialogues smiley36 So there are small miracles I suppose! I also think they have liberty to their dialogues which is why they don't actually sound as cringe as when they do when native hindi speakers try on punjabi and it sounds wrong. Both Avinesh and Nimrit can change fluency very well. And then you have Anita Raaj as well. So that was the least of my concern smiley36

I was afraid of how they'd portray the Sikhi aspect but so far they've been doing that quite well. And for once it doesn't feel like a caricature of the religion or the culture. I think it helps that we have actual Punjabi and Sikh cast members in the show, who may have freedom to put forth their own experiences if something sounds off or wrong! 

And they make the representation feel so normal, so every day that it's nice to actually see a punjabi family on a prominent TV channel where they are not only respected but written as humans. 

Lunamovas thumbnail
Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail Anniversary 5 Thumbnail + 3

Do you guyss read disclaimer

And none in world except Sikhs n few punjabis know about sikh culture n proper use of gurmukhi  

Sikhi to be portrayed on itv is not at all easy 

Now coming to itv whole india watches the show is dubbed in Tamil telugu too 

Few people speak punjabi n know gurmukhi that doesn't mean whole india knows 

Either make each n every indian learn punjabi n spread knowledge of gurmukhi 

Or else watch it as for entertainment purpose 

Punjabi is not a cup of tea 

Rotiboy45 thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I had the same problem, i'm from Punjab aswell, and i speak punjabi too, i don't speak hindi but i can understand it very easily when listening. 

When me and my mum watched Choti Sardaarni (first episode) i was confused why they weren't speaking in punjabi, they were speaking a mix of punjabi and hindi (so hinjabi like you said) which i absolutely hate. I asked my mum why they were speaking hindi and she said that the entire india won't understand punjabi, fair point. I got used to hindi in this show now.

Edited by Rotiboy45 - 4 years ago
SardarniRR thumbnail

Why would you expect characters to only speak in Punjabi in a Hindi show?